WC: 2017 Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
International hockey really is a very interesting and important thing.
It is a pity that in hockey all tournaments are not very good.
:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

P.S

In soccer, national teams play almost every month with the best rosters

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't really know. It's clear that had this been the olympics, we would've seen completely different squads. The prestige is clearly a problem. How to make the tournament more prestigous for players is again a question for players, not for any of us really.

It's clearly a question that any Canadian can give an answer for, given that the question is how to make the tournament more prestigious in Canada. The players don't dictate what is important to the general population. The players are Canadians - if it becomes more prestigious in Canada and they grow up in an environment where the tournament is prestigious, that will only help with participation, which will further improve the tournament's reputation.

Don't do this, your honesty about the reality here will ruin the Europeans way of fluffing off that the "World Championships" are always held on one continent(theirs) by deluding themselves that all Canada has to do is bid for the tournament and they would have it more often.

They sleep well at night knowing they get this tournament every single freaking year and allows them to feel no guilt while constantly barraging us with cries of unfairness when Canada/world cups(which are held at 4 year intervals, if that) are never held in Europe.

I mean cmon, they are so hard done by and have it real rough.

Please don't rob them of that, they have little else.

I'm very familiar with the common refrain - there is nothing that stops Canada and USA from bidding on the IIHF World championship! The first time Canada bid it was awarded the tournament! - and various times I have detailed why that line of thinking is ridiculous. There are very obvious practical reasons why Canada for instance basically cannot host this tournament. Those reasons aren't even the IIHF's fault anymore, and I don't doubt that the IIHF would like to host the tournament in Canada more often to make more money (I doubt they would both hosting it in USA where it would tank). TAny poster who can't recognize those practical issues is either in extreme denial or is lacking in cognitive abilities, and in either case it isn't worth pursuing it every time it comes up.

P.S

Soccer culture is derived from Europe, where international competition has long been big. Hockey culture is derived from Canada, where international competition is not nearly as big, at least historically. Big difference.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Well it's good to know everyone knows our goaltending is the biggest question mark of the entire tournament except for Hockey Canada. It's embarrassing our starting goalie is the back-up and not even the "young, up-and-coming starter" back-up either.

Goaltending is the biggest question mark- but you got to work with what you got, and i am pretty sure the other options Hockey Canada wanted, did not want to play in this tournament. Pickard should be the starter, and the games i seen Colorado play- he was very good. Just hoping that he is decent enough in net.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

P.S

Hockey players get banged up like crazy,it's a contact sport and they already play way too many games in a season as it is. They can't be going around playing all these crazy national friendlies and tournaments all the time like soccer players do, it would be crazy, they would break their bodies. You would only be shortening the careers of the players by years. I'm not even going to get into the travel, all these star players of national teams that play all their games in small European countries compared to the travel of a vast continent like N.A.

Two completely different sports with different realities.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
It's clearly a question that any Canadian can give an answer for, given that the question is how to make the tournament more prestigious in Canada. The players don't dictate what is important to the general population. The players are Canadians - if it becomes more prestigious in Canada and they grow up in an environment where the tournament is prestigious, that will only help with participation, which will further improve the tournament's reputation.

I'm very familiar with the common refrain - there is nothing that stops Canada and USA from bidding on the IIHF World championship! The first time Canada bid it was awarded the tournament! - and various times I have detailed why that line of thinking is ridiculous. There are very obvious practical reasons why Canada for instance basically cannot host this tournament. Those reasons aren't even the IIHF's fault anymore, and I don't doubt that the IIHF would like to host the tournament in Canada more often to make more money (I doubt they would both hosting it in USA where it would tank). TAny poster who can't recognize those practical issues is either in extreme denial or is lacking in cognitive abilities, and in either case it isn't worth pursuing it every time it comes up.

Soccer culture is derived from Europe, where international competition has long been big. Hockey culture is derived from Canada, where international competition is not nearly as big, at least historically. Big difference.

any European league players named to the team? I looked. I couldn't find any news.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
any European league players named to the team? I looked. I couldn't find any news.

No, I'm confident that Ryan Kennedy, not so bright scribe for the Hockey News, just heard that they brought some along for practices and such. That has happened before. If someone was added, one would have to think that Hockey Canada would announce him with the most recent four.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
No, I'm confident that Ryan Kennedy, not so bright scribe for the Hockey News, just heard that they brought some along for practices and such. That has happened before. If someone was added, one would have to think that Hockey Canada would announce him with the most recent four.

Yes, Kennedy is a bit of a dimwit.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Chris Lee invited to Training camp in Geneva.

Chris Lee much better then De Haan or Morrisey (my opinion)

What would be acceptable is if someone like Lee is officially added to the team if the second round of the NHL playoffs does not yield anyone noteworthy for Canada. It's good to have guys like that even at camp though to help out the young defencemen.

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
Hoping Morrissey turns a few heads. In my opinion, he was the Jets 2nd best D playing as a rookie this year.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Morrissey is good. He's a good skater and quite smart, and players with those traits can play well internationally. Demers is the defenceman I am most down on, but he isn't terrible or anything as a third pairing option.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Like that

Jeff Skinner-Mark Scheifele-Nathan MacKinon
Ryan O’Reilly-Ryan Getzlaf-Mitch Marner
Brayden Schenn- Claude Giroux- Wayne Simmonds
Alex Killorn-Sean Couturier-Matt Duchene
Brayden Point

Travis Konecny

Marc-Edouard Vlasic-Tyson Barrie
PK SUBBAN-RYAN ELLIS
Jason Demers-Calvin de Haan
Josh Morrissey

Mike Matheson

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Like that

Jeff Skinner-Mark Scheifele-Nathan MacKinon
Ryan O’Reilly-Ryan Getzlaf-Mitch Marner
Brayden Schenn- Claude Giroux- Wayne Simmonds
Alex Killorn-Sean Couturier-Matt Duchene
Brayden Point

Travis Konecny

Marc-Edouard Vlasic-Tyson Barrie
PK SUBBAN-RYAN ELLIS
Jason Demers-Calvin de Haan
Josh Morrissey

Mike Matheson

Sorry but you don't know matheson he won't be 8th
Getzlaf is not coming over. Will want to rest.
Subban and ellis will get through St. Louis so you can count them out of wc

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Goaltending is the biggest question mark- but you got to work with what you got, and i am pretty sure the other options Hockey Canada wanted, did not want to play in this tournament. Pickard should be the starter, and the games i seen Colorado play- he was very good. Just hoping that he is decent enough in net.

I'd say you should watch more Avs games but thankfully that's impossible until next season.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Pickard played very good for Canada last year.

He played 2 games...Hungary and France. Not exactly heavyweights.

I'm not overly confident he can give us legit #1 goaltending minutes to get to a gold medal game. but I'm hoping he can and my fingers are crossed.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
We play Switzerland tomorrow.

C-rxFXKWsAQllZq.jpg

http://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/marner-excited-to-continue-season-with-team-canada~1112355

http://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/canada-aiming-to-use-its-skill-and-pace-at-whc~1112080

I am pretty interested in how the lines are gonna be and of course the game itself. Switzerland is pretty good team, plus don't forget they have already played like 4 exhibition games already. It's gonna be a tough test right away.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

C-rxFXKWsAQllZq.jpg

http://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/marner-excited-to-continue-season-with-team-canada~1112355

http://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/canada-aiming-to-use-its-skill-and-pace-at-whc~1112080

I am pretty interested in how the lines are gonna be and of course the game itself. Switzerland is pretty good team, plus don't forget they have already played like 4 exhibition games already. It's gonna be a tough test right away.

Mitchy Boy better play lights out and not that crap he pulled at the World Juniors. If I see that Mitch, the Mitch we saw in Helsinki, I'm going to be livid. I don't usually forgive such poor Hockey Canada performances so quickly. I'm only now just forgiving Skinner for his couple of crap performances at the WHC. Dylan Strome may never come off my crap list.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

C-rxFXKWsAQllZq.jpg

Not a very inspiring answer from Mitch on why he wants to play, just wanting to keep your hockey skills sharp sounds more like a guy who is going to summer school then a guy who really wants to spit fire and help Canada win 3 straight.He looked so blase with his non verbal signs too.Have to wonder just how effective a player for the tournament we are getting there. I think he may end up playing very little of a role on this team. I hope he proves me wrong.

Duchene with the right way to answer the question, really like that guy.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Mitchy Boy better play lights out and not that crap he pulled at the World Juniors. If I see that Mitch, the Mitch we saw in Helsinki, I'm going to be livid. I don't usually forgive such poor Hockey Canada performances so quickly. I'm only now just forgiving Skinner for his couple of crap performances at the WHC. Dylan Strome may never come off my crap list.

Correction, he is never coming off your **** list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad