Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
1zoe140.jpg

2w7fsqg.jpg

awz7h4.jpg

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Holy **** Bennett looks like Gandalf with the helmet on. I'm all about this.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Tough break. Hopefully it's not too bad. If he's re-injured the same knee, that could just about close the last door on him getting a chance in the NHL.

Man this sucks for him, hopefully it does heal smoothly and he gets an NHL chance. but this must really blow for him.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Sam Bennett looking for breakout season with Calgary Flames

The team still appears to be committing to the former OHL Kingston Frontenacs superstar at centre, and it'll been an area of focus for him during the NHL pre-season which begins Monday for the club in split-squad games against the Edmonton Oilers at both the Saddledome (7 p.m.) and Rogers Place (7 p.m.).

Bennett has been centring a line with Kris Versteeg and Spencer Foo, a trio which could, potentially, be the team's third line (although Foo still needs to prove he belongs at the NHL level).
"I don't have any targets other than team goals," he said. "Those come as the team gets more successful . . . of course I want to be a top goal-scorer and a top point-getter on our team. I definitely think I have the tools. It's just a matter of putting those in game situations and taking advantage of my opportunities.

"As our team has success, the better we do, the better opportunities I'm going to have and the better my point totals will be."
"It's no secret that I haven't been the most consistent player, and that's frustrating for me," he said. "I want to be consistent. I want to play every game like I did in the playoffs. The goal I've had is to be more consistent like that."
On the physical side, Bennett placed a greater emphasis on skating this summer and bumped up his ice-times from two to four times a week from June through August. He reported over the weekend that he's gained about 10 pounds of muscle while maintaining the same body fat and weighed in at 200 lb.

Other than the beard, Gulutzan has noticed other differences in Bennett.

"There's Sam leading the drills," the coach said. "He's first to do the breakouts and first at the line to do all the drills. That's just the natural part of it. I see a difference in him already. His conditioning was real good, and his excitement and enthusiasm is evident on the ice. And now some of that leadership is coming out so it's good to see."

As for the beard?

"It's awful," teammate Matthew Tkachuk told the media at the Flames Charity Classic last week. "He looks like the guy from Goon 2."
40 goals, 30 assists, 100 points, book it, done.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Also, that's terrible news about Pribyl. Put The Mesh in that guy for the love of God

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Based solely on what I've read, my thoughts on the roster:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk/Bennett
Tkachuk/Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Jankowski-Versteeg
Stajan-Lazar-Brouwer

Foo as first call up. Alternatively, if you cannot keep Foo off the roster because he earned it, I guess Lazar scratched, Ferland down 4th line, Stajan back to Center and Versteeg to LW.

Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Stone-Kulak
Bart

Anderssen as first call up.

Biggest thing is it sounds like Janks and Foo are both playing quite well. However, trying to get them both on the team not in a 4th line role is really difficult.

I'm also loving what I'm hearing about Bennett's off season, his attitude and his drive even doing drills. I know we want him at center, but if Jankowski can hold down the third line, I really want to put Bennett in a place to succeed and I think the best place for that is the top six.

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
As much as I like him, I'm starting to wish that we didn't give up a 2nd for Lazar as we have so many players that are good enough or are almost good enough to make the team. That pick would've come in handy too

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Based solely on what I've read, my thoughts on the roster:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk/Bennett
Tkachuk/Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Jankowski-Versteeg
Stajan-Lazar-Brouwer

Foo as first call up. Alternatively, if you cannot keep Foo off the roster because he earned it, I guess Lazar scratched, Ferland down 4th line, Stajan back to Center and Versteeg to LW.

Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Stone-Kulak
Bart

Anderssen as first call up.

Biggest thing is it sounds like Janks and Foo are both playing quite well. However, trying to get them both on the team not in a 4th line role is really difficult.

I'm also loving what I'm hearing about Bennett's off season, his attitude and his drive even doing drills. I know we want him at center, but if Jankowski can hold down the third line, I really want to put Bennett in a place to succeed and I think the best place for that is the top six.

I would like to see Bennett with Johnny and Monahan.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don't think it matters if he's in the top 6. GG rolls his lines pretty much evenly. As long as he's not on the fourth line and has teammates he can play off of, he'll do just fine

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
x-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Bennett-Versteeg
Lazar-Stajan-Brouwer

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I don't think it matters if he's in the top 6. GG rolls his lines pretty much evenly. As long as he's not on the fourth line and has teammates he can play off of, he'll do just fine

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
x-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Bennett-Versteeg
Lazar-Stajan-Brouwer

No real spots for Jankowski or Foo, which was what I was trying to also make fit. If either of them make the team, I don't particularly want them on the 4th line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad