NFL Draft: 2018 Mock Discussion Page

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ted Ginn was the Saints 2nd leading receiver among actual wideouts. Even though Kamara is used at one sometimes, and the Saints did not make a big move in free agency (bought low on former Eagles Josh Huff and Paul Turner). Also, Brandon Coleman wasn't brought back, and Willie Snead completely fell off the map. Saints also talked to Jimmy Graham, brought back Ben Watson again and have been rumored to release Coby Fleener. It seems clear the Saints are going to have to find 1 or 2 receivers in the draft.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Steelers draft is done. I felt getting replacement for Shazier was pretty important, but there wasn't really a great fit when their pick fell in the 1st round so I thought adding Reid from Stanford also filled a bit of a need. When I think of Steelers defenses, I think of safeties and need to find another one. When the 2nd round came along, that when the perfect fit of an ILB in Darius Leonard out of SC State. Fantastic athlete, the tw0-time MEAC defensive player of the year would be a nice addition. Finally, with the mercurial trio the Steelers have at WR, it might not hurt to add some depth there, and Keke Coutee, who was 2nd in receiving yards out of Texas Tech will provide a small, quick 4th option for Big Ben.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Vikings draft is done:

1. Joshua Jackson, CB, Iowa - Was planning to go OL here but Jackson was BPA and Zimmer loves his CBs.

2. Geron Christian, OT, Louisville - OL is probably the #1 position of need. Joe Berger retired and Jeremiah Sirles left in FA. Hopefully a future RT with Mike Remmers moving over to RG to replace Berger. Rashod Hill was clearly over matched when forced to start.

3. RJ McIntosh, DT, Miami - Adds some depth to the DT position. They signed Sheldon Richardson but only for one year and watched Tom Johnson and Shamar Stephen leave in FA.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Steelers draft is done. I felt getting replacement for Shazier was pretty important, but there wasn't really a great fit when their pick fell in the 1st round so I thought adding Reid from Stanford also filled a bit of a need. When I think of Steelers defenses, I think of safeties and need to find another one. When the 2nd round came along, that when the perfect fit of an ILB in Darius Leonard out of SC State. Fantastic athlete, the tw0-time MEAC defensive player of the year would be a nice addition. Finally, with the mercurial trio the Steelers have at WR, it might not hurt to add some depth there, and Keke Coutee, who was 2nd in receiving yards out of Texas Tech will provide a small, quick 4th option for Big Ben.

Steelers are pretty wide-open, they are hard to mock for. In the first 3 rounds they could go anywhere other than OL. I saw that you considered an OL in the first round for them, which was shocking as it's the last position they would pick.

I like Reid. Ideally a trade back into the 2nd round to grab one of Reid, Bates, or Harrison would work for me at the actual draft. If the Steelers were in this situation I think Guice and Sutton would be legitimate options too.

I am okay with Leonard in Rd 2, though Lorenzo Carter would have been my pick. ILB is the top need and it's not really that close to me - tough to miss on out Vander Esch & then Baker in each of the top two rounds. I can't pass up on Carter though, I like the value. But I would be fine with Leonard, too.

Coutee would be down the options for me in Rd 3, and I also don't think he's someone the Steelers are really targeting. I think they will be looking for someone in the Martavis Bryant prototype as opposed to a slot guy.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Packers draft is also done. I'd be curious if there are any cheese heads out there and how they think I did. Being a Lions fan first & foremost with a different perspective on what I'd do if I were them, having seen them enough times over the years. I'd actually be thrilled if this were the Lions draft for the first 3 rounds.

Green Bay picks:
1. Harold Landry EDGE Boston College
2. Jaire Alexander CB Louisville
3. Josey Jewell LB Iowa

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Done with the Broncos draft:

1/5 Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
2/8 Martinas Rankin, OT-C, Mississippi State
3/7 Harrison Phillips, DT, Stanford
3/35 Oren Burks, ILB, Vanderbilt
4/6 Nyheim Hines, RB, NC State
4/13 Colby Gossett, G, Appalachian State

I made attempts to trade up for Will Hernandez, G, UTEP in the late 1st, Rashad Penny, RB, San Diego State in the early 3rd and Josey Jewell, ILB in the late 3rd

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Bears are finished with selections and feel we came away with a solid group for team going forward

1st round (Pick #9) = LB Tremaine Edmunds - Virginia Tech
2nd round (Pick #39) = C/G Billy Price - Ohio State
4th round (Pick #105) = WR Marcel Ateman - Oklahoma State
4th round (Pick #115) = LB Fred Warner - BYU

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I will roll on the floor laughing if Cleavland picks Darnold over Barkley. It will be like when AP slipped down the draft.
And how many super bowl wins has AP brought to his respective teams? When's the last time a RB drafted top 5 won the super bowl? For the team that drafted him?

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
And how many super bowl wins has AP brought to his respective teams? When's the last time a RB drafted top 5 won the super bowl? For the team that drafted him?

I'm comparing the QB quality of this draft to that of the 07 draft. 1st overall jamacrus Russell sure didn't win one...heck I believ not one qb from 07 became a starter. Your never guaranteed a superbowl with any top pick.

I guess I'm just not sold on Allen or darnold being that guy based on what I have seen from college.

But hey I could totally be wrong. Just have a feeling they will regret drafting one of them over Barkley.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I'm comparing the QB quality of this draft to that of the 07 draft. 1st overall jamacrus Russell sure didn't win one...heck I believ not one qb from 07 became a starter. Your never guaranteed a superbowl with any top pick.

I guess I'm just not sold on Allen or darnold being that guy based on what I have seen from college.

But hey I could totally be wrong. Just have a feeling they will regret drafting one of them over Barkley.
Don't disagree with you there. I think Rosen is the best prospect since Luck, though.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Reggie Bush 2006 Reggie again and before him: Jamaal Lewis 2000. Before that? Tony Dorsett 1977.
And the great irony in Bush being that he had just 10 touches in that superbowl, including 25 yards on 5 carries, 38 yards on 4 receptions, and a 4 yard punt return.

Of course the counter is that the QB list under the same criteria would include just Manning, Manning, Elway, and (arguably) Wentz over the past 20 years. Include super bowl losers and you add Ryan, Newton, and McNabb.

Last edited:

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Jets:

Bradley Chubb: The best pass rusher in the draft... he and Leonard Williams could be a great combination.

Mason Rudolph: I think early second round is the right spot for him. I know he has some flaws to his game, but he was the best QB left at that point.

Braden Smith: I honestly know nothing about him other than he was one of the highest ranked guards available.

Hayden Hurst: Yes, he's really old for a draft eligible player, but many people have him as the highest ranked tight end. In the third round, I felt like it was worth it.

Jaleel Scott: I've liked him for awhile. The Jets badly need a receiver because of Robby Anderson's off the field stuff.

Ravens:

D.J. Moore: I probably should have taken Sutton, but I really like Moore.

Mike Gesicki: The Ravens have to hit on one of their tight end picks eventually.

Austin Corbett: Versatility, versatility, versatility.

Luke Falk: Flacco sucks.

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
Chargers draft done

17 - Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville
48 - Tim Settle, DT, Virginia Tech
84 - Armani Watts, S, Texas A&M
119 - Tegray Scales, LB, Indiana

Taking a QB in round 1 was always going to result in a more pressing need going unfilled and in this case the O-line, more specifically RT spot gets pushed back. Jackson has the potential to be a star in this league for many years to come but will sit for at least a year behind Rivers.
Rounds 2-4 fill some holes on the defense, Settle should be an upgrade on the oft-injured Brandon Mebane and improve last years horrendous run-defense. Watts and Scales will have opportunities to earn starting jobs as the Chargers are thin at both FS and LB.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
We're less than a week out here. Need to make sure we get this done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad