GDT: 2017 Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
So essentially, none of the good prospects that we have can steal the job from Bart and Tanner Glass

so our drafting has improved or is that just a mirage?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
So essentially, none of the good prospects that we have can steal the job from Bart and Tanner Glass

so our drafting has improved or is that just a mirage?

I am not so sure that any of our "good" prospects should have realistically been expected to steal a spot from either of those guys.

Andersson, Fox, Valimaki are all too young to be expected to play in the NHL. Gillies and Parsons also likely a year away (Parsons maybe more) from being expected to play. I don't think we have any good forward prospects.

With Monahan, Tkachuk and Bennett in the league already that's 3 forwards that realistically could all be rookies this season if not for them being so good that they played earlier than expected. I think that kind of throws a bit of a curveball when evaluating drafting and developing.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Outside of Janko I don't think we have any other good forward prospects other than Mangiapane and he just needs more time to simmer in the AHL. He was undrafted into the CHL and a late pick in the NHL draft so I expect him to take a long time, but he has proven every year since his first season in the OHL that he can improve the next year, so I expect big things from him. I thought he looked really good in pre-season, but needs to continue to get bigger and be more consistent. I like Dube as well, but again he is just super young. Valimaki is 18 years old and it is extremely rare for 18 year old defenders to make the team. Andersson I thought looked better than Bart but his Right Shot probably hurt him because HANDINESS IS SO IMPORTANT ON THE BACK END.

I'm fairly confident by years end Janko will be a full time Flame.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I am not sure there has ever been a worse thing to happen to this club than "never given, alwasy earned."

It has spawned so many terrible posts from fans complaining about something they don't like whether it fits with the quote or not.

Reactions: Anglesmith

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Janko should have been on the team. I agree that we needed to sign someone like Glass, but we need someone like him. But there’s no way Janks shouldn’t be on the team.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Janko should have been on the team. I agree that we needed to sign someone like Glass, but we need someone like him. But there’s no way Janks shouldn’t be on the team.
Thank Jagr for that. He's the one getting the spot that Janko earned.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't know if that's true. All Jagr did was push Brouwer onto the fourth line, I don't think it changes who plays at C.
Perhaps you're right, but I am on the belief that Jankowski was never going to be on the 4th line. So it was 3rd line or the AHL.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Do you not understand that different players have different roles on an NHL club? Brouwer and Stajan are two of our best penalty killers and 2 of the 3 forwards we use in 5 on 3 situations. Glass and Hathaway are pure checking forwards. They are not competing with Jankowski for a job, Jankowski needed to earn a top 9 spot because that 4th line will be a checking line.

Anything Brouwer does Jankowski can do better.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If you honestly believe that, you've just confirmed that you in fact do not understand that different players fill different roles and have different abilities

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

That isn't remotely true (and I am no fan of Brouwer) but even the things that we think Jankowski can do better have yet to be shown at the NHL level.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Wasn't that the previous coaching staff too?

Yes and at the time it was a great team building/motivation tool but it quickly morphed into something fans use as a way to try and justify pretty much any decision they don't like with the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad