GDT: 2018 NHL Draft

Who do the Canucks choose: Dobson or Boqvist?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
More than offset by loss of good starting goalie and head coach. Tippet's system, in particular, hid a multitude of sins.

They finished above only because our late season tanking is something else. Not to be viewed as being indicative of bottom 3 roster quality.

I don't think Tippett's system was doing that team any good. He completely sucked the life and creativity out of that franchise. I'm sure guys like OEL will be given more freedom to do what they want now that he's out.

And Raanta has put up pretty damn good numbers in his past three seasons at the NHL level, I think the difference between Smith and him will be negligible.

I don't think we're going to finish dead last, but I think our "tank wars" with Arizona have ended.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I think the only way of getting a 1st rounder is flipping Tanev in a trade similar to what Garth Snow got in return for Travis Hamonic.

other then that it's going to be hard to get another 1st rounder.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
I've also given up hope on either Dahlin or Svechnikov. With our luck you have to aim for spots 3-10. In that group, I'm hoping for Merkley or Boqvist. Both look to be terrific right handed, offensive dmen. They are pretty much the same age (one day apart), and same size (both 5'11"). I love both of their pick rushing abilities, something this franchise is in desperate need of.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
What are the differences between Boqvist and Merkley? Stylistically and physically they appear to be fairly similar. Both right handed, fast offensive-defencemen who can pass and handle the puck well.

here's what ive took from watching a few sample size games
idk what im saying so take it with a grain of baseball. it could be an opposite day for some
Merkley seems to b more rushing kind puck mover east west kind than Boqvist's north south ish thing...huh?
Boqvist likes to shoot every chance he can get (a bit erratically). has more shoot first mentality
Merkley tends to hold on to the puck longer. has a bit more patience
both excellent skater. Merkley with an edge. more elusive?

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I've also given up hope on either Dahlin or Svechnikov. With our luck you have to aim for spots 3-10. In that group, I'm hoping for Merkley or Boqvist. Both look to be terrific right handed, offensive dmen. They are pretty much the same age (one day apart), and same size (both 5'11"). I love both of their pick rushing abilities, something this franchise is in desperate need of.

yup. to avoid disappointment i'm just going to expect us to get the worst possible scenario. Looking at it, only 1 out of 6 teams that had a top 3 spot retained it.

I will be happy with Merkely, Boqvist, McIassac, or Hughes.

drafts moving forward is now for fans, instead of wanting 1 player, prepare a list of 4 guys you want type of thing since very likely the team will drop.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Filip Zadina puts up more points than Hischier in his rookie season for the Halifax Mooseheads.

He'll be top 10

Last edited:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Still too early to make an assesement from me, but Dahlin and Merkley are the only guys that have got my excited thus far.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Getting a talent like that would take the pressure off Juolevi and let him be the #2/#3 guy which would be ideal.

Dahlin-Tanev
Juolevi-Stecher
Hutton-Tryamkin

Adam Boqvist would be fine too, who just recently was #2 on Buttons latest list.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Getting a talent like that would take the pressure off Juolevi and let him be the #2/#3 guy which would be ideal.

Dahlin-Tanev
Juolevi-Stecher
Hutton-Tryamkin

Adam Boqvist would be fine too, who just recently was #2 on Buttons latest list.

I think the biggest thing it would do is make our young forward that are coming up much better. If we had a talent like that on the back end right now I'd be placing money down on Boeser winning the calder. If you took Karlsson off the Sens you would see a lot of those forwards struggle to put up the same kind of numbers.

The closest thing we've ever had to something like that is the Hoff or Jovo (neither is on the level of Burns, Karlsson, Hedman, etc) and it's no secret why they were part of some high scoring canuck teams.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
add a dman, so our future core, we will have a dynamic duo on D like Seabrook/Keith or Weber/Suter. IF we can get a righty that be great, but if not, that's fine. Need to tank hard this year. Tank for the good of the teams future.

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
I'd like to see us bolster our defensive depth not just in the first round but throughout the draft. Compared to our forward prospects our defensemen are very weak, we have Juolevi and then not much else in the pipeline. Looking at failed rebuilding teams like pre-McDavid Edmonton, Colorado, and, to a lesser extent, Buffalo, we can see that they all had a strong group of forwards but lacked good defenseman who could get the puck up. A guy like Dahlin or Boqvist would be great, but I'd like to see management target puck moving defensemen in the mid and later rounds as well.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
just be 31st place so canucks is guaranteed to draft in top 4

dahlin
svechnikov
veleno
tkachuk
merkley

Might as well remove Tkachuk from the list... If Boqvist is around (and Dahlin is gone), i expect we'll pick him.

After all, we have been team Sweden for how many years now? :laugh:

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
If anyone needs some distraction from this mornings snore fest, Rasmus Dahlin is just playing with Frolunda in the SHL. First period is over, Indians leading 2-0. Missed most of it and the stream is quite blurry so cant comment on his performance at this point.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver

Watching the all American game, Bode Wilde is amazing. Tkachuk is a clone of his brother. K'andre Miller is interesting as well.

We badly need another first round pick. The draft is stacked just like 2015.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
What the hell is 'Retch for Svech'?

retch
reCH/
verb
verb: retch; 3rd person present: retches; past tense: retched; past participle: retched; gerund or present participle: retching

make the sound and movement of vomiting.
synonyms: gag, heave, almost vomit
"the sour taste made her retch"

Oh makes even more sense now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad