WC: 2017 Team Denmark

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Problem is, there isnt that many Danish coaches that would qualify for those criterias.

Heinz Ehlers maybe?

I would like to try something completely new. I remember when Kulagin and later Bragin came to Rødovre in the 70's and 80's. What we benefitted from him was everything not just on the ice, but also talent build and within the organisation.

Do any of you think Denmark could lure a Russian top coach to come? Maybe get Bragin back from his U20 job in Russia?

I would love a Russian coach, but thought that was completely out of the question, thats why I didnt mention it.

But yeah, Ehlers or Eller would IMO not hurt to try.

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
I would love a Russian coach, but thought that was completely out of the question, thats why I didnt mention it.

But yeah, Ehlers or Eller would IMO not hurt to try.

I dont think any dane, in any sport, would do well with a Russian coach. The culture is just too different.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
I dont think any dane, in any sport, would do well with a Russian coach. The culture is just too different.

Rødovre did quite well with Kulagin and Bragin. As others have noted, it is unlikely that any Russian would choose to coach in Denmark for relative peanuts. Only if Bragin somehow became persona non grata in Russia could I see this happen.

But, I am more than ready for the national team to try something different than the Swedish approach. The problem as I see it is that our team will never be good enough and dominate games to the point where they can copy the Swedish puck possession style. A more simple style is needed.

It also seems to me like the humble approach we used to have is somewhat missing. Although it was there for the game vs Russia.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
It also seems to me like the humble approach we used to have is somewhat missing. Although it was there for the game vs Russia.

I can understand why the humble approach vanishes a little more every year. The distance between top 7 and top 20 has minimized drastically the last 5-10 years. Sometimes it costs a big defeat like the one against USA, but I think we should stop playing the underdog card all the time. Sure, we will still be the underdog in most games, but the only way we are going to continue to grow on elite level is by developing more ways to approach each game and take a stand against nations where we normally would play turtle hockey.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
For next season we should hire a NHL coach like Hartley etc.. I bet almost all of out NHL players will join our team if their NHL team won't make in to playoffs.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
For next season we should hire a NHL coach like Hartley etc.. I bet almost all of out NHL players will join our team if their NHL team won't make in to playoffs.

Why!?!? i just dont get the idea of hiring a NHL who isnt used to european hockey or big ice...why would a nhl take the job? we aint going to pay him anywhere near what he could get in a lot of other places.

Just because somethibg is from the nhl doesnt mean that it will magicly turn to gold

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Why!?!? i just dont get the idea of hiring a NHL who isnt used to european hockey or big ice...why would a nhl take the job? we aint going to pay him anywhere near what he could get in a lot of other places.

Just because somethibg is from the nhl doesnt mean that it will magicly turn to gold

NHL coach for NHL players. Our current coach couldn't handle NHL players. And I meant that we could just hire him only for that tournament.

And I know that my proposal is a long shot. We will hire some swedish guy or so...

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen

I think you underestimate how much work there is as coach for a national team. You cant hire a guy only for a tournament and then expect him to know everything about the team. It doesnt work like that. Furthermore, what would be the point? We need steady progress over the years, not some forced and rapid succes just because we are the hosts. That could end up hurting more than it benefits.

Besides that, the DIU's budget is very limited and any NHL would be unpayable.

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
Do we really not have better goalies or any talents on the rise?

We got Freddy which is a clear #1.
Then we got Damn that is gonna play in DEL next season.

But then our 3rd and 4th goalie plays in the 2nd best swedish league and in the danish league? Do we have any young guys that is gonna be good?

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen

But then our 3rd and 4th goalie plays in the 2nd best swedish league and in the danish league? Do we have any young guys that is gonna be good?

Pretty much all Danish goalies in superisligaen is below 20....

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I hope that we will see different team next year... And QF.

I suspect that most of the players that declined this year did it because of next year. I hope that all that are available would be thrilled to play for a homecrowd. If not, then they should not play for the NT ever again.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
After two bad games against Latvia and USA, I think we turned it around and overall impression is ok in my opinion. Would have been nice to beat Latvia and played Canada in the QF again, but we can do that next year :)

WE need to work on our powerplay though. It has been horrible the whole tournament.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
I suspect that most of the players that declined this year did it because of next year. I hope that all that are available would be thrilled to play for a homecrowd. If not, then they should not play for the NT ever again.

This is key. It makes sense that the participation of NHL players was lower this season due to relegation not being an issue. And it should be much higher next year on home ice. I also don't want to point fingers at any specific players who declined this year, as I know at least some of the players had injury riddled seasons in 16-17.

But I think I can see a tendency over the past few years where our NHL players decline taking part in the World Champs at a higher rate than pretty much all other countries. The Danish Hockey Association really needs to crack this nut if we are going to rise in the standings in the coming years. I'm sure money is tight in the DIU, so it is not going to be easy.

And big up to Ehlers for taking part this season. Without him, the Danish team would have been really bleak. Please make it a habit to take part in the World Championship whenever possible for many years to come. :)

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
I can accept the denials this year if we can count on everybody coming next year...also if they go out of the playoffs a few games in.

how many changes are you allowed to make in tournament? more than one? we should keep a few spots open.
I understand that the plsyers cant commit publicy if they still are in the playoffs but i expect private assurances

[/U]

Think we probably have more talent coming up on that position than ever before.
And sørensen is pretty damned good. We had amazing goaltending for the last 3 world juniors. Lillie is a big talent also...

Think it was Bagge who said during the russia or sweden game that if Sørensen was a few inches taller, we would have 2 nhl goalies and i think i agree...

Hopefully he will continue his development. But i dont mind putting him in a game...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad