Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
For those who fancy trading back, the Canucks Olli Juolevi will undergo a microdiscectomy procedure for a disc in his lower-back, out a minimum 3 months. This may mean a draft preference change for the Nucks to a D.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
He is a weapon, one that will be difficult to play in almost any game he ever suits up. Sure he will have off nights, but the dude has a humongous motor to go with that talent.

If we were at a slightly different point in our rebuild, he's definitely the kind of guy I'd be drooling about. I think you posted previously about his ability to change a team's forecheck and offensive strategy, and I really get that appeal. As little as I want a winger, and as little as I wanted him specifically a month or two ago, it's gotten hard to argue myself out of liking that pick, if it's the one that gets made.

That said, I think he goes before we're up.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I didn't know that. I had heard that the Nucks were looking to trade up for a forward, maybe a smokescreen. I heard that Juolevi was possible trade bait
I had heard that 8OA was trade bait as well. Should be interesting to see what they end up doing.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I didn't know that. I had heard that the Nucks were looking to trade up for a forward, maybe a smokescreen. I heard that Juolevi was possible trade bait

The Canucks have Horvat and Pettersson up the middle. They will draft defense outside chance they draft a wingee but I think it is unlikely.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Who's high on your list for the second, third, and fourth rounds?

For third round +: McShane, Eriksson, Roman, Hutsko, Burzan, Madden, R. Hughes, Regula, Stotts, Sodergran, A. Andersson, Hall X. Bernard, Nate Smith (please), Vallatti, Jack St. Ivy, Zhuravlyov, Busby, Crookshank...

Some of those guys should be available in those slots. I am sure there are a ton of other great Euros that I am missing. I personally would pass on taking a goalie this year, but that is just me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
For third round +: McShane, Eriksson, Roman, Hutsko, Burzan, Madden, R. Hughes, Regula, Stotts, Sodergran, A. Andersson, Hall X. Bernard, Nate Smith (please), Vallatti, Jack St. Ivy, Zhuravlyov, Busby, Crookshank...

Some of those guys should be available in those slots. I am sure there are a ton of other great Euros that I am missing. I personally would pass on taking a goalie this year, but that is just me.

I guess maybe it’s just me, but I really don’t think McShane should make it past the 2nd round. He’s somehow very underrated in this draft, IMO.

Tell me about Nate Smith, had to look up who that was.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I liked the big Finnish goalie a lot at the U-18's. Annunen is really the goalie I like best. I won't be disappointed if they take him, but I think he might be a reach in the third in value and not around for our next pick falling between 84 and 98, So it is hard to see it playing out where we get to take him. But he looked the part to me when I have seen him play. I would not be upset if they draft him in the fourth round.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
HSJ has us taking Hughes in her latest mock. Also, on Custance podcast he said he felt confident we would try to trade down if the Dahlin, Svech, Zadina, Hughes and Kotkaniemi were off the board.

This came as he and Pronman broke down the top 10. Pronman was picking players based on his board and not fit. Thus, the five guys mentioned above being off of the board. Of course, it’s not a stretch to say that those five are the top 5 guys in the draft so the outlined scenario is entirely possible.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
HSJ has us taking Hughes in her latest mock. Also, on Custance podcast he said he felt confident we would try to trade down if the Dahlin, Svech, Zadina, Hughes and Kotkaniemi were off the board.

This came as he and Pronman broke down the top 10. Pronman was picking players based on his board and not fit. Thus, the five guys mentioned above being off of the board. Of course, it’s not a stretch to say that those five are the top 5 guys in the draft so the outlined scenario is entirely possible.

I’d be disappointed if we passed on Tkachuk.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015

If the top 5 went that way I would trade down to 8 and take whoever's left of Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, and Dobson, since I have those guys ranked pretty evenly. If two of them are left tiebreaker goes to Dobson, if Dobson is taken then I take Tkachuk since he seems like more of a creator to me and would fit in well with our current young forwards.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I think my draft board as of now is as follows:

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Hughes
Dobson
Kotkaniemi
Tkachuk
Wahlstrom

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I guess maybe it’s just me, but I really don’t think McShane should make it past the 2nd round. He’s somehow very underrated in this draft, IMO.

Tell me about Nate Smith, had to look up who that was.

He very well could go in the second, but that is just my way of saying I probably wouldn't take him in the second (but definitely in the third). Smith comes highly recommended from friends that coach in his league. He is a very athletic, smart, high-motor center with some untapped upside and underrated skill. I have only watched him once but he really stood out in a positive way. Seems like a good mid-to-late round project pick???

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The TSN Hockey BobCast

El Bobberino saying he thinks Montreal could actually take Kotkaniemi at 3 with no trade involved. Also some stuff about Zadina falling.
If I'm Arizona, I do a massive victory dance if both Zadina and Tkachuk are still there at 5.

Let's say it goes:
Dahlin
Svechnikov
Kotkaniemi

Now imagine if this little wrinkle pops up (and it's also being talked about on the Sens' board, so it's not just an Avs rumor):

The Colorado Avalanche could end up picking fourth at the 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Oh baby...things could get exciting in a hurry...

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I liked the big Finnish goalie a lot at the U-18's. Annunen is really the goalie I like best. I won't be disappointed if they take him, but I think he might be a reach in the third in value and not around for our next pick falling between 84 and 98, So it is hard to see it playing out where we get to take him. But he looked the part to me when I have seen him play. I would not be upset if they draft him in the fourth round.

He did play well. I get the impression that he is probably one of the top two goalies in this class. I just expect him to be off of the board before I would take him (6th probably).

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Very good segment. I really enjoy listening to Draper speak. Was also a fan of how much he seems to like Dobson. :)
Ditto on Drapes.

Also I wanted to mention that on the Bobcast, Bob says that the scouts he talks to think that Dobson has an even better shot than Bouchard does. Wow. If that's the case, I don't see how you can take Bouchard over Dobson. And I say that as the biggest Bouchard homer here.

I believe he said that Dobson is now the leader of the group of defensemen. Let Dobsonmania begin in earnest, I guess.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ditto on Drapes.

Also I wanted to mention that on the Bobcast, Bob says that the scouts he talks to think that Dobson has an even better shot than Bouchard does. Wow. If that's the case, I don't see how you can take Bouchard over Dobson. And I say that as the biggest Bouchard homer here.

I believe he said that Dobson is now the leader of the group of defensemen. Let Dobsonmania begin in earnest, I guess.

That’s annoying... I’ve had him #4 for months... stupid Memorial Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad