World Cup: 2018 FIFA World Cup

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Ozil is what we commonly call a "Schönwetterfussballer". That doesn't really work with the German mentality in general and in football.

Speaking of which, Draxler has said he likes to wear perfume on the pitch. Definitely not your dad's German national team. ;)

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Vincent Kompany arrives in Russia
5C16AC7D-A848-4815-8F4F-071795FF61AB.jpeg

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Will this really disrupt Spain's on-field play? I imagine they simply insert a top assistant and keep the same structure and tactics. Off-field may be another issue though...?

Apparently they'll have Hierro take over and Celades (U-21 coach) to help him (originally it was apparently planned for Celades to take over, but I think he would've been destroyed by the players.

It might not be that bad, but.... In short, yes, a manager means a LOT... Not just the tactical approach, players have to buy into the system, be willing to sit on the bench, he needs to have good instincts for subs and in-game changes.
Not to mention apparently both Ramos and Iniesta asked for Lopetegui to stay and were ignored.

It's tournament play. You need happy, motivated players, an adequate system (rarely ever anything too elaborate, simply not enough time to develop one), timely subs and changes, luck etc.
If anything, a manager with proper instincts can win you a tournament more often than they'll win you a league.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
The best course of action for the new manager would be to change as little as possible. Surely Hierro is smart enough to know this. Either way the team morale may be impossible to revive.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Just made some bets...put money down on England with my heart and put money down on France with my head.

Also put money down for Gabriel Jesus to win the Golden Ball, that would get me $117. So hopefully Brazil goes deep.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Japan to finish bottom of their group seems like a great bet...dunno who'll win that group, but I'll be shocked if any of Poland, Colombia or Senegal finish 4th and I saw pretty nice odds for it somewhere the other day.

Timo is getting some enticing odds to win the golden boot. A lot riskier than the Japan bet, but could be a nice return on something that I think has a good shot of happening unless someone pulls a James-2014...I'm looking at you Neymar & Mbappe, don't be dicks.

And I'm really regretting not having put some money on Morocco to get out of their group before this whole Spain thing, though it's still a tempting bet.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
My bets for the tournament thus far:

Uruguay to win the group at -110
Belgium to win the group at -120
Griezmann golden boot at +900
Werner golden boot at +1400

Juicyyyyyy odds on Timo!

Reactions: Tuggy

Hmmm

Feb 26, 2017
Had my brother back home (UK) put a couple of bets on Germany to win it all and Werner for golden boot. On a side note who do you guys/girls use for betting state side? I'm in CO so can't walk to a sports book in Vegas lol

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Had my brother back home (UK) put a couple of bets on Germany to win it all and Werner for golden boot. On a side note who do you guys/girls use for betting state side? I'm in CO so can't walk to a sports book in Vegas lol

A friend of a friend of a friend
showthread.php

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Just made some bets...put money down on England with my heart and put money down on France with my head.

Also put money down for Gabriel Jesus to win the Golden Ball, that would get me $117. So hopefully Brazil goes deep.
Long shot with Jesus winning the Golden ball, can't imagine a scenario that they won't give to Neymar if Brazil goes deep.
I just wanna a rematch with germany or a final with Argentina. That would be a dream to every brazilian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad