World Cup: 2018 FIFA World Cup

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Only a month left today. Come on people, where is the hype...

A lot of teams have already posted their preliminary squads.

World-Cup-2018-Group-Betting.jpg

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Still bitter that Ghana is not in the tournament, I was hoping for one more World Cup with Gyan in the mix

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Placed two wagers thus far - Uruguay and Belgium to win their respective groups.

Obviously very bummed about the United States not making it. It's going to diminish things just a bit for me, but I'm still thrilled that this tournament is right around the corner.

I am very excited to see what Poland can do. I am slightly concerned that they peaked a few years back in the Euros and a lot of key player are not on form right now (namely Krychowiak), but I think that they have a winnable group.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Starting to get hyped as the squads are being released and New Jersey could have legalized sports betting in two weeks :D

Though I think the lack of some "traditional" teams is taking the luster out of the tournament from neutrals and the fact the new seeding format means the groups aren't as competitive (on paper at least)

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I told myself back in October that I didn't want to watch the World Cup with the U.S. out , but I'll probably watch anyways to get my soccer fix. I guess I'll cheer for England or Germany.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I told myself back in October that I didn't want to watch the World Cup with the U.S. out , but I'll probably watch anyways to get my soccer fix. I guess I'll cheer for England or Germany.
Just tune in for the soccer. I’ll be cheering for France and Mexico.

Reactions: Evilo

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Reports that uncapped 19 year old Trent Alexander-Arnold has made the England squad.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
For a world cup sleeper you need an easy group, luck in the draw and possibly a player who can get ridiculously hot. Most likely candidates to me, in group order:

Egypt, Denmark, South Korea or Mexico, and the team most likely to me, Poland.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
What are people's sleeper picks for this World Cup?

Personally I'm thinking Croatia

Always interests mehow outsiders rate Croatia highly despite doing little in big tournaments since 1998, some betting sites have us like 8th favorites. They see the squad but not the politics around the team and the mentality of the team :D Problem with Croatia is their path to the final is tough IF they finish 2nd. Though again I was negative before Euro 2016 as well ;)

As a sleeper I would probably pick somebody from Group H to make a decent run (quarters). Poland or Colombia preferably, think they can beat Belgium/England in a one off to make the quarters and from there who knows

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Not sure why Poland would be considered a 'darkhorse' they are 10th in the FIFA rankings, FWIW, have a pretty solid squad which includes one of the best players in the world in Lewandowski.

I'm sure most people would view them and Columbia as the class of Group H.

A darkhorse to me, would be a country that could pull of what Costa Rica did 4 years ago in Brazil when they topped a difficult group that contained Italy, Uruguay and England and went on to the QF losing in penalties to Holland.

I think most 'experts' had them tipped to be rooted to the bottom of that group.

Who is a nation most would figure to be gone in group play that could go on a run.

As for Croatia, I could certainly see them finishing 3rd in their group behind Argentina and Nigeria. Just depends on the mood their in. I think the players like Dalic but we'll see what kind of tactician he is in a few weeks time. I just wonder about their backline, it's troublesome to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad