WC: 2017 Team Czech Republic

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
NHLers should have been better. Period. Plekanec, Pastrnak and Voracek combined for whooping 2 goals... pathetic.

Best possible? Unless you mean from what was available.

They should be better. Althought it screams from TV and from everywhere around this team that at least Jandac is very uncertain in behaviour towards them. These guys have to feel that there is coach who is better or at least as good as Philly coach, Tampa coach or whoever. Its not enough when you have same knowledge or even better than them, you have to be such a personality like they are. Like Bukac, Hlinka, Wohl were. I dont believe this happens here. They look they know "coaches are trying but they have to do it somehow by themselfes". Even Znarok looks like he has much more in that terms than our coaches.

I mean in one word, we need Authority there. And there is no such a person imo.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I haven't seen big parts of the game (no big deal though due to their bad game play), but judging from the stats it looks very much like déjà-vu. All Czech national teams have serious systemic problems (lack of scoring is just one of them). Plekanec was absolutely harmless and completely invisible throughout the tournament. Pastrnak had some actions here and then but couldn't transfer his game from NHL to Paris (compare his game to Nylander f.x. - what a difference!), even though he was playing with Voracek and Kovar...This tournament has been one big disappointment!

There for sure are more problems than just goal scoring, but games are won and lost with goals. If you can't score, you lose, simple. While skating is getting better at the junior level, I see no improvments at the scoring ability.
This years U20 and U18, both played really well at some points, but being unable to capitalize on their chances cost them any medal chances. U17? Probably even worse, scoring like 2 goals on 35 shots is an everyday problem for them. So I don't think it will get magically better anytime soon, unfortunately.

You probably consider our best team playing to its full potential. Here I have to disagree with you. What we saw was not a ceiling of this team imo. No one convince me that this was the best we are capable of, not when they changed lines every day, not when 30 goals guys dont score etc. This team looked more and more sleepy as the tourney continued. They didnt put them into the shape. The game where Francouz and Hanzl were our best players should be our peak? Give me a break. There was something wrong....

I like Hanzl and Francouz a lot, but I agree. When players like these two lead the way you know someone is underachieving.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
There for sure are more problems than just goal scoring, but games are won and lost with goals. If you can't score, you lose, simple. While skating is getting better at the junior level, I see no improvments at the scoring ability.
This years U20 and U18, both played really well at some points, but being unable to capitalize on their chances cost them any medal chances. U17? Probably even worse, scoring like 2 goals on 35 shots is an everyday problem for them. So I don't think it will get magically better anytime soon, unfortunately.

I like Hanzl and Francouz a lot, but I agree. When players like these two lead the way you know someone is underachieving.

I agree about the scoring problems, but we've never been a country that has produced a lot of great goal-scorers. Most of our great players were more the playmaking type (e.g. the pass first mentality). Having said that, even those playmaking types who could score seem to be a dying breed.

I wouldn't be too hard on Pastrnak. Yeah, he didn't play as well as perhaps we expected him to. But he is still only 20 years old and will be a key player for us in the future.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I agree about the scoring problems, but we've never been a country that has produced a lot of great goal-scorers. Most of our great players were more the playmaking type (e.g. the pass first mentality). Having said that, even those playmaking types who could score seem to be a dying breed.

I wouldn't be too hard on Pastrnak. Yeah, he didn't play as well as perhaps we expected him to. But he is still only 20 years old and will be a key player for us in the future.

True, but even playmakers should have a semi-decent shot. One thing I would be very interested to see is a number of successful one timers. The only player who was going for them all the time was Pastrnak, who unfortunately couldn't get it going.
Speaking of Pastrnak, I agree with you. I am dissapointed with his goal scoring in the tournament, but as you said, he is so young, doesn't deserve to get all the hate. In fact, one thing to remember, Plekanec, Voracek or Pastrnak - all came when asked. Sure, they might have not delivered as much as fans would have liked to see (including me) but we still should be thankful they came and tried to help, instead of going on vacation while using some injury or contract as excuse. (For instance, what were the reasons to not come for Palat, Faksa or Sustr? I don't recall them being injured? And then that Zacha case...)

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
True, but even playmakers should have a semi-decent shot. One thing I would be very interested to see is a number of successful one timers. The only player who was going for them all the time was Pastrnak, who unfortunately couldn't get it going.
Speaking of Pastrnak, I agree with you. I am dissapointed with his goal scoring in the tournament, but as you said, he is so young, doesn't deserve to get all the hate. In fact, one thing to remember, Plekanec, Voracek or Pastrnak - all came when asked. Sure, they might have not delivered as much as fans would have liked to see (including me) but we still should be thankful they came and tried to help, instead of going on vacation while using some injury or contract as excuse. (For instance, what were the reasons to not come for Palat, Faksa or Sustr? I don't recall them being injured? And then that Zacha case...)

Reasons are probably that they dont have such a strong relation to national team as others have (I am not surprised though). But is this really issue? I would rather know reasons why coaches werent able to tune these NHLers and team to top shape. There were lot of guys disappearing in later stage, like Zohorna imo. Second PP relying on Rutta... Dont we have somebody more experienced? I mean it looks cool, but it can also serve as some alibistic excuse (what a story it would be if we succeed, if not look how brave we were with shaking lineups, so brave that Plekanec was still in line up). Kalous Jandac even didnt look disappointed. They generally look they are not much emotionally involved in it. I hope there will be serious analysis of their influence on team. Saying we dont have scorers despite we dont even create top chances is not enough for me. Bench was dead, and this is still problem no matter how many video coaches, scouts, tablets, analysis you have imo.

I dont want to end up like slovaks who are waiting for Tatar every year. Coaching staff did a lot of good things and set up standart that should be followed every year. But that does not avoid them for being responsible for coaching and preparing team and general atmosphere in that team. Sure everybody say there was good atmosphere, but maybe too much good czech atmosphere.

They didnt follow expectations and it would be good to know why. When you are not able to built first two lines for entire tourney, then you can hardly make any results.

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
So what you guys think about Bukac's opinions in this interview?

http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/hokej...-identitu-kouc-se-u-narodaku-nemuze-ucit.html

I wanted to post this as well as I saw it today. I don't necessarily share everything he said in this interview, but I think he is somehow spot on when he says that Czech hockey lost its identity, and hopefully not other sports as well.

I cannot tell you how puzzled I am by this laissez-faire attitude. It is a mystery to me how people in key sports-positions who are clearly underperforming, are obviously not suitable for the job (not a bit but way out of place) and on top of it absolutely in denial, somehow manage to stay or find their way back (when fired) into those key positions.

And I'm not even talking about making mistakes, everyone deserves a second chance, that is absolutely fine with me (learning out of mistakes should be encouraged and rewarded). I'm talking about consistent wrongdoing, lack of qualification.

It is so important that those key positions in sport, where you determine the future of thousands of kids, are filled with competence and vision - Bukac is right!

I'm absolutely convinced that have great potential in CZ what concerns coaching personnel. And I'm not blaming anyone specifically for the systemic problems we are facing. But it shouldn't be allowed for people that obviously fail to perform in key positions, to leave and return shortly after to find their way back into a different key position of the same structure. Not even mentioning other investigations into corruption in f.x. football...it just really gets me thinking...:shakehead

Last edited:

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I wanted to post this as well as I saw it today. I don't necessarily share everything he said in this interview, but I think he is somehow spot on when he says that Czech hockey lost its identity, and hopefully not other sports as well.

I cannot tell you how puzzled I am by this laissez-faire attitude. It is a mystery to me how people in key sports-positions who are clearly underperforming, are obviously not suitable for the job (not a bit but way out of place) and on top of it absolutely in denial, somehow manage to stay or find their way back (when fired) into those key positions.

And I'm not even talking about making mistakes, everyone deserves a second chance, that is absolutely fine with me (learning out of mistakes should be encouraged and rewarded). I'm talking about consistent wrongdoing, lack of qualification.

It is so important that those key positions in sport, where you determine the future of thousands of kids, are filled with competence and vision - Bukac is right!

I'm absolutely convinced that have great potential in CZ what concerns coaching personnel. And I'm not blaming anyone specifically for the systemic problems we are facing. But it shouldn't be allowed for people that obviously fail to perform in key positions, to leave and return shortly after to find their way back into a different key position of the same structure. Not even mentioning other investigations into corruption in f.x. football...it just really gets me thinking...:shakehead

That lack of individualities is obvious. People demand more control and supervision over Leners work. But here again I doubt there is anybody competent to take this position in case they fire him.

Worst thing is when you dont bring individualites and you are simultanously surounded by average followers. Thus your communication sklils decline and you are not able to communicate or to handle it with other big persons.

He is very right in this specific case. We dont do things to gain respect and be respectful. Therefore also czech NHLers get used to statements and attitude which they normally didnt say (maybe subconciously) or didnt have. Even coaches/managers got used to that standard amount of criticism after fail is something that basically does not have to be accepted that much. All by all players and managers dont behave as the class that wants to be top level hockey.

Difference between his generation and present generation of our managers/coaches is that, despite not winning everytime either, they believed they brought some top element to int. hockey and they believed they were on same level as Canada and USSR in this term. That made some serious basis for them to be selfconfident.

This generation lacks individualities, make wrong opportunistic/politics decision and does not even have target /ie. where they want to be/. Its hard to be enough self confident and selfassured when you come as a coach from czech league with all that negative aspects it provides. I am not around hockey, I just played football, so I dont see inside. But for example Gudas called Jandac "Pepino". Its maybe tiny unimportant detail, but was Bukac really "Luda" or has Babcock nickname in lockerroom?

We are bit in bad circle here. For example people criticizing Prospal and Spacek. I would like to know how these two specifically deal with it. They might thought they took it as help to czech hockey and in regards to friendship to Jandac so they might feel bitter about this. On the other this is the most exposed position in czech sport. Should it be discussed and criticised? Hell yes. If not it would show lack on interest in this game. But they probably accept it only when czech outh hockey program will be same or better than Prospals in Florida. And we are back to respect and individuals....

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
People are overreacting to this tournament's outcome imo. We're obviously coping with consequences of a bad development in the 00's and early 10's. The players that should be forming the backbone of our national teams - aged around 25 or so - are simply not there or they're there in insufficient numbers. This is the result of those dark years when our youth selections were regularly losing to top international teams like 1-6 or 0-7. When assessing Lener's work, we should be more focused on our U16-20 teams, it's rather disingenous to imply that the lack of success of the senior squad in 2017 is somehow a proof that his project doesn't work. He will be judged on the results of players born in late 90's and on.

What I find curious though is people saying now that Czech hockey has become too simplistic, too robotic and that we're lacking the good old Czech creativity and smarts. Only two or three WCHs ago, the tone was completely different - hockey has changed, we cannot depend on our traditional traits any more, our tricky and technical play is outdated, hockey is now faster and simpler, we have to adapt to this etc. There seems to be some sort of confusion or even identity crisis in Czech hockey circles, an uncertainty on how to reconcile Czech hockey with contemporary world.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I found this particularly amusing :laugh::laugh:

Začíná tím, že prohlubuje kontakty s Čínou.
„Být po mém, ze vÅ¡eho nejdřív bych jim tam poslal Přerosta s Lenerem. Ať jim předávají to svoje know-how.“

http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/hokej...-identitu-kouc-se-u-narodaku-nemuze-ucit.html

But on a more serious note, all of you guys have made good points that I agree with.

I think if there's one thing that perhaps Bukac hasn't grasped is how different ice hockey is now compared to his days. He argues that we have lost our "czechness" in hockey-yet times are different and our hockey must adapt. This makes people like Prospal (who understand this style of hockey) indispensable! Take the age-old problem in Czech hockey about not screening the goalie. Most goals these days are scored in this area around the goal and having someone there who knows how to screen and smash in rebounds is an important part of the game. This is not something that someone like Bukac I believe would agree with or understand.

Babula

May 31, 2012
This is not such a difficult situation as some think. This is a war of opinions. Hockey in the last place. I'm still thinking about I.Hlinka and R.Hanzl as one of the best our hockey player on the last WCH... patriotism isn't the aswer to the many questions ? huh

Was our hockey build on anything else in past ? this is not real world, not so complicated. this is fun of hockey and war to win.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
People are overreacting to this tournament's outcome imo. We're obviously coping with consequences of a bad development in the 00's and early 10's. The players that should be forming the backbone of our national teams - aged around 25 or so - are simply not there or they're there in insufficient numbers. This is the result of those dark years when our youth selections were regularly losing to top international teams like 1-6 or 0-7. When assessing Lener's work, we should be more focused on our U16-20 teams, it's rather disingenous to imply that the lack of success of the senior squad in 2017 is somehow a proof that his project doesn't work. He will be judged on the results of players born in late 90's and on.

What I find curious though is people saying now that Czech hockey has become too simplistic, too robotic and that we're lacking the good old Czech creativity and smarts. Only two or three WCHs ago, the tone was completely different - hockey has changed, we cannot depend on our traditional traits any more, our tricky and technical play is outdated, hockey is now faster and simpler, we have to adapt to this etc. There seems to be some sort of confusion or even identity crisis in Czech hockey circles, an uncertainty on how to reconcile Czech hockey with contemporary world.

Very good post. I agree with both parts.

Especially the overreacting of this year's outcome. I remember 8-10 years ago when there were the days when we didn't advance from the quarterfinals 3 years in a row (2007-2009) and there were very similar reactions - that we are not going to get a medal from WHC any time soon and the quarterfinal is our maximum etc. Then we won gold, two bronzes in a row, and then in the three next years even though we didn't take any medal we advanced to the semis twice.

And I acutally think that at those days we were much more in trouble than we are these days. Our youth national teams were absolutely harmless and there were so few young players we could look forward to.. I'm not saying it's perfect now (because it's absolutely not) but we still have several nice players coming up (Pastrnak, Vrana, Kostalek, Masin, Zacha, Zboril, Chlapik, Simon, Karabacek, Spacek, Hronek, Kase brothers, Musil brothers, Vladar, Langhamer, Vanecek, Hajek, Budik, Vala, Lakatos, Necas, Chytil, Zadina, Kaut, Kondelik..) + still relatively young guys who still look somewhat promising (Simek, Jerabek, Rutta, Kampf, Nosek, Kubalik, Machovsky). OK, I'm aware that not all of those guys will pan out and become NHL players. On the other hand, I'm pretty confident that most of those guys can become very good European players at least and European guys are also very important part of the national team.

After the Golden hattrick 2001, we have been in all 16 quarterfinals and we have won 8 and lost 8. I think these 50% succes rate is still on. I don't share the hysteria where some media, experts or fans say that the quarterfinal is our maximum now. Two lost quarterfinals in a row won't change that.

That being said, I'm absolutely not convinced that everything is fine in czech hockey and I know that there are so many things that could be improved but basing it just on the result of this tournament is just wrong and the repetition of that after every fail in the WHC starts to be irritating. On the other hand as Jablkon said - if there was no discussion after it could show no interest which would also be bad I guess. The media and experts pressure should be coming also (or mostly) after bad showings and results of our youth national teams though.

Also, we are lacking top coaching which has cost us a lot in the past few years IMO. On paper there were teams which had the potential to do a bit more damage.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010

I agree too. But I still think Jandač isn't good at this position.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Very good post. I agree with both parts.

Especially the overreacting of this year's outcome. I remember 8-10 years ago when there were the days when we didn't advance from the quarterfinals 3 years in a row (2007-2009) and there were very similar reactions - that we are not going to get a medal from WHC any time soon and the quarterfinal is our maximum etc. Then we won gold, two bronzes in a row, and then in the three next years even though we didn't take any medal we advanced to the semis twice.

And I acutally think that at those days we were much more in trouble than we are these days. Our youth national teams were absolutely harmless and there were so few young players we could look forward to.. I'm not saying it's perfect now (because it's absolutely not) but we still have several nice players coming up (Pastrdnak, Vrana, Kostalek, Masin, Zacha, Zboril, Chlapik, Simon, Karabacek, Spacek, Hronek, Kase brothers, Musil brothers, Vladar, Langhamer, Vanecek, Hajek, Budik, Vala, Lakatos, Necas, Chytil, Zadina, Kaut, Kondelik..) + still relatively young guys who still look somewhat promising (Simek, Jerabek, Rutta, Kampf, Nosek, Kubalik, Machovsky). OK, I'm aware that not all of those guys will pan out and become NHL players. On the other hand, I'm pretty confident that most of those guys can become very good European players at least and European guys are also very important part of the national team.

After the Golden hattrick 2001, we have been in all 16 quarterfinals and we have won 8 and lost 8. I think these 50% succes rate is still on. I don't share the hysteria where some media, experts or fans say that the quarterfinal is our maximum now. Two lost quarterfinals in a row won't change that.

That being said, I'm absolutely not convinced that everything is fine in czech hockey and I know that there are so many things that could be improved but basing it just on the result of this tournament is just wrong and the repetition of that after every fail in the WHC starts to be irritating. On the other hand as Jablkon said - if there was no discussion after it could show no interest which would also be bad I guess. The media and experts pressure should be coming also (or mostly) after bad showings and results of our youth national teams though.

Also, we are lacking top coaching which has cost us a lot in the past few years IMO. On paper there were teams which had the potential to do a bit more damage.

Sorry I dont have tim to react today, maybe tommorrow. I recently watched czechoslovak games from Canada cups 81, 84 and 87 with original canadian comentators. Without this I would probably never know how much respect had czechoslovak hockey in Canada. They considered Bukac as top world coach and czech hockey program and players as excelent. I am therefore happy that guys like Bukac and Novy finally openly said what they mean. Because they built this reputation and most importantly they built and demand top quality.

Players you highlighted are either only individuals or guys who missing something because of gaps in development. And having very good player in KHL or 6th D in NHL team is not way you can be on top. So if being around 6-8 in the world is what czech hockey wants, be it, but I am still not for it. There are money here, probably same as in Swe and Finnland , but what they feed us as problem because of czech specific is in my opinion just that instant bribe/opportunism/politics/unmoral behaviour which is not normal anywhere else. So I can not accept this phrase "get used to it, its different time".

I also dont think everything is wrong in hockey here. But question what level we are talking about. We have history, fan base, legacy and money to be 3-6th best country in the world. And in this case we are not behave professionaly in my opinion.

Last edited:

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Sorry I dont have tim to react today, maybe tommorrow. Just briefly you can not be serious about bolded. I recently watched czechoslovak games from Canada cups 81, 84 and 87 with original canadian comentators. Without this I would probably never know how much respect had czechoslovak hockey in Canada. They considered Bukac as top world coach and czech hockey program and players as excelent. I am therefore happy that guys like Bukac and Novy finally openly said what they mean. Because they built this reputation and most importantly they built and demand TOP QUALITY.

Players you highlighted are either only individuals or guys who missing something because of gaps in development. And exactly having very good player in KHL or 6th D in NHL team is not way you can be on top. So if being around 6-8 in the world is what czech hockey wants, be it, but I am still not for it. There are money here, probably same as in Swe and Finnland , but what they feed you as problem because of czech specific is just that instant bribe/opportunism/politics/unmoral behaviour which is not normal anywhere else. So I can not accept this phrase "get used to it, its different time". I worked for government for a while and experienced quite of these methods. If hockey handles with same I can guarantee you that this attitude just makes everything more complicated, destroys individualities, will and motivation.

I also dont think everything is wrong in hockey here. But question what level we are talking about. We have history, fan base, legacy and money to be 3-6th best country in the world. And in this case its not enough quality

I don't think you understood exactly what I wanted to say. I just wanted to point out that things are getting better (slightly) and the buzz about how bad we are after THIS tourney is quite amusing. Not to mention it will end in a week at best with no changes being made.
When you compare the situation now and 10 years ago - the coming up prospects look better, don't you think? But yes, I take your point. Those players mentioned are not the guys who I consider as the next golden generation which will beat Canada, US or Sweden on regular basis in top quality championships. And we should not be satisfied with that.
There are so many things that are bad in czech hockey (the trading with young players, nepotism and politics, junior Extraliga with so many teams, unwillingness to play young players in senior Extraliga, lack of quality coaches....) and yes, that everything goes on head of Lener and Co. but I still think that if they didn't step in in 2010 (or whenever it was) things could get even uglier for us (see the Slovaks). I am all for replacement because I don't see any progress for quite some time now (and those are serious issues I have mentioned) but who will be the savior who takes over? Is there even anyone like that?

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I don't think you understood exactly what I wanted to say. I just wanted to point out that things are getting better (slightly) and the buzz about how bad we are after THIS tourney is quite amusing. Not to mention it will end in a week at best with no changes being made.
When you compare the situation now and 10 years ago - the coming up prospects look better, don't you think? But yes, I take your point. Those players mentioned are not the guys who I consider as the next golden generation which will beat Canada, US or Sweden on regular basis in top quality championships. And we should not be satisfied with that.
There are so many things that are bad in czech hockey (the trading with young players, nepotism and politics, junior Extraliga with so many teams, unwillingness to play young players in senior Extraliga, lack of quality coaches....) and yes, that everything goes on head of Lener and Co. but I still think that if they didn't step in in 2010 (or whenever it was) things could get even uglier for us (see the Slovaks). I am all for replacement because I don't see any progress for quite some time now (and those are serious issues I have mentioned) but who will be the savior who takes over? Is there even anyone like that?

Sorry, I made yesterday post just because you guys made me bit jump from chair wtih your opinion about overreacting to present WHC results :).It will be quite long so I underline some parts.

I dont think it is overreaction. Sure its WHC time and people are deep into it so even media waited with these criticizing topics to May. I agree that Leners work shouldnt be evaluated based on this WHC team where, as Rexor said are members of the weakest junior generation.

Still these WHC brings issues which have been somehow around for longer time and never been adressed by association and these are not related to players. MAybe it is a lack of transparency, when we dont know what happens in that terms and people are gettig more and more frustrated (general hockey knowledge is quite high in CZ and most posters even here made valid points). Entire associations strategy towards sharing adjsustments and answering these questions is reduced to silence and waiting. Needed to be add that Czech TV, especially Zaruba, helps them too, because way how he commenting our matches just makes completely fake picture of czech hockey. It all resulted in that bizzare interview when Sykora had to calm down Jandac just because of one question which Jandac considered uncomfortable, similar with Leners interview.

So media communication and presentation is one of that things. I agree Lener should stay there. But sure, as you mentioned, I dont know either about any other competent guy. I even doubt he is able to manage it by himself,ie. media, metodology etc.. Why dont any other association experts talk about it? Why is it only Lener Kral? I mean, who is there? Prerost, that guy from Kladno? Any others? There is a goalie commission. They probably doing things right. But again who is there? Is there any other commission? These all little secrets leads to misunderstandings..

Another thing is quality of coaching, developing of coaches and individualites on this position. This issue has been here since that constant Ruzicka/Hadamczik switching and its also related to present national team.It has never been adressed by association depsite we obviously lack individualites both in offices and on bench. We discussed a lot these line changes, tactics,style of playing and we all know where is Jandac's weakness. Even that Pastrnak case is coaches responsibility. They didnt know what to do with him. I guess we would normally say that he is still learning but I really doubt they believe they can teach him something so they let him just play.

Another thing what I personally miss is vision. I dont know where we want to be and when. Is it top six team which sometimes grab medal form WHC or is it top six nation which produce top talent? And when? I am all for second option and with Kral doing his job right, I think the potential and sources are here. But here again everything still looks more like emergency management. WHC is not here for us to develope 6th NHL D or one or two NHL/AHL forwards.This is sideway result imo. It should be venue to show results of program.

Metodology. Lot of people discussing it. I dont have inside so I dont know but it probably isnt there.

Loosing name and reputation. We seriously gamble with it. Russians are joking about us, other do not respect us. We are followers, not leaders. We dont bring anything. We are not inspiration worthy. If people say czechs are small, this behaviour around hockey just confirm it both on national team and in association. DOing it with heart and knowledges is good starting point, but its not enough.

So I still call for some urgency and responsibility. This laid back attitude and opportunistic moves just make entire czech hockey looks like some bizzare thing which is not really worth to follow.

As to present junior guys and Bukac's view on modern hockey. I agree they are better. But what Bukac's said about player, I guess he means player in terms mental/intelligence abilities to play game (not competition). I am not specialized in it, but it was obvious in last U18 WHC that for example swedes, us guys are much more capable, flexible and independent in making plays (work on blue line for example). Our guys just adding speed and physicality. In my opinion this was also reason why Necas underachieved. He didnt know what he is there, whats his position, is he mature or not...The result was guy tied with responsibility and personal uncertainty - compare to Hirschier who just play his hockey at best. Not even saying that all other guys mosty smiling and become serious when they loosing, but they dont loose that natural hockey senses. But our junior guys just look like dead serious guys being in war and in spasm in my opinion. So I think Bukac's ideas could go towards this direction.

As to some 20,21 players. In my opinion they heavily rely upon NHL teams and they will to finish their developing. For example Kase. Ducks use him just for specific purpose and use his skills. He does not have anything certain and they dont trust him imo. Problem is that other guys are comming more complete even in terms of mental readiness. Why would therefore NHL teams spend time with czechs with uncertain results when they can have complete swede or finnish guy? Again its up to us to develope complex guy, not up to NHL.

I found out these two articles which I havent finished yet but I think it proves that Bukac exactly know what he is talking about and he finds out the disctinction between being robotic and being complex player playing modern hockey.

http://bukachockey.com/en/article/detail/9

http://bukachockey.com/en/article/detail/10

Last edited:

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010

A lot of things to comment on, but I will take this one first :)

I personally find Bukac's articles an interesting read-and he raises some good points-but overall they are often so laden with complex ideas and hypotheses that the clarity of his message and points are lost in a sea of jargon. It takes me quite a while to figure out what on earth he is saying sometimes ^^

With that in mind I'm not so sure that these ideas of his would necessarily help us out as much as people think.

For us to be taken seriously again (I agree with Jablkon with the way we are viewed) we need to address some of the following issues imo (some of which guys like Petr have mentioned):

1) Thinking the game at a fast pace. For example, this means shooting when you get the chance and not holding on excessively long (see cervenka). It can also mean making a decision before the puck arrives on what to do next. In other words, thinking ahead, 1-2 moves.

2) Screening the goalie/deflections. Talked about since god knows when (2007 and before), but our juniors for example still don't really know how to do properly.

3) Development of game-breaking/clutch players. Why have we not produced any for so long?

4) Producing pure goal-scorers. Last one was Hejduk imo, could the next be Vrana/Frk?

5) Mobile, puck-moving D. This one's getting better.

6) Finishing. Kinda relates to point 1) imo. But we need to teach players to finish better. In certain situations and opportunities, they have to score. No excuses.

7) Better coaching/development etc.

These aren't in any particular order, but I think point 1) is the most important and it sets the elite teams apart from the rest imo.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
A lot of things to comment on, but I will take this one first :)

I personally find Bukac's articles an interesting read-and he raises some good points-but overall they are often so laden with complex ideas and hypotheses that the clarity of his message and points are lost in a sea of jargon. It takes me quite a while to figure out what on earth he is saying sometimes ^^

With that in mind I'm not so sure that these ideas of his would necessarily help us out as much as people think.

For us to be taken seriously again (I agree with Jablkon with the way we are viewed) we need to address some of the following issues imo (some of which guys like Petr have mentioned):

1) Thinking the game at a fast pace. For example, this means shooting when you get the chance and not holding on excessively long (see cervenka). It can also mean making a decision before the puck arrives on what to do next. In other words, thinking ahead, 1-2 moves.

2) Screening the goalie/deflections. Talked about since god knows when (2007 and before), but our juniors for example still don't really know how to do properly.

3) Development of game-breaking/clutch players. Why have we not produced any for so long?

4) Producing pure goal-scorers. Last one was Hejduk imo, could the next be Vrana/Frk?

5) Mobile, puck-moving D. This one's getting better.

6) Finishing. Kinda relates to point 1) imo. But we need to teach players to finish better. In certain situations and opportunities, they have to score. No excuses.

7) Better coaching/development etc.

These aren't in any particular order, but I think point 1) is the most important and it sets the elite teams apart from the rest imo.

In my opinion, what Bukac is saying is that when you reach some level you can not just combine seperate thinking and moving. Then you have to use you natural instincts and habits which became natural part of yourself /very symplifying and not accurate description/. Cervenka is good example, he is going to the corner, he stops, he looks, he thinks fast, but in the end of the day, he is slow imo.. That will be brutal comparison, but what Crosby does is all part of him and you dont see that "breaks" in his game.

In my opinion there is big discrepancy between our attitude to kids and attitude in Canada and in for example Sweden. Also general mood in that societies are much more positive than in CZ. I am not saying its practical for life, but when you want to be top hockey player, you probably has to grow up us a life winner. Ie you parents and coaches have to give you positive impulses to raise you capabilities, feel them and feel enjoyment from it. Then you start to believe into it and you naturally love just enjoyment of this game and do things naturally and fast. In normal life, you meet soon or later girl who ****s with you and **** another two guys, your boss is bossing you and you dont get it because you have all these skills and live good life with good people that you dont understand what is going on. But this is top hockey enviroment which is kind of different nad its not up to them to teach life.

In my opinion our players have mostly great character, thats why they are popular. But they dont grow up in that enviroment producing top hockey in meaning above or winners. They grow up in enviroment where they know they are good things and bad things in life nad is good to have wife and family. If you take picture of czech team on blue line and canadians and swedes, they mostly look chilled and happy compare to us. We say our guys are fighters, but this is what canadians can easily switch to as well,just not to fighter mode but to warrior mode. I dont know how to say it in english - "prozivani". Their persons as hockey players have much more options to do than we can or have.

What is more interesting imo, that he is saying we dont have to be necessary like them in all aspects because we have our tools to be succesfull. Maybe they are both old but Bruckner was exactly talking about the same. They both mentioned that this sense of cooperation is unique. True is no one is really exploring this possibility. But how that come that guy like Hlinka can still play in league? He is small, he is saying he does everything by instincts.... To add, you saying thinking 1, 2 steps ahead, but Bukac is saying in that interview, that its not possible.
I dont know you are maybe coach so you understand to these issue more. But I would necessarry dont say, that because its hard to read it, it does not make any sense. Funny that he does not insists on old methods,on contrary he is saying throw them away.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad