WC: 2017 Team Switzerland

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Good game yesterday, especially defensively. The only aspect I didn't like was the power play.

I also tought that the Romy-Malgin and Brunner-Ambühl pairs worked better than Malgin-Ambühl and Romy-Brunner.

Geering cut isn't such a big surprise, he has been really disappointing so far, although I would have given him another chance. Flüeler is strange, he got three games to Schlegel's one and did really well. Heldner was expected, even though he played well yesterday.

Kukan is huge addition, with him and Diaz there finally is something that look like top pair defensemen. I also expected Schlumpf to make the team. Rüfenacht should take Herzog's spot. Not that he was bad, but he doesn't bring enough offensively (or maybe he could slide to the fourth line and take Baltisberger's spot, but Schäppi and Baltisberger have done very well so far). Not sure where Bodenmann would fit, maybe in Praplan's spot? And I can't see a place for Suri.

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
For the goalies situation, Genoni should be the one and Hiller the second. So Fischer said he wants a young goaltender for the third position, it is why Schlegel stays instead Flueler.

It is a shame than we never had so many NHL players and we ll possibly end up with only Malgin who still is an unproved NHL player. Especially now than the olympic games ll be without them. So now the only way to play in international level is the world championship.

Last edited:

AussieDave27

Aug 4, 2014
I'd personally prefer Hiller as the #1 given his strong international experience.

Bloody Nashville winning the first round!

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
If the Blues would sweep Nashville we could still get Josi, Weber and Fiala.

Highly unlikely though.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Oha, no use for him for the Syracuse Crunch anymore?

That makes it 7C on the roster (+Ambühl who can play that also).

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Too many centers, who would have thought this could happen?

Suter hasn't played center yet, and Schäppi works better as a winger. Romy and Haas are pure centers, and Almond seems set for the 4th line, so I guess that Malgin or Richard will play on the wing.

I wonder if Richard will play on Friday already.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Probably not, Syracuse would be eliminated on Friday at the earliest, that would give him only one exhibition game to show what he can do.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
It's been a while since I saw Tanner play. But with his physical consitution I would say he's set as a center. But an interesting player, his numbers in the AHL are quite good, also a good guy for the PK if I remember correctly.

The only players who'd get a late call-up would be Josi, Weber and Fiala I guess. And especially Josi is a no-brainer you should take anytime.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Finally some good news. First the addition of Kukan and now we eventually got to see Richard again.
I didn't realise he was scratched by Syracuse ( had a strong start to the season), thought he must be injured for not playing in the POs.

I remember him as a combination of grit, a bit of a mean-game and a proper IQ with nice playmaking skills. Not something you see a lot in swiss hockey. Worked good with Lino and Ghetto for several junior NTs IIRC.

On the downside he never was a dangerous shooter and has a history of taking stupid penalties.

Im eager to see what he brings on the table. 3rd/4th Line center I suppose.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
I do not know how it works in the AHL but is it common to scratch somebody for the whole playoff round?
What happens in case of injuries then?
And what is his contract status? Did he sign anything like Vermin?

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
The situation is very strange with Richard. During the season, I read that his coach says he has a bigger potential than what he showed. Than, he was not playing for 2 weeks due to adjust his tactic or some king of stuff like this. After he came back and he was playing on regular basis. And later during the season, he disappeared for the team, without being injured. And finally not playing in playoff too.

Is it a big problem with his coach? So strange, but it seems like his days with Syracuse are behind him. Let's see what he can show with Swizterland and if his condition is good.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Bärtschi is so unlucky, injured in the last regular season game in 2013, in the first period of the WC in 2014 and 2 games before the end of the regular season in 2017. The guy will be 25 this year and has 7 minutes of ice time for Switzerland.

Andrighetto is officially out too, despite playing every Colorado game in April.

The team plays well (not only last month, but during the February and November breaks too) and I want to be optimistic, but four injuries to key players and Nashville beating Chicago? Come on!

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
jonas2244 Link???

twitter-account of the swiss federation. :)

A lot of players are missing, that's true, a lot of talent injured or in the playoffs. But still we're able to ice a decent team, which shows how much depth we now have. It's still thin at the top, but just behind the top there has been a great growth of talent in the past few years.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Depth is fine (at least at forward, I'm still not convinced by some defensemen), but not many difference makers on the roster.

Brunner and Hollenstein will probably get their points, but the other forwards are either unproven or inconsistent offensively.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Since SJ is out too; will Meier play the AHL playoffs or is there a chance of him joining the Squad?

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Meier was sent down already. He could be out on Monday or Wednesday, too late to play in the last exhibition game.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Lineup for tonight vs. Danmark:
Genoni (Schlegel)

Kukan - Diaz
Marti - Sutter
Genazzi - Schlumpf
Paschoud - Loeffel

Hollenstein - Haas - Parplan
Herzog - Romy - Brunner
Suter - Malgin - Ambühl
Suri - Almond - Baltisberger

Not dressed: Hiller, Furrer, Untersander, Bodenmann, Rüfenacht, Schäppi and Richard.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
A bit disappointing, I was hoping to see where the Bern players could fit. Not a big fan of the Romy line either, Brunner's passing skills are a bit wasted here.

Suri put in pretty much the only spot he can succeed, but I can't see him outplay Schäppi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad