Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I would jump for joy if we got Necas. Seriously, that kid is going to be ****ing good. Even though he's getting 3rd line minutes in the Extraliga playoffs, he's doing very very well. Kid has unreal speed and hands for his size.

that is the team to target this offseason. Lots of unheralded young talent on that team, with a new owner that may be making decisions.

Reactions: Tripod

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
that is the team to target this offseason. Lots of unheralded young talent on that team, with a new owner that may be making decisions.

I have Necas in both of my fantasy leagues because I bet this kid is going to be an offensive force for the Canes.

wow, just heard on nhl radio that the owner did the exit interviews. Wow.

For the Canes you mean?

Reactions: Jtown

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Something to think about - Hextall's trades in the top 40:

Traded up to #35 (Ratcliffe) - #44, #75, #108 (we also had #106 and #107)
Traded for #27 (Frost) - Schenn deal
Traded down for #22 (Rubtsov) and #36 (Laberge) - #18, #79 [missed out on Bellows #19, Cholowski D #20, Gauthier F #21, flop?]
Traded up for #24 (Konecny) - #29, #61

Stayed put with Provorov and Patrick.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Necas was my 2nd choice for 13 behind Tolvanen before we won the Lottery. He's gonna be a hell of a player. The 1st round of the 2017 Draft was really underrated in hindsight.

Reactions: Tripod and Jtown

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Not sure what any of this has to do with the 2018 draft and don't want to clutter up this thread......but......

Carolina won't trade Simmonds for Necas. They're heavy into analytics, and they can see his dwindling ES numbers and skill-set as he is approaching 30. They need PP help though, so they could weigh that. But would Simmonds even re-sign there? It's such a risk. And although they have their future 1C in Aho already, and I'm not and have never been sure whether Necas will stick at center (had him #8 though last year), he's their best prospect. They can't even make the playoffs, and they're selling the farm for an aging vet? It makes no sense.

wow, just heard on nhl radio that the owner did the exit interviews. Wow.

Supposedly, he wants to be super hands-on. That usually works out well.

Stayed put with Provorov

Rumor has it he was considering trading up to 3, worried someone would take Provorov.

So, he didn't. But it still confirms that Hextall targets heavily.

Reactions: Flyerfan13

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
That would seem nutty though for them to trade Necas for Simmer. Simmer is on an expiring contract and will be 30. Why in the world would the Canes trade their best prospect on a rebuilding team for a 30 year old on an expiring contract who is almost guaranteed to be looking for big bucks since frankly he's been underpaid most of his career. I get the whole "new ownership" thing, but it would not make a lot of sense for a new owner to come in and trade a top prospect for a guy who is 30 and on an expiring contract. Now, if we added something to it that is different, but that is not necessarily a road I would want to go down unless we couldn't find a dance partner elsewhere.

I think we will find a partner to take Simmer and I think we will get a good return, I just can't imagine it being Necas. Simmer is likely not in our future plans. He is far from a liability both on the ice and on the cap, but he just doesn't fit and I doubt the Flyers have interest in brining him back on a big contract which I would imagine is not what he's interested in. To me, that means if there is no market for Simmer he may just be sold off to the highest bidder and we may not be thrilled with what we get, or that he sticks around and maybe gets dealt at the deadline or not at all. Complicated situation especially since he wasn't as big a force this year as in the past.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I don’t think necas will be traded. But if he is it won’t be for Simmonds.

When Dundon is talking about toughness, I assume (read: hope) he means mental toughness rather than “grit’n’truculence”.

Carolina had way too many games least season that should have been in the bag. But the whole team would sag, and lose focus, and just fold like a cheap deck of lawn chairs.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
If we are trading Simmonds trade him to the west. It would hurt me to see him on a metro team.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I mean Simmonds -- as a leader, excellent PP player, tough customer to insulate the kiddies -- doesn't NOT make sense for a Carolina team desperate to actually take a step forward. I don't think Necas is available, certainly not for him. But I will gladly take Kuokkanen+1st for Simmonds+4th or something. Been a fan of Kuokkanen since his draft year when he was on my shortlist for 2nd rounders. Having a great age 19 AHL season too.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I don't think Necas is available. But I will gladly take Kuokkanen+1st for Simmonds+4th or something. Been a fan of Kuokkanen since his draft year when he was on my shortlist for 2nd rounders. Having a great age 19 AHL season too.

I don't think we need any more pass first wingers. I'd probably still do that trade, but I'm not yet sold on Kuokkanen.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
as a flyers fan Fleury intrigues me. His skating is coburnesque. He will never be the point producer that teams were hoping for but in today's skating game of the nhl Fleury could stand out. A morin plus for Fleury trade could be something to explore. For a team that wants to get tough Morin helps. Downside is, we are not a tough team and Morin could help as well.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Just this weekend, a St.L fan said they would be fine with a Tage Thompson+1st for Simmonds deal.

To me that gives us potential 3rd liner to replace WS as ES, then the pick to roll the dice on the homerun prospect. And of course, it gives us 2 1sts for 2019...lol.

Reactions: BigToe

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
as a flyers fan Fleury intrigues me. His skating is coburnesque. He will never be the point producer that teams were hoping for but in today's skating game of the nhl Fleury could stand out. A morin plus for Fleury trade could be something to explore. For a team that wants to get tough Morin helps. Downside is, we are not a tough team and Morin could help as well.
I keep Morin and put him in the lineup next year.

Reactions: Flyerfan13

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Simmonds might be traded as a favor for him, if he's not going to be on PP1 going into a contract year that will really hurt his negotiating leverage. But Patrick has better hands in front of the net and next year will be bigger and stronger than Simmonds.

On the other hand, if no one makes a decent offer I think Hextall lets him play out his contract, he's too valuable for one year as a bridge to the young forwards to give away.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Hextall either needs to re-sign Simmonds this summer or trade him. Electing to keep him as a one year rental with where the flyers are at right now would be silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad