2018 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
So Edmonton is looking to trade 10th overall for a defenseman.

If Chia can pull it off, wouldn't it be a fair assumption to make that the team acquiring 10th overall is fairly comfortable with their defensive depth? As in, they're making the trade to grab someone like Farabee, Hayton, Velano, even Kravtsov and leaving a Bouchard or Boqvist on the board to slide to 11?
The trade board had some interesting options (Minny D? Carolina?) but i can’t see why either of those teams would give up a player just for a draft pick that won’t help them for a few years. Karlsson is an option but it requires a package that probably involves Pool Party, the 10th, and more.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Who are you planning to draft at 11 and 12? Some constant rumbling in local media? Does it look like there's a consensus between the guys that should be available?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Who are you planning to draft at 11 and 12? Some constant rumbling in local media? Does it look like there's a consensus between the guys that should be available?

My guess is the Islanders won't make any surprise picks. When you have a new GM and a scouting staff he hasn't delt with much I am guessing the safe route might be the best option. There is a group of guys rated like 11-15/16 my guess is they play it safe and pick 2 of them(or if anybody from the top 10 drops)

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
My guess is the Islanders won't make any surprise picks. When you have a new GM and a scouting staff he hasn't delt with much I am guessing the safe route might be the best option. There is a group of guys rated like 11-15/16 my guess is they play it safe and pick 2 of them(or if anybody from the top 10 drops)
So what, some combination of boqvist/smith (or any of the top D left out) and veleno/hayton?

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Of course. I will be home all day!! Getting wisdom teeth taken out at 11:00am

Should have listened to my mom and done it when I was 20.

To help put you at ease tor tomorrow. Your procedure will be less painful than watching the Doug Weight defensive system in action.
Just close your eyes and count backwards from 50 shots on goal until you fall asleep.

Reactions: SI90

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
I might throw Farabee into the equation. I don't see us drafting 2 centers or 2 defense though
Yeah my guess was one defense and one center! Personally not a fan of Farabee, but interesting that you throw his name out there. Could make sense. I guess instead of the center, you'd still pick a d man?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Yeah my guess was one defense and one center! Personally not a fan of Farabee, but interesting that you throw his name out there. Could make sense. I guess instead of the center, you'd still pick a d man?

If the top 10 remains how most expect it, I could see a Center and Farabee(not saying I expect it But i could see then not liking any of the defensemen left compared to forwards)

Reactions: CRYHAVOC

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Yeah...Let's see one of you.

People will be telling me that Garth and weight are fired and Lou Lamoriello is running the isles and Trotz is the head coach and I’ll think I’m in a fantasy land. I just hope this is all real and I’m nit getting surgery right now lol

Reactions: periferal

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If I had to put real money on what we do tomorrow, I'd say we trade one pick and use the other to take Hayton. But Lou's kinda unpredictable. :laugh:

If we keep both picks? Let me think about that one....

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
This mock draft was posted in another thread and it seems like it's well thought out:

2018 NHL Mock Draft: A fascinating, highly skilled first round - Sportsnet.ca

I like it because it has us getting Hayton and Boqvist which is kind of where I've been leaning (although I always reserve the right to change my mind in the last 24 hours!). I found this quote very interesting:

"Most teams have similarities in the 10 names after the top two, but the order is all over the map."

In other words, he's saying that among most teams there is a top 12. Coincidentally, I read today something from a Kings' scout saying that they had a top 12 on their list. Good for us, if true.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Lou being Lou he will most likely compare the lists drawn up by Isles scouts and those by Leafs scouts, and based on that the list should be pretty well balanced

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Lou being Lou he will most likely compare the lists drawn up by Isles scouts and those by Leafs scouts, and based on that the list should be pretty well balanced
You might be right! For that matter, David Conte works as a consultant to VGK. They don't have a 1st round pick, but Conte probably has a list of his top 15 or so picks. So Lou could always call his friend before the draft, you know, just to catch up.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
From that mock draft that I linked a couple of posts up, here are the blurbs for our 2 picks and the ones on either side:
edmonton-oilers.png
10. EDMONTON OILERS
Ty Smith, D, Spokane (WHL): It all starts with great skating ability and blossoms from there. His jersey is never without a letter and you can’t quench his thirst to become a pro.
new-york-islanders.png
11. NEW YORK ISLANDERS
Adam Boqvist, D, Brynas Jr (Sweden): A slight drop from original projections due to concussion concerns. A goal-scorer from the back end, especially from the right side, is a rarity.
new-york-islanders.png
12. NEW YORK ISLANDERS
Barrett Hayton, C, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL): Two-way player with a pro attitude whose point totals are misleading based on having played on an offensively gifted team where the options ran 10 deep.
dallas-stars.png
13. DALLAS STARS
Grigori Denisenko, LW, Yaroslavl Jr (Russia): One of the most skilled players in this draft class slips below his true value as there are concerns around his contractual situation.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
"Most teams have similarities in the 10 names after the top two, but the order is all over the map."
BTW, about the "top 12", McKenzie has the same players in his top 12, except he includes Kravtsov with Ty Smith at #13, whereas Sportsnet has Ty Smith at #10 and Kravtsov further down the list.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Prediction: If Oilers draft, they will reach and it won't be for a defenceman. It'll be for Bokk.

If Oilers trade, it'll probably be with either Ottawa or Montreal

If Ottawa, Lucic is going as a cap dump + 10th OA for Pajaarvi or Ceci and the Sens open up trading Karlsson/Ryan to Vegas

If Montreal...at least one of Juulsen/Mete + are going to Oilers.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
ZERO reason to move UP to draft a prospect we won't see for 2+ years. We could trade 11 and 12 for players who will help us NOW.
what about bouchard he might be close? id trade 11 41 and a later pick for him no problem and love it

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Prediction: If Oilers draft, they will reach and it won't be for a defenceman. It'll be for Bokk.

If Oilers trade, it'll probably be with either Ottawa or Montreal

If Ottawa, Lucic is going as a cap dump + 10th OA for Pajaarvi or Ceci and the Sens open up trading Karlsson/Ryan to Vegas

If Montreal...at least one of Juulsen/Mete + are going to Oilers.

Ideally we need one team to go off the board, which should hopefully lock in one of the consensus top-10 players. And there is a good chance at least one of Ottawa, Montreal and/or Edmonton will do something bizarre. Hopefully it works out in the Isles favor.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Will it take a first rounder OR a second + to pickup one of the Caps goalies?

I don't think it's possible to predict. Seems fairly clear that whatever other teams offer, NYI & CAR should be expected to offer a bit more. Still, I don't have any idea what the other offers will be. This one will be partly determined by LL's negotiating acumen (i.e. does he give an offer, or wait in the wings, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad