NFL Draft: 2018 Mock Discussion Page

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
Jackson in the 1st and Jefferson in the 2nd would've been my dream start to the draft.
Damn you Philly!

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Damn i was hoping Daniels would fall to Detroit, I think that would have made the choice very easy in that case, now I have to think about the pick!

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
In honor of the last pick...:popcorn:

giphy.gif

Reactions: Kel Varnson

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
When the Chargers were up in round 1, I was thinking they HAVE to take Vea, they need massive DT help. Didn't even think of Jackson, but I get that pick totally. Then they come back and get a potentially really nice DT in the 2nd, nice.

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
When the Chargers were up in round 1, I was thinking they HAVE to take Vea, they need massive DT help. Didn't even think of Jackson, but I get that pick totally. Then they come back and get a potentially really nice DT in the 2nd, nice.

Came down to Jackson, Vea and Reshaan Evans for 17. Three of my favourite players in the draft. Jackson won't have the immediate impact the other 2 would but can't pass up a potential franchise QB.

I like Settle's upside out of the available DTs and since my 1st rounder would be sitting year 1 gambling on an impact player in round 2.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
What does he do that stands out? Doesn't effect the passing game, isn't all that disruptive and is a two down player. He's not a bad player. Nose tackles just don't hold much value these days.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Jerome Baker is interesting. He is a super athlete but looks small and plays small. I wonder if some team can bring the dog out of him.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Wouldn't mind trading back up using my 3rd and 4th round picks to get back up into the late 2nd/early 3rd.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Jerome Baker is interesting. He is a super athlete but looks small and plays small. I wonder if some team can bring the dog out of him.
Yeah, he's really a perfect fit for what McDermott wants to do on defense. He seems to preference big, block hogging DTs (see: Star signing) that open up space for small, fast LBs to make plays. One of their best picks last year was Matt Milano, an undersized LB (6', 220 lbs) they took in the 5th that ended up being their best starting LB. If they think Baker can handle the inside, Buffalo is the perfect place for him.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Yeah, he's really a perfect fit for what McDermott wants to do on defense. He seems to preference big, block hogging DTs (see: Star signing) that open up space for small, fast LBs to make plays. One of their best picks last year was Matt Milano, an undersized LB (6', 220 lbs) they took in the 5th that ended up being their best starting LB. If they think Baker can handle the inside, Buffalo is the perfect place for him.

Except he's kind of soft.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Definitely reached a bit with Mata'afa, but he's a player I'm so high on I didn't want to play games.

Highly productive in college, he's a player that will fall because it is unclear what position he will play. He played DT in college, but at 250 lbs he's undersized for the position in the NFL. Some project him as a DE/edge rush OLB, but there's questions about his speed and length for those positions.

Me? I love highly productive players and I think a good coach will find a way to use him, perhaps in a variety of different roles. The NFL is moving more towards hybrid players and I think he has the skill, history of production, and drive to be a good player in the NFL. Sean McDermott believes in an 8 man rotation on the defensive line, and in Mata'afa I see a player that can give him flexibility in that rotation to deploy in a number of different ways. At some point you just have to acknowledge that 10 sacks, 22 tackles for loss, and 45 tackles is damn impressive for a DT, even if he is small.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
And the Texans are finally on the board in the draft.

The Texans are required to find a starting offensive tackle in the draft, which is unfortunate because they have to wait until round 3 to even make a selection. They've only picked up a bunch of spare parts in free agency, but it would behoove them to spend some resources to make sure Deshaun Watson isn't dead by the end of this season, thus completely submarining the entire franchise. Offensive line needs a lot of work.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Happy with Tampas draft so far.

Got the best player in the draft to fill their biggest hole by adding saquon barkley. Adding him to compliment the passing game of evans, jackson, howard, brate and Godwin.

With 2nd and 3rd round picks add two quality defensive backs to shore up the weakness on defense the secondary . Mike hughes a great shut down corner and deshon elliot a hardhitting ball hawk safety to compliment justin evans

Very good draft so far

Feb 24, 2017
Ward was #2 on my draft board for Bears behind Edmunds

I could still see Bears picking him in real life if some of the guys they prefer go early. They can start him out as a Nickel CB as rookie and then transition him to outside when he is ready or is needed (Right now Fuller and Amukamara are Bears starting outside CB's)
The bears are picking cutler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad