2018 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
A lot of love for the defense in this draft but I am thinking Svechnikov. An elite first line right winger. Would love him with Barzal and Bellows. Or Tavares if Bailey is allowed to walk.

We’d have to win the lottery somehow or lose every remaining game. He’s a top3 pick. Won’t go past 5 if he “slips”

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
if somehow the flames pick can be high or we can move up id love to get tkachuk... obviously id rather dahlin but just always been a tkachuk fan

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I would give my left nut of Dahlin. That kid is the best defensive prospect I have ever seen.

Realistically speaking, what would it take to acquire him? I know that depends on the team with the No.1 Overall pick and the picks we wind up with....

With that being said.... do you think would it take a pick in the 7-10 range + a pick in the 15-20 range? Add a prospect?

I'm just talking value, obviously if the team that wins the lottery has no D, then he's a goner. But in such a deep draft, two top 20 picks could do some talking, no?

At the moment, only us and Philly have (2) 1st rounders.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Realistically speaking, what would it take to acquire him? I know that depends on the team with the No.1 Overall pick and the picks we wind up with....

With that being said.... do you think would it take a pick in the 7-10 range + a pick in the 15-20 range? Add a prospect?

I'm just talking value, obviously if the team that wins the lottery has no D, then he's a goner. But in such a deep draft, two top 20 picks could do some talking, no?

At the moment, only us and Philly have (2) 1st rounders.
Would you have traded the 1st OV in 2009 for that package? Realistically speaking, it would take half the Islanders roster. The good half. Nobody trades first overalls anymore.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Look at what Lindros got after he was drafted.. He said he never wanted to play for Quebec, but they picked him anyway...then they were forced to trade him before he stepped on NHL ice. It's going to take like 3 A prospects + a few draft picks easy.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
No one is trading the 1st overall pick.

Dahlin is the best D prospect that I can remember.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
The last franchise (proper franchise) defenceman was Berard and we had him.

Bouwmeester was the most hyped in the 2000's, but he went 3rd overall.

hmm..Hamrlik was another one, but Hamrlik wasn't a franchise dman..or rather he didn't turn out to be one. We had him too!

I figure..if we wait long enough, Dahlin will be in an Isles uniform at some point :cool:

Pronger went 2nd overall and he was a legit franchise D..

Man, what I wouldn't give to draft the second coming of Scott Stevens...Now that was a Dman, that we could use.

Jovanovski too..the 90's were amazing for franchise dmen.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The last franchise (proper franchise) defenceman was Berard and we had him.

Bouwmeester was the most hyped in the 2000's, but he went 3rd overall.

hmm..Hamrlik was another one, but Hamrlik wasn't a franchise dman..or rather he didn't turn out to be one. We had him too!

I figure..if we wait long enough, Dahlin will be in an Isles uniform at some point :cool:

Pronger went 2nd overall and he was a legit franchise D..

Man, what I wouldn't give to draft the second coming of Scott Stevens...Now that was a Dman, that we could use.

Jovanovski too..the 90's were amazing for franchise dmen.

I loved Stevens. He wouldn’t even be allowed to play in today’s NHL lol. He was a machine that would destroy forwards coming through the middle like a heat seeking missile.(ask Paul Kariya)

You think the capitals wish they’d have kept him?
Haha

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Look at what Lindros got after he was drafted.. He said he never wanted to play for Quebec, but they picked him anyway...then they were forced to trade him before he stepped on NHL ice. It's going to take like 3 A prospects + a few draft picks easy.

The Lindros situation is not likely to happen again any time soon. Lindros categorically refused to play for Quebec, that was 25 1/2 years ago, and it hasn't happened since. The reason why Quebec was able to get such a bounty for him was two fold:

1- He was the most sought after prospect since Mario Lemieux at the time.
2- If not signed by Quebec, he was going to re-enter the 1993 Draft. He wanted a big market, and none of the Black Hawks, Rangers, Flyers; the three main teams in the running were going to finish anywhere near the bottom in the 1992-93 season at the time of the trade in 1992. So, there was urgency to trade and to acquire Lindros.

3- It's all about PR and PC now. Players will most certainly go to any team that drafts them these days. There is no pressure for whoever gets Dahlin (could be us) to trade the pick. So, it likely won't even be a consideration for the lottery victor.

I'm really hoping that the Flames are peaking at the wrong time and we've experienced our struggles at the right time.

If we make the playoffs, win the lottery, and re-sign Tavares, it was a great year!

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
I want them to lose every game too. It’s in our best interest. I just want them to do it healthy. I don’t agree with how buffalo fans were making game day threads for our games and rooting for our best players to get injured. That’s classless.

I agree. The discussion of injury never came into play. The youngin just went off on how I was classless for rooting against them.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
No one is trading the 1st overall pick.

Dahlin is the best D prospect that I can remember.

One can always hope we win the draft lottery(assuming one of the 2 picks we have is in the lottery).

Hard to guess how the draft will be for us, we can have 2 picks anywhere between 10-20(and then their is a offhand chance we either win the lottery or one of the 2 teams makes the quarter finals and that pick ends up 28-31)). With our luck we probably just miss the playoffs(again) and Calgary makes it to the quarterfinals. lol

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
realistically our only chance at dahlin is if we win the lottery, i can't even remember the last time a top 5 pick was traded let alone a first overall, dahlin looks good enough to offer every pick we have this year and it won't even be enough. so lets hope the flames tank and then some lottery luck. However maybe we can trade up for a difference maker like tkachuk

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
outside of the top 10 i like isac lundstrom, mattias samulsson, serron noel

Samuelsson is a red wood. Big and solid. I’ve seen smotnof scouts really high on him. I’ve seen some rank him above Wilde and Bouchard but I disagree. He’s definitely a first rounder though in My opinion.

I don’t know much about Lundstrom.

Serron Noel is huge. Most rankings have in as a first rounder. I don’t. I don’t believe he will be much of an offensive forward at the next level.
He’s scored a decent amount of goals in the OHL this year but with his size from the little bit that I’ve seen he hasn’t dominated the you would think.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'd realistically like to trade our seconds and keep our firsts, the draft this year is insane. Be nice if our other pick was a lottery eligible pick and we got some Philly luck.

Reactions: SI90

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Very thin at C in our prospect pool.

Hate to draft on need, but I would love to see a D and a C with the 1st two picks.
I really like what I've read about Farabee.

I can see this team trading back into the 1st like they did with Nelson, Ho-Sang, and Beauvillier.

Draft Gurus out there any predictions on who Isles might grab if they try to trade back into the 1st?

Woo? McBain?

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I can see this team trading back into the 1st like they did with Nelson, Ho-Sang, and Beauvillier.

All those trades were made because we had a pick in the 33-35 range then used that to move up about 5-8 spots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad