World Cup: 2018 FIFA World Cup

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Alex Iwobi is getting a goal a game so I would not be surprised if they win ;)

I don't think Iceland would match well for an African team.
Croatia has been overrated since that 98 tournament and the worst part is they don't realize it (check back last tournament against Mexico)
Argentina is a mess and Nigeria is due against them.

Reactions: robertmac43

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Croatia has been overrated since that 98 tournament and the worst part is they don't realize it (check back last tournament against Mexico)

I usually agree with that and am a big doubter of Belgium's; another perennially underachieving darkhorse; but if they trust their young defenders...and they don't force Mandzo's corpse onto the pitch ahead of Kramaric...I think this might just be the year Croatia clicks an makes a QF again.

...I got suckered in by those jerseys again, didn't I?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Croatia is going to wind up beating Argentina and messing the whole bracket up because that's what they do. Then they will lose to Peru or Denmark and the Group B winners will cruise to the SF.

Thing is that gives us a France/Argentina R16 that is juicy af. I would definitely enjoy it.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Had my brother back home (UK) put a couple of bets on Germany to win it all and Werner for golden boot. On a side note who do you guys/girls use for betting state side? I'm in CO so can't walk to a sports book in Vegas lol

This is what I need to figure out. In the past I've just had my uncle in Berlin place bets for me and sent him money for it.

This is the first time I'll be betting on the World Cup or Euros from America.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
This is what I need to figure out. In the past I've just had my uncle in Berlin place bets for me and sent him money for it.

This is the first time I'll be betting on the World Cup or Euros from America.

Bovada pays out. I just have to remember to keep a tally for IRS reasons and that can be a pain in the ass.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Japan to finish bottom of their group seems like a great bet...dunno who'll win that group, but I'll be shocked if any of Poland, Colombia or Senegal finish 4th and I saw pretty nice odds for it somewhere the other day.

Timo is getting some enticing odds to win the golden boot. A lot riskier than the Japan bet, but could be a nice return on something that I think has a good shot of happening unless someone pulls a James-2014...I'm looking at you Neymar & Mbappe, don't be dicks.

And I'm really regretting not having put some money on Morocco to get out of their group before this whole Spain thing, though it's still a tempting bet.
Japan will play some attractive football, but their inability to either score or defend will be their downfall again.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
How Americans pick a team at World Cup:

Team USA! Not in it.

Ok, then last name nationality: Team Canada! Not in it.

Crap, uh DNA test?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
How Americans pick a team at World Cup:

Team USA! Not in it.

Ok, then last name nationality: Team Canada! Not in it.

Crap, uh DNA test?

Underdogs usually or club team players. I could cheer for Germany and England but not interested in doing that.

Upon further review, I could claim France but there is historical info showing my family came with William the Conqueror in the Norman Invasion to make England but hell screw it.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Still in shock Sane was left out of our squad for Julian. I get that Low has stuck with him for a while, but Sane put up 14 goals and 19 assists in the Premier League and was one of the best players on the team. Radja missing on Belgium is also very weird for me, I don't get that one, he should even potentially be starting.

Nigeria and Serbia are my darkhorse picks for sure, also Nigeria has some swanky jerseys.

I don't think Ozil's injury is severe, nor is it a big loss, he's got an interesting playing style in comparison to the rest of the tight knit squad.

I've got Belgium coming out of the darkness and beating Brazil and France on their side of the bracket, I feel like De Bruyne will pop off spraying balls to Eden, Romelu and Mertens all tournament long. Defense is also very solid.

I find that most of the more glaring omissions are players playing abroad from their home country, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. (Sane, Martial, Lacazette, etc)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Still in shock Sane was left out of our squad for Julian. I get that Low has stuck with him for a while, but Sane put up 14 goals and 19 assists in the Premier League and was one of the best players on the team. Radja missing on Belgium is also very weird for me, I don't get that one, he should even potentially be starting.

Nigeria and Serbia are my darkhorse picks for sure, also Nigeria has some swanky jerseys.

I don't think Ozil's injury is severe, nor is it a big loss, he's got an interesting playing style in comparison to the rest of the tight knit squad.

I've got Belgium coming out of the darkness and beating Brazil and France on their side of the bracket, I feel like De Bruyne will pop off spraying balls to Eden, Romelu and Mertens all tournament long. Defense is also very solid.

I find that most of the more glaring omissions are players playing abroad from their home country, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. (Sane, Martial, Lacazette, etc)

If Löw doesn't have an unmarried female relative that he's trying to get Draxler to marry, I'll be surprised.

...and Mesut would be a huge loss. That bug-eyed savant has to be the most under-rated german player of the past few decades & we absolutely need him back if we're to go anywhere in the knockouts.

Reactions: Tryamkin

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
If Löw doesn't have an unmarried female relative that he's trying to get Draxler to marry, I'll be surprised.

...and Mesut would be a huge loss. That bug-eyed savant has to be the most under-rated german player of the past few decades & we absolutely need him back if we're to go anywhere in the knockouts.
I agree media would be a big loss, I just think he has a different play style from the gang.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I agree media would be a big loss, I just think he has a different play style from the gang.

I don't see it that way at all. Werner, Goretzka & Reus have (to varying degrees) different playing styles from the rest of the gang, because they all thrive on the counter more than they do in a more patient style like Jogi has us playing since ~2012. Which Mesut, Müller, Brandt, Ilkay, Toni, Sami, Kimmich, Mats, Boa & Hector all fit better, being happy to take it slow and string together long passing combinations methodically, when a clean counter can't be struck.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

Croatia's players are fine. We had a drop in quality post-98/2000 and before the 2008 generation came (Modric, Eduardo, Rakitic, Corluka, Klasnic, Srna, etc.).
Ever since then it's been a very talented generation of players getting obstructed by an inept and corrupt FA - appointing inexperienced or just bad managers. The fans are against the NT because they want the corruption out, the stadiums are empty, it's a complete farce - but the one time the government tried to get involved they were warned of by UEFA, under threat of sanctions.
Now Mamic (the boss of, well, everything) is on the run in Bosnia, after a 6.5 year sentence, so we'll see if something changes.

Anyway, give Ante Cacic the 2011 Barcelona or 2017 Madrid, both of those teams would end up fighting just for a CL spot.
He was absolutely the worst quasi-coach I've ever seen.

The current manager, Dalic, is another unknown. He only coached in the Middle East (albeit successfully), he's saying the right things, but his friendlies were spent with Modric playing CAM and being wasted there. Or experimenting with Vida at LB.

In the end, Croatia is what it always was, a tier 2 team, a dark horse, who can compete with anyone and beat anybody and look convincing doing it... Or they just can just flop and underperform and be shockingly bad.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Fernando Hierro of Madrid/Spain, Manny Ribera of Scarface or Don Eladio of breaking bad?
9B1B77C1-CE3F-43DE-8690-D562AF070CA3.jpeg
8C2F93A5-D00F-451E-B3CE-50CE5FCC3BAB.jpeg
712ED990-FFDF-4AE3-B136-5B8A1D661DA9.jpeg

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
That Mourinho was pretty great, Klopp/Jogi delivered, and Southgate/Kane was gold.

Harry Kane. The captain of England, who is a English speaker, yet still needs subtitles to be understood in English.
53BC5145-ADFF-4751-BEED-BA681061CD9F.jpeg

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Harry Kane is an inspiration for immigrants everywhere. If an english captain can be that bad at english, then my father who moved to america in his 30s, isn't doing that bad.

Reactions: koyvoo

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Harry Kane is an inspiration for immigrants everywhere. If an english captain can be that bad at english, then my father who moved to america in his 30s, isn't doing that bad.

I still think the Harry Kane goal "swear on my daughter's life" story is by far the most bizarre in football last season.
It's the first thing people think of when they hear "Harry Kane" now. Utter madness.

Reactions: koyvoo

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1