GDT: 2018 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships

Which Avs Prospect Do Think Will Make Their Countries?

• Total voters

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
My big concern with Timmins was always whether or not last season was just an anomaly and whether or not he would continue to explode or stagnate. Nice to see that he's not missing a beat.

How crazy would it be if the defenseman we picked at 32 makes the team by beating out the one we picked at 4?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
My biggest beef with Timmins is that I was still upset that Tolvanen was picked one spot before him the night before. I was sour and no matter who we picked I wasn't going to be happy. It's not his fault and has nothing to do with hockey. But it's legitimately how the childishness in me works.

Same thing with Jost(Sergachev) and Greer (Aho). Those guys were already drafted, it was impossible to happen but I was salty anyway.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
My biggest beef with Timmins is that I was still upset that Tolvanen was picked one spot before him the night before. I was sour and no matter who we picked I wasn't going to be happy. It's not his fault and has nothing to do with hockey. But it's legitimately how the childishness in me works.

Same thing with Jost(Sergachev) and Greer (Aho). Those guys were already drafted, it was impossible to happen but I was salty anyway.

You can also add Miro to that list. Never know who we would have drafted in those spots but it’s tough to see who we’ve missed out on by just one pick.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
My big concern with Timmins was always whether or not last season was just an anomaly and whether or not he would continue to explode or stagnate. Nice to see that he's not missing a beat.

How crazy would it be if the defenseman we picked at 32 makes the team by beating out the one we picked at 4?

I guess it depends on their development. Makar played in an inferior league and plays for the worst college in their division. He literally carries his team against tougher players. Timmins is likely ahead since he’s nearly a year older and plays in a better league with powerhouse players.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

That's actually Kostin

Timmins has to minimize the turnovers, if he does that then he'll look good.

Reactions: Balthazar

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I guess it depends on their development. Makar played in an inferior league and plays for the worst college in their division. He literally carries his team against tougher players. Timmins is likely ahead since he’s nearly a year older and plays in a better league with powerhouse players.

Actually their age difference is just one month.

Still little salty that we missed on Miro.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Actually their age difference is just one month.

Still little salty that we missed on Miro.

AVs seem to be punished by the Hockey Gods since winning the draft lottery with Mackinnon.

Hischier/Miro -> Makar (lost lottery)
Sergachev-> Jost (win against Habs)
Werenski -> Rants (1 point difference)
Bag of Pucks -> Bleckley

However, it’s what you do with the pick rather than position. Oilers with 4 of 9 - 1st OA are still struggling. AZ and Buffalo on never ends rebuilds. ROR and Duchene has replenished their farm system which was the worst in the league. Hiring new coaches and scouts reduces misfires.

AVs are on the upswing being such a young team, flushed with prospects, cap space and picks. So it sucks missing on a potential Defence-with the above players, but overall the future seems very bright.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
AVs seem to be punished by the Hockey Gods since winning the draft lottery with Mackinnon.

Bag of Pucks -> Bleckley

However, it’s what you do with the pick rather than position. Oilers with 4 of 9 - 1st OA are still struggling. AZ and Buffalo on never ends rebuilds. ROR and Duchene has replenished their farm system which was the worst in the league. Hiring new coaches and scouts reduces misfires.

AVs are on the upswing being such a young team, flushed with prospects, cap space and picks. So it sucks missing on a potential Defence-with the above players, but overall the future seems very bright.

I agree with you, Avs future is looking good. Prospect pool looks good, there is so much cap space that even us fans don't really know what to do with it (even to reach the floor we have to do something) and we have 5-6 draft picks in the first three rounds next summer, and currently 1-2 1st round picks in the summer of 2019. It's just that there were better options available sooo close. If even one of those teams didn't leapfrog us we'd have Heiskanen who I think will be an absolute stud.

Also I wish we picked Chychrun instead of Jost. But it is what it is. We just have to hope Jost will become a top six W/C and the pick is still successful even if he wasn't to most ideal pick for us position wise.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I agree with you, Avs future is looking good. Prospect pool looks good, there is so much cap space that even us fans don't really know what to do with it (even to reach the floor we have to do something) and we have 5-6 draft picks in the first three rounds next summer, and currently 1-2 1st round picks in the summer of 2019. It's just that there were better options available sooo close. If even one of those teams didn't leapfrog us we'd have Heiskanen who I think will be an absolute stud.

Also I wish we picked Chychrun instead of Jost. But it is what it is. We just have to hope Jost will become a top six W/C and the pick is still successful even if he wasn't to most ideal pick for us position wise.

Chychrun is out indefinitely due to a serious knee injury. So the future is still unknown.

I'm fine with Jost with the draft position unless they traded down for McAvoy. In hindsight, a single win against the Habs cost the AVs the opportunity to draft Sergachev.

So there is no need to look at the past, if Sakic can rid the team of Barrie for more prospects and picks, they can be even further along in completing their rebuild.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Chychrun is out indefinitely due to a serious knee injury. So the future is still unknown.

I'm fine with Jost with the draft position unless they traded down for McAvoy. In hindsight, a single win against the Habs cost the AVs the opportunity to draft Sergachev.

There is no need to look at the past, if Sakic can rid the team of Barrie they can be even further along in completing their rebuild.

Chychrun has been back for 4 games. Has a goal and an assist and played over 22 minutes in 3 games. I still believe Chychrun or McAvoy would have been better picks than Jost, but that is the past now.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Since we're on the topic, I remember being in a bar in Long Beach so pissed off listening to Iginla get the game winning goal in the last game of season which dropped us behind Columbus and San Jose. Don't get me wrong I love Rants, but Werenski man. My wife couldn't understand why I was so mad the Avs lost. It took me a bit to cool off before I could explain it.

Sergachev hurts too, he was my #1 target going into that draft. When Montreal picked him I was so deflated.

I'm starting to think the Avs are cursed with that top pairing LHD position.

EDIT: I didn't like how that came off so negative. At the same time we've come up on the right side many times in the draft. We won Mack, Rants is looking like a steal (lol wtf San Jose?), I still think Landy is the best of that top 5. I've got a feeling Timmins is going to be the defensive equivalent of the ROR pick.

Last edited:

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Happy to see Timmins playing well. I like guys that have flaws in their games and can prove everyone wrong. Similar to ROR. I've watched a couple of UMass games as well. I'm excited about both Makar and Timmins getting into the NHL, mix in Girard, EJ, Barrie, Zads, Nemeth, and whoever else shows up and its looking bright.

I hope the Avs keep going D heavy in drafts. Stockpile good D and then give yourself wiggle room to acquire forwards in trades if needed.

Is Jost going to the WC or is he on a list that may go?

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland

Bag of Pucks -> Bleckley

With Rantanen it was a blessing, San Jose and New Jersey fluked before us and we were able to pick him. We also needed wingers and Rantanen is as good as Werenski so

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
With Rantanen it was a blessing, San Jose and New Jersey fluked before us and we were able to pick him. We also needed wingers and Rantanen is as good as Werenski so

Lol, what? There isn't even a remote chance Mikko gets picked before Werenski in a redraft.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Lol, what? There isn't even a remote chance Mikko gets picked before Werenski in a redraft.

I agree..Werenski would have easily been the pick over Rants. He has IQ, size, speed and LHD.

There was a rumour Sakic considered moving up, but thought the picks 6-9 either Provorov or Werenski would have been chosen, not both. CBJ needed (still does) a big body Forward and Rants might have been a player they were considering.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Its crazy how good that 2015 class is

For how much rantanen has developed you'd imagine he'd move up a few spots in a redraft, and honestly im not sure if thats the case

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Its crazy how good that 2015 class is

For how much rantanen has developed you'd imagine he'd move up a few spots in a redraft, and honestly im not sure if thats the case
Even looking downstream in that draft you have Chabot, Boeser, Samsonov, Barzal, Connor, White, Eriksson Ek, Aho, and Svechnikov all looking really good. Not that I would necessarily pick any of them over Rants, but 2015 is an amazing draft and if 2018 is supposed to be even better we could be sitting pretty in a few years if Ottawa ends up pulling their heads out of their asses and gives us that pick.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Even looking downstream in that draft you have Chabot, Boeser, Samsonov, Barzal, Connor, White, Eriksson Ek, Aho, and Svechnikov all looking really good. Not that I would necessarily pick any of them over Rants, but 2015 is an amazing draft and if 2018 is supposed to be even better we could be sitting pretty in a few years if Ottawa ends up pulling their heads out of their asses and gives us that pick.
2018 is not supposed to be better than 2015

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad