WC: 2017 Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Where i'm said Vaakanainen,Tolvanen,Hintz,Vesalainen,Saarijärvi and Heiskanen will all become NHL players?
Don't start to rewrite my comments.

"But even you can't ignore that fact those guys ... will be the future of Finland's men's national team in 5 yrs period.

I just said that of those guys, there is a very strong likelyhood they bust.
Perttu Lindgren for example was 75th drafted, star in Liiga as a kid, 1 NHL game - 14 appearances in EHT for Leijonat

Back then, we would also have said Perttu Lindgren will be national team star, he was that good. 2 points in 14 EHT games isn't that good.

Hence, we have to wait with kids, no matter how much talent they seem to have.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
^^ Ehm guys... there is a thread where you can discuss guys like Vaakanainen, Vesalainen and Tolvanen: it's called "finnish prospects". Nothing to do with Finland's 2017 WHC team. Stop your OT debate please. But I have to say it's rather stupid to compare guys like Perttu Lindgren to today's draftees about what they project as, because scouting has vastly improved since then.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Why should people feel bad for him? He was abysmal in the tournament and was not worth of the starting spot.
I wouldn't say he was "absymal", it was more to do with our absymal defense. Sure he was bad in his last game, but for example against the Czech team he was really good imo.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Well, what a disappointment, we were supposed to lose to US hockey gods like 52-0 and now this disaster... Who can we bad mouth???

StiffSquid

Nov 17, 2016
North Carolina
Holy Crap. It's nice to be wrong. I have my .22 ready , time for some crow hunting LOL.

To be honest would have been happy with either team winning , both home teams for me , Finland of course being the more important.

Good Stuff

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I wonder if I should go quote hunting to the earlier pages of this thread... and ask if certain chicken littles still hold those same opinions.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
People haven't really learned anything from the past tournaments it seems. Same thing every year with one loss to a weaker country.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
I still think Marjamäki is the wrong coach for Finland. But I do lift my hat to the line changes he has made and the way they tried to play at some point - today was a great win, but not the type of hockey we should be playing.
Imo USA lost, more than we won.
Had they pressured our defenders more I think it would have been totally different result.
However, it seems Team USAs fun for the euro road trip ended and they came out half arsed

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
The biggest difference was that Pillu was thrown away from the top 6... finally. Sebastian "the Professor" Aho was on his game.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
I still think Marjamäki is the wrong coach for Finland. But I do lift my hat to the line changes he has made and the way they tried to play at some point - today was a great win, but not the type of hockey we should be playing.
Imo USA lost, more than we won.
Had they pressured our defenders more I think it would have been totally different result.
However, it seems Team USAs fun for the euro road trip ended and they came out half arsed

Well, I think this just proves the point that to overcome puck control game by speed you really have to be strong and balanced. Canada can do it and has done it, North America did it in the fall. But I do understand those who say that we can't start skating and scoring competitions with these super fast teams - so that, yes, we need to update puck control into more speedier version but keep the essentials of it. And today was a truly beautiful example how well Finland can play against imbalanced and badly timed pressure when it gets its own timing right and five skaters into cohesive units.

So, I don't think that it's a pity we won - we were clearly the better team and the victory was totally earned. Never underestimate Finland in a death match! (It is curious how many of our own fans tend to underestimate our team year after year...)

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I wonder if I should go quote hunting to the earlier pages of this thread... and ask if certain chicken littles still hold those same opinions.

I still think Marjamäki's hockey philosophy is horrible anti-hockey. And I still don't like him as our coach one bit. I for sure hope that you are going to be right about him in that, that he would be able to learn from his mistakes in the future. His play style is too passive in my opinion, even if it worked perfectly now against the USA. I just have never liked the overly opportunistic overcoaching playstyles that ruined already soccer a long time ago, and has been seriously doing the same in hockey.

But for sure a great result for Marjamäki and the team, so congratulations to them. I just hope Marjamäki will start using a more active playstyle in the future, especially if it will be a best against best tournament. Because now I honestly have to admit that we are stuck with him for several years after this result...

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
In all honesty the U.S was a travesty. They didn't come to play but to float to an easy win. And that was essentially due to Team Finland's abysmal showings in the round robin. And that was no smart ass tactics but sheer lousy performing.

So... A nice win. But - lol.

No matter I'll take it but the nick name change is a different matter... Hah.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Just because Finland won one important game doesn't mean that Marjamäki has solidified his position as the head coach. If he keeps this success up and show's that he can adjust, then I'm happy to say I was wrong.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day :).

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Imo we played fairly active game in the 50mins. It was actually quite pleasant to watch, if some of the guys could finish a little better, the game would have been 4-0 after the 2nd period.

sooni

Oct 23, 2014
Vaasa
Well, I think this just proves the point that to overcome puck control game by speed you really have to be strong and balanced. Canada can do it and has done it, North America did it in the fall. But I do understand those who say that we can't start skating and scoring competitions with these super fast teams - so that, yes, we need to update puck control into more speedier version but keep the essentials of it. And today was a truly beautiful example how well Finland can play against imbalanced and badly timed pressure when it gets its own timing right and five skaters into cohesive units.

So, I don't think that it's a pity we won - we were clearly the better team and the victory was totally earned. Never underestimate Finland in a death match! (It is curious how many of our own fans tend to underestimate our team year after year...)

I´m pretty much thinking same way... Marjamäki knew exactly that he is not having best team in this tournament as paper. He knows exactly how to play this chess and he is best in the wold of that.

Truth is that Finland will have to change that kind of playing and go on to play faster hockey for sure, eventually that will happen.

We need to just wait to our golden era to grow up just to be ready for it. (Vesalainen, Pulju, Tolvanen, Välimäki, Heiskanen etc etc...) Our future is bright. I´m pretty sure that Marjamäki knows that as well, maybe he is not that guy who is changing that course, but i still have strong believe on him.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Imo we played fairly active game in the 50mins. It was actually quite pleasant to watch, if some of the guys could finish a little better, the game would have been 4-0 after the 2nd period.

Well at least a bit more than in most of the other games. Not that big difference though in my opinion. Switching Aho as center was a great thing to do, and it seriously helped Finland control the game more when Aho was on the ice (he should definitely play as a center in the NHL too, he could become a real top class center after some time of practice). Even despite Pyörälä and Pulju as his linemates were really pretty bad. Pulju especially was again a complete mess. A disaster with the puck and at least as big disaster when he was without the puck. At least he was trying hard for sure, but the kid is right now in a really bad place as a player. He is definitely not even close of being an NHL player.

Pulju should definitely fire his manager Mettovaara and get some real good manager, who would have the real great understanding and contacts that could help him develop himself in the right ways. Everything is going seriously wrong for him at the moment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad