WC: 2017 Team Switzerland

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Terrible game from start to finish tonight, the score would have looked much worse if Denmark had half-decent special teams.

Some ok play by the forward, most notably Brunner and Malgin, but this defense will not get the team anywhere, way too slow and clumsy to handle the forecheck. Diaz looked tired, maybe he should get some rest on Saturday.

I wonder if Richard will be able to play already?

AussieDave27

Aug 4, 2014
Richard's plane was delayed which prevented him from playing tonight.

But yes, a disappointing performance.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I thought Schlumpf was ok, I really liked Suter who should make the team. Praplan could be a late cut. Suri tried hard but he couldn't hide that he's just out of shape. Marti looks worse than last year, Genazzi is just nothing special for this level as is Loeffel. Paschoud looks better than Marti. Kukan showed some promise, he'll those two friendlys to adjust. I think this will help Diaz as well.

But Fischer will check the results from Nashville before breakfast. :)

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo

Mmmh, not only Nashville looks rather great out there, but also It looks like Fiala will be out for quite a long time.
Poor kid, if his leg is not broken I'd be really surprised.
He was playing really good in these playoffs

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I thought Schlumpf was ok, I really liked Suter who should make the team. Praplan could be a late cut. Suri tried hard but he couldn't hide that he's just out of shape. Marti looks worse than last year, Genazzi is just nothing special for this level as is Loeffel. Paschoud looks better than Marti. Kukan showed some promise, he'll those two friendlys to adjust. I think this will help Diaz as well.

Kukan was the best defenseman yesterday, and Sutter has been the best since the beginning of the training camp, I'm not worried about them. Schlumpf was probably OK, but Marti had terrible game and Paschoud was a bit better but looked bad on a few occasion, most notably the fourth goal. Genazzi is fine with the puck, but should have done better on the fifth goal. Loeffel doesn't make as many mistakes as I would have expected, but his offensive contribution is inconsistent at best. We'll see tomorrow if Untersander and Furrer can do better.

I can see Praplan being replaced by Hollenstein, and Suri did enough yesterday to deserve one more chance but it will be difficult for him to crack the roster. Not sure what to do with Rüfenacht, I thought he would replace Herzog, but Herzog had a good game yesterday.

And St Louis looks as useless as Chicago.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Tanner Richard is playing tonight. No news on Malgin, I hope that if it'd be serious there would have been some communication.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Malgin not playing, Richard with Brunner and Bodenmann:

Hiller (Schlegel)

Marti - Diaz
Furrer - Untersander
Kukan - Sutter
Paschoud - Schlumpf

Rüfenacht - Romy - Ambühl
Hollenstein - Haas - Praplan
Bodenmann - Richard - Brunner
Suri - Schäppi - Herzog
Suter

Not dressed: Genoni, Genazzi, Loeffel, Malgin, Almond, Baltisberger

Last edited:

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
2-0 victory, two goals from Haas. Last one ENG.
Solid Hiller, great in controlling rebounds and with a couple big glove saves.
Great box play, Denmark's pp has been shut down very effectively. Decent swiss pp units, did not score but kept the zone well and shot a lot.
Brunner's line the most dangerous but, for me, Schäppi MVP.
Not much created in 5vs5 though, it seems to me that they count a little too much on Brunner and Ambühl's capability of pulling something out of their magic hat.
All in all decent game, specially the defensive part.
On a side note, Elhers is a great player and wow he's fast.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
2-0 victory, two goals from Haas. Last one ENG.
Solid Hiller, great in controlling rebounds and with a couple big glove saves.
Great box play, Denmark's pp has been shut down very effectively. Decent swiss pp units, did not score but kept the zone well and shot a lot.
Brunner's line the most dangerous but, for me, Schäppi MVP.
Not much created in 5vs5 though, it seems to me that they count a little too much on Brunner and Ambühl's capability of pulling something out of their magic hat.
All in all decent game, specially the defensive part.
On a side note, Elhers is a great player and wow he's fast.

Sounds like we watched the same game. Unconvincing, especially on the offense, but at least way better than on Wednesday. I'm not as happy with the power play as you are.

Hiller pretty much solved any possible goalie controversy, three shutouts in three games. Good game by Bodenmann and Rüfenacht, Diaz a lot better than on Wednesday. Romy didn't play after the first period, hopefully nothing bad.

The last cuts have been postponed to Tuesday after the game against Canada.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, that sums it up pretty good. Paschoud and Loeffel the obvious cuts on D in my opinion. Untersander had a very solid game and I think he'll also be able to offer it a the WC.

The situation on the offense is more difficult. A lot of players who could sometimes make a difference but you cannot be sure who is able to do this at the WC. Bodenmann is such a guy, he could be very important and maybe step into the role of Moser, but he could end with 0 points. I hope Malgin is ok, he could be very important.

Edit: What I missed, Furrer is very important for this team, offers a lot of defensive stabilty.

Last edited:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Untersander having a solid game probably means that Loeffel is out, but I'm not sure about the other cut. Paschoud was poor yesterday but I think he's been better than Marti overall. I wouldn't be surprised if Fischer registers only 7 defensemen as long as Nashville doesn't go through. Diaz, Kukan, Furrer, Untersander, Sutter and Schlumpf should be locks, and from the rest I think that Genazzi had the best camp.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Lineup:

Diaz - Marti
Untersander - Kukan
Genazzi - Sutter
Loeffel - Schlumpf

Ambühl - Malgin - Brunner
Bodenmann - Richard - Rüfenacht
Suri - Almond - Baltisberger
Suter - Schäppi -Herzog
Romy

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
The whole Hollenstein-line sitting could mean that they all will travel to France.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Can't say I'm surprised by Romy, the other centers were simply better. Paschoud and Baltisberger make sense too, but I don't understand Sutter. He didn't look good on two goals tonight, but played pretty well over the whole training camp.

About the game, I don't know what to think. Two goals are mistakes by Genoni, and the defensive organisation was ok, but absolutely nothing on offense, especially on the power play.

I don't see this team going anywhere, the roster looks like a combination of the 2016 defense and the 2015 forwards. I just hope I will be proven wrong.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
You can't argue with that. Romy was a shadow from his past play, Paschoud was clear anyway and Sutter struggled more yesterday than his direct opponents. Loeffel was pretty solid, without offensive influence but without severe errors. Genazzi outplayed them anyway.

They also said that they will keep spots open for NA-players but with the results from this night this is probybly obsolete. Nashville up 3-1 and Meier scored once to go to the 2nd round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad