WC: 2018 Division I, II, III

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
This happened before game 1 then, I just didn't catch it in time.

Well actually GB hockey fans probably feel the same way about hockey federation I think. EIHL import rules are still a mess, junior teams were rather disappointing as well before Kirk showed up at the scene and it took them 4 years to climb back to D1A.

Kind of hard to see what's the hard work you are referring to. They aren't even clear of relegation yet and lets face it, a lucky win is lucky.

You’re being very disrespectful. A win isn’t necessarily lucky as we’ve shown twice in a week.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Well that's the point, Kazakhstan isn't in Eastern Europe and their names sound Russian because a lot of them are Russian. You don't always have to naturalize a North American, Russia produces plenty of hockey players too bad to play for them as well.

Dallman and Larsson, some real strong Russian names!

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
You’re being very disrespectful. A win isn’t necessarily lucky as we’ve shown twice in a week.
Geez Louise, I'm being disrespectful, don't call the police, please.

Shots in that game were 15-35 in favor of Slovenians. What's "disrespectful" about what I said?

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Geez Louise, I'm being disrespectful, don't call the police, please.

Shots in that game were 15-35 in favor of Slovenians. What's "disrespectful" about what I said?

No need to be a dick about it.

If you watched the game you’ll find that the Slovenians barely had a chance aside from their goal. 35 perimeter shots suit us just fine. GB’s biggest problem is hitting the net, the amount of missed attempts from golden opportunities is enough to make you tear your hair out.

But I suppose we have luckily beat Poland too?

Reactions: ukyote

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Dallman and Larsson, some real strong Russian names!

:facepalm:

What's the point of this post? Showing off name recognition? Seems like you are being dick about it.

Kazakhstan was part of Russia till 1991

Yes, and yet there are 8 guys who were born in actual Russia on that roster. They don't have Boyd, Bochenski or Dawes but they still do have plenty of naturalized players, albeit they are lower profile.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
No need to be a dick about it.

If you watched the game you’ll find that the Slovenians barely had a chance aside from their goal. 35 perimeter shots suit us just fine. GB’s biggest problem is hitting the net, the amount of missed attempts from golden opportunities is enough to make you tear your hair out.

But I suppose we have luckily beat Poland too?
Nobody said anything about the win against Poland, you can stop supposing at this point as you are, evidently, pretty bad at it. GB has quite an edge against Poland in head-to-head games and has now beaten them in regulation 3 times in a row in the official games. There is a significant difference between beating Poland and beating Slovenia, as you may or may not know.

Now, if you really do think there was nothing lucky about GB, which lost to Lithuania 7-2 a few days ago, winning against Slovenia while being badly outshot.. What else can I say. Moreover, calling it "disrespectful". Give me a break.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
:facepalm:

What's the point of this post? Showing off name recognition? Seems like you are being dick about it.

Yes, and yet there are 8 guys who were born in actual Russia on that roster. They don't have Boyd, Bochenski or Dawes but they still do have plenty of naturalized players, albeit they are lower profile.

Maybe cause it is me--I have less problems with players who sort of have a link to the country via historical union than five Canadians playing as hired guns

my logic is often confusing--but with Kasakhstan once being part of Russia we do not know whether or not the parents of grandparents of the players were from there or in fact if the players may have been born in Russis but raised is the country

Reactions: Hubie

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
my logic is often confusing--but with Kasakhstan once being part of Russia we do not know whether or not the parents of grandparents of the players were from there or in fact if the players may have been born in Russis but raised is the country
If you are looking for some moral ground for them to represent the country, sure, maybe. But if you look at the NT as a reflection of country's ability to produce hockey players (which being good at hockey mostly consists of) those guys are just as alien to the program as that Canadian guy.

Also, the situation you described might be very relatable to Belarus or Ukraine but Kazakhstan and Russia weren't really ever that close in any way other than both being a part of USSR. Different culture, names, religion, race. Everything. Even geographically Moscow and Astana are almost 3000 km apart.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Maybe cause it is me--I have less problems with players who sort of have a link to the country via historical union than five Canadians playing as hired guns

Well, Canada used to be a part of England so they aren't really imports, right? I'm being facetious, of course.

Don't mean to sound offensive, but you really don't know what you're talking about. Kazakhstan and Russia are two separate entities. Two entirely different nations. And the only thing connecting them is colonialism, with Kazakhstan being the former subject of Russia. In no way does it justify importing random hockey players from there to prop up their national team.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Well, Canada used to be a part of England so they aren't really imports, right? I'm being facetious, of course.

Don't mean to sound offensive, but you really don't know what you're talking about. Kazakhstan and Russia are two separate entities. Two entirely different nations. And the only thing connecting them is colonialism, with Kazakhstan being the former subject of Russia. In no way does it justify importing random hockey players from there to prop up their national team.

1991 explain what happened

he is sort of an over view

Post-Soviet states - Wikipedia

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
21% percent of Kazakhstan is Russian.
0% of Kazakhstan is Russian. There are quite a few ethnic Russians residing in Kazakhstan, though. I guess that's what you were trying to say. Unfortunately, that is completely unrelated to the topic of import players. Most Kazakahstani hockey players are ethnic Russians. No one has any quarrel with that.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
After the loss today POL probably faces relegation. They need a win vs. KAZ urgently. All other teams still have the possibility of promotion, also Slovenia which faces Italia and Kazachstan and could pass them with two wins.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, Poland is most likely done. Would have loved them to stay but realistically, other countries just showed they are more deserving.

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
if Netherlands could get their full team (looking at you, Tilburg Trappers) for next WC, they would stay in D1B easily. This year they're playing without Steve Mason, Mike Dalhuisen and Guus van Nes.

Will they (Trappers) ever get promoted to DEL2 or at least solve their calendar interference problem?

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
if Netherlands could get their full team (looking at you, Tilburg Trappers) for next WC, they would stay in D1B easily. This year they're playing without Steve Mason, Mike Dalhuisen and Guus van Nes.

Will they (Trappers) ever get promoted to DEL2 or at least solve their calendar interference problem?
What do you mean? Most of the team plays on the Trappers. But from what I have heard, they still won't be promoted to DEL2 so I guess they are destined to win the league every season.

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
What do you mean? Most of the team plays on the Trappers. But from what I have heard, they still won't be promoted to DEL2 so I guess they are destined to win the league every season.

Well I thought that they could finish DEL2 earlier (now I see that it also lasted until 22.4., but I guess they wouldn't reach playoff finals there) and they could bring their top roster to the WC, unlike previous two years when they played without core of Tilburg Trappers.

This year they managed to finish Oberliga two days before start of the WC D2A so they came in "full strength", but tournament is rather late, what if next year, the tournament will be a week before? They will miss most of their team again and likely get relegated.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Well I thought that they could finish DEL2 earlier (now I see that it also lasted until 22.4., but I guess they wouldn't reach playoff finals there) and they could bring their top roster to the WC, unlike previous two years when they played without core of Tilburg Trappers.

This year they managed to finish Oberliga two days before start of the WC D2A so they came in "full strength", but tournament is rather late, what if next year, the tournament will be a week before? They will miss most of their team again and likely get relegated.
The D2A has never been played as late as this year, so I'd wager that the Dutch as hosts had some kind of an impact on that. This year the Oberliga season concluded a week earlier than the previous year, although I'm not sure if it's a permanent change.

Of course, they would be promoted even if they didn't have the Tilburg players as the level of play is so low in the D2A. The D1B is usually played around this time so if the Oberliga finishes as early as it did this time, they should be fine.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I actually think Australia really could have challenged them if they didn't have Trappers, Dalhuisen and Mason.

I think Oberliga is perfect for the level-wise and I also think that it's not that they won't be promoted, it's that they don't want to be promoted due to lower traveling costs in Oberliga and lower budget required to stay competitive. They can let the young guys play now while in DEL2 they probably would have been stapled to the bench.

Problem is, that the way hockey in the Netherlands is going, Trappers or no Trappers, they can get relegated to the D2A again and this scheduling conflict will arise once more.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
One thing this 1B championship made me realize is how little depth Japan has as a hockey nation.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
if poland had jacek plachta, wolski, and Czerkawski right now in their prime...would this be enough for poland to advance to the highest division?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad