WC: 2017 Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
The lineup seems pretty straight forward considering the NHL standings stay as they are.

Laine-Barkov-Aho - This one is locked first line. I wonder why most posters haven't had this in their lineup
Jokinen-Filppula-MA Granlund
Rantanen-Teräväinen-Armia
Pyörälä-Kemppainen-Savinainen
+Koskiranta/Haapala/Aaltonen/Sallinen/Hartikainen/Pillu

Lindell-Risto
Lepistö-Hietanen
Ohtamaa-Honka
+Pokka/Salmela/Jaakola/Kukkonen/Kivistö

Koskinen
Lehtonen/Niemi
Rämö/Ortio/Säteri/Metsola

I have a pretty good feeling that Filppula will decline, and perhaps, although less likely, Jokinen too.

As previously mentioned, Teräväinen needs to get his next contract set up. He might not make it. Also, I would like to see Pulju make it over.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
The lineup seems pretty straight forward considering the NHL standings stay as they are.

Laine-Barkov-Aho - This one is locked first line. I wonder why most posters haven't had this in their lineup

Lindell-Risto
Lepistö-Hietanen
Ohtamaa-Honka

Koskinen
Lehtonen/Niemi

I think your lineup is solid. You kept Jokinen out of Barkov - Laine line, which is good. THe World Cup did show Jokinen won't work with Laine. Also in Florida, Barkov - Jokinen actually are not that complementing duo, Barkov has been dragging Jokinen with the fact that Barkov is an excellent player when they played together. Jokinen is a good player, but it has been shown it doesn't work and he perhaps even slows down our two best players, Laine and Barkov.

Jokinen's place must be somewhere else. Put JJ in a line, where he actually deserves to be the "-go trough and -go to" -guy. Pat and Barkov shall be let to dominate with the puck, if they make up a line. Third link in that line can be some cargo train, net front presence, defensive type guy or a pass first playmaker.

I think we should hope for Pulju in the lineup, though. Putting Pula-Aho together would be awesome and it really can work the magic on this level, no doubt.

If Pulju is out, Laine-Barkov-Aho is sexy as hell, too.

Last edited:

Newforce

Jun 4, 2016
Finland

Lindell-Risto
Lepistö-Hietanen
Ohtamaa-Honka

Koskinen
Lehtonen/Niemi

Seems like Lindell and Teräväinen are out due to contract situations.

http://yle.fi/urheilu/3-9515617

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
You guys think one of or both Haapala/Aaltonen will make it?
Assuming you mean Miro and not JMA, he's probably the first European skater to make this team. Has been simply too stellar on EHT to ignore. Unless there's a huge influx of NHLers to fill the top-9, his chances are better than good.

With Haapala, I guess it somewhat depends on how badly they're going to be in need of designated scorers. If all of those who are projected to come from overseas actually do show up, he'll be an extra forward at best.

Of course, you rarely, if ever, get everyone who looks like he could show up. (Incidentally, last year was such an anomaly, so it's interesting to see, in comparison, how lucky we'll be now.)

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Assuming you mean Miro and not JMA, he's probably the first European skater to make this team. Has been simply too stellar on EHT to ignore. Unless there's a huge influx of NHLers to fill the top-9, his chances are better than good.

With Haapala, I guess it somewhat depends on how badly they're going to be in need of designated scorers. If all of those who are projected to come from overseas actually do show up, he'll be an extra forward at best.

Of course, you rarely, if ever, get everyone who looks like he could show up. (Incidentally, last year was such an anomaly, so it's interesting to see, in comparison, how lucky we'll be now.)

Thanks File. Yep, I meant Miro.

I'm interested to see how this guy will do. I didn't watch the EHT games, and haven't watched any KHL games but his stats look pretty good.

That being said, personally I'm more interested in Miro than in Haapala.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Both Aaltonen and Haapala should make the team. They are probably the best Finns playing in Europe and probably better than some in the NHL.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Could be that Jokinen comes to captain this team but not gonna hold it against him if he declines as he comes so often.

Filppula is the exact opposite as he hasn't really been in WHC, if he declines it's due to the World Cup. Two tournaments in one season might be too much for him. I still feel like he might be coming.

Oh and someone said TT isn't coming to WHC but he had said in interview that he wants to come despite of contract ending, but what was also said was that his agent might change his mind on that matter. So it's still up in the air whether he comes or not. Maybe Aho probably joining is an extra motivator for him as they can stay in same line again.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
MaG due for immediate wrist surgery, meaning his season is a wrap, won't be available.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Both Aaltonen and Haapala should make the team. They are probably the best Finns playing in Europe and probably better than some in the NHL.

As a Tappara fan I have to say that Savinainen is better overall player than Haapala. As a playmaker and especially as powerplay playmaker Haapala is just too good for Liiga but will he get that spot in WHC?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
We should not look at age. Tomi Kallio is playing some good hockey and could be a good option for the 4th line.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Some good news for defense: Honka says he wants to go, despite being contractless.

http://yle.fi/urheilu/3-9521136

Best case scenario as of right now:

Lehtonen
Koskinen
Läski-Salonen

Ristolainen
Lepistö
Hietanen
Honka
Kivistö
Kukkonen
Ohtamaa
Some Warm Body

Laine - Barkov - Rantanen
Jokinen - Filppula - Aho
Mi.Aaltonen - Kontiola - Armia
Savinainen - Kemppainen - Osala
+T.Sallinen, Haapala

Last edited:

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Some good news for defense: Honka says he wants to go, despite being contractless.

http://yle.fi/urheilu/3-9521136

Best case scenario as of right now:

Lehtonen
Koskinen
Läski-Salonen

Ristolainen
Lepistö
Hietanen
Honka
Kivistö
Kukkonen
Ohtamaa
Some Warm Body

Laine - Barkov - Rantanen
Jokinen - Filppula - Aho
Mi.Aaltonen - Kontiola - Armia
Savinainen - Kemppainen - Osala
+T.Sallinen, Haapala

I'm really hoping Honka can make it. We need this kid on the PP.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Granlund - Barkov - Rantanen everybody's tearing it up in the nhl on these player positions. All known for their playmaking but have scored 61 goals combined this season in the nhl. 1a/1b line
Laine - Aho - Puljujärvi 1a/1b offensive line, wonder trio's second coming
Jokinen - Koivu - Filppula "2nd line" takes most of the defensive pressure for the team and plays as much as the top lines.
Armia - Lehterä - Teräväinen/Pulkkinen
Kinda utopistic line ups and would only happen if all these players get banned from the NHL.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
With the way minni is playing right now perhaps they will drop after the first round.
Personally, I hope they can go far! :handclap:

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I'm excited about the lineup Finland could have but then I remember who is the coach and my hopes come down quickly.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I have a gut feeling that we are going to get disapointed if we expect lot of NHLers to come. Contract issues, minor injuries (and other excuses :) ). Times that guys like Ruuttu and Numminen came to WHC´s with the first plane when their team was relegated has gone.

I think M. Aaltonen, Haapala and Savinainen has earned their spots in team. Then there are the always solid options of Pyörälä and Pihlström.

To defence. I guess I´m boring, but Lepistö, Hietanen, Kukkonen (If he is interested), Ohtamaa (I think he improves every year). Honka would be interesting to see, but he needs to earn it in camp. I know that people will hate this, but it would be nice to see Mäntylä get a chance :) (If he isn´t "retired" from NT). Elorinne and Mikkola are the most intriguing new possibilities.

From goalies Lehtonen and Niemi doesn´t excite me. They have been in difficult spot in Dallas, but in all honesty both of them have few down years already. I don´t believe that they would be big upgrade to our European core. Metsola haven´t been that good in NT lately, but I really do like him. Not a huge fan of Koskinen, but he proved to be decent option last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad