GDT: 2017 Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
We have six and a half lines full of guys who are either established in or truly pushing for the 14 forward spots:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Poirier
Versteeg-Bennett-Foo
Mangiapane-Jankowski-Brouwer
Stajan-Lazar-Familton
Klimchuk-Hrivik-Frolik
Shinkaruk-Dube-Hathaway

Five guys are going to Stockton disappointed regardless of how they show (or are the next Byron and picked up off waivers to explode into 20 / 20 guys)

May 27, 2012
Earth
We have six and a half lines full of guys who are either established in or truly pushing for the 14 forward spots:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Poirier
Versteeg-Bennett-Foo
Stajan-Lazar-Familton
Klimchuk-Hrivik-Frolik
Shinkaruk-Dube-Hathaway

Five guys are going to Stockton disappointed regardless of how they show (or are the next Byron and picked up off waivers to explode into 20 / 20 guys)

michael-jordan-laugh.gif

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
There is no one that I'm worried about being waived. Lazar and Kulak won't get waived. They made that mistake with Byron. Book it. Klimmer has another year. The rest of the guys are tweeters.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
The only players with an outside shot of being claimed are Shinkurak (if the Nucks claim him) or Klimchuk on an outside chance, and Klimchuk is the only one I don't want to lose out of the waiver bunch.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Mangi - Janks - Brouwer was the fourth line I was hoping for all summer. Eatbread is making this team this year, book it

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The only players with an outside shot of being claimed are Shinkurak (if the Nucks claim him) or Klimchuk on an outside chance, and Klimchuk is the only one I don't want to lose out of the waiver bunch.

I thought Klimmer had 1 more year he can be sent down without waivers for

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Lazar could be claimed. Especially if Foo Mangiapane and Jankowski make him a press box scratch.

Poirier could be claimed. He is basically a 6'1" Byron. All he needs is a big camp to catch someone's attention.

Hathaway could be claimed. Might just be a fourth liner but he makes himself notoiced in the NHL level like the time he drew 5-6 penalties on the Sharks.

Shinkaruk could be claimed. NTTAWWT.

Hrivik has fine NHL underlyings. I doubt he is claimed but maybe another team has a better read on hi

Klimchuk is waiver exempt.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Why would Lazar get waived? They just spent a second round pick on him and he looked good in Flames silks.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Yeah, Lazar and Kulak aren't being waived. Their spots are basically guaranteed. Hathaway has a decent shot to make the team as the 12th to 14th forward.

Poirier, Shinkaruk, Hrivik and Wotherspoon/Bartkowski will all likely be waived but the only real loss there would be Poirier. And the odds of him being claimed are fairly small given his recent troubles; I would guess any organization interest would want to see how he does over a longer stretch before using an NHL spot on him.

Edit:

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
It would be pretty frustrating from an asset management perspective to spend a 2nd round pick and then protect Lazar only to waive him 6 months later.

I am not saying that I want him in the starting line-up based on what we gave up but I would think you could make moves to keep him on the roster for a little longer.

Kulak was left unprotected in the expansion draft and I think most teams have a guy like him in their organization. I doubt he is picked if he has to through waivers this early in the season. Once injuries start happening that may change but prior to the season I think he would be safe.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I'd love if Foo made the team. Bennett-Versteeg are more playmakers. Would be great to have his shot on that line.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Mangi - Janks - Brouwer was the fourth line I was hoping for all summer. Eatbread is making this team this year, book it

Mangiapane and Jankowski did great as linemates in the AHL and I'd be delighted to see them move up to the NHL together, but... with Brouwer? Yikes. I worry that everything he does wrong will be attributed to them and may sour the organisation's opinion of their talents.

Hrivik deserves to get a real chance. He's not a bad player to have on your fourth line.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Won't stop the total myth on the mainboards that Gio is "slowing down" but good on him. Exactly what you want to see from the captain. Also, good stuff from Hathaway too. Hope to see more of him this season

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah, Lazar and Kulak aren't being waived. Their spots are basically guaranteed.

I doubt if Kulak is a guaranty.

If waived, he may or may not get claimed. Every team in the NHL has a Kulak or two. LV didnt bother with him. He is vastly overrated here.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Poirier
Versteeg-Bennett-Foo
Stajan-Lazar-Familton
Klimchuk-Hrivik-Frolik
Shinkaruk-Dube-Hathaway

I can't see any of Klimchuk, Hrivik or Dube making the opening night roster no matter what they do in camp. The positions just aren't there for them at the moment.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Won't stop the total myth on the mainboards that Gio is "slowing down" but good on him. Exactly what you want to see from the captain. Also, good stuff from Hathaway too. Hope to see more of him this season

Nice to see that he did better than last year too. :yo:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Wasn't overly impressed with Brouwer. Plays seemed to die on his stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad