2018 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
Samuelsson is a red wood. Big and solid. I’ve seen smotnof scouts really high on him. I’ve seen some rank him above Wilde and Bouchard but I disagree. He’s definitely a first rounder though in My opinion.

I don’t know much about Lundstrom.

Serron Noel is huge. Most rankings have in as a first rounder. I don’t. I don’t believe he will be much of an offensive forward at the next level.
He’s scored a decent amount of goals in the OHL this year but with his size from the little bit that I’ve seen he hasn’t dominated the you would think.

id hope for noel if our pick is very late (hopefully is it!) is samuelsson Ulf Samuelson's son?

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
id hope for noel if our pick is very late (hopefully is it!) is samuelsson Ulf Samuelson's son?
No, he’s actually the son of long time and huge flyers Defensman Kjell Samuelsson. And I think he may actually still be part of the flyers organization in some capacity?

However, Adam Samuelsson another huge USA Defensman and 2018 draft eligible is the son of Ulf. He’s headed to Boston College next year.

Adam is considered by most a middle round draft pick.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Very thin at C in our prospect pool.

Hate to draft on need, but I would love to see a D and a C with the 1st two picks.
I really like what I've read about Farabee.

I can see this team trading back into the 1st like they did with Nelson, Ho-Sang, and Beauvillier.

Draft Gurus out there any predictions on who Isles might grab if they try to trade back into the 1st?

Woo? McBain?

All depends on how the draft shakes out. We know Garth isn’t afraid to move up to ensure he gets his guy. With 2 firsts this year assuming we don’t trade them I see a number of scenarios. Since we have 2 firsts maybe he uses one of his first and 2nd to move into the top10(I’d were not there) to grab a player they have in mind and ranked really high(like they did with Barzal)

This draft is deep the first 2 rounds and if we’re not trading for established help I’d like to keep the 4 top 60 picks of we can. There’s going to be a Defensman available in the teens of early 20’s that’s going to be good. Just have that type of gut feeling about this draft. Until the lottery and order is set it’s hard to predict and even still hard because it all depends on how the draft shakes out.

I’m not crazy about this years goalie crop but I’m kind of thinking Garth picks one in rounds 2-4 preferably after the 2nd round. Unless they feel they have a goalie who’s the real deal. But I remember Koskinen in the 2nd in 09 and we could have had O’Rielly and Nilsson in the third and those didn’t work out.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
All depends on how the draft shakes out. We know Garth isn’t afraid to move up to ensure he gets his guy. With 2 firsts this year assuming we don’t trade them I see a number of scenarios. Since we have 2 firsts maybe he uses one of his first and 2nd to move into the top10(I’d were not there) to grab a player they have in mind and ranked really high(like they did with Barzal)

This draft is deep the first 2 rounds and if we’re not trading for established help I’d like to keep the 4 top 60 picks of we can. There’s going to be a Defensman available in the teens of early 20’s that’s going to be good. Just have that type of gut feeling about this draft. Until the lottery and order is set it’s hard to predict and even still hard because it all depends on how the draft shakes out.

I’m not crazy about this years goalie crop but I’m kind of thinking Garth picks one in rounds 2-4 preferably after the 2nd round. Unless they feel they have a goalie who’s the real deal. But I remember Koskinen in the 2nd in 09 and we could have had O’Rielly and Nilsson in the third and those didn’t work out.

i haven't even begun looking at the goalies in this draft but i also think it may be time to draft another goalie high and let him develop

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I actually think it might not be a bad thing to have two picks between 18-30.

This is not only a deep first round, but I'm strongly suspecting that plenty of very good players are going to seep through and we'll see situations like the ones last summer where Tolvanen and Kostin were still to be had at the end of the first round.

And we've still got the CHL playoffs and then there'll be the U18 WC. Those events alone will surely lead to more movement between now and June, but even looking at the current lists has me thinking it wouldn't be the worst thing to pick twice in the later third of the first and perhaps end the day with Wilde and Kotkaniemi as NYI properties.

I'd hold on to those seconds too. Suspect a couple of real good ones will be available.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
If this draft is as deep as the rumours say, then they should cling on to all their picks. Alternatively they should look to pick up another pick or two by trading down a few spots.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The draft does seem deep, but also seems to lack top end talent.

Then again, last summer's draft was considered neither deep nor top heavy.

Look how nice that first round is already turning out to be.

One thing we continue to forget, but maybe it's worth mentioning. These kids, in no less than Canada, the US, Sweden, and Finland, are generally better-schooled than they ever have been. Skating, shooting, passing - these prerequisites are being worked on and processed as they seldom have been before. Throw in the access to multi-media (i.e. highlights and videos all over the place) and the emphasis that's been placed on all-round fitness and eating habits in most fairly competitive programs and we're just getting a different level of player nowadays.

All that said, I definitely think Dahlin is seen as a top end talent, as in more special than i.e. Hischier and Patrick.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I get the feeling we're going to end up with Ryan Merkley.

1. Super skilled, elite skater
2. Faller

Seems to match up with a lot of recent picks.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think this would help:

Here are the Tiers according to DobberProspects:

2018 NHL Draft Rankings: Top 75 – January 2018 Edition

"Regarding tiers, this crop has a clear number one in Rasmus Dahlin, after that, players in the 2-7 slots would make up the second tier.

The third tier is comprised of players in the 8-17 positions, with 18-24 falling into tier four. Tier five is your players from 23-39, and then look for players 40-75 to be a nice full grouping in tier six who could and should seperate themselves from one another as the year goes on.

Remember, these are approximations and not steadfast tiers written in stone, but give an indication to the levels and groupings that certain players fall into."

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Don’t know where to put this – here or in one of Snow threads ... take it easy.

Some days ago I had a dream of being Snow assistant charged with making selections at a draft (it’s not a joke, I really had that dream).

What I remember, we had 3 picks in the 1st round, one of them in top 10, but not top 3. I had nothing at hand at all except one hand-written scouting report.

My main problem was not embarrass myself by picking someone selected by other teams. I vividly remember going to the podium only to learn that the kid I wanted has been already selected by the Flyers before.

Just before the 3rd pick I came to Snow and said: Garth, do you really want to select or WHAT? Snow, he was really very kind to me the whole ordeal, he replied: we have a consensus upstairs, we gonna select.

Ok I said, but I would better trade this pick, whom I have to select? Snow said: it’s up to you. And then I woke up.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I get the feeling we're going to end up with Ryan Merkley.

1. Super skilled, elite skater
2. Faller

Seems to match up with a lot of recent picks.

Yep, he does look like that type.

And one has to wonder what the actual impact will be of the fact that several highly skilled, strong-skating Dmen of a smaller nature are available in the first round.

As you mention, it likely means a couple are going to fall.

What has been your impression of him to date? Would you say there's a certain comparable in the NHL who he reminds you of?

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Yep, he does look like that type.

And one has to wonder what the actual impact will be of the fact that several highly skilled, strong-skating Dmen of a smaller nature are available in the first round.

As you mention, it likely means a couple are going to fall.

What has been your impression of him to date? Would you say there's a certain comparable in the NHL who he reminds you of?

Some people like to compare him to Ryan Murphy, but I don't like that comparison. Murphy wasn't nearly as good of a skater. Merkley is an absolutely elite skater, Barzal level elite. There are some great skating defensemen in this draft, but he may be the best (after Dahlin). He has those kind of legs and has beautiful four-way mobility.

Merkley also has elite NHL level offensive skills. He makes the sort of plays that elite NHLers make. Super smart with the puck on his stick and has the type of creativity that would survive the transition to the NHL.

The bad, of course, is his total lackadaisical attitude defending. I've never seen anything like it, it's as if he is playing a pickup game when the other team has the puck and is just waiting until he gets it again. Some say he has the attitude where he just doesn't want to play defense. I really hate that about his game and it's frustrating, because I love his skating and offense. His skating and offensive skills scream guaranteed elite NHL star. His attitude and lack of defense scream bust. I'm really conflicted about him. I would consider taking him with one of the first round picks as long as we keep the two, because it would be a Giancarlo swing for the fences and we could use the other pick for a safer prospect.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Werenski was an 8OA and McAvoy was a 14th OA, we can only hope defenders of their caliber are available at those respective times.

I'd be looking at what made these two successful and finding players who closely mimic their skill set/achievements thus far.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Some people like to compare him to Ryan Murphy, but I don't like that comparison. Murphy wasn't nearly as good of a skater. Merkley is an absolutely elite skater, Barzal level elite. There are some great skating defensemen in this draft, but he may be the best (after Dahlin). He has those kind of legs and has beautiful four-way mobility.

Merkley also has elite NHL level offensive skills. He makes the sort of plays that elite NHLers make. Super smart with the puck on his stick and has the type of creativity that would survive the transition to the NHL.

Thus, Barzal as a defenseman?

Something that would have to entice this team as much as any.

The bad, of course, is his total lackadaisical attitude defending. I've never seen anything like it, it's as if he is playing a pickup game when the other team has the puck and is just waiting until he gets it again. Some say he has the attitude where he just doesn't want to play defense. I really hate that about his game and it's frustrating, because I love his skating and offense.

Oh goodness, he'd pretty much fit right in with our current crew. Or Weight's apparent game plan...

His skating and offensive skills scream guaranteed elite NHL star. His attitude and lack of defense scream bust. I'm really conflicted about him. I would consider taking him with one of the first round picks as long as we keep the two, because it would be a Giancarlo swing for the fences and we could use the other pick for a safer prospect.

Sounds very, very intriguing. Attention to and emphasis on defensive play can of course come along at a later date. And if the skills are so off the charts, a franchise would bank on being able to round out his game.

Alas, will Snow keep the two picks?

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Thus, Barzal as a defenseman?

Something that would have to entice this team as much as any.
I would say in terms of his skating ability, yes. He plays at a different pace and tempo than Barzal, though. He has a smoother, Leddy-like approach, but overall his skating, edge work, fakes, and pivots is more akin to Barzal. He is an elite skater, for sure.

He's also smart and has great offensive vision and creativity. Up there with the best of them, not much difference between him and Dahlin in that aspect.

Oh goodness, he'd pretty much fit right in with our current crew. Or Weight's apparent game plan...
Yes, that's the downside. As great as he is offensively and as beautiful of a skater as he is, the rest of his game could cause him to drop quite a bit, and I think it will. Craig Button still has him fairly high, because it's easy to forget his defensive issues when you watch him skate and create offensively, but I don't think everyone sees it that way.

Sounds very, very intriguing. Attention to and emphasis on defensive play can of course come along at a later date. And if the skills are so off the charts, a franchise would bank on being able to round out his game.
That would be my hope. He is ultra competitive, so you would think he can be developed to play better defense in time, with maturity. If a team can do that, then wow... they will have a player.

Alas, will Snow keep the two picks?
I think he does. Snow loves his first round picks and he traded his last year. I think he'll trade the second rounders and keep the firsts.

Have you had a chance to watch Kotkaniemi or Lundestrom this year? Would like to hear your thoughts on them as I have limited exposure to their games. I'd also like to know your thoughts on Bokk, Ylonen, Gustafsson, Berggren, and Eggenberger. Or if there are any kids slated for the later rounds that you like.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Does anyone know how things shake out with Calgary's 2nd rounder this year? We acquired a 2018 2nd rounder from Calgary in the Hamonic trade. But Calgary only has one 2018 2nd round pick, and if they make the playoffs, it's owed to Arizona for the Smith trade. Since they look pretty likely to make the playoffs, what happens if they owe that pick to two different teams?

edit: Nevermind, found the answer. Apparently they've got a choice of 2018 or 2019 2nd rounder going to Arizona, as well as 2019 or 2020 2nd rounder coming to us. So, we get their 2018 2nd rounder no matter what. If Calgary make the playoffs, then Arizona gets their 2019 2nd and we get their 2020 2nd, and if they miss the playoffs Arizona gets their 2018 3rd and we get their 2019 2nd.

Making sense of the Flames’ future picks

Last edited:
Reactions: Konk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad