Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
For those who fancy trading back, the Canucks Olli Juolevi will undergo a microdiscectomy procedure for a disc in his lower-back, out a minimum 3 months. This may mean a draft preference change for the Nucks to a D.
Most of the time i see the Nuck fans chanting for Noah Dobson, Not sure what Jim Bennings preference is. But it wouldn't shock me if the Nucks don't go D in this draft.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Just realized it’s been 14 years since the Wings last spent their first pick in a draft on a guy who plays in Europe. And that last one was a 3rd rounder, Franzen in 2004. The decade leading up to that they did it a lot.

Reactions: Frk It

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Most of the time i see the Nuck fans chanting for Noah Dobson, Not sure what Jim Bennings preference is. But it wouldn't shock me if the Nucks don't go D in this draft.

They would be stupid not to

They have at least three high end potential forwards

If They can build that blue line they will be good

Plus I think Karlsson winds up in Vancouver

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
They would be stupid not to

They have at least three high end potential forwards

If They can build that blue line they will be good

Plus I think Karlsson winds up in Vancouver

For Karlsson to end up there that means they don't have the 7th pick. Karlsson is getting moved at this draft, I don't think the Canucks have the ammunition to acquire him. Vegas still appears to be in the best position to land him.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
"We want to take the best player. We would like, in a perfect world, if the best player is a defenseman at No. 7. We have a lot of depth at forward. We've drafted a lot of forwards the last few years. We feel like we have some real good forwards coming. In a perfect world, if the best player was a defenseman it would be the perfect scenario."

Basically, because he can't help himself, Jim Benning has said "we ;) want ;) best player available ;) (btw we want dobson ;) )"

But he also says he's not locked into taking a defenseman, and they've also been dangling the pick to other teams. My guess is they want one of Dobson and Wahlstrom, and if they don't get their guy, they'll trade the pick.

Last edited:

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
So I posted this on the trade forum, but what would you guys think about this:

Montreal gets: #6, #30, and Athanasiou

Detroit gets: #3 and #56

Ideally, Detroit drafts Zadina at 3 and Montreal gets Kotkaniemi at 6.

Thoughts? Keep in mind AA would have been Montreal's 7th highest scorer last year.

Figured this was possible since that vid with Drapes has Regner saying that Holland is rumored to really covet Zadina.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017

Thoughts? Keep in mind AA would have been Montreal's 7th highest scorer last year.

Figured this was possible since that vid with Drapes has Regner saying that Holland is rumored to really covet Zadina.

i don't know...i think detroit should really pick a defender. I'd have a hard time being happy about trading up to grab a winger. Imo, it wouldn't be a real step forward for this franchise

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

Detroit has absolutely no business trading extra assets to draft a player of similar talent at a position they need less.

And according to McKenzie, Zadina is falling anyway (lack of straight line speed/power). There's no need to trade up to get him. We're confusing Regner saying that he wants this to happen with him saying that it will happen (and I think he's confused himself, too). He's been harping on this for months now. He is legit Zadina-obsessed.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
For Karlsson to end up there that means they don't have the 7th pick. Karlsson is getting moved at this draft, I don't think the Canucks have the ammunition to acquire him. Vegas still appears to be in the best position to land him.

Meh I don't know

I personally think they do

Ottawa does not have a first next year, I am certain Vancouver would move that

But more than the return, all that matters is where would he sign? Vancouver like detroit is notorious for valuing Swedes

I just have Vancouver high on my list

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

This year I don't want them to loose any pics 1 and second round, especially we don't know if #3 pick will be better than #6

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Detroit has absolutely no business trading extra assets to draft a player of similar talent at a position they need less.

And according to McKenzie, Zadina is falling anyway (lack of straight line speed/power). There's no need to trade up to get him. We're confusing Regner saying that he wants this to happen with him saying that it will happen (and I think he's confused himself, too). He's been harping on this for months now. He is legit Zadina-obsessed.

That is the reason I have always been lower on him, I actually have dropped him to 9 putting Kotkaniemi over him. I would rather have him as a center over Zadina.

Now Zadina has thrived with this problem even in junior. He is very good at playing in tight spaces and beating people by inviting in pressure and using his body to get free. I do believe he will score goals at the NHL level, I just don't see the out and out game-breaker a lot of other people do. I guess he could be a Vanek type at the NHL level and at his peak he was a monster goal scorer. I think the Hossa comparisons are a little off he doesn't have that kind of skating or power. I will hope he works out like prime Vanek if we get him. I am just not as sold as most on his ability.

Last edited:

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

I see absolutely no reason to give up assets to draft a winger.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That is the reason I have always been lower on him, I actually have dropped him to 9 putting Kotkaniemi over him. I would rather have him as a center over Zadina.

Now Zadina has thrived with this problem even in junior. He is very good at playing in tight spaces and beating people by inviting in pressure and using his body to get free. I do believe he will score goals at the NHL level, I just don't see the out and out game-breaker a lot of other people do. I guess he could be a Vanek type at the NHL level and at his peak he was a monster goal scorer. I think the Hossa comparisons are a little off he doesn't have that kind of skating or power. I will hope he works out like prime Vanek if we get him. I am just not as sold as most on his ability.

He will clean up on the PP, will have to see about Even Strengh. I think the hands are so good, the feet won’t be an issue. He is going to give us some fun GIF’s and highlights, wherever he goes. Very creative player.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015

I disagree, I think you can be game-breaking without elite skating. Datsyuk was never the best skater, neither was Jagr. Now, is Zadina as good as Jagr or Datsyuk? We'll see, but I'm confident his smarts and skills can make up for having average skating.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He will clean up on the PP, will have to see about Even Strengh. I think the hands are so good, the feet won’t be an issue. He is going to give us some fun GIF’s and highlights, wherever he goes. Very creative player.
Some of Zadina’s highlights are shades of Datsyuk.

It would be hard to pass up on a chance to take him.

Reactions: NickH8

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

If Zadina is the style player you are after, just take Wahlstrom. There is no doubt in my mind that the difference between those two is not 30th overall.

I get that a lot of people have a bit of deal fever right now, but you really need to accomplish something if you are giving up assets to make a move.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

I had thought Hossa was the comparable for Svechnikov, not Zadina. I think each forward after Svech has most of the elements to be a great NHL player, but not all. It just depends on what skill set you hope to have pan out.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
While targeting Kovalchuk and Vanek in free agency:

https://articles.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2018/06/detroit_red_wings_set_sights_o.amp

They need to stop putting one foot in each direction.

In the last few years (since Larkin joined), Wings have been icing the youngest roster over the past decade for this franchise. When Zetterberg retires (likely next season) and when Kronwall hangs them up (proabably sooner rather than later), their league average will significantly drop. ...And this is including the guys like Franzen who will never skate again inflating their league average.

You're off your rocker if you think Kovy is going to sign here -- all head office do due diligence. Vanek might be looked at for a fill in role for Gus and/or AA trade. He's not carrying this team to the playoffs on his back. I'm sure one or both (Svech/RAM) will be on the roster making it younger, and a dman perhaps like Hronrek/Sulat/Cholo will be on the Wings blue line. All of which makes the team younger; hence "overripe" is a word of the past. *If Cholo makes his Red Wings debut this season, he will be 2 years younger than Brendan Smith was when he made his in 2011/12. #overripe.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
In the last few years (since Larkin joined), Wings have been icing the youngest roster over the past decade for this franchise.
The 2017-2018 Red Wings were the oldest team in the league. Are there a couple of key young players on Detroit's roster? Of course, but that's true of literally every other team in the league. Every time management is asked to address this, they create a false dichotomy by saying they don't want a roster full of only young players. Few fans are saying that every player over a certain age should be shipped out of town; however, I do think most would agree that Detroit's roster should probably be younger than teams who are at the peak of their competitive cycle.

Reactions: Sadekuuro

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I had thought Hossa was the comparable for Svechnikov, not Zadina. I think each forward after Svech has most of the elements to be a great NHL player, but not all. It just depends on what skill set you hope to have pan out.

I think Svech does have more in common with Hossa. I struggle for who I would compare Zadina with. I think prime Vanek is about the best I can come up with. Incredible body control, heavy shot and gifted offensive hockey IQ. A lot of the crowd that really likes Zadina like Regner seem to think he is more gifted physically than what I have seen. He has tremendous hands and skill, but I don't see an explosive athlete all that often maybe he can unlock more of that, but that is the reason I am not as high on him.

I think the only question on Tkachuk is why he doesn't score more goals. It is because he defers to be a passer, but nobody ever comments that his shot is weak or anything like that. I think Brady Tkachuk hits all the marks in a similar way to Svechnikov in all honesty. There are not obvious holes anywhere in his game for me at least.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The 2017-2018 Red Wings were the oldest team in the league. Are there a couple of key young players on Detroit's roster? Of course, but that's true of literally every other team in the league. Every time management is asked to address this, they create a false dichotomy by saying they don't want a roster full of only young players. Few fans are saying that every player over a certain age should be shipped out of town; however, I do think most would agree that Detroit's roster should probably be younger than teams who are at the peak of their competitive cycle.

scewed numbers with franzen and (I think) buyout players still counted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad