WC: 2017 Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
File, any idea if Pulju will make it?

If Bakersfield doesn't make the playoffs do you think the Oilers will keep him as a call up?
While Pulju's chances are not zero, they're somewhat slimmer than I think some people here figure.

As long as the Oilers are in the race, it's fairly safe to assume they'll keep him around as a black ace. He's not that far down in their depth chart.

In fact, he might be far further down on the depth chart of Team Finland hopefuls. I can fairly certainly say that with his current pedigree, he's not a player who's a shoo-in. He would either need to show his mettle on the camp, or many of our more desirable options for wings need to decline.

The reality is this: Rantanen, Laine, Aho, Jokinen and Armia are the ones from overseas we can assume say "yes", barring injuries. Then we have personnel in Europe who will overtake Pulju, at the very least Mi.Aaltonen (who could also go into the centre column), Haapala and Savinainen. And there are always some standouts on camp who will impress the coach. So that puts Pulju roughly at #10-11th seed of prospective top-9 wingers (with there only being room for six or seven, naturally). So at least four names from ahead of him need to be no-shows.

If most of our NHL likelies actually do show up, the rest of the ranks will be filled from whoever's on the camp (or the Liiga finals). In that case, there will be zero need for our management to look in Pulju's way. Unless he, by some miracle, is on the camp roster already.

TL;DR: It's gonna take some favorable alignment of celestial bodies for Pulju to be on this team. Either his club team releases him ahead of time, or there's been plenty of declinations among the more desirable options. His availability before the games begin simply won't be enough. Well, he does have *one* saving grace, namely, previous familiarity with Marjamäki. That could smoothen his rocky road a bit, but I doubt that still will be enough if the ideal or close-to-ideal scenario becomes a reality.

Last edited:

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
I think Valtteri Filppula would be excellent guy to center Laine. Both has very high vision and Filppula gives amazing passes and he has very soft hands. They could have some crazy chemistry, because both guys vision is so damn high.

schmiedi

Dec 31, 2014
Rinne or Saros

Hope Nashville lose in the first Play-off round. Hope to geht Rinne or Saros

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
How about Haapala-Barkov-Laine -line? Haapala played with both and has been on fire this year, he would bring speed and energy while not being a complete black hole offensively.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I see you guys will be quite a team again.

Barkov, Laine, J.Jokinen, Rantanen, Teravainen, Aho, Markus Granlund, Filppula, maybe Lehtera, Komarov, and Puljujarvi....if you get all of them, that will be something to watch. At least half of them will be on the team imo.

McStimperi

Apr 6, 2012
Finland

Barkov, Laine, J.Jokinen, Rantanen, Teravainen, Aho, Markus Granlund, Filppula, maybe Lehtera, Komarov, and Puljujarvi....if you get all of them, that will be something to watch. At least half of them will be on the team imo.

Ma. Granlund and Komarov are confirmed out. But yeah, a lot of good options still!

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
While Pulju's chances are not zero, they're somewhat slimmer than I think some people here figure.

As long as the Oilers are in the race, it's fairly safe to assume they'll keep him around as a black ace. He's not that far down in their depth chart.

In fact, he might be far further down on the depth chart of Team Finland hopefuls. I can fairly certainly say that with his current pedigree, he's not a player who's a shoo-in. He would either need to show his mettle on the camp, or many of our more desirable options for wings need to decline.

The reality is this: Rantanen, Laine, Aho, Jokinen and Armia are the ones from overseas we can assume say "yes", barring injuries. Then we have personnel in Europe who will overtake Pulju, at the very least Mi.Aaltonen (who could also go into the centre column), Haapala and Savinainen. And there are always some standouts on camp who will impress the coach. So that puts Pulju roughly at #10-11th seed of prospective top-9 wingers (with there only being room for six or seven, naturally). So at least four names from ahead of him need to be no-shows.

If most of our NHL likelies actually do show up, the rest of the ranks will be filled from whoever's on the camp (or the Liiga finals). In that case, there will be zero need for our management to look in Pulju's way. Unless he, by some miracle, is on the camp roster already.

TL;DR: It's gonna take some favorable alignment of celestial bodies for Pulju to be on this team. Either his club team releases him ahead of time, or there's been plenty of declinations among the more desirable options. His availability before the games begin simply won't be enough. Well, he does have *one* saving grace, namely, previous familiarity with Marjamäki. That could smoothen his rocky road a bit, but I doubt that still will be enough if the ideal or close-to-ideal scenario becomes a reality.

True. I can completely understand that. Who knows though, hard to tell with Edmonton. Maybe they will go far, maybe out after the first round. Personally, I don't know much, I lost interest once they started beating Pulju around the bush.

I would love to see him on this skoda cup squad but as you say, it's very unlikely considering the circumstances.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London

I think CAN, FIN, RUS are top teams again this year.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
How about Haapala-Barkov-Laine -line? Haapala played with both and has been on fire this year, he would bring speed and energy while not being a complete black hole offensively.

If Haapala have room to top line, then that would be solid line to test, but in this moment idont see room for him on these lines.

Laine-Barkov-Aho
Mi.Aaltonen/Rantanen-Filppula-Rantanen/Armia
Jokinen-Kontiola-Armia/Mi. Aaltonen
Pyörälä-Koskiranta-Hartikainen
Joensuu, Savinainen/Kemppainen/Haapala/Palola/Osala

Ohtamaa-Ristolainen
Lepistö-Hietanen
Kukkonen-Honka
Salmela-Virtanen
(Jaakola, Kivistö, Jalasvaara, Koivisto)

Lehtonen
Koskinen
Ortio

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
I already asked the question once but in a wrong manner, who is actually the coach of the finnish NT?

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
If Haapala have room to top line, then that would be solid line to test, but in this moment idont see room for him on these lines.

Laine-Barkov-Aho
Mi.Aaltonen/Rantanen-Filppula-Rantanen/Armia
Jokinen-Kontiola-Armia/Mi. Aaltonen
Pyörälä-Koskiranta-Hartikainen
Joensuu, Savinainen/Kemppainen/Haapala/Palola/Osala

Ohtamaa-Ristolainen
Lepistö-Hietanen
Kukkonen-Honka
Salmela-Virtanen
(Jaakola, Kivistö, Jalasvaara, Koivisto)

Lehtonen
Koskinen
Ortio

Yeah, I'm just not too optimistic that everyone that can come will come. Like every there are these speculations especially with the NHL players who might join in and every year there are cancellations for various reasons like contract talks, injuries, personal reasons etc. For example I could easily see Jokinen and Filppula skipping the whole thing. So while I see it as a good chance that Aho, Barkov and Laine are all with the team, the best thing could be to spread the offence and Aho's playmaking abilities could be put to use elsewhere while Haapala could do very well with former teammates.

But we shall see who actually comes.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Yeah, I'm just not too optimistic that everyone that can come will come. Like every there are these speculations especially with the NHL players who might join in and every year there are cancellations for various reasons like contract talks, injuries, personal reasons etc. For example I could easily see Jokinen and Filppula skipping the whole thing. So while I see it as a good chance that Aho, Barkov and Laine are all with the team, the best thing could be to spread the offence and Aho's playmaking abilities could be put to use elsewhere while Haapala could do very well with former teammates.

Agreed. Me thinks Filppula and Jokinen decline.

But maybe their wives want to go shopping in Paris as somebody joked about :popcorn:

I'm looking forward to seeing what M. Aaltonen can do. And don't forget about Rantanen!

sooni

Oct 23, 2014
Vaasa
Finnish team looks like this:

Granlund-Koivu-Rantanen I´m pretty sure Minnesota drops at first round...
Laine-Barkov-Aho
Mi.Aaltonen-Koskiranta-Armia
Pyörälä-Haula-Hartikainen
(Osala,Palola,Lehkonen?) Cant see Montreal beat Rangers.

Ristolainen-Honka
Lepistö - Hietanen
Salmela-Ohtamaa
Kukkonen-Jaakola

Rask (Sorry Boston vs. Capitals...) 30% Change that he comes.
Lehtonen
Koskinen

Teräväinen, Lindell out of contracts. Filppula, Jokinen (not gonna happen) Koivu & Granlund needs to win something. They have been great both whole year. It is sad that Dubnyk plays like ****.

Lataba76

Sep 6, 2015
Finnish team looks like this:

Granlund-Koivu-Rantanen I´m pretty sure Minnesota drops at first round...
Laine-Barkov-Aho
Mi.Aaltonen-Koskiranta-Armia
Pyörälä-Haula-Hartikainen
(Osala,Palola,Lehkonen?) Cant see Montreal beat Rangers.

Ristolainen-Honka
Lepistö - Hietanen
Salmela-Ohtamaa
Kukkonen-Jaakola

Rask (Sorry Boston vs. Capitals...) 30% Change that he comes.
Lehtonen
Koskinen

Teräväinen, Lindell out of contracts. Filppula, Jokinen (not gonna happen) Koivu & Granlund needs to win something. They have been great both whole year. It is sad that Dubnyk plays like ****.

This Team is stronger than last WC!

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016

Agreed. Me thinks Filppula and Jokinen decline.

But maybe their wives want to go shopping in Paris as somebody joked about :popcorn:

I'm looking forward to seeing what M. Aaltonen can do. And don't forget about Rantanen!

Actually I agree with you on that think, what comes to Filppula and Jokinen, but I just but about best thinkable roster available.

Before MaG injured, i put also(with two other options) this option to Jatkoaika, thought I should have addded Joensuu and Osala to the list on that case, cause its very optimistic think that if Nashville drops out on the first round that Salomäki will come, i think not:
Aho-Barkov-Laine
Rantanen-MiAaltonen-Armia/Palola
MaGranlund-Kontiola-Savinainen/Armia
Pyörälä-Koskiranta-Salomäki
Haapala, Savinainen/Palola/Kemppainen

BTW. Barkov is injured again, very bad if he cant come. Then our options to two first line centers will be Filppula(if come), Aaltonen, Kontiola, Rantanen and maybe Aho, aand Jokinen(if come)... If St. Louis Blues will drop there is Lehterä, but he have been bad season and he is injured also recently. That would be almost nightmare to Lions if Minny dont drop on first round and Filppula and Jokinen will not come.

Edit:
Also on tuesday i put this from list players who can play as a center to Jatkoaika, order is about them overall space(not accuratel):

Barkov: recently injured, if healthy he will come(of course on tuesday i wrote that he will be on team)
Koivu: team is on the playoffs, maybe not available
MiGranlund L: team is on the playoffs, maybe not available. Contractless.
Filppula (L): Available, but how about motivation?
Aho L: on the team
Komarov L: Will not come
Rantanen L: on the team
Teräväinen L: contractless
Haula (L): team is on the playoffs, maybe not available. Contractless.
MaGranlund L: Injured, not available
Jokinen L: Available, but how about motivation?
Lehterä (L): recently injured, team is on the playoffs, maybe not available.
Kontiola: available (havent been on EHT)
Hartikainen L: have been injured, if healthy on the team
Aaltonen (L): available
Koskiranta: available
Kemppainen: available

L:Firstly winger who can play on the center
(L):Firstly center, who can play on the wing
without any mark: pure center
This season highly affected to the list and which position they have played on the national team (example Aaltonen and Hartikainen have both played this season also as a center on the their teams, but Marjamäki have only sitted Aaltonen on the center position).

Note: Korpikoski have been played center years ago,thought there is plenty of time when Komarov have been center last time, but Komarov is much better player than Korpikoski, thats why Komarov is on the list and Korpikoski not.

Last edited:

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
If Barkov can't come I would try Laine/Aho/Puljujärvi. Filppula has to come or Finland is screwed if Minnesota doesn't drop in the first round.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
If we're to believe some HNA reports, Sasha may have some kind of chronic back issue that flares intermittently. That means whenever he's out, he's DTD, but the club may want him taking proper time and fixing it for good once the season's a wrap.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
If we're to believe some HNA reports, Sasha may have some kind of chronic back issue that flares intermittently. That means whenever he's out, he's DTD, but the club may want him taking proper time and fixing it for good once the season's a wrap.

Too bad :(

Let's see what happens and hope for the best.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
If Barkov can't come I would try Laine/Aho/Puljujärvi. Filppula has to come or Finland is screwed if Minnesota doesn't drop in the first round.

I don't think that Oilers will release Pulju now that they are going to the playoffs. With Barkov possibly out of the picture the center is looking pretty weak. This team really needs Filppula to come.

Also, I'm feeling like even if Minnesota drops out fast, Koivu and Granlund could skip the tournament. I can't imagine what it would be like to get eliminated in the first round after the season the Wild have been having which is why I just can't see Koivu and Granlund joining WC team. Haula perhaps could, he has yet to win a lot of stuff.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Also, I'm feeling like even if Minnesota drops out fast, Koivu and Granlund could skip the tournament. I can't imagine what it would be like to get eliminated in the first round after the season the Wild have been having which is why I just can't see Koivu and Granlund joining WC team. Haula perhaps could, he has yet to win a lot of stuff.
You don't really have to guess about MiG, at least. He has contract negotiations awaiting him, and he's coming out of the best season of his career. Will skip the WHC with 100% certainty in the case Minny bows out early.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
1. Aho-Filppula-Rantanen
2. MiAaltonen-Koskiranta-Teräväinen
3. Hartikainen-Hintz-Armia
4. Pyörälä-Kemppainen-Pihlström

1. Lindell-Ristolainen
2. Salmela-Järvinen
3. Jaakola-Kukkonen

1. Koskinen
2. ????

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
^Lindell's already indicated he's a no-show.

It's Honka who's said he'd like to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad