Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He's never going to be a stalwart in his own end, but that doesn't mean he has a terminal case of poor hockey sense. He's just an offensive defenseman with typical offensive defenseman flaws. Like many guys in that mold, he has excellent decision-making and vision in offensive situations, but is sometimes out of position or too casual in his own zone.

Sure, but that could put a cap on how many minutes he logs and what type # defenseman he ends up being. So I think it is fair to point out and discuss.

That said, he is not the only guy slated to go top 10 who needs to make improvements.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Sure, but that could put a cap on how many minutes he logs and what type # defenseman he ends up being. So I think it is fair to point out and discuss.

That said, he is not the only guy slated to go top 10 who needs to make improvements.
I'm not denying that he has stuff to work on, that's for sure. I just don't think he has this fatal problem with his hockey sense. I think he has to work on his defensive play, but also that he can and will.

But I also don't really think he's going to be a #1. I think he can be a #2. I think the same of everyone not named Dahlin, really.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I don't think it's made up at all personally.
To be more specific, I think the way he went about that (choosing a couple of games, picking out the bad plays, and doing dismissive commentary over it) is misleading. You cannot get the conclusion he makes from the evidence he gives, basically. We would have to assume that Bouchard makes the same errors we saw in that sample at all other times of the year, but with such a low sample size, we absolutely cannot be sure about that.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
To be more specific, I think the way he went about that (choosing a couple of games, picking out the bad plays, and doing dismissive commentary over it) is misleading. You cannot get the conclusion he makes from the evidence he gives, basically. We would have to assume that Bouchard makes the same errors we saw in that sample at all other times of the year, but with such a low sample size, we absolutely cannot be sure about that.
It's certainly a "lowlight" video, but in the same way that highlights show you instances where their strengths were impactful, those lowlights show some of his flaws. He certainly doesn't make those mistakes all the time, but it's something I've noticed about him outside of those clips and isn't completely disingenuous.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Here are some highlight videos of some good Euro prospects:

These three are some of my favorite Euro prospects for sure. Interesting to see where Eriksson goes as he didn't make the U18's and had limited exposure outside of SuperElit, but his potential is sky high with that big frame along with puck skills.

I was thinking about putting together a "who would I draft" ranking/list of Euros before Friday, if that's something people are interested in.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
These three are some of my favorite Euro prospects for sure. Interesting to see where Eriksson goes as he didn't make the U18's and had limited exposure outside of SuperElit, but his potential is sky high with that big frame along with puck skills.

I was thinking about putting together a "who would I draft" ranking/list of Euros before Friday, if that's something people are interested in.
I'd be interested.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I think that's a great idea, maybe even make a separate thread for it if you want to.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
With Bouchard it’s more like he’s a good defensive d-man because he is such a good outlet passer. The more the puck is in their end the less he has to defend. We need guys that transport the puck. That’s why a guy like polack sucks because he is constantly defending

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
The Bouchard hockey sense thing is 100% bs. Cherry picking at its worst.

it's just bizarre to see wildly divergent opinions like that

like there's this hockey sense thing a few people here and there are pushing with Bouchard but at the same time most places you look say the opposite and have it as a strength

like how he finished 3rd in his conference in an OHL coaches poll for "smartest player" or the many scouting lists that refer to him as "smart"(Craig Button), "makes great passes to the right people at the right time"(McKenzie), "thinks the game well"(Sam Cosentino over at sportsnet) and many others,meanwhile even Bouchard himself describes himself as "I'm an offensive defenceman who sees the ice well,makes good pass"

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
it's just bizarre to see wildly divergent opinions like that

like there's this hockey sense thing a few people here and there are pushing with Bouchard but at the same time most places you look say the opposite and have it as a strength

like how he finished 3rd in his conference in an OHL coaches poll for "smartest player" or the many scouting lists that refer to him as "smart"(Craig Button), "makes great passes to the right people at the right time"(McKenzie), "thinks the game well"(Sam Cosentino over at sportsnet) and many others,meanwhile even Bouchard himself describes himself as "I'm an offensive defenceman who sees the ice well,makes good pass"

What it kinda seems like then is that Bouchard is really good and really on it when he's got the puck on his stick, but less so when he's playing without it.

Basically when he can dictate what's happening, it's good. When he's not, it gets weaker. All those positives are about Bouchard's decisions when he has the puck. Most of the low-lights in that video that were pointed out were really times where he didn't have the puck and was taking away lanes to the net and such.

It's entirely possible that he can be really good when in control of the puck but need a lot of work on positioning and what he does without it.

Reactions: NickH8 and odin1981

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
McKenzie's final rankings are out (top 93 overall):

https://www.tsn.ca/kotkaniemi-surges-into-top-five-of-tsn-draft-ranking-1.1115400

Lots of movement. He lists Dobson at #6 and Alexeyev at #30...I'd be very happy if that's how it panned out on Friday.

Some thoughts:
-Looks like Wilde, Tychonick, and Merkley all have taken a tumble since the Combine interviews
-Jake Wise at #52 is crazy... way underrated
-Veleno came in higher than I expected
- The only situation I would trade back is if we took Boqvist 7-10

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Based on Bob’s list, I would go

6- Dobson
30- Alexeyev
33- McBain
36- Wise
67- Demin
81- Kurashev
84- Weiss
I personally want Boqvist, but I don't think the Wings do so assuming he's out I'd go:
6. Dobson
30. Merkley
33. Berggren
36.Olofsson
67. McShane
81.Iskhakov
84. Goalie

I'd be ecstatic if the draft played out like either of our lists.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
With Wise, McLaughlin, Tychonick, and Durzi all ranked around the #50 mark... I would really try and package those two 3rd's together for another 2nd round pick.
Or AA and both 3rds for 2 more 2nds, depending who's still on the board. It's gonna be a fun watch.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
What it kinda seems like then is that Bouchard is really good and really on it when he's got the puck on his stick, but less so when he's playing without it.

Basically when he can dictate what's happening, it's good. When he's not, it gets weaker. All those positives are about Bouchard's decisions when he has the puck. Most of the low-lights in that video that were pointed out were really times where he didn't have the puck and was taking away lanes to the net and such.

It's entirely possible that he can be really good when in control of the puck but need a lot of work on positioning and what he does without it.

This is a much better way of what I was trying to say. Which is why between the two I prefer Dobsen of the two. When the puck isn't on his stick he has much less to worry about.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
This is a much better way of what I was trying to say. Which is why between the two I prefer Dobsen of the two. When the puck isn't on his stick he has much less to worry about.
I understand the logic, but if Bouchard is that good of a puck mover and see's the ice so much better when he has the puck then I take him, as the plays he makes are gonna result in a significant amount of more offensive zone chances/zone time

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
It Bouchard or Dobson for me. Just pick one of them. Dont take a winger and dont take a small defensmen. This is so easy where Detroit is drafting at and at least one will be there at 6.

Im confident Detroit will f*** it up as they never make the easy smart move.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015

This is basically my view of him. I have no doubt he will be at least a 30 point guy in the NHL. My issue with him is his play without the puck. I still have him as a top 10 pick and I'm not as down on him as some of the other people on HF, but he has some issues.
I think the reason that post blew up was because for a while people have pegged Bouchard as some great all around defenseman, when he's not. Farkas articulated what a lot of people were thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad