WC: 2017 Team Switzerland

scipio

Apr 21, 2015
Zürich
I noticed that it read "Suisse" at the jerseys of your players, how come its only Suisse and not Suisse on one arm and Schweiz on the other? I mean, why is the name in French and not also in German?

Hmm, interesting question. Maybe because Suisse is similarly pronounced as Swiss? So it's perceived as easier to understand for everybody :D

AussieDave27

Aug 4, 2014
This is also the case in other sports (even in handball, which strangely is way more popular in German speaking Switzerland and has no media coverage in the French part).

But I have no idea why this is the case.

Switzerland's international presence has always been "Suisse" and I imagine it is related to the Olympics typically having French as a major language, and with the IOC headquarters in Lausanne in the French region.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Thanks for the replies! I'm going to keep an eye on him during the game against Canada today. Just wanted to now more about him as anyone can lookeep great or terrible in a one game sample.

I think most of that came from just blogger speculation really.

I was impressed with our boy (;)) Herzog though. Praplan was very good as well.

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
Ambri fan = ticinese ?

Not necessarily ... Ambri has a huge fan base accross Switzerland.
Ambri and Piotta villages have less than 2000 inhabitants !

Most ticinese are in favor of Lugano ... and winning helps to sustain it's fan base. In this, Ambri is a miracle on ice. I believe that, if they went down to NLB, they would never come back to NLA again.
The Gods of hockey want them in the "big league".

I don't think that most from Ticino are Lugano fans.

Icm not from Ticino, but close to Ambri (central Switzerland).

Anyway, back to topic... I'm impressed by Herzog. :)

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Ambri fan = ticinese ?

Not necessarily ... Ambri has a huge fan base accross Switzerland.
Ambri and Piotta villages have less than 2000 inhabitants !

Most ticinese are in favor of Lugano ... and winning helps to sustain it's fan base. In this, Ambri is a miracle on ice. I believe that, if they went down to NLB, they would never come back to NLA again.
The Gods of hockey want them in the "big league".

I was simply asking a question...

Most Ticinesi are not in favor of Lugano. It's split 50/50, pretty evenly. Ambrì is a miracle indeed, because if not for everyone in Ticino, they wouldn't exist: at the end of the 98/99 season they were bankrupt, so they sent a letter to every family in Ticino asking for donations, so as not to go into bankruptcy. Lo and behold, all Ticinesi (including Lugano fans) pulled together and saved Ambrì.

I don't think that most from Ticino are Lugano fans.

Icm not from Ticino, but close to Ambri (central Switzerland).

Anyway, back to topic... I'm impressed by Herzog. :)

If I would have to hazard a guess, I would guess from Uri. A ton of Ambrì fans there.

I am a Ticinese, by the way. That's why I was asking. To the best of my knowledge, I am the only one in this website.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
I'm kind of ticinese. I come from the Gruyère, but I grew up close to Locarno, then crossed the border and moved to Milan.
Anyways, Italian is my language and my french now sucks bad.
Still my passport carries the name of the municipality formerly known as Dongio: Acquarossa. The mighty Acquarossa

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I'm kind of ticinese. I come from the Gruyère, but I grew up close to Locarno, then crossed the border and moved to Milan.
Anyways, Italian is my language and my french now sucks bad.
Still my passport carries the name of the municipality formerly known as Dongio: Acquarossa. The mighty Acquarossa

I just had yesterday some double cream from Gruyère. Lovely stuff from a lovely place. Everyone visiting Switzerland should go at least once to the Gruyère. :handclap:

I of course know Acquarossa ("red water" in English), I have been to the Blenio Valley a million times, especially since it was my father's favorite local spot for vacationing cheaply and brought the family there every summer. Been up there many times, especially in the Campo Blenio area. Good stuff!

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
I noticed that it read "Suisse" at the jerseys of your players, how come its only Suisse and not Suisse on one arm and Schweiz on the other? I mean, why is the name in French and not also in German?

French just sounds better. And it was either French or English IMO.

Anyway, just came back from Paris and there's one thing that did struck me; I obviously saw a lot of Swiss fans and they were either speaking "German" or French, but I didn't hear a single one speaking Italian so I'm wondering if they even care about our NT. Now I know there aren't a lot of them in Switzerland and there are also more guys on the team speaking English than Italian :laugh: :laugh: but still, they're usually the best fans when it comes to NLA games... So I do have to say I was a bit surprised about that.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
I think it's just by chance that you did not meet anyone. Reading comments on the articles about the national team on the italian media I saw some people talking about losing interest in this "germanocentric" national team, complaining about the lack of preparatory matches in Ticino, and the lack of ticinese (?) player like Pestoni (not this year though) or Fazzini, but all in all I do not think that's really an issue for most.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich

Well, our resident Frenchies should have at least SOMETHING going their way.
The Swiss hockey federation is otherwise heavily catering to the needs and wishes of the German speaking part of our nation more often than not.

French just sounds better.
Uh let's agree to disagree.

Problem is that any kind of neutral wording would be too long. Switzerland is already borderline.
Confoederatio Helvetica would be WAY too much.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I have to agree, French normally sounds better than German, in probably any situation and as long as I don't have to speak it. :)

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Swiss German can range from fairly pleasant (Graubünden) to absolutely dreadful (Zürich, Thurgau, Basel) depending on where the person is from.

I'm just absolutely no fan of the French language. Not really into nasal honking.

It's too bad that the two nicest languages, Italian and Rumantsch, are spoken by like 15% (EDIT: Thinking of it, it's probably a lot closer to 8%) of our country.

Last edited:

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
French just sounds better. And it was either French or English IMO.

Anyway, just came back from Paris and there's one thing that did struck me; I obviously saw a lot of Swiss fans and they were either speaking "German" or French, but I didn't hear a single one speaking Italian so I'm wondering if they even care about our NT. Now I know there aren't a lot of them in Switzerland and there are also more guys on the team speaking English than Italian :laugh: :laugh: but still, they're usually the best fans when it comes to NLA games... So I do have to say I was a bit surprised about that.

You answered your own question. Ticino's population is 330,000, Switzerland's population is 8,287,000. Therefore that means that 3.98% of the Swiss population is from Ticino. I wouldn't be surprised to be hearing French and German, when the Ticinesi amount to roughly 4% of the lot. You have about a 1 in 25 odds of seeing a Ticinese there.

About caring for sports & national teams, you could not be more mistaken about us. We're technically of Italian culture and you must surely be aware of how important are sports for that ethnicity. It's almost a... religion.
As far as hockey is related, it is very much a beloved sport in Ticino, too. The fact that 2 out of 12 teams in the NLA is from Ticino, it's not by chance.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Switzerland's international presence has always been "Suisse" and I imagine it is related to the Olympics typically having French as a major language, and with the IOC headquarters in Lausanne in the French region.

I wonder if the prononciation of Swiss (which sounds Souisse), doesn't help rather than Schweiz ??

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
@bianconero: Svitto, but it's close to Ambrì too. :)

Let's see how our team plays against Willy & friends!

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Untersander and Richard missed today's practice and Brunner practiced without contact. Hopefully nothing serious.

Hiller and Furrer practiced normally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad