GDT: 2018 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships

Which Avs Prospect Do Think Will Make Their Countries?

• Total voters

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The dream for these players is the NHL. If they had to choose, they'd rather be there than in the WJC. Avs would have to tell Jost to go. He's not going to ask for it.

Reactions: McMetal

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Oh absolutely. But I dont think it sends a great message to tell one eligible guy on the team he's free to go while telling the other he cant.

If you let Jost go you at least have to give the option to Girard IMO. Even if you explain to him that he's an NHL quality player now and that it might be better suited for him to stick in the NHL instead of playing in that tournament.
I would think that is kinda mixed signals to give and confuse young and tender NHL player. I bet they make it easy for everybody and just tell Girard we didn't send you down to juniors cause we needed you here, we won't send you to WJC cause we need you here still. That creates more trust for him than confusion

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Of course Jost would rather stay in the NHL. Go to WJC and not get paid, play in the NHL and make 30 thousand in that same time span.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

Not great news for Timmins IMO. I am not sure he makes the final cut. I also wonder what it means for Makar's role. Makar played important minutes for Canada at the Summer Showcase, playing primarily with Bean.

I expect Canada to lean more toward Stanley and Foote due to size for defenseman 5-6, because that is what Canada does.

It seems like an extraordinarily weak top-4 core to rely on in this tournament. Canada may be in a lot of trouble for the WJCs.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah that sucks.

Hopefully both Makar and Timmins have tremendous camps. We want both players there but we also need to live with the realistic possibility that neither will be.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
McKenzie was just on TSN 1050 and said that he does not get the sense Jost will be loaned to Canada but that Sakic will wait until the 19th to make a decision.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I find it weird that Fabbro is a lock for the top4 over Makar. Makar's numbers this year aren't much different than Fabbro's and Makar's team is significantly worse. I find it highly unlikely that the defensive difference is large.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
- Norway, who are the favourites for promotion beat Lithuania 4-1. Sadly @henchman24 MEP isn't playing in the tourney, sounds like he is focused on his draft year and wants to spend the whole year in the USHL. Can't blame him.

Don't blame the kid at all, but it would have been interesting to see him play there and elevate the team so during his draft year he be playing 1A.

I find it weird that Fabbro is a lock for the top4 over Makar. Makar's numbers this year aren't much different than Fabbro's and Makar's team is significantly worse. I find it highly unlikely that the defensive difference is large.

Fabbro has a much more advanced 2 way game, and has international experience at that level.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Fabbro is better defensively than Makar by a fair margin. He's also producing slightly more offense than Makar, and produced at around the same rate while being a year younger in the AJ.

Makar and Fabbro are the same age.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Don't blame the kid at all, but it would have been interesting to see him play there and elevate the team so during his draft year he be playing 1A.

Fabbro has a much more advanced 2 way game, and has international experience at that level.

I guess I'm a little surprised that there could be such a large difference between Makar and Fabro considering Makar's draft position. Have you guys watched much of either of there games?? I unfortunately only have numbers to go off of.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Makar's numbers aren't exactly world beating right now for a top 5 pick in the league he is in. His shooting % I think is the most worrying thing about this year. I tried to say last year that his shot only looked elite because he was facing AJHL goalies, but NCAA goalies are generally not considered to be great either, and if he can't even beat them, it doesn't look good for his offensive potential in the NHL, which is the whole thing he was sold on. I can see why Canada isn't awed by what they're seeing this year, and would be looking at other players for big roles.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He's the only freshman D that averages 3 SOG per game. So if someone's shooting % is too high then they are just getting lucky but if their shooting % is too low because they are putting too many shots on goal then they lose either way.

Hughes has nearly the identical stats to Makar, including one goal and fewer SOG and nobody seems to be worried about him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Are shots on goal really a good measure? TV, you have ripped into Warsofsky in the AHL and he is 3rd amongst D in the AHL in SOG (with 2 less games), and leads the Rampage overall. Makar will start potting more goals, and he does look better than the numbers indicate... but things are not all sunshine and roses. He played at a low level of hockey and has a good amount of development to go.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
SOG is the measure that guys such as Pronman use to evaluate progress of teenagers in the NCAA as there's few readily available stats. There's no comparison to a 27 year old AHLers who are paid to put up points (which he only has 10 of), what makes him terrible is his defense. We could also talk about Makar +7 on a team with a -7 goal differential and his defensive play leading to this amazing turnaround they've had too.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
SOG is the measure that guys such as Pronman use to evaluate progress of teenagers in the NCAA as there's few readily available stats. There's no comparison to a 27 year old AHLers who are paid to put up points (which he only has 10 of), what makes him terrible is his defense. We could also talk about Makar +7 on a team with a -7 goal differential and his defensive play leading to this amazing turnaround they've had too.

My point is that it is a pretty terrible stat to use. Just watch some Makar games and his talent is very evident, he just has a ways to go all around. They had an amazing recruiting class and transfers, Makar is the largest piece of it.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I'm honestly more than happy with Makar's points this year in NCAA considering imo the large jump between the two leagues. From my understanding he's been solid all around and he's on track to very similar numbers as Shattenkirk his first year.

I hope Makar out plays and steals Fabbro's spot

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I saw a post early this morning Jost was granted permission to join Team Canada, but the article has since been deleted. Girard will stay with the AVs.

Not sure if this was posted by mistake, but had mixed feelings. Jost has improved the last few games and sending him (if true) could sidetrack any momentum he’s been building.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I saw a post early this morning Jost was granted permission to join Team Canada, but the article has since been deleted. Girard will stay with the AVs.

Not sure if this was posted by mistake, but had mixed feelings. Jost has improved the last few games and sending him (if true) could sidetrack any momentum he’s been building.
Post where?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There definitely seems to be some conflicting info regarding Jost playing in the WJC. I'd imagine they were on the fence, and maybe reversed their opinion recently. Given his slight improvement, I'd say that probably means they decided to keep him, if they changed their mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad