GDT: 2018 | Draft Lottery | 1st: 5% / 2nd: 5.3% / 3rd: 5.7% | 5:30PM/8:15PM | CBC/SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Good point. But its Just chiarelli. I'm not sure how much control he has. EVen the Yakupov pick was owner driven
That being said Chiarelli also drafted Dougie Hamilton at 9 so lets hope.

EDIT: Sorry for my snarkiness... didn't mean to be rude. Somehow forgot the Boston connection lol

Keith Gretzky is the main connection between the Bruins past drafts and the Oilers present. That 2014 draft was when Gretzky was given a lot more responsibility and he came up with a stud sleeper at 25th overall. Go look at the other players taken around Pastrnak to get a sense just how good that pick was. Anyways, let's hope K. Gretz can replicate that success here. Yamamoto certainly has potential to become a great late 1st round pick.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
As already noted we can only move up to 3, 2, or 1 not 'a couple'. That's not how it works. As also noted, the likelyhood of us going to #12 is about the same as winning the PB lottery. It could happen, and most likely will - once very 500 years or so (as in the #9 dropping to #12). So IMO it's #9, or a top 3. I love the idea of, if we do get 9th, keeping it and developing the kid properly like any successful team does (Wpg, Nashville, Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc. etc.) but PC is pretty much open for business if it's not a top 10 pick.

As you've been told, the 'bozo's you're talking about are long gone. I'm not worried about who we draft - I'm worried about what we get for the pick if we trade it. The Reinhart deal really came back to haunt us (in conjucntion with the Talbot deal, plus losing 2nd and 3rd for PC and TM). We have next to nothing in our pipeline and have to sign college FA's to fill out a somewhat competitive AHL roster. The players we have drafted IMO are fine for the most part, just need more of them.

So anywho, I'm hoping for a top 3 so we'll keep it. Scared as heck we stay at 9 and PC trades it for some 30 year old + winger that has one good year (if we're lucky) in him then nothing but another salary cap drain. Oilers are FUBAR already - trading the #9 pick for what I think we'll get for it makes us all that much worse IMO.

I agree we shouldn't trade the pick, unless it's in a package for a grave need like a top tier defenseman. The TM and PC picks were just so stupid. The NHL is so dumb for requiring those compensation picks.

I don't think the Talbot deal really did much damage.... didn't we end up getting Paigin with the pick we also got? The draftees as a result of the picks we ended up giving out haven't looked like they panned out to anything anyway

But yes, we do need picks to fill in players for Bakersfield.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
If there's one thing we're good at.... it's the draft lottery. Go balls Go!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
My conspiracy theory is the ref's are pissy about the Oilers because of the lotteries and the 1st overalls and the McDavid. Oil gets 1st overall this year and things might get worse. A universal salt across all fans in the league would be reflected in the psyche of the referees.

As much as we were ****ed by the refs it would be karma for us to win the lottery. At some point if it gets even worse you go to the MSM with a video showing all of the BS non calls and BS calls. I hope th1t we draft top 3 as a big FU to the league and its officials.

Reactions: VainGretzky

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Let's say we get the second pick. Who do you guys like better in Svechnikov/Zadina?
I like Zadina better, but I'm certainly in the minority, haven't seen much of either outside the WJC and youtube highlights. I know some respectable people who follow the draft a lot closer than I have said the gap between Dahlin and Svechnikov is closer than the gap between 2 & 3.

Reactions: ujju2

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Hoping we win one of the top 3 or stay at 9. Being guaranteed one of Hughes, Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard, or Wahlstrom would be pretty nice.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Sensing a big win for Calgary here. Hoping the top 3 looks like this:

1 Edmonton
2 Calgary
3 Calgary (sorry I mean the Isles)

Honestly don't think we will win. Would be happy with top5 pick.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
If we win 2nd or 3rd I'd look to trade down to 4-6 and snag one of Boquist/Bouchard. We could probably add a few 2nd's to the cupboard or fill a hole on the big club. No more high picks on wingers.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Let's say we get the second pick. Who do you guys like better in Svechnikov/Zadina?

I'd personally take Dobson or Hughes at 2. I can't pick between the two as I see both being very good players.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I'd personally take Dobson or Hughes at 2. I can't pick between the two as I see both being very good players.

That's certainly an off-the-board pick. I wouldn't do it personally. Yes, defence is our biggest issue, but wingers are also an issue, and as far as I'm concerned Svechnikov and Zadina are the BPAs (probably Svechnikov) at 2.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
That's certainly an off-the-board pick. I wouldn't do it personally. Yes, defence is our biggest issue, but wingers are also an issue, and as far as I'm concerned Svechnikov and Zadina are the BPAs (probably Svechnikov) at 2.

Meh I dunno, I could see Dobson being Pietrangelo vs 2.0 and Hughes putting up huge numbers. I don't know how you get a player like that without drafting them. If those two hit Svechnikov or Zadina basically have to be Ovie level players to acquire them.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Would love them to win call it Karma for Lowest PP opps since 79-80 in this era of speed. The meltdown on the mains would bring a tear to my eye.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Theres always that one GM that can make a pick that favours another team....looking back, as good a GM that Yzerman has been, taking Drouin while Jones was still on the table was not very astute.
while he was able to turn Drouin into Sergachev, ...one can only imagine what TBay would look like now with Vic Hedman and Seth Jones.
Let's hope another GM out thinks himself ahead of us, and leaves a diamond for us to pluck.

Reactions: Aerrol and McDrai

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I think its totally idiotic the way they're doing it this year.

Really? We gotta wait half way through the Vegas game to see the last 3 picks? Who decides this stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad