Speculation: 2018 NHL Draft Talk :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I’m not pessimistic enough to think that Rutherford and Francis blatantly ignored their own scouts, however.

I'd hope no GM would ignore their own scouts. But in the case of this organization and the relatively small budget that the scouting staff supposedly had, maybe Ron didn't think we had enough coverage to make the outlook complete or maybe he felt we didn't have the best scouting talent on hand due to non-competitive salaries? Maybe none of that is true and they are excellent and Ron just made the pick off their list? I don't know. But given the massive amounts of change in the organization management so far, given the penchant for looking for bargains of our owner, and given the stated desire to get "tougher" and everything that statement can mean...I am just not comfortable trusting they make the right decision.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I would bet the most RF ever influenced a pick is if the scouts gave him a choice of two guys they like and he leaned one way or the other for them.

Overall for this draft I’m sticking with my original thoughts. I’m fine with any of the top three forwards, and I think Zadina could easily end up the better forward of the consensus top two. I’ll be pumped to get Svech as much as anyone else, I just haven’t been convinced there’s a huge gap between the two.

I could give a flying fornication about which one is more NHL ready now. If you’re counting on an 18 year old to turn your team into a playoff squad your team is trash.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
What are you guys talking about with the "ignoring scouts" and making picks?

2013: Wasn't Francis's pick, and contrary to popular belief, it wasn't "his guy". I posted an interview a few months ago where JR came right out and said that MacDonald and Kron were the guys that were the most responsible and played the biggest part of picking Lindholm.
2014: Fleury was ranked 8th-10th and ahead of Nylander and Ehlers by many scouting agencies / pundits. McKenzie's list, which is a compilation of NHL scouts views had Fleury at 8th, Nylander at 9th, and Ehlers at 10th. Why do we suddenly think our Scouts were better than other teams and saw things differently than what we drafted?
2015: Hanifin was a consensus top 5 pick, in many cases top 3. Again, McKenzie had him 3rd OA and this board was ecstatic when he was available at #5.
2016: McKenzie had Bean at #12. (McAvoy at 14) and Gauthier at 17. McKeens had Bean at 10 (McAvoy at 12), Gauthier at 20. NA scouting central had Bean at #12, Gauthier at #16 (McAvoy at 24). Button had Bean at #12, Gauthier outside his top 30 (McAvoy at 15). Pronmann had Bean at #19, Gauthier at #24 (McAvoy at 26). In hinsight, McAvoy would have been a better pick, but most people didn't think that at the time.
2017: Necas looks like a home run.

I don't see anything that says Francis ignored his scouts and made picks on his own. If the Canes were taking guys that were way out of line with where they should have (Paradis for example), then I'd buy it. At the end of the day, Francis owns the picks though, good and bad, but it's not like this same scouting staff was hitting homeruns in the 1st round under JR. If anything, our low budget scouting staff probably took a "safe" stance and took guys that everyone thought was the right pick in that spot.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I haven't seen anything suggesting we're considering Zadina cause of "chemistry with Necas." It seems more like it's hack writers and internet posters pushing that narrative. It's weird cause you wouldn't see the same narrative if the players were American or Canadian. Hell you barely see this "chemistry" BS even with junior teammates let alone guys that have only played a tournament together. That's not chemistry, that's called good players play well together. How about Laine and Aho's chemistry? I think the narrative is a mixture of stirring the pot, hoping for some draft day chaos/excitement, overrating of WJC stats, and Russian bias. I've seen elements of all of that in a lot of this crap. Stat watching idiots do stupid stuff like comparing PIMs for who's harder to play against. The WJC introduced a lot of gray area because people put way too much emphasis on it, it's red flag that Svechnikov couldn't even put up a goal when the pressure was highest. Evidently a handful of games show Zadina in the better "competitor" and goal scorer. When one of these guys was presented with the context that Russian coaches for some reason relegate young players to a 4th line role and minutes, regardless of talent, the fact that Svechnikov had one of the highest P/60 in the tournament should have shown how impressive Svechnikov's versatility is. Instead, the response was that elite players find ways to score regardless of their minutes. What kind of a dumb statement is that? Of course, when you actually take deeper dive into the two players, you see that Svechnikov is on a higher tier. Not to say Zadina won't become a superstar, but Svechnikov probably goes first overall in last year's draft. We've got the same scouting team in place. We've got Dudley who evidently is a supreme evaluator of talent. And we've got Tulsky who can see the story the underlying numbers tell. All this noise I feel like is from people who have no idea what they're talking about blowing a bunch of hot air.

Zadina is nothing in the WJC without Necas. :sarcasm:

On another note, is there a site that has advanced stats for the WJC? More than the usual.

Last edited:

Johniac

Jul 18, 2011
North Carolina
I really think some of these mock drafts and rumors having Svechnikov falling past number two are to play mind games with the Canes and get them to second guess the pick. The conspiracy theory to me is that Montreal desperately wants Svech. Every time these drafts pop up, fans of other teams all come a knocking to see if it might possibly be true. Where there is smoke, there is fire!

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

There's a good chance you may be selected by the Carolina Hurricanes, who hold the No. 2 pick in the 2018 NHL Draft. Do you have any thoughts on Carolina?
"That's a team that looks like they're on the way up. They have a lot of good young players, and that suits me well. I will be honored to be selected by any NHL team; it's my dream. I watched my brother get drafted, and it was great. It's something I've dreamed for my whole life."

I’ll take it

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
On a side note. Svechnikov seems like a great kid and has quite a personality after reading a few things and watching a few interviews of him. From the sense of things I can see him being a fan favorite both on and off the ice. I'm guessing his post game interviews with Mike are going to be as good as Aho's

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Do you have any superstitions, and what is your favorite pregame meal?
"I do have a superstition, but I can't tell you because otherwise my routine won't keep working for me. My mom makes great Borscht. It's a cabbage soup that's delicious. In Russia, that's a favorite for a lot of people. It's very popular. But I can't have that for a pregame meal. Usually, I like pasta and chicken before a game."

I'm securing funds for a food truck specializing in Eastern European cuisine, and especially Borscht soup. It will be stationed near PNC arena. More to come...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad