Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
2 guys not being as talked about that I think are interesting are Adam Samuelsson and Rasmus Sandin. Adam Samuelsson is a big kid (6'5" 240 lbs) playing on the top pair for USA, and he has put up some points so far. Believe he is Ulf Samuelsson's youngest son, but he seems to be a better prospect than his brothers were.

Rasmus Sandin is a Swedish defenseman that has played well for them internationally and recently came to NA to play in the OHL, and from what I've heard looks pretty good so far.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
2 guys not being as talked about that I think are interesting are Adam Samuelsson and Rasmus Sandin. Adam Samuelsson is a big kid (6'5" 240 lbs) playing on the top pair for USA, and he has put up some points so far. Believe he is Ulf Samuelsson's youngest son, but he seems to be a better prospect than his brothers were.

Rasmus Sandin is a Swedish defenseman that has played well for them internationally and recently came to NA to play in the OHL, and from what I've heard looks pretty good so far.

Take Rasmus Dahlin first and then take Rasmus Sandin with our next pick?! (Or wherever) Then have our top pairing of Rasmus D's

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
McKeens top 10
Dahlin
Svechnikov
Boqvist
Hughes
Zadina
Tkachuk
Wahlstrom
Velelno
McIsaac
Smith

5D in the top 10 10.
Just one center.
Given the needs of the team and last year's pick, looks like we're drafting a D

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
McKeens top 10
Dahlin
Svechnikov
Boqvist
Hughes
Zadina
Tkachuk
Wahlstrom
Velelno
McIsaac
Smith

5D in the top 10 10.
Just one center.
Given the needs of the team and last year's pick, looks like we're drafting a D
Realize that it's a long season but we are looking at 9th overall currently. A lot of things can change but Ty Smith/Bode Wilde are realistic expectations at the moment*.

*fingers obviously crossed for winning lottery.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Saw Hughes up close at the Michigan game last night. He was the most talented guy on the ice for both sides. Solid skating, very heads-up passing game. Made several breakout and transition passes that were smooth. Very poised game from him. I would be happy with the pick.

Side note: I also talked to Marty Turco and Brendan Morrison at the game. Great guys. I ribbed Turco about his record at the Joe and he got a good laugh out of it.

Reactions: martinez

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Realize that it's a long season but we are looking at 9th overall currently. A lot of things can change but Ty Smith/Bode Wilde are realistic expectations at the moment*.

*fingers obviously crossed for winning lottery.
Hopefully that draft stock improves then...needz moar lossiz...

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
I hope we end up with one of:

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Boqvist
Hughes
Wilde

McIsaac seems to be in and out of the top 10. I guess Merkley isn't even top 15?

How much of an impact could players like Zadina, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom make? We need to draft defense and worry about a top line center in 2019. Same with the uproar about us not taking Necas....how much will this years crop of centers be better than Larkin?

Last edited:

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I hope we end up with one of:

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Boqvist
Hughes
Wilde

McIsaac seems to be in and out of the top 10. I guess Merkley isn't even top 15?

How much of an impact could players like Zadina, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom make? We need to draft defense and worry about a top line center in 2019. Same with the uproar about us not taking Necas....how much will this years crop of centers be better than Larkin?

Merkley was 12 here.

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
This coming draft is deep. Very deep. Trade Green and have 2 first round picks. This is the draft you can do that with and feel very good about getting 2 solid NHL ready players.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
This coming draft is deep. Very deep. Trade Green and have 2 first round picks. This is the draft you can do that with and feel very good about getting 2 solid NHL ready players.

imagine getting a third 1st rounder for Z

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

I don't want to trade Z but 3 1sts would be ridiculous. Honestly the best-case semi-realistic scenario for me is Green for a 1st and then Nyquist/Tatar for a 2018 and 2019 2nd. That'd give us 2 1sts and 3 2nds this year (makes it really easy to snipe specific players when you have 5 picks in 2 rounds) and then a 1st and 2 2nds next year already. Include the fact that our firsts should be top ten and we should be able to find some great players.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And a 4th for Nyquist with retention.

jonw.gif

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
And a 5th for Howard with retention and a pick.
I think they're both worth considerably more than that. If you're trading Green and Z(unlikely), you may as well keep going and I think Howard retained could be a good target for a contender. There's a few teams who could use a plan B goalie. Tie some conditions on the pick and hope for the best.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

And a 5th for Howard with retention and a pick.

I think they're both worth considerably more than that. If you're trading Green and Z(unlikely), you may as well keep going and I think Howard retained could be a good target for a contender. There's a few teams who could use a plan B goalie. Tie some conditions on the pick and hope for the best.

Follow the replies, guys! I meant a 4th and 5th FIRST ROUNDER for Nyquist and Howard.

First 1st rounder = Ours
Second 1st rounder = Green (e.g. TOR)
"[T]hird 1st rounder" = Z (e.g. WSH)
4th 1st rounder = Nyquist + retention (e.g. EDM)
5th 1st rounder = Howard + pick + retention (e.g. NYI)

I guess I'll spell out "fourth" and "fifth" in the future. ;)

Reactions: Leronziia

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Follow the replies, guys! I meant a 4th and 5th FIRST ROUNDER for Nyquist and Howard.

First 1st rounder = Ours
Second 1st rounder = Green (e.g. TOR)
"[T]hird 1st rounder" = Z (e.g. WSH)
4th 1st rounder = Nyquist + retention (e.g. EDM)
5th 1st rounder = Howard + pick + retention (e.g. NYI)

I guess I'll spell out "fourth" and "fifth" in the future. ;)
Oh wow that's a big difference lol. That'd be awesome but I think those would be 2nd rounders. (Well I don't think Nike gets traded period.)

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Oh wow that's a big difference lol. That'd be awesome but I think those would be 2nd rounders. (Well I don't think Nike gets traded period.)

Well, if we're trading Green, then we're heartily out of the playoff picture. And if we're staring down 2 years with no playoffs and Holland doesn't have a contract, I can't imagine Chris Illitch is going to let Holland make his own decisions unchecked. Chris did just allow the Tigers to jettison 1/2 of their most notable players of the past decade. I think with looking at re-signing your future in Larkin and Mantha (plus AA) makes re-signing a UFA Nyquist almost a pointless endeavor as a non-playoff team. And I think Nyquist would look really sexy making $3.75M for the next 1+ years to a team desperate for 2nd line offense. Yeah, as a playoff rental in '19, I don't think Nyquist is worth that, but at a bargain price with a bonus year I think there are teams that make that late 1st round pitch.

As for Howard, his value is contingent on him having a good, healthy season, but likewise I could see him being an attractive piece to a solid team with unreliable goaltending. Thinking NYI who has a lot to lose with their shoddy goaltending and Tavares being a UFA. A 1st for Howard @$2M retained + Pittsburgh's 3rd seems like a fair deadline price to me and seems worth it for a team in need of a veteran.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Very intrigued by this Blake McLaughlin kid. Leading draft eligible pt scorer in the USHL so far, and did well for USA at the Hlinka as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad