Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I’m really starting to like Dominik Bokk. Miller is too risky IMO

By that argument, you should be recommending that the Devils pick Akil Thomas. He's less risky than Bokk at RW, and he also plays C. I would not be shocked if Thomas was on the Devils radar -- he has the combination of skills that Shero/Castron seem to love: speed/high hockey IQ/extreme compete level and he certainly has upside as a top-line RW or second line C behind Nico.

I'm not saying Thomas is a better pick than Bokk (or Kravtsov, for that matter), just that if your priority is a low-risk top-line F candidate, Akil Thomas is the guy who fits your own description.

Reactions: My3Sons

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I agree with you to some degree, but I also am sympathetic to the people on this thread who feel opposite. The three players with the biggest "boom" potential likely available at #17 are Merkley, Kravtsov and Kupari. But I am not exactly stumping for Merkley and Kupari, because in my mind they have several "bust" red flags (Kravtsov not so much). I mean, Merkley does things that are downright incredible. His "upside" (at least offensively) is Erik Karlsson-like. His skating/passing/vision/puckhandling traits are simply off the charts. But his red flags are myriad -- I am uncomfortable putting down teenagers but if you google scouting reports on him, there are quite a lot of negative things being said by a wide variety of voices. And that's not even mentioning his uneven play in his own zone. As for Kupari, his hands are actually amazing -- he can be magic to watch with the puck. But just as teeth-gritting to watch without the puck. Can coaching and the natural process of growing up change these factors? There is uncertainty.

Ultimately, I'm going to get behind whomever Shero/Castron select, they have done very well so far at the draft table. Did I vocally dislike the Boqvist selection last year? Sure, but I realize he was a high-upside swing for the fences and I certainly hold faith that he can reach his significant potential in the Devils system.
I don't know enough about the individual players in this draft to say any of this regarding a specific player. It's been a few years since I paid more than a little attention to prospects before they are drafted. I just hate the idea of passing on someone who you think would be a better player if they both hit their potential for any reason. You're going to miss more than you hit anyway and it's impossible to know what position you will really need a year from now. Swing for the fences.

Reactions: nugg

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
bold prediction at #1 overall...

Yeah, I'm really going out on a limb here, ha.

I think it's important not to overthink mock drafts. I've seen a few where Carolina picks Zadina over Svechnikov at #2. I mean, that would be job-suicide for Don Waddell, in my mind. The talent differential between Dahlin & Svechnikov is a fraction of the talent differential between Svechnikov & Zadina. Zadina is a terrific prospect, without a doubt, but Svechnikov has a chance to be mentioned in the same breath as guys like Ovechkin and Benn and Laine and he's NHL ready right now.

I tend to go conservative when mocking drafts. True, guys like Merkley, Kupari and Kravtsov can go as early as the top 10 and as late as the 2nd round. But I've stuck them all somewhere in the middle. Opinions vary from team to team, and from draft pundit to draft pundit. Personally, I would start considering a player like Ty Dellandrea or Alex Alexeyev as early as the 12-14 range, but some people have them as late second rounders. So, I try not to overexert my own biases.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

I think it's important not to overthink mock drafts. I've seen a few where Carolina picks Zadina over Svechnikov at #2. I mean, that would be job-suicide for Don Waddell, in my mind. The talent differential between Dahlin & Svechnikov is a fraction of the talent differential between Svechnikov & Zadina. Zadina is a terrific prospect, without a doubt, but Svechnikov has a chance to be mentioned in the same breath as guys like Ovechkin and Benn and Laine and he's NHL ready right now.

I tend to go conservative when mocking drafts. True, guys like Merkley, Kupari and Kravtsov can go as early as the top 10 and as late as the 2nd round. But I've stuck them all somewhere in the middle. Opinions vary from team to team, and from draft pundit to draft pundit. Personally, I would start considering a player like Ty Dellandrea or Alex Alexeyev as early as the 12-14 range, but some people have them as late second rounders. So, I try not to overexert my own biases.
See... what you need to do is pretend you're each individual team, and do a draft ranking for each based on team need and drafting history :)

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
See... what you need to do is pretend you're each individual team, and do a draft ranking for each based on team need and drafting history :)

That's precisely what I try my hardest to accomplish.

Take Philadelphia. If Paul Holmgren was still their GM, I never would have mocked them either Kravtsov or Merkley. Holmgren never drafted Russians, and liked to build a team of rugged, old-school, north-south NHL-ers. He mostly drafted early out of North America. But current GM Ron Hextall has made a living out of swinging for the fences and drafting high-upside players.

Ottawa is the opposite. Would it be wise for them to draft a high-upside, new-style/puck-moving D like Hughes or Boqvist at #4? Certainly. But GM Pierre Dorion has proven to prefer a bigger, tougher style of play. Therefore, my choice for them at #4 came down to Tkachuk or Bouchard.

Sometimes need/familiarity come into play. I have Arizona taking Wahlstrom at #5, although they could use some more help at D. But their future franchise player is, without a doubt, Clayton Keller. Though they have some very talented wings in their system, none can match the speed/skill-level of Keller. Wahlstrom would give them an unbelievable top-two punch on the top line. With Detroit at #6, Hughes/Boqvist/Dobson would all make great sense. But Hughes is not only the best skater/highest-upside of the three, but he also is a Michigan product. So I went with Hughes.

My Rangers pick at #9 was basically a choice between centers Kotkaniemi and Veleno. Kotkaniemi has not only gotten a lot of hype after an outstanding IIHF tourney, but the new Rangers scouting regime has clearly shown a preference for European skaters. Is this always the best call? Well, I think they are going to regret taking Lias Andersson over Casey Mittelstadt for many years to come, so I would have to say no. I also like Veleno over Kotkaniemi, but have him falling two more spots before being taken by another team which will soon need C depth in the Islanders.

Again, there are always big surprises on draft day. Two years ago, the Blue Jackets wrecked every mock draft in North America when they took Dubois over Puljujarvi with the #3 overall pick. Personally, if I were Columbus I would have taken Keller there, but I mocked them Puljujarvi like everyone else because it seemed like the obvious pick.

Reactions: nugg and Darkauron

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

look again at who you have at #1...;)

Reactions: Ripshot 43

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I like Kaut more than Bokk

Kaut has really been a mover up draft boards lately with his tournament play and excellent two-way ability. He's a terrific passer and really plays a polished game. Out of players drafted out of the top 15, he might have the best chance of anyone to jump straight into the NHL. There are a ton of reasons to like him.

I think the only reason I have not been mentioning him more as a possible Devils selection is that he is not very fast, a quality which seems to be coveted by Shero & Castron. The Devils brass want to ice a very fast team, and I would say that Kaut is a step behind Bokk who is a step behind Kravtsov and Thomas. But there are certainly reasons to be very high on all 4 RW candidates, if that is the direction the Devils decide to go in on draft day.

Reactions: HenriquesJawLine

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Pronman's rankings dropped at The Athletic. Has Bokk at 8!

I've mentioned Pronman's huge ranking for Bokk on this thread before. I respect Pronman greatly, and his praise for the German sniper should not go unnoticed. I have also mentioned that I believe Bokk would have to be one of the Fs on the Devils radar -- he certainly has the potential skill to play RW (even though he has mostly played LW so far, he shoots righty) on a top line with Taylor & Nico.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
By that argument, you should be recommending that the Devils pick Akil Thomas. He's less risky than Bokk at RW, and he also plays C. I would not be shocked if Thomas was on the Devils radar -- he has the combination of skills that Shero/Castron seem to love: speed/high hockey IQ/extreme compete level and he certainly has upside as a top-line RW or second line C behind Nico.

I'm not saying Thomas is a better pick than Bokk (or Kravtsov, for that matter), just that if your priority is a low-risk top-line F candidate, Akil Thomas is the guy who fits your own description.

Skating and compete can take a player a long way. Look at a guy like Coleman. He’s all hustle and heart and fills a nice Swiss Army knife role on the bottom six. With the added confidence from having a good season it’s not unreasonable to see about 30-35 points from him next season. Take that player and add a bit of size some additional skating and more skill and you have at least a second line wing. Maybe even a 2C. That is a pretty attractive prospect in the middle of the first round. As always thanks for sharing your insights.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Skating and compete can take a player a long way. Look at a guy like Coleman. He’s all hustle and heart and fills a nice Swiss Army knife role on the bottom six. With the added confidence from having a good season it’s not unreasonable to see about 30-35 points from him next season. Take that player and add a bit of size some additional skating and more skill and you have at least a second line wing. Maybe even a 2C. That is a pretty attractive prospect in the middle of the first round. As always thanks for sharing your insights.
You could point even higher to Hall as an example of skating and compete. Sure he's very skilled, but imo his skating and compete are his best assets.

And we've seen it from a bunch of Devils. Nico has those qualities, early season Bratt fits the bill, Wood's success is all about speed and compete.

It's why I'm willing to look past McLeod's less then stellar #'s. Big time skater with a good motor. I think that plays very well in todays game and especially in NJ.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Many good defensemen have been passed up in recent years. I originally picked Wilde. However, I hope if Wilde is gone we don’t pass up on McIssac. He’s big and mobile and believe he will only get better offensively.

You are absolutely correct that there is a very strong possibility that McIsaac is picked by the Devils. The team scouting certainly has seen a lot of him, as he was a teammate of Nico Hischier (and NJ prospect Jocktan Chainey) with the Halifax Mooseheads. Though not a blazer, McIsaac is mobile and very polished. He plays well two-ways. Though he does not have the offensive upside of some of the other D prospects certain to be taken in the 1st round this year, he can certainly become a shut-down D with physicality and 30+ point upside. Though he will never score like a Hughes or Boqvist or Smith, he is very adept at outlet passing and extremely capable in the offensive zone.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
You are absolutely correct that there is a very strong possibility that McIsaac is picked by the Devils. The team scouting certainly has seen a lot of him, as he was a teammate of Nico Hischier (and NJ prospect Jocktan Chainey) with the Halifax Mooseheads. Though not a blazer, McIsaac is mobile and very polished. He plays well two-ways. Though he does not have the offensive upside of some of the other D prospects certain to be taken in the 1st round this year, he can certainly become a shut-down D with physicality and 30+ point upside. Though he will never score like a Hughes or Boqvist or Smith, he is very adept at outlet passing and extremely capable in the offensive zone.

Does this make Steven Santini a comparable?

Reactions: StevenToddIves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad