Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
Whelp, I'm sure many here will be happy. But finishing #31 isn't going to be as easy as some think. Lots of bad teams in the NHL.

i'm certainly not happy.
if anyone thinks that we will finish bottom, they are deluding themselves unless we get a spate of injuries. i expect a similar sort of window as last year. expect we'll be drafting somewhere from 4th-10th.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
We’ve played terrible but we’re still average with one of the tougher schedules and were on a long losing streak which means some wins are coming (We aren’t Arizona and can actually win). I’m not sold on being near the bottom unless we are still here on Thanksgiving

Hopefully this team turns into an Arizona but looks good while doing so

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I like almost all of the defenseman projected in the top 10-15, so I’m not too worried about it.

A little worried at how likely it’s looking we may come out of this draft with our first pick being a winger... but at the same time it’d be hard to be mad at getting Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, or Zadina.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I like almost all of the defenseman projected in the top 10-15, so I’m not too worried about it.

A little worried at how likely it’s looking we may come out of this draft with our first pick being a winger... but at the same time it’d be hard to be mad at getting Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, or Zadina.

BPA is preferably the way we would go every time we step to the podium or phone in the call in my opinion.

We need a lot of pieces, we have some intriguing guys in the system and on the team, but we really need to keep swinging for the fences and acquiring lots of talent.

It is worth noting that Larkin and Rasmussen seem to have the kind of industrious games that more talented wingers might be able to take advantage of. Using Larkin's speed and Rasmussen's size to their advantage.

We desperately need Dahlin. It would have an Auston Matthews like impact on our organization in my opinion. It would solidify our back-end for years and slot guys correctly. If Dahlin lands in Detroit I think we have cut half a decade off the rebuild and can be good within two to three years as a lot of our bad contracts expire.

Yes, for those reading that right now I think we are in for a pretty miserable rebuild. Time will tell, but I think this is going to be long. We need fate to smile on us, which I understand after a quarter century of great hockey is a lot to ask. But we are now in the wait and see mode for an elite franchise face kind of talent. Have we drafted it... I kind of doubt it, but I do like a lot of the parts around should that player materialize we look pretty good again in my opinion. Dahlin is that caliber of player, I hope we luck out.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Getting another 1st from a contender at 20-25 would be nice to target those defenceman, if we don't win Dahlin.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Semyon Der-Arguchintsev fits the description of the team prioritizing skill over size. 5'10 talented center playing for Peterborough with 12 points in 16 games. He's also the youngest player in the draft being born on the cutoff day. Guessing the team gets a pretty good look at him with having 2 prospects playing for the Petes this year.

Two other Russians worth pointing out are

Alexey Alexyev: 6'3 Dman with Red Deer who has 8 points in 6 games

Alex Khovanov: highly touted Russian center who will miss a large chunk of the season with Hepatitis A. Excellent season in the MHL last year and was considered a potential top 10 pick for this draft. Will be curious to see how far he falls, but I think the potential is worth the risk with how many picks we have/should have in this draft.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
BPA is preferably the way we would go every time we step to the podium or phone in the call in my opinion.

We need a lot of pieces, we have some intriguing guys in the system and on the team, but we really need to keep swinging for the fences and acquiring lots of talent.

It is worth noting that Larkin and Rasmussen seem to have the kind of industrious games that more talented wingers might be able to take advantage of. Using Larkin's speed and Rasmussen's size to their advantage.

We desperately need Dahlin. It would have an Auston Matthews like impact on our organization in my opinion. It would solidify our back-end for years and slot guys correctly. If Dahlin lands in Detroit I think we have cut half a decade off the rebuild and can be good within two to three years as a lot of our bad contracts expire.

Yes, for those reading that right now I think we are in for a pretty miserable rebuild. Time will tell, but I think this is going to be long. We need fate to smile on us, which I understand after a quarter century of great hockey is a lot to ask. But we are now in the wait and see mode for an elite franchise face kind of talent. Have we drafted it... I kind of doubt it, but I do like a lot of the parts around should that player materialize we look pretty good again in my opinion. Dahlin is that caliber of player, I hope we luck out.

Dahlin is good and likely worthy of the #1 pick.

But how good is Tampa if they have Hedman but don't have Stamkos and Kucherov.
Arizona has OEL, and they've been trapped near the bottom of the NHL for a long, long time, only surfacing for air a couple times.

We don't have a Hedman. We don't have a Stamkos. We don't have a Kucherov.

We have a few good young players in Larkin, Mantha and Athanasiou. But virtually every team has that.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
That's why we get Dahlin this year, Jack Hughes next year and our Kucherov later.

Almost just like Tampa!

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Dahlin ----> Hughes ----> Byfield ----> Cup ----> Cup ----> Cup ----> Cup
2018.................2019....................2020..............2021...........2022.........2023...........2024

edit: this didn't work out so well when viewing on mobile

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Dahlin ----> Hughes ----> Byfield

I'd be ecstatic with any of those 3.

True... but you have to start somewhere :dunno:

Maybe. I still think ideally we are going to need a high end playmaking pivot, someone who makes those around them better. Although I like what I am seeing from Larkin so far this year.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I really think Bode Wilde could be this year's McAvoy/Trouba... don't overthink it Detroit, just draft the kid.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I really think Bode Wilde could be this year's McAvoy/Trouba... don't overthink it Detroit, just draft the kid.
Step 1: Hard core fans identify a handful of players they'd love to see the Wings draft.

Step 2: One or more of those identified players have a great year, cementing them as fan favorites to select.

Step 3: Along the way, fans also note 1-2 guys that they think would be a terrible choice for Detroit.

Step 4: The Wings step to the podium with one or more of the fan favorites still available... and proceed to select one of the few players that fans wanted nothing to do with.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Step 1: Hard core fans identify a handful of players they'd love to see the Wings draft.

Step 2: One or more of those identified players have a great year, cementing them as fan favorites to select.

Step 3: Along the way, fans also note 1-2 guys that they think would be a terrible choice for Detroit.

Step 4: The Wings step to the podium with one or more of the fan favorites still available... and proceed to select one of the few players that fans wanted nothing to do with.
God I hope we don't draft dahlin. Such a bust ;)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

The last 2 years, yeah. Loved the Mantha and Svech picks, though.

I just wish this team would draft centers and defenseman like they draft wingers. Not sure why they don't.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Arizona has OEL, and they've been trapped near the bottom of the NHL for a long, long time, only surfacing for air a couple times.

We don't have a Hedman. We don't have a Stamkos. We don't have a Kucherov.

We have a few good young players in Larkin, Mantha and Athanasiou. But virtually every team has that.

I mean, Tampa got Kucherov at 58. OEL was a 7th overall. Maybe Dallas has Matthews if they don't have the 5th rounder Benn and the 4th rounder Klingberg? What is Ottawa if they don't have Karlsson, a guy people like to compare to Dahlin to, who was actually a 15th overall? What is Edmonton if they don't draft Yakupov 1st overall? Does that still mean McDavid or is it some other fate?

There are litearlly scenarios for every argument, but the surest path to competing is till to land top picks at key positions. Chicago doesn't do anything without Toews/Kane. That doesn't mean they could survive without Keith or Hossa. LA doesn't do anything without Doughty but it doesn't mean they survive without Quick or Richards. Same with Pittsburgh and Crosby/Malkin vs Letang/Sheary/et al. Detroit is the anomaly for competing without top picks - not the mould.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I mean, Tampa got Kucherov at 58. OEL was a 7th overall. Maybe Dallas has Matthews if they don't have the 5th rounder Benn and the 4th rounder Klingberg? What is Ottawa if they don't have Karlsson, a guy people like to compare to Dahlin to, who was actually a 15th overall? What is Edmonton if they don't draft Yakupov 1st overall? Does that still mean McDavid or is it some other fate?

There are litearlly scenarios for every argument, but the surest path to competing is till to land top picks at key positions. Chicago doesn't do anything without Toews/Kane. That doesn't mean they could survive without Keith or Hossa. LA doesn't do anything without Doughty but it doesn't mean they survive without Quick or Richards. Same with Pittsburgh and Crosby/Malkin vs Letang/Sheary/et al. Detroit is the anomaly for competing without top picks - not the mould.

That's a good point though.
What is Ottawa?

Since 10-11, Karlsson's sophomore year, the Sens have missed the playoffs 3 times in 7 years. They've made the playoffs four times, losing twice in round two, once in round 2 and once in round 3.

Are the Senators very good?
I don't know. Better than Detroit, yes.

A cup contender? I don't think so. Not really.

Also, I don't see Dahlin as a Karlsson type.
Boquist is the guy generating the Karlsson comparisons. Dahlin is more like OEL or Hedman.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
That's why we get Dahlin this year, Jack Hughes next year and our Kucherov later.

Almost just like Tampa!

Yeah. If we get Dahlin or Boquist or Wilde or one of the other big name Ds, I think you're probably still looking at 2-3 years near the basement, minimum.
And that's where you get your other pieces.

So 5 years from now, Dahlin is 22 and starting to come into his own, for example.
Athanasiou is 28
Mantha is 27
Larkin is 26
Svech is 25
Cholowski is 24
Hronek is 24
Saarijarvi is 25.
Rasmussen is 23.

Realistically - that's when you have a good shot of a rebirth of the Red Wings.
Hopefully you've got a 21 year old Center and 20-year-old center turning heads at that point too.

If that core pans out and the Wings can draft 2-3 elite type players in the next 2-3 years, maybe we've got something brewing.

But IMO, right now, we still lack elite level potential in this organization. And last year's draft did very little to change that.

Reactions: TheMule93

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This kid has 16 assists in 15 games (Allan McShane)... leading OHL point scorer among U18 players.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I just wish this team would draft centers and defenseman like they draft wingers. Not sure why they don't.

(Unless I missed your point completely) I'm really, really against drafting wingers early for this reason. The team has no demonstrated ability to draft Cs or Ds (especially late). It can't screw around with a "well, this W is marginally better than the next C/D, so have to go BPA!" attitude, now that the picks are coming in premium spots.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
(Unless I missed your point completely) I'm really, really against drafting wingers early for this reason. The team has no demonstrated ability to draft Cs or Ds (especially late). It can't screw around with a "well, this W is marginally better than the next C/D, so have to go BPA!" attitude, now that the picks are coming in premium spots.

I am with you on this point. I have no objections to BPA, but only when there is an obvious material difference between two players.

At the end of the day if you want a #1C or a #1 defensemen, you need to go out and draft them. No one is trading you wingers for them.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Wait our draft order to raise higher and you get your QUALITY centers and defencemen.

Also, I don't see Dahlin as a Karlsson type.
Boquist is the guy generating the Karlsson comparisons. Dahlin is more like OEL or Hedman.

Dahlin is something new you can't compare to anyone. He could start a new era.

Dahlin reminded me most of Datsyuk as a defenceman. OEL or Hedman won't remind me at all of Datsyuk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad