WC: 2017 Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Winning all the time? it's just 2 years in a row and before the 2015 win everyone was taking their cracks at Canada(which is a hobby here for many) saying they had not won in ages and questioning why they couldn't win this tournament anymore.

At least here they were.

2 years in a row, you make it sound like it's the soviets in their halcyon olympic days.

We havent won everything this decade or anything like that, we've taken plenty of lumps.

For a lot of people around these parts, 2 years without being able to make those cracks seems like an eternity.

I hope we can get 1 more solid addition on D and all 4 lines fill the net, b/c other than the goaltending, the team looks fairly solid to me. provided of course the addition of a legit Top pairing D-man. And a BIG question mark. Does Coach Coop know what he's doing? I've never been a fan of the way he does things. but...we shall see.

Last edited:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Our goalies aren't great

But they are not that bad. Johnson and Pickard are pretty solid back-ups in the NHL with Pickard being a potential very good number one goalie for the Avs. Thats why there are rumors of either trading Varlamov or leaving him for Las Vegas.

Lol @ people getting mad at the people running the team.

So you honestly think they were like hmm we need a goalie.. Jones Crawford or Johnson.. let's go with Johnson.

No that didn't happen. 99% chance they declined and Johnson was their best bet.

Yep, I agree.

I am very happy for Schenn. I was wondering why he wasn't on the roster already, I thought there were some personal/family reasons or something. He's a great player.

I wonder about Getzlaf if the Ducks ended in the 2nd round. He or McDavid would be great additions. I think these two, or Crosby, are the only additions that may going to happen here. The forward group is done, anything extra will be a bonus and should not be counted on from now. I think the D will surely be upgraded, with still having just 6 d-men. The Nasvhille-St.Louis series is the only one that holds interest here. I hope that at the very least we could get either Parayko or Ellis, in better case maybe Subban or Pietrangelo, with me being more confident in Subban, but who knows.

Last edited:

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Team Canada consists from these winners:

2x Olympic Gold Medal
4x World Cup Gold Medal
10x World Championship Gold Medal
4x Memorial Cup Champion
3x U18 WJC Gold Medal
5x U20 WJC Gold Medal
1x AHL Calder Cup Champion

There's no Stanley Cup winner though.

In terms of real salary:

$87,488,000

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Team Canada consists from these winners:

2x Olympic Gold Medal
4x World Cup Gold Medal
10x World Championship Gold Medal
4x Memorial Cup Champion
3x U18 WJC Gold Medal
5x U20 WJC Gold Medal
1x AHL Calder Cup Champion

There's no Stanley Cup winner though.

In terms of real salary:

$87,488,000

Hmm better then any nhl club)

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
But they are not that bad. Johnson and Pickard are pretty solid back-ups in the NHL with Pickard being a potential very good number one goalie for the Avs. Thats why there are rumors of either trading Varlamov or leaving him for Las Vegas.

Yep, I agree.

I am very happy for Schenn. I was wondering why he wasn't on the roster already, I thought there were some personal/family reasons or something. He's a great player.

I wonder about Getzlaf if the Ducks ended in the 2nd round. He or McDavid would be great additions. I think these two, or Crosby, are the only additions that may going to happen here. The forward group is done, anything extra will be a bonus and should not be counted on from now. I think the D will surely be upgraded, with still having just 6 d-men. The Nasvhille-St.Louis series is the only one that holds interest here. I hope that at the very least we could get either Parayko or Ellis, in better case maybe Subban or Pietrangelo, with me being more confident in Subban, but who knows.

I think the reason is that Hextall was aiming for better players and once he realized that most of them declined / or are not interested, he invited Schenn.

Yeah, Schenn is great, although he was not very good 5v5 this season, but he was one of the best PP players in the NHL.

Cooper could create almost whole Flyers 1st PP unit. :laugh: Just need to replace Gostisbehere and Voracek. Barrie instead of Ghost and for example Duchene instead of Voracek.

---------Simmonds
Giroux----Schenn-----Duchene
----------Barrie

Hextall failed in 2014

Scrivens and Mayers killed Team Canada in 2014 in 1/4 .

What a shame.

Hextall was not GM of Team Canada back in 2014, he was only part of management group. Rob Blake was GM.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Well boys, as usual the roster is a mixed bag and doesn't look the way we all dreamed it would, but it's the team now and I'm taking Friday off work to watch the first game :yo:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
For a lot of people around these parts, 2 years without being able to make those cracks seems like an eternity.

I hope we can get 1 more solid addition on D and all 4 lines fill the net, b/c other than the goaltending, the team looks fairly solid to me. provided of course the addition of a legit Top pairing D-man. And a BIG question mark. Does Coach Coop know what he's doing? I've never been a fan of the way he does things. but...we shall see.

LOL,You nailed it, that is exactly what it is all about, it is not about a team winning all the time, it is about CANADA winning the last 2 olympics and their precious skoda cup twice in a row. That is something that is hard to stomach for them. At the moment they only have the World juniors to get their digs in and for them that is hardly enough. It's imperative for them to have the winner at the skodas be someone other then Canada this year, the second we lose they can gleefully pile on!!

Let's face it, we are the evil empire to them.They live for us to lose.

Coach Coop? Don't know much about him because I don't follow Tampa much, I have enough problems on my hands being furious about the situation in Montreal and what can be done to right the ship. Firing Bergevin and getting a good G.M in there would be a nice start, and I don't care if the G.M speaks french or not!!

What a **** show.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
If all canadian players been "more patriotic" . . . roster looks like

Price,Crowford,Dubnyk

Benn-Tavares-Seguin
Marchand-Bergeron- O’Reilly
Hall-Towes- Scheifele
Monahan-Giroux-Сarter
Couture

Daughty-Weber
Burns-Vlasic
Keith-Hamilton
Giordano

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Well boys, as usual the roster is a mixed bag and doesn't look the way we all dreamed it would, but it's the team now and I'm taking Friday off work to watch the first game :yo:

Good for you. The roster is indeed pretty much done, and certainly not as good as most here hoped, but it's competitive and there are young guys who should get some valuable experience. Cannot really complain.

LOL,You nailed it, that is exactly what it is all about, it is not about a team winning all the time, it is about CANADA winning the last 2 olympics and their precious skoda cup twice in a row. That is something that is hard to stomach for them. At the moment they only have the World juniors to get their digs in and for them that is hardly enough. It's imperative for them to have the winner at the skodas be someone other then Canada this year, the second we lose they can gleefully pile on!!

Let's face it, we are the evil empire to them.They live for us to lose.

Coach Coop? Don't know much about him because I don't follow Tampa much, I have enough problems on my hands being furious about the situation in Montreal and what can be done to right the ship. Firing Bergevin and getting a good G.M in there would be a nice start, and I don't care if the G.M speaks french or not!!

What a **** show.

Better to be Canada than anyone else. When losses are noteworthy, you know you're doing something right. It was funny to hear the critiques about Canada in this tournament circa 2015. The results of the tournament are meaningless given how the proportion of top players for each team varies so significantly, but some did indeed take a lot of joy in Canada having a few fluke quarterfinal losses (2012 and 2013 especially). No need to take critiques based largely on either delusion or jealousy very seriously.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

Rumors are unfounded. Varlamov will be protected by the Avs in the expansion draft because he's the only goalie to show he can be a starter. Pickard had his shot this year and fell short of showing he's a starting goalie.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Better to be Canada than anyone else. When losses are noteworthy, you know you're doing something right. It was funny to hear the critiques about Canada in this tournament circa 2015. The results of the tournament are meaningless given how the proportion of top players for each team varies so significantly, but some did indeed take a lot of joy in Canada having a few fluke quarterfinal losses (2012 and 2013 especially). No need to take critiques based largely on either delusion or jealousy very seriously.

I know the critiques are just that..........delusion and jealousy. I'm just not as mature as you, or maybe just more hotheaded. When I hear dopes of that ilk doing their act it irritates me because it is not about hockey at all and I don't think guys like that belong on this site.

I believe there should be a higher standard.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Has the scheduling changed over the years? Some years ago getting any 2nd round exit was a pipe dream, and now they're actually planning for it. Think it would help the WHCs to start when all of the 2nd round has finished.

This team is a "let down" compared to the previous two years, but it's better than what we saw in 2010-2014. It's still nowhere near a cap team. A couple of solid additions on D would make it another gold medal favorite. Forward group is definitely strong enough.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
World Championship for Canada prestige tournament or not ?

Not overly prestigious. Above Spengler Cup, far below WJC.

Has the scheduling changed over the years? Some years ago getting any 2nd round exit was a pipe dream, and now they're actually planning for it. Think it would help the WHCs to start when all of the 2nd round has finished.

This team is a "let down" compared to the previous two years, but it's better than what we saw in 2010-2014. It's still nowhere near a cap team. A couple of solid additions on D would make it another gold medal favorite. Forward group is definitely strong enough.

Some years they get second round additions, most years not. It is unusual for them to take only six defencemen though, which shows how blatantly they are anticipating another addition. Have to think they have their eyes on Pietrangelo/Subban/ or more likely Parayko/Ellis.

As for this team compared to 2010-2014 teams, you should look at the 2012 and (especially) 2013 teams. Some of those teams were loaded for this level, but they blew it.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Not overly prestigious. Above Spengler Cup, far below WJC.

Some years they get second round additions, most years not. It is unusual for them to take only six defencemen though, which shows how blatantly they are anticipating another addition. Have to think they have their eyes on Pietrangelo/Subban/ or more likely Parayko/Ellis.

As for this team compared to 2010-2014 teams, you should look at the 2012 and (especially) 2013 teams. Some of those teams were loaded for this level, but they blew it.

Ya, Getzlaf Perry and Benn found Helsinki's best Irish bar and partied a little too hard.

but I can sympathize. I've been to that bar. you can have a time there.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
What IIHF must do for this tournament became more prestigious for Canada?

The IIHF cannot fix it. The root of the problem is historical. The IIHF held a tournament, called it the World Championship, but the best players in the world could not play, so Canadians didn't respect it. So there are decades of history of the best Canadians either not being allowed to play or just refusing, which hurts the reputation of the tournament. The IIHF has done its best to fix this in recent years, but the issue exists. Because players didn't grow up liking this tournament, we still see many refusals, and because those players refuse the reputation of the tournament suffers. It is a cycle.

The schedule is another problem. This tournament has to compete with the NHL playoffs, and it can't win that competition. The WJC is held at a time when the NHL games mean very little, which is a huge advantage. Also, because of when the tournament is held, major Canadian cities can't realistically bid to host this tournament. As a result the tournament is always being played at inconvenient times for Canadians, so it is difficult to build the audience. This is a consequence of the IIHF's decisions in the past, so there is nothing that can be done to fix it. The IIHF has done well to move the tournament back in recent years, but I understand that it cannot wait until the NHL playoffs are over due to how much earlier the European leagues finish.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
What IIHF must do for this tournament became more prestigious for Canada?
That's a question for players.

There are quite a lot of things that play a role in declining an invitation. Not having a contract is one of them, but clearly not the only one and not the most important one. Had this been the biggest problem, we would've seen Benn, Seguin, Doughty, or Carter in this year's roster - players who are all guaranteed to have contracts for next 1+seasons.

I don't really know. It's clear that had this been the olympics, we would've seen completely different squads. The prestige is clearly a problem. How to make the tournament more prestigous for players is again a question for players, not for any of us really.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The IIHF cannot fix it. The root of the problem is historical. The IIHF held a tournament, called it the World Championship, but the best players in the world could not play, so Canadians didn't respect it. So there are decades of history of the best Canadians either not being allowed to play or just refusing, which hurts the reputation of the tournament. The IIHF has done its best to fix this in recent years, but the issue exists. Because players didn't grow up liking this tournament, we still see many refusals, and because those players refuse the reputation of the tournament suffers. It is a cycle.

The schedule is another problem. This tournament has to compete with the NHL playoffs, and it can't win that competition. The WJC is held at a time when the NHL games mean very little, which is a huge advantage. Also, because of when the tournament is held, major Canadian cities can't realistically bid to host this tournament. As a result the tournament is always being played at inconvenient times for Canadians, so it is difficult to build the audience. This is a consequence of the IIHF's decisions in the past, so there is nothing that can be done to fix it. The IIHF has done well to move the tournament back in recent years, but I understand that it cannot wait until the NHL playoffs are over due to how much earlier the European leagues finish.

Don't do this, your honesty about the reality here will ruin the Europeans way of fluffing off that the "World Championships" are always held on one continent(theirs) by deluding themselves that all Canada has to do is bid for the tournament and they would have it more often.

They sleep well at night knowing they get this tournament every single freaking year and allows them to feel no guilt while constantly barraging us with cries of unfairness when Canada/world cups(which are held at 4 year intervals, if that) are never held in Europe.

I mean cmon, they are so hard done by and have it real rough.

Please don't rob them of that, they have little else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad