2018 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
ya leaving with wahlstrom and bouchard would be an incredible Win IMO, whats your thoughts on lundstrom with our 2nd pick?

The only time I saw him was in the WJC. I haven’t seen much of him. I’m not great when it comes to the Europe prospects because outside of the WJC I really don’t get to see them. Chapin would be a better person to ask.

As far as ranking goes, I’ve seen him consistently ranked in the mid to upper first. If I had to guess he will go between the 10-20 range

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
People are comparing both Bouchard and Dobson to Pietrangelo.

I highly doubt this draft yeilds two Pientrangelos outside of the top three (neither of them are projected to be top three picks at the moment).

Just saying.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
ok last one.... what about bode wilde? i feel like a few years ago he was being more hyped up then he has lately whats everyones feelings on him? if we get wahlstrom or veleno with our first would he be a good pick for our 2nd first?

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Im standing by my Pietrangelo comparison. Not saying he will become Pietrangelo in the NHL but in juniors that’s who he reminds me of.
Bouchard is far more offensively oriented than Pietrangelo, Carlson, or Hamilton were at the same age. He played 30 minutes a game because they literally lost their entire defense from last year and traded away all of their top forwards this year. He's overplayed and overworked and looked clearly gassed in some games. What I do like about your Pietrangelo comparison is the passing ability of Bouchard. Pulock was certainly more of a puck rusher, but Bouchard can stretch the rink like Pietrangelo with his outlet passes.

I wish the CHL recorded shots back when Pulock played, as that was a hallmark and he took 4-5 shots a game. Bouchard finished 2nd in the entire OHL in shots on goal. That speaks volumes on how much his game is based around his ability to generate offense.

There is no perfect comparison, for sure, he certainly is a unique talent. But the other reason I like the Pulock comparison better than Pietrangelo is in terms of skating - Bouchard is not a high end, elite skater. He's above-average, but could stand to improve that part of his game, similar to Pulock at the same age. Pietrangelo's skating was always high-end.

Last edited:
Reactions: PWJunior and SI90

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
ok last one.... what about bode wilde? i feel like a few years ago he was being more hyped up then he has lately whats everyones feelings on him? if we get wahlstrom or veleno with our first would he be a good pick for our 2nd first?

I like him just not as much as Dobson. I really believe if thing stay the way they are we are better suited going with Dobson (if he still is there at 8 or 9) and With Calgary's pick we can pick up a solid center in Veleno, Lunderstrom, or Hayton.

Reactions: PWJunior

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Who's ready to have their mind blown?

Let's say with our pick we end up at 2 or 3 what then? You have the 2nd and 3rd pick as wingers and by the time it gets to the Calgary pick you are looking at Wilde or a center. Now if we pick the BPA we might wind up with no D in the 1st round. I know getting Zadina or Svechnikov is a good thing but would anyone be opposed to possibly moving down a few spots and adding another 2nd? Or do we take Boqvist in the 2 hole?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Dobson is my Dougie Hamilton from 2011. I think we have a real shot at him with our pick and would be thrilled if we get him.

With the Calgary pick, I would be happy with either a center or the BPA d-man like Ty Smith. Drafting a future defense pairing with top end upside has got to be an attractive option. The more I think about it, I might prefer this option considering it's such a defense heavy class. I know we need a center prospect, but it's a pretty weak class. I think we could trade both 2nds to get back into the late first and possibly pick up a center then though.

Reactions: Konk

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Today's Tankathon is Wahlstrom at #8 and Wilde at #12. Dobson at 9 and Smith at 10. Maybe better to go Walstrom at 8 and Velano at 12 and re-sign DeHaan?

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Today's Tankathon is Wahlstrom at #8 and Wilde at #12. Dobson at 9 and Smith at 10. Maybe better to go Walstrom at 8 and Velano at 12 and re-sign DeHaan?

The bits I have been reading online, Wahlstrom sounds perfect as a Barzy wing, shoot first mentality, willing to go into the dirty areas and does play with an edge. He also can play center. If somehow the Calgary pick ends up being 10 or 11, should be able to get a Smith or if someone who mysteriously slips (because you know there will be one) out of the top5 or 6.

Reactions: SI90

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I like him just not as much as Dobson. I really believe if thing stay the way they are we are better suited going with Dobson (if he still is there at 8 or 9) and With Calgary's pick we can pick up a solid center in Veleno, Lunderstrom, or Hayton.

I would be very happy with this scenario.

Dobson is often overlooked when it comes to this D class, but he has legit number one potential in the NHL. Very smooth skater, rock solid defense, great outlet passing ability, he can play in any situation and eat up difficult minutes. Really mature kid who looks like he still has room to grow physically while already being this good, I would take him at 8 or 9 and not look back. I was always impressed with Ty Smith's smarts in the WHL, but man Dobson is a really intelligent player himself.

The thing I like most about Dobson is that he's really good defensively at a young age. He uses his feet and reach to get his stick on most pucks that enter his zone. Once he gets it, he always makes the right play under pressure. He'll make a smart outlet play out of the zone and immediately join the rush. This team needs more D like him who don't get trapped in their own end. That is the biggest weakness of our defense, individually with guys like Hickey who are horrendous at it, and collectively overall over the years. Dobson would immediately correct it. I think he needs an extra year to fill out and learn to use his size better, but after that he'll be NHL ready.

The other thing I really like is his great wrist shot from the point. While Bouchard's calling card is his bomb of a slapper, Dobson doesn't have quite the same velocity on his shot, but he gets it off quick and employs a variety of shots. Really love that he'll wrist it from just about anywhere and can hit the net, Potvin-esque in that way. He also seems to setup on the off-wing at the top of the circles and one-time it like Pulock just did on his last two goals versus Tampa. Really quick release and I see him being able to translate this ability to the NHL.

As much as I really love Ty Smith, I think I may ultimately prefer Dobson due to his size, skating, skill, and intelligence. You don't get access to that combination very often in a defense prospect who very clearly has #1D potential. We need him, badly.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I would be very happy with this scenario.

Dobson is often overlooked when it comes to this D class, but he has legit number one potential in the NHL. Very smooth skater, rock solid defense, great outlet passing ability, he can play in any situation and eat up difficult minutes. Really mature kid who looks like he still has room to grow physically while already being this good, I would take him at 8 or 9 and not look back. I was always impressed with Ty Smith's smarts in the WHL, but man Dobson is a really intelligent player himself.

The thing I like most about Dobson is that he's really good defensively at a young age. He uses his feet and reach to get his stick on most pucks that enter his zone. Once he gets it, he always makes the right play under pressure. He'll make a smart outlet play out of the zone and immediately join the rush. This team needs more D like him who don't get trapped in their own end. That is the biggest weakness of our defense, individually with guys like Hickey who are horrendous at it, and collectively overall over the years. Dobson would immediately correct it. I think he needs an extra year to fill out and learn to use his size better, but after that he'll be NHL ready.

The other thing I really like is his great wrist shot from the point. While Bouchard's calling card is his bomb of a slapper, Dobson doesn't have quite the same velocity on his shot, but he gets it off quick and employs a variety of shots. Really love that he'll wrist it from just about anywhere and can hit the net, Potvin-esque in that way. He also seems to setup on the off-wing at the top of the circles and one-time it like Pulock just did on his last two goals versus Tampa. Really quick release and I see him being able to translate this ability to the NHL.

As much as I really love Ty Smith, I think I may ultimately prefer Dobson due to his size, skating, skill, and intelligence. You don't get access to that combination very often in a defense prospect who very clearly has #1D potential. We need him, badly.

My gut wanted Dobson anyway, but I'm sold now.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
My gut wanted Dobson anyway, but I'm sold now.
I think you would love him, although he's not really physical that's my only complaint. He uses his size to angle forwards in one-on-one battles, but really its more about his skating which he uses to keep up with them and his stick checking to remove the puck from their possession. He's also not real physical along the boards, he can pin his man and uses his stick to poke or retrieve the puck, but his strength isn't all the way there. He needs to add more muscle and continue to work on that part of his game. That's easily correctable though so I've yet to really see any red flags with him. I definitely get why some people are super high on him. I think maybe the reason why Bouchard is more hyped is due to exposure and his offense, he's an OHL vet already on London of all teams, so everyone has seen him play a lot already and he's putting up unreal numbers. He's rightly ranked ahead of Dobson, but Noah is not far behind at all.

Between Dahlin, Boqvist, Bouchard, and Dobson you have four potential #1Ds in this draft, plus Hughes, Smith, Wilde, etc. it's definitely an impressive group.

Reactions: SI90

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I want Bouchard or Dobson with our 1st pick in the first round. BPA with pick 2 in the first round. Then D with the first pick in the 2nd, and then a goalie. We need another good goalie prospect.

What if they hit the lotto and pick in the top 5? Or somehow end up with #1 falling in their laps? I like both in certain spots in the first round, but either in the top 5 is a bit of a reach IMO.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think you would love him, although he's not really physical that's my only complaint. He uses his size to angle forwards in one-on-one battles, but really its more about his skating which he uses to keep up with them and his stick checking to remove the puck from their possession. He's also not real physical along the boards, he can pin his man and uses his stick to poke or retrieve the puck, but his strength isn't all the way there. He needs to add more muscle and continue to work on that part of his game. That's easily correctable though so I've yet to really see any red flags with him. I definitely get why some people are super high on him. I think maybe the reason why Bouchard is more hyped is due to exposure and his offense, he's an OHL vet already on London of all teams, so everyone has seen him play a lot already and he's putting up unreal numbers. He's rightly ranked ahead of Dobson, but Noah is not far behind at all.

Between Dahlin, Boqvist, Bouchard, and Dobson you have four potential #1Ds in this draft, plus Hughes, Smith, Wilde, etc. it's definitely an impressive group.

That's why I think we have to go d-man with our pick. Go with the strength of the draft class.

Reactions: Konk

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I don't know if re-signing CdH is even an option at this point, that bridge might be burnt down.

If JT doesn't re-sign you might have to give CdH a contract with term. Pairing him with Pulock and playing that as our top pairing might be the better short term solution. Even more so if we pick up a coach who thinks defense first and becomes available.

Or maybe if JT doesn't sign you offer sheet Trouba? It's the 2019 draft you give up picks anyhow, right? We can find the 3rd rounder if we want to offer $ that equals either the 3rd and 1st or 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Might as well think of another scenario if JT is not signed by the draft:

Sign Trouba as RFA
Re-sign DeHaan
Buyout Ladd

Then in the 2018 draft we don't have to worry about defense? Of course, since the draft comes first this is a larger gamble but if JT walks what's the difference at this point?

With the way we are trending, as well as Calgary (Monahan is now out for the year) we might be looking at two Top 10 picks easily.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If JT doesn't re-sign you might have to give CdH a contract with term. Pairing him with Pulock and playing that as our top pairing might be the better short term solution. Even more so if we pick up a coach who thinks defense first and becomes available.

Or maybe if JT doesn't sign you offer sheet Trouba? It's the 2019 draft you give up picks anyhow, right? We can find the 3rd rounder if we want to offer $ that equals either the 3rd and 1st or 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Might as well think of another scenario if JT is not signed by the draft:

Sign Trouba as RFA
Re-sign DeHaan
Buyout Ladd

Then in the 2018 draft we don't have to worry about defense? Of course, since the draft comes first this is a larger gamble but if JT walks what's the difference at this point?

With the way we are trending, as well as Calgary (Monahan is now out for the year) we might be looking at two Top 10 picks easily.

Can't sign RFA's until July 1st.

I also believe Trouba wants out of Winnipeg - if he signs an offer sheet - there is always the risk of Winnipeg matching and then he is stuck in a place he doesn't want to be.

From the Staple Q&A - Klefbom, Trouba, OEL - OEL seems to be the player I would give up a #1 and prospects for - Klefbom's injury is worrisome. And I'm sure the Jets are going to want more than I am willing to part with for Trouba.

If we somehow acquire 2 OA or 3 OA - I shop that pick to 3 specific teams (AZ, Carolina, & Anaheim) - 1st would be Arizona for OEL with the condition of an extension. More pieces would have to be involved on our end, but a OEL for 2 OA, Nelson, and Pelech might be a good starting point for a deal.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

Wahlstrom is an intriguing prospect, but if Dobson or Bouchard are available - I think you have to draft either one of these guys over Wahlstrom.

It would be amazing to have both Dobson and Smith selected with our 2 1st round picks, I doubt that will happen. IMO the Oilers and Rangers will both be looking at D men. If the Oilers and Rags follow the Islanders - one of those teams will most assuredly select Ty Smith.

The second pick - you have to go with one of: Veleno, Kupari, or Lundestrom.

Look at D again in the second.

I wonder if packing one of the 2nds and Dal Colle gets the Isles back into the 1st round, like #29, 30, or 31?

The late 1st round/early 2nd round D men (guys on the bubble) are really intriguing - Samuelson, Alexeyev, Woo, Miller, Sandin, or Tychonick.

And then with the other 2nd rounder hope for a young C like- Dellandrea, Olofson, Groulx, O'Brien, Khovanov

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Dobson is my Dougie Hamilton from 2011. I think we have a real shot at him with our pick and would be thrilled if we get him.

With the Calgary pick, I would be happy with either a center or the BPA d-man like Ty Smith. Drafting a future defense pairing with top end upside has got to be an attractive option. The more I think about it, I might prefer this option considering it's such a defense heavy class. I know we need a center prospect, but it's a pretty weak class. I think we could trade both 2nds to get back into the late first and possibly pick up a center then though.

There are people that feel after Dahlin, Smith has the highest potential for Defensman. I know Konk loves him.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
What if they hit the lotto and pick in the top 5? Or somehow end up with #1 falling in their laps? I like both in certain spots in the first round, but either in the top 5 is a bit of a reach IMO.

You win the lottery it’s a slam dunk. Dahlin is the only choice.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Without winning the lottery and being in the top 5 I think these are the key names to keep an eye on. Anywhere from 6-15

In no order.

Forwards - Wahlstrom ( I could see him rising to top5by the draft) Veleno, Hayton, and Kotkaniemi, and possibly Lundsrstrom.

Defensman- Bouchard, Dobson,Smith, and Wilde.

I guess you can add Hughes who people see as real game changer but I’m not his biggest fan.

I really like McIassac but he’s not going to be ranked ahead of anyone of these defense that have true #1 and/or top pair potential

If we end up with both picks between 6-15 it’s highly likely it 2 of the names above.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Can't sign RFA's until July 1st.

I also believe Trouba wants out of Winnipeg - if he signs an offer sheet - there is always the risk of Winnipeg matching and then he is stuck in a place he doesn't want to be.

From the Staple Q&A - Klefbom, Trouba, OEL - OEL seems to be the player I would give up a #1 and prospects for - Klefbom's injury is worrisome. And I'm sure the Jets are going to want more than I am willing to part with for Trouba.

If we somehow acquire 2 OA or 3 OA - I shop that pick to 3 specific teams (AZ, Carolina, & Anaheim) - 1st would be Arizona for OEL with the condition of an extension. More pieces would have to be involved on our end, but a OEL for 2 OA, Nelson, and Pelech might be a good starting point for a deal.

I certainly agree that OEL is the better player and I would do that too, just don't think he's available unless Arizona wins the lottery and deems an OEL / Dahlin combo on the left side is too much of an imbalance. Then if we are #2 and can get a sign and trade for #2 and some other parts like you said (doubt that is what they are looking for but certainly doable from our end), and we have say #10 from Calgary it certainly opens up other possibilities.

At #10 do we go back and take Phily's 2 #1's and a sweetener, like one of their kid goalies? With a core of OEL, Leddy, Pulock, Boychuck, Toews and possibly a resigning of DeHaan you can concentrate on offense twice. That's still a likely combination of Kotkaniemi, Noel and Woo (for another D) to pick from.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Without winning the lottery and being in the top 5 I think these are the key names to keep an eye on. Anywhere from 6-15

In no order.

Forwards - Wahlstrom ( I could see him rising to top5by the draft) Veleno, Hayton, and Kotkaniemi, and possibly Lundsrstrom.

Defensman- Bouchard, Dobson,Smith, and Wilde.

I guess you can add Hughes who people see as real game changer but I’m not his biggest fan.

I really like McIassac but he’s not going to be ranked ahead of anyone of these defense that have true #1 and/or top pair potential

If we end up with both picks between 6-15 it’s highly likely it 2 of the names above.

One interesting thought is if the picks work out do you take Bouchard AND Dobson instead of going 1D/1F?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Empoli vs AS Roma
    Empoli vs AS Roma