Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
It Bouchard or Dobson for me. Just pick one of them. Dont take a winger and dont take a small defensmen. This is so easy where Detroit is drafting at and at least one will be there at 6.

Im confident Detroit will **** it up as they never make the easy smart move.

I hate takes like this. If you're so determined to think the team will never do anything right (which is ****ing insane, by the way because the Wings have as many titles as any team in hockey in the last 30 years. Hell, they have more titles than any team not named Boston, Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, and New Jersey since 2008. In other words, they are one of six teams in the last decade to win the Cup. )

They make the easy smart move all the time. They're just hamstrung from doing it at will because the cap and the twin lockouts. I mean, 2012, their first trip was to Wisconsin to land Suter. It truthfully isn't their fault that Craig Leipold went bat**** and signed Suter and Parise to $198M in contract. In 14, they went to Matt Niskanen, Dan Boyle, and one other guy.

At 20 in the 2013 draft they took 50 goal scorer in the QMJHL Anthony Mantha
At 15 in the 2014 draft they took Dylan Larkin

Hell, in 2016, they freed up enough cap space to shoot for Stamkos. The fact that he didn't choose to speak with them is irrelevant, they made the easy call.

They were the only team really interested in Radulov for awhile. They sat on Andreas Athanasiou's ridiculous contract demands and got him to stay here and not blow out their negotiations with all future RFAs by caving to a KHL offer sheet.

God damn it, they've made mistakes, but the Wings still generally do know what they're doing.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Not to mention the Smith, Vanek, Tatar, Sheahan, Mrzak, & other trades giving us over 30 picks in 3 years

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
It's certainly a "lowlight" video, but in the same way that highlights show you instances where their strengths were impactful, those lowlights show some of his flaws. He certainly doesn't make those mistakes all the time, but it's something I've noticed about him outside of those clips and isn't completely disingenuous.
I think the way to read those videos is just to say that those set a kind of upper or lower bound on the player. So if it's a video with lots of mistakes, you know he's at least capable of playing that poorly. But it's super important to remember that just because it's on video a couple times, doesn't mean we can tell how frequently it actually happens. We definitely cannot. So it doesn't really let us make generalizations about Bouchard's game, because for all we know this stuff is just flukey or a really bad night.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Based on Bob’s list, I would go

6- Dobson
30- Alexeyev
33- McBain
36- Wise
67- Demin
81- Kurashev
84- Weiss
It's somewhere in the 40's when (IMO) there's a drop off in talent. I would love to see the Wings trade a couple third round picks to add somebody like a Calen Addison as an extra second rounder.

Who knows how a given draft class will really pan out, but it sure feels like Detroit could come away with two or more really good pieces in the first couple of rounds.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Ok so based on all the intellect out there it’s looking like it will break down as follows:

1. Buffalo: Dahlin
2. Carolina: Svechnikov
3. Montreal: Kotkaniemi
4. Ottawa: Zadina/Tkachuk
5. Arizona: Dobson
6. Detroit: Zadina\Tkachuk

Obviously defence is an organizational need, although I can’t the Red Wings passing on Zadina/ Tkachuk.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It's certainly a "lowlight" video, but in the same way that highlights show you instances where their strengths were impactful, those lowlights show some of his flaws. He certainly doesn't make those mistakes all the time, but it's something I've noticed about him outside of those clips and isn't completely disingenuous.

It is a bit over the top, but the analysis of those plays is largely accurate. I think he is very good with the puck on his stick, especially in the offensive zone and have a hard time questioning his offensive IQ. When you watch full games, however, his defensive play really sticks out as an area in need of material improvement. He is not nearly as safe or as NHL ready as people suggest. The good news for him is that defensive play can be improved a lot easier than the things he does well....though I laughed when the Black Book compared him to Ryan Sproul.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The late 1st-2nd round of this draft is starting to get a bit more exciting than the early-mid 1st. Lots of interesting Centre prospects who aren't that far a part from each other, will be fun to see who goes when and where.

Reactions: jkutswings

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ok so based on all the intellect out there it’s looking like it will break down as follows:

Obviously defence is an organizational need, although I can’t the Red Wings passing on Zadina/ Tkachuk.
I would be very, very surprised if we draft Zadina.
though I laughed when the Black Book compared him to Ryan Sproul.
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Where is your intellect coming from with respect to the Coyotes? With how much a shit show the Habs and Sens are, and how much spirited debate there has been surrounding their picks, I haven't heard anything that specifically links Arizona to much of anyone, especially not Dobson. I've seen speculation of Hughes, and then obviously the Tkachuk/Zadina discussion if things play out where one of them is available at 5, but I think Arizona is inherently a wild card pick because of the two wild cards picking before them.

And I think you have to include Hughes and Bouchard for the Wings. Yeah they very well might pass on one for Zadina or Tkachuk, but a defenseman will 100% be heavily in the discussion.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Arizona is lucky, they get to pick after 2 brutal GMs lol. I won't be surprised if they get Zadina

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
Looks like Ottawa dealt Mike Hoffman to San Jose:

https://www.tsn.ca/senators-trade-hoffman-to-sharks-1.1116853

I wonder if they'll just blow it all up, trade Karlsson, and let the Avs have their pick this year instead of 2019. What a mess...

I believe that is the likely scenario. You rather give up the 4th now and lose out on a Tkachuk/Zadina possible player, but keep the opportunity to select Hughes because at the rate this organization is going I can't see them not being the worst or one of the worse teams next as soon as they trade Karlsson next.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Pronman's Mock Draft is out:

1 Dahlin
2 Svech
3 Jesperi
4 Zadina
5 Hughes
6 Bouchard
"The rumors for months have been that the Wings are focusing in on Bouchard. The last month or so I had heard their target had turned to Hughes, so I could see him be the pick if he gets to No. 6. Barring that, I think the puck-moving blueliner from London with the big shot will be their pick."
30 Isac Lundestrom, C Lulea-SHL
"I could see Lundestrom sliding due to a lack of perceived high-end upside among NHL scouts I’ve talked to. I don’t know if he gets outside the first round, and he has enough impact potential to intrigue the Wings at No. 31. I could also see Jesse Ylonen or Jonatan Berggen as the picks here as the Wings look for impact players for a system that needs more of them."

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The late 1st-2nd round of this draft is starting to get a bit more exciting than the early-mid 1st. Lots of interesting Centre prospects who aren't that far a part from each other, will be fun to see who goes when and where.
And it very much feels like one or more "top 20" players will slide. Everybody is just so bunched up after 15 or so, I wouldn't even be shocked if a McLeod or a Wilde is somehow still there.

Hey NHL...anybody else want a Red Wings player in exchange for a top 40 pick? :D

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Pronman's Mock Draft is out:

1 Dahlin
2 Svech
3 Jesperi
4 Zadina
5 Hughes
6 Bouchard
"The rumors for months have been that the Wings are focusing in on Bouchard. The last month or so I had heard their target had turned to Hughes, so I could see him be the pick if he gets to No. 6. Barring that, I think the puck-moving blueliner from London with the big shot will be their pick."
30 Isac Lundestrom, C Lulea-SHL
"I could see Lundestrom sliding due to a lack of perceived high-end upside among NHL scouts I’ve talked to. I don’t know if he gets outside the first round, and he has enough impact potential to intrigue the Wings at No. 31. I could also see Jesse Ylonen or Jonatan Berggen as the picks here as the Wings look for impact players for a system that needs more of them."
this is 2017 mock draft
Bob McKenzie
TSN

June 19th
Corey Pronman
ESPN

June 19th
NACS on
LeafsHub

June 19th
Ryan Kennedy
THN

June 16th
1Nico HischierNico HischierNolan PatrickNolan Patrick
2Nolan PatrickNolan PatrickNico HischierNico Hischier
3Miro HeiskanenGabe VilardiGabe VilardiGabe Vilardi
4Cale MakarCody GlassOwen TippettMiro Heiskanen
5Gabe VilardiNick SuzukiMiro HeiskanenCale Makar
6Casey MittelstadtOwen TippettCody GlassCasey Mittelstadt
7Elias PetterssonEeli TolvanenNick SuzukiCody Glass
8Cody GlassMiro HeiskanenCasey MittelstadtOwen Tippett
9Michael RasmussenKlim KostinMichael RasmussenElias Pettersson
10Owen TippettKristian VesalainenTimothy LiljegrenMichael Rasmussen
11Martin NecasErik BrannstromNicolas HagueMartin Necas
12Nick SuzukiCasey MittelstadtKristian VesalainenNick Suzuki
13Lias AnderssonTimothy LiljegrenRyan PoehlingEeli Tolvanen
14Jusso ValimakiKailer YamamotoCallan FooteTimothy Liljegren
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
and this is what actually Happened
Yes and if we listen Pronmen , we would get Kostin who was drafted at the end of the day

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
And it very much feels like one or more "top 20" players will slide. Everybody is just so bunched up after 15 or so, I wouldn't even be shocked if a McLeod or a Wilde is somehow still there.

Hey NHL...anybody else want a Red Wings player in exchange for a top 40 pick? :D
It will be fun to see. It seems like the 1st round has about 40ish viable prospects. AA or Nyquist could garner picks in that range if they were decided to be moved.

Reactions: MikeyDee

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
this is 2017 mock draft
Bob McKenzie
TSN

June 19th
Corey Pronman
ESPN

June 19th
NACS on
LeafsHub

June 19th
Ryan Kennedy
THN

June 16th
1Nico HischierNico HischierNolan PatrickNolan Patrick
2Nolan PatrickNolan PatrickNico HischierNico Hischier
3Miro HeiskanenGabe VilardiGabe VilardiGabe Vilardi
4Cale MakarCody GlassOwen TippettMiro Heiskanen
5Gabe VilardiNick SuzukiMiro HeiskanenCale Makar
6Casey MittelstadtOwen TippettCody GlassCasey Mittelstadt
7Elias PetterssonEeli TolvanenNick SuzukiCody Glass
8Cody GlassMiro HeiskanenCasey MittelstadtOwen Tippett
9Michael RasmussenKlim KostinMichael RasmussenElias Pettersson
10Owen TippettKristian VesalainenTimothy LiljegrenMichael Rasmussen
11Martin NecasErik BrannstromNicolas HagueMartin Necas
12Nick SuzukiCasey MittelstadtKristian VesalainenNick Suzuki
13Lias AnderssonTimothy LiljegrenRyan PoehlingEeli Tolvanen
14Jusso ValimakiKailer YamamotoCallan FooteTimothy Liljegren
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
and this is what actually Happened
Yes and if we listen Pronmen , we would get Kostin who was drafted at the end of the day

Like one I saw today that went something like:

1 Dahlin
2 Svech
3 No
4 One
5 Has
6 Any
7 Idea
8 After 2

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
(6)1. Quinn Hughes
(30)1. Jonatan Berggren
(33)2. Filip Hallander
(36)2. Jett Woo
(67)3. Jakub Skarek
(81)3. Alec Regula
(84)3. Ruslan Iskhakov
(98)4. Logan Hutsko
(159)6. Justin Almeida
(160)6. Jack Randl
(191)7. Karel Plasek

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
Anyone know if there is any rumours about Red Wings trades for the draft this weekend? I haven't seen too much Red Wings stuff but haven't really been looking at too many hockey insiders/websites about it.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
What are people's (especially Swedish posters that have seen them) opinions on Isac Lundestrom and David Gustafson? I think both would be solid options with our 30-36 picks. Both seem like very safe bets to be NHLers having already established themselves in the SHL.

I know that Gustafson's skating isn't the best, but he has a solid overall game. Lundestrom seems to have more potential, but is less solid defensively. Picking one of these guys would be a great way to hedge our bets and go high-risk, high-reward elsewhere.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Where is your intellect coming from with respect to the Coyotes? With how much a **** show the Habs and Sens are, and how much spirited debate there has been surrounding their picks, I haven't heard anything that specifically links Arizona to much of anyone, especially not Dobson. I've seen speculation of Hughes, and then obviously the Tkachuk/Zadina discussion if things play out where one of them is available at 5, but I think Arizona is inherently a wild card pick because of the two wild cards picking before them.

And I think you have to include Hughes and Bouchard for the Wings. Yeah they very well might pass on one for Zadina or Tkachuk, but a defenseman will 100% be heavily in the discussion.

Everything I have been reading/listening to across all platforms have the Yotes drafting D. They are said to be happy with their depth at wing.

Zadina may be too hard to pass for the yotes.

I doubt the Wings pass on Zadina if he’s available. I also don’t see how Tyler Wright could pass up on Brady Tkachuk.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Everything I have been reading/listening to across all platforms have the Yotes drafting D. They are said to be happy with their depth at wing.

Zadina may be too hard to pass for the yotes.

I doubt the Wings pass on Zadina if he’s available. I also don’t see how Tyler Wright could pass up on Brady Tkachuk.

I've really only seen them connected to Hughes as far as defense goes. I've seen a lot of Tkachuk, a bit of Wahlstrom and Hughes, and then obviously Zadina if he kind of free falls. It'll be interesting to see how things play out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->