WC: 2017 Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
So where is our 2017 WHC Team Finland thread already :)? It's usually here much earlier than this every year or are people too focused on following Laine & Aho and the other Finnish young guns in the NHL as this is a special time for Finnish players. It certainly made me watch more NHL than before.

So I think it's time to make the thread as it starts to be pretty clear that few names will be coming from the NHL. I'll just mention a few NHL/AHL guys but not all of them. I'm unsure whose contracts are expiring so that might be one reason some wouldn't come but here goes:

Strong NHL candidates for the team:
Rantanen - He said in an interview he wants to come.
Aho
Teräväinen
Markus Granlund
Niemi and Lehtonen - I guess just one of these would come. We got Rämö and Koskinen in Europe too though.

Borderline cases or probably wont make it to playoffs:
Laine - I still think Winnipeg can pull of a miracle and get to playoffs
Armia - Same as above
Lindell
Ristolainen
Valtteri Filppula - Almost always made it to the playoffs with his NHL team and went deep there so I read he has been in a WHC tourney only once (my memory says he has been there more often than that though). I hope that the lack of WHC appearances gives him motivation to come.

Special mentions:
Puljujärvi - I hope. Would be exciting to see him there. Edmonton needs to be out of the playoffs then. Unsure of his AHL team & playoffs. Kind of a long shot I guess.
Pulkkinen - Moved to Arizona. I personally don't want him this year as we'll get a lot of quality forwards this time probably.
Honka - I personally would like to see Honka in WHC, but we got good defensemen in Europe too.
Barkov, Jokinen, Lehterä - Florida and St. Louis have a chance to make it to playoffs still, but we might just get lucky.
Kapanen - I'd like him in the team if Toronto doesn't make it and if his AHL team is out also.

Expected to make it to the playoffs and maybe do well there:
Minnesota - Granlund, Koivu, Haula
Columbus - Korpisalo, Korpikoski, Hännikäinen
Montreal - Lehkonen
NY Rangers - Raanta
Chicago - Pokka - In AHL but I guess he is locked to not come as long as Chicago remains in the playoffs.
Edmonton - Pakarinen. Puljujärvi & Sallinen in AHL currently.
Ana - Vatanen
Nashville - Rinne, Saros. Salomäki in AHL.
Boston - Rask
Ottawa - Jokipakka - Not as much a playoff beast team as the other teams listed in my opinion at this moment.

Miracle if these guys come:
Komarov - Said after World Cup that he has probably retired from the NT. So I'm guessing at minimum he has a break year now from NT and will probably be lured to Olympics some way if NHL players are gonna ply there. Toronto might make it to playoffs also.
Donskoi- Injured for a long time now and his team is expected to go deep in the playoffs.
Määttä - Just recovered from an injury and Pittsburgh is defending their Stanley Cup win hard

Last edited:

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Should get a good team for the run. Only that the inept coach can turn even it to a bunch of - "sissies"!

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
So I think it's time to make the thread as it starts to be pretty clear that few names will be coming from the NHL. I'll just mention a few NHL/AHL guys but not all of them. I'm unsure whose contracts are expiring so that might be one reason some wouldn't come but here goes:

Here you are, contract expiring following players:
Korpisalo,Kiviaho,Laurikainen,Gibson, Jokipakka, Pokka, Lindell, Lindbohm
Granlund Mi, Haula, Pakarinen, Pulkkinen, Korpikoski, Teräväinen,Ikonen, Donskoi, Hännikäinen, Sallinen.

I posted this roster to Jatkoaika over a month ago, based on that moment situation:

Aho-Barkov-Laine
Mi.Aaltonen-Filppula-Rantanen
Hartikainen-MaGranlund-Armia
Pyörälä-Koskiranta-Joensuu
Osala, Savinainen/Kemppainen/Haapala

Lepistö-Ristolainen
Ohtamaa-Hietanen
Kukkonen-Honka
Salmela-Virtanen

Lehtonen
Koskinen
Ortio
(Rämö, Niemi)

Part of the players whose contract is expiring might come.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Strong NHL candidates for the team:
Rantanen - He said in an interview he wants to come.
Aho
Teräväinen
Markus Granlund
Niemi and Lehtonen - I guess just one of these would come. We got Rämö and Koskinen in Europe too though.
TT doesn't have a contract for the next season.

Here's what I could see happening, if the usual suspects from the NHL don't make it or bow out early from the playoffs:

Koskinen
Rämö
Säteri

Kivistö - Ristolainen
Lepistö - Hietanen
Kukkonen - Ohtamaa
Lehtonen - Lajunen

Laine - Barkov - Rantanen
Jokinen - Mi.Aaltonen - Aho
Ma.Granlund - Kontiola - Armia
Hartikainen - Kemppainen - Osala
+T.Sallinen, Haapala

On goalies one of the Dallas pair is naturally a possibility. But that euro trio is a good starting point.

Defense is kinda meh at the moment. Ristolainen and the reliable euro pairing Lepistö - Hietanen are the shining spots, but a lot of our regular euro guys are having abysmal seasons - like Jaakola and that small legion we have in Kunlun. I patched the holes with some guys who haven't looked like absolute poo-poo on EHT this far, but I expect this barometer to go up and down a lot during the camp. Well, Dallas youngsters Lindell and Honka should both be available and would help a lot - but neither doesn't have a contract ATM.

Offense is where it looks good. Of course, it could also get a lot worse than what I have here, but there's also some room for extra optimism in the other way in that lineup. Flip and Lehterä are possibilities from overseas, and there are lots of usual suspects in Europe too.

Last edited:

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Laine-Barkov-Rantanen
Jokinen-Filppula-Aho
Granlund-Kontiola-Armia
Pihlström-Kemppainen-Hartikainen
Aaltonen

Lepistö-Ristolainen
Lindell-Hietanen
Kukkonen-Ohtamaa

Koskinen

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Here you are, contract expiring following players:
Korpisalo,Kiviaho,Laurikainen,Gibson, Jokipakka, Pokka, Lindell, Lindbohm
Granlund Mi, Haula, Pakarinen, Pulkkinen, Korpikoski, Teräväinen,Ikonen, Donskoi, Hännikäinen, Sallinen.

Would suck to loose both TT and Lindell due to contract negotiations. I hope we get at least one of them. I hope we also get one of the AHL/borderline AHL defenders in Pokka & Jokipakka despite of contract situations.

Jokinen - Mi.Aaltonen - Aho
Ma.Granlund - Kontiola - Armia
Hartikainen - Kemppainen - Osala
+T.Sallinen, Haapala

I like those bottom centers if we can't get anymore from NHL, but since I think Filppula is coming I'll drop Konna to the "+" section.

I'd definitely put Markus Granlund in top-6 now. Jussi Jokinen can join one PP unit, probably Barkov's.

PP1:
Jokinen-Barkov-Aho
Laine-Ristolainen

Laine-Barkov-Aho
Rantanen-Filppula-MaG
Jokinen-Miro Aaltonen-Puljujärvi
Pyörälä-Kemppainen-Armia
+some of Kontiola, Osala, Hartikainen

I wouldn't mind experimenting Laine with some other center (if some surprise ones come from the NHL) as I got bad memories when they couldn't produce together in the World Cup. That was best on best though and in NA rink, but at least they know each other and Barkov has looked good lately so I'll keep them together in my preferred lines. Third link has to be Aho instead of Rantanen because Aho is more well rounded so more freedom to Laine in the offense. Markus Granlund could work there as well. If TT comes despite of his contract situation, then TT can stay with Aho.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
If Aho and Laine are in, it means this years skoda cup will be a very big thing.

IMO greater than the Gimmick Cup was.

Skoda > Gimmick

Lets go Finland

Aho Laine = money

Gold here we come!

-----------------------------------

Pulju/Kuusela - Aho - Laine
Pillu - Rantanen - Joensuu
Haapala - Pyörälä - Savinainen
Teräväinen - MaG - Armia

Possible NHL centers: Barkov, Lehterä. They'd go over Pyörälä and Mag I guess.

If JJ = in, keep him out of Patrik Laine's line. Very far from it.

Defense
Risto - Lindell
KHL guys + Juha Leimu

Goalies: BAP

Captains:
'C' Pillu
'A' Aho
'A' Savinainen

If C is some one else but Pillu, at least give it to some other guy who always tries his best and plays 100% effort. Honestly Aho is most captain material from the rest. If Pyörälä makes the cut, he could be basic Vet captain selection, but I don't want to see that happening.

I gues this year we will avoid Kontiola, finally (for those who remember the times and hf convo about NT few years back)

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
If Rantanen is on the roster, I'm going to be so pumped !! I've got 3 tickets one of which is Finland vs Norway.

Looks like Laine could also be in, it's going to be a treat for you guys. Maybe Rantanen and Laine play the same line. Hell if Laine and Rants are in, I'll consider cheap-flight to see a game there. But more likely just TV.

Are the tickets expensive?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Pulju/Kuusela - Aho - Laine
Pillu - Rantanen - Joensuu
Haapala - Pyörälä - Savinainen
Teräväinen - MaG - Armia
I kinda doubt Aho and Rantanen will be anything but wingers. Same with Pyörälä.

Heck, MaG - while best suited for the role out of those - is more likely to be a W than C as well, unless there's a serious shortage.

Also, any lineup that excludes Miro Aaltonen isn't to be taken seriously - unless we somehow get a full NHL one. The guy has six goals on this year's EHT. That means Marjamäki will have him stenciled on his lineup with pretty bold letters, unless he completely blows it during the camp.

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I kinda doubt Aho and Rantanen will be anything but wingers. Same with Pyörälä.

Heck, MaG - while best suited for the role out of those - is more likely to be a W than C as well, unless there's a serious shortage.

Also, any lineup that excludes Miro Aaltonen isn't to be taken seriously - unless we somehow get a full NHL one. The guy has six goals on this year's EHT. That means Marjamäki will have him stenciled on his lineup with pretty bold letters, unless he completely blows it during the camp.

Well Miro Aaltonen is in the camp for sure. I didin't like what I saw from the EHT squads when I watched it anyways.

If Pulju actually got selected, I see no problem aho centering him and laine again, just for try.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
If Pulju actually got selected, I see no problem aho centering him and laine again, just for try.
In the occasion all three are in, I agree. The temptation to see if the magic's still there would be a bit too great, I suppose.

In any other case, Aho will be a winger.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Jokinen - Lehterä - Filppula (veteran line)
Rantanen - Barkov - Armia
Laine - Aho - Puljujärvi
M.Aaltonen - Granlund - Teräväinen
Kontiola, Palola

Lindell - Ristolainen
Lepistö - Hietanen
Mäntylä - Jaakola
Ohtamaa - Kukkonen

Lehtonen
Koskinen
Niemi

No room for pillu.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Looks like Laine could also be in, it's going to be a treat for you guys. Maybe Rantanen and Laine play the same line. Hell if Laine and Rants are in, I'll consider cheap-flight to see a game there. But more likely just TV.

Are the tickets expensive?

The tickets are pretty darn cheap. I got the cheapest possible game tickets (so probably not the best seats) but I paid 16 euros for the Finland/Norway game, 16 euros for Canada/Slovenia and 24 euros for Canada/Switzerland.

Got them here: https://tickets.iihfworlds2017.com/

I'll probably end up splurging a little more and getting 2 more tickets to Finnish games (especially if Rantanen and Laine are on the roster). I'd love to see Aho too !

I haven't seen a hockey game in a stadium since December 2008 when I saw a Blues/Sharks season game. It's been a long time and May is going to be one hell of a special month for me ! :jump:

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
M.Aaltonen-Filppula-Aho
Jokinen - Lehterä - Haapala
Hartikainen-Granlund(VAN) -Teräväinen
Kontiola
Armia

Ristolainen-Hietanen
Lepistö- Lindell
Jaakola-Ohtamaa

Koskinen
Lehtonen

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Laine - Aho - Puljujärvi
Kontiola, Palola

Lindell - Ristolainen
Lepistö - Hietanen
Mäntylä - Jaakola
Ohtamaa - Kukkonen

Lehtonen
Koskinen
Niemi

No room for pillu.

This looks pretty sweet! :yo:

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Laine - Aho - Puljujärvi
Kontiola, Palola

Lindell - Ristolainen
Lepistö - Hietanen
Mäntylä - Jaakola
Ohtamaa - Kukkonen

Lehtonen
Koskinen
Niemi

No room for pillu.
Looks good enough. First line isn't much of a scoring line but can match other team's top lines and do defensive duties.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Pillu is pillu guys. All coaches wants that. Roster without him posted is probably or could be better than with pillu, but im ready to bet 100vcash that pillu is in unless he declines. Hes regullar jyrä and a lock

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'd still let Aho shine on the wing, even if we get all 3 - Laine, Aho & Pulju, however if things start go wrong, bad games and so on I'd try Aho as center but I got my concerns on his faceoffs since he hasn't taken them much during the season, but we all know what happens any time you think Aho can't do something...

Cueb

Dec 31, 2015
Teräväinen - Barkov - Rantanen
Laine - Filppula - Aho
Granlund - Kontiola - Armia
Philström - Aaltonen - Hartikainen

schmiedi

Dec 31, 2014
I Hope they let Space for Players Who will be eliminated in the first po round.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
*If Jets won't make the play-offs.
The Jets are ten points behind the line with 12 games to go. It's pretty safe to say their season is over. The real "maybe, maybe not" scenarios are Florida (Barkov, Jokinen) and Philadelphia (Filppula), with six and seven points behind, respectively.

Also, what makes you think Laine won't show up? And why would Komarov, if he's said he's done? Not to mention Toronto is still very much in the race. Did you even check the situation before posting that?

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
The lineup seems pretty straight forward considering the NHL standings stay as they are.

Laine-Barkov-Aho - This one is locked first line. I wonder why most posters haven't had this in their lineup
Jokinen-Filppula-MA Granlund
Rantanen-Teräväinen-Armia
Pyörälä-Kemppainen-Savinainen
+Koskiranta/Haapala/Aaltonen/Sallinen/Hartikainen/Pillu

Lindell-Risto
Lepistö-Hietanen
Ohtamaa-Honka
+Pokka/Salmela/Jaakola/Kukkonen/Kivistö

Koskinen
Lehtonen/Niemi
Rämö/Ortio/Säteri/Metsola

Status