Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I fear that Kravstov is another PZ (skilled but soft and low motor)
Lundestrom is another JJ (weak, bust)

Though my thoughts may change in the coming weeks.

I am in the process of doing extensive research like I have since the 2015 draft.
I'll post my wish list as we draw close to the draft.

As in years past, I will print and send my research analysis/opinions via certified mail to the Devils GM and Scouting Director.

Obviously Conte did not agree with me in 2015 nor did Castron in 2016 who I am still not happy with regarding our first two picks (especially Bastian)

Last year I was in the Nico camp and I had Boqvist as a 2nd round get.

I wish we had a few more early picks since it's a good deep draft where gems can be found in the 2nd/3rd rounds. I'll think of Grabner too much on that Saturday.

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
To my lovable and misguided haters, start saving these posts starting with the one above and let's revisit in a few years.

Some random thoughts early in my research on players who could still be On The Board at 17.

Farabee looks like a ZP clone and I mean the very good ZP we had.

Stay away from McCleod's bro

I really like Wilde as an all around d-man, though he won't become a high point producer as Smith or Dobson

Smith reminds me of a young Duncan Keith

Bokk is somewhat of a risk pick as some have called him a floater but he really looks like Pastrnak
I could see him on the right side with #9 and #13 in a few years, talk about a high skilled scoring line, wow.

I am very intrigued by Miller. Some "experts" here have said he could be another Gelly (converted forward), possible, but I see a combo of Werenski and Seth Jones some of his footage and scouting reports.
Could be a home run pick (like Bokk).

As STI has already said, Kupari is a scary pick. Not enough of a ledger yet but some scouts say he has the best hands in the draft.
If I'm Ray Castron I don't go with this gamble even though he could end up being a steal for a team like Philly at 19 and then we'd have to hear people talk about how we passed on him.

Kaut looks like a player that a team like Cbj has taken in year's past with Castron. Skilled, quick, good shot.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
can't wait for you to tell us who you want only to then change your thoughts and say you never said that at the first sign adversity for said player

You'll be waiting as long as TML fans have for a Cup, neither happens.

In 2015 I listed Barzal, Proverov and Connor in that order and I have not changed my tune.

I do recall you saying you would prefer PZ over Ivan, but hey, none of us are employed on a scouting staff so it's supposed to be fun/

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I wish we had a few more early picks since it's a good deep draft where gems can be found in the 2nd/3rd rounds. I'll think of Grabner too much on that Saturday.

Well, you must think of Vatanen too on that Saturday. Maybe that will cancel out some of your feelings about Grabner.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

In 2015 I listed Barzal, Proverov and Connor in that order and I have not changed my tune.

I do recall you saying you would prefer PZ over Ivan, but hey, none of us are employed on a scouting staff so it's supposed to be fun/

its been proven multiple times that you absolutely do flip flop. but whatever you say!

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
when will the final list be sent via certified mail to Castron?

is there room to send a follow-up, certified mailer, to them if there are any adjustments to said list? like, what if a new highlight video comes out of a certain player that drastically reshapes your opinion on him? or maybe a new scouting report? these are the questions that haunt me

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Drafting based on position outside of the top 5 is stupid (it's arguably stupid in the top 5). Drafting someone because they're better developed at the age of 18 is sketchy as well. You take the player you think has the best chance at being a star at every pick. If that means taking on a risk, so be it. I'd rather draft the boom or bust prospect if the boom is likely higher than the ceiling on the safe pick.

So sign me up for Miller.

I agree with you to some degree, but I also am sympathetic to the people on this thread who feel opposite. The three players with the biggest "boom" potential likely available at #17 are Merkley, Kravtsov and Kupari. But I am not exactly stumping for Merkley and Kupari, because in my mind they have several "bust" red flags (Kravtsov not so much). I mean, Merkley does things that are downright incredible. His "upside" (at least offensively) is Erik Karlsson-like. His skating/passing/vision/puckhandling traits are simply off the charts. But his red flags are myriad -- I am uncomfortable putting down teenagers but if you google scouting reports on him, there are quite a lot of negative things being said by a wide variety of voices. And that's not even mentioning his uneven play in his own zone. As for Kupari, his hands are actually amazing -- he can be magic to watch with the puck. But just as teeth-gritting to watch without the puck. Can coaching and the natural process of growing up change these factors? There is uncertainty.

Ultimately, I'm going to get behind whomever Shero/Castron select, they have done very well so far at the draft table. Did I vocally dislike the Boqvist selection last year? Sure, but I realize he was a high-upside swing for the fences and I certainly hold faith that he can reach his significant potential in the Devils system.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not sure if you went over this or not so if you have, sorry. If it came down to Miller or kravtsov/bokk who's your pick?

That's a great question. I do not claim to be nearly as adept at this as Mr. Shero and Mr. Castron, but I would take Miller. This would not be an easy decision, as all three players have very high upside and all could fill big organizational needs. But I think top-pairing defensemen are extremely difficult to find, and Miller has the potential to become one.

The better question is, who would I take if both Wilde and Miller were available at #17? I'm still not ready to answer that one. Wilde has some kinks to his game but his skating/shot are just elite for his age. He's got Subban-like upside, whereas I like to compare Miller to "a rawer Charlie McAvoy". I have high hopes for both of these kids, and the Devils have a good shot at coming away with one of them.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Steve Kournianos wrote this and he is the very best at what he does in my book. He knows the prospects, he knows the organizations. There is no better writer on players from less-viewed leagues like the USHL and BCHL. So yeah, I would say we should all read his May mock draft. And, from a Devils standpoint, Bode Wilde is certainly a very possible pick at #17.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

You also said Zacha had star power, teams in the top 10 should be concerned about Connor only playing in the USHL, and that we should absolutely not draft Rantanen.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
You also said Zacha had star power, teams in the top 10 should be concerned about Connor only playing in the USHL, and that we should absolutely not draft Rantanen.

That is fake news

Though I was wrong about Werenski and Rantannan, but I think all you guys would have rather I had made the 2015 pick :laugh:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
The better question is, who would I take if both Wilde and Miller were available at #17? I'm still not ready to answer that one. Wilde has some kinks to his game but his skating/shot are just elite for his age. He's got Subban-like upside, whereas I like to compare Miller to "a rawer Charlie McAvoy". I have high hopes for both of these kids, and the Devils have a good shot at coming away with one of them.
See, in THAT situation, I think "BPA" is splitting hairs, and you have to go for the position of need, and LHD is definitely more needed that RHD at this point.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
To my lovable and misguided haters, start saving these posts starting with the one above and let's revisit in a few years.

Some random thoughts early in my research on players who could still be On The Board at 17.

Farabee looks like a ZP clone and I mean the very good ZP we had.

Stay away from McCleod's bro

I really like Wilde as an all around d-man, though he won't become a high point producer as Smith or Dobson

Smith reminds me of a young Duncan Keith

Bokk is somewhat of a risk pick as some have called him a floater but he really looks like Pastrnak
I could see him on the right side with #9 and #13 in a few years, talk about a high skilled scoring line, wow.

I am very intrigued by Miller. Some "experts" here have said he could be another Gelly (converted forward), possible, but I see a combo of Werenski and Seth Jones some of his footage and scouting reports.
Could be a home run pick (like Bokk).

As STI has already said, Kupari is a scary pick. Not enough of a ledger yet but some scouts say he has the best hands in the draft.
If I'm Ray Castron I don't go with this gamble even though he could end up being a steal for a team like Philly at 19 and then we'd have to hear people talk about how we passed on him.

Kaut looks like a player that a team like Cbj has taken in year's past with Castron. Skilled, quick, good shot.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Do you actually send your draft guide to the Devils scouting director via certified mail?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I did another quick mock before work today, some changes.

1 BUF LD R. Sandin
2 CAR RW A. Svechnikov
3 MTL RW F. Zadina
4 OTT LW B. Tkachuk
5 ARI RW O. Wahlstrom
6 DET LD Q. Hughes
7 VAN RD E. Bouchard
8 CHI RD A. Boqvist
9 NYR C/W J. Kotkaniemi
10 EDM RD N. Dobson
11 NYI C J. Veleno
12 NYI RD B. Wilde
13 DAL LW J. Farabee
14 PHI RW V. Kravtsov
15 FLA LD T. Smith
16 COL C B. Hayton
17 DEVILS LD K. Miller
18 CLB C/RW R. McLeod
19 PHI RD R. Merkley
20 LAK C/RW A. Thomas
21 SJ RW D. Bokk
22 OTT LD J. McIsaac
23 ANH RD N. Lundqvist
24 MIN C R. Kupari
25 TOR LD A. Alexeyev
26 NYR RW S. Noel
27 CHI C T. Dellandrea
28 WSH C/LW I. Lundestrom
29 DET C J. Olofsson
30 NYR LD R. Sandin
31 STL LW G. Denisenko

32 BUF RW M. Kaut
33 DET RD J. Woo
34 FLA C J. Wise
35 MTL C B. Groulx
36 DET RW J. Berggren
37 VAN LD J. Tyonchick
38 MTL LD S. Demin
39 NYR C/W F. Hallander
40 EDM LD K. Bahl

Figgie

Apr 24, 2018
Finland
I think we should draft definitely a D. Best realistic scenario is to get Ty Smith but I am very sure that he is gone before our pick. Second option is maybe Bode Wilde and third is K'Andre Miller. I am very sure that at least one of those tree are left when it is our time to select.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I did another quick mock before work today, some changes.

1 BUF LD R. Sandin
2 CAR RW A. Svechnikov
3 MTL RW F. Zadina
4 OTT LW B. Tkachuk
5 ARI RW O. Wahlstrom
6 DET LD Q. Hughes
7 VAN RD E. Bouchard
8 CHI RD A. Boqvist
9 NYR C/W J. Kotkaniemi
10 EDM RD N. Dobson
11 NYI C J. Veleno
12 NYI RD B. Wilde
13 DAL LW J. Farabee
14 PHI RW V. Kravtsov
15 FLA LD T. Smith
16 COL C B. Hayton
17 DEVILS LD K. Miller
18 CLB C/RW R. McLeod
19 PHI RD R. Merkley
20 LAK C/RW A. Thomas
21 SJ RW D. Bokk
22 OTT LD J. McIsaac
23 ANH RD N. Lundqvist
24 MIN C R. Kupari
25 TOR LD A. Alexeyev
26 NYR RW S. Noel
27 CHI C T. Dellandrea
28 WSH C/LW I. Lundestrom
29 DET C J. Olofsson
30 NYR LD R. Sandin
31 STL LW G. Denisenko

32 BUF RW M. Kaut
33 DET RD J. Woo
34 FLA C J. Wise
35 MTL C B. Groulx
36 DET RW J. Berggren
37 VAN LD J. Tyonchick
38 MTL LD S. Demin
39 NYR C/W F. Hallander
40 EDM LD K. Bahl

bold prediction at #1 overall...

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I think we should draft definitely a D. Best realistic scenario is to get Ty Smith but I am very sure that he is gone before our pick. Second option is maybe Bode Wilde and third is K'Andre Miller. I am very sure that at least one of those tree are left when it is our time to select.

Agreed, one of them should be available. But the chances of Smith dropping are quite remote. I've said before that if he falls past the Islanders (#11 & #12), I'd love to see Shero trade up a few slots to grab him. Smith is just outstanding in every facet of the game.

I love the tremendous upside which Wilde & Miller offer, but again, there is always the chance that Shero and Castron have fallen in love with a high upside F like Kravtsov or Kupari -- or that someone like Veleno or Farabee unexpectedly drops to #17. It's going to be fun to watch, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad