Josh Morrissey-Calvin de Haan
Jason Demers-Mike Matheson

P.S Bonus

Alternate roster

3qDCpO4JDTs.jpg

Last edited:

kaner88slo

Apr 8, 2017
The forward group is pretty solid, some great offensive talents up there, but the defensemen are pretty average. Well, thank god for Vlasic, he is gonna make everything better. So the third line did well on the bigger ice?

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
I will post it here again...for everyone who want to know, what was the line-up in todays game vs Switzerland.

Skinner-Scheifele-O'Reilly
MacKinnon-Giroux-Duchene
Killorn-Couturier-Simmonds
Schenn/Konecny-Point-Marner

de Haan-Barrie
Matheson-Demers
Lee-Morrissey
Card

Johnson/Pickard

PP units

Giroux-Simmonds-Schenn-Skinner-Matheson
Scheifele-MacKinnon-Duchene-O'Reilly-Barrie

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Whether or not another team has "some special kind of offense" has nothing to do with being sure that Canada's goaltenders will do well. It's a below average NHL starter and an NHL backup. No one can guarantee anything. Canada has had better goaltenders, with better defences in front of them than on this team, blow games against weak WC teams plenty of times this decade. Concerns about goaltending are valid and cannot be waved away just because you wish it.

How is the quality of other teams' forwards not relevant?? Of course it is. Pickard or Johnson won't be going against elite forwards that often as they would in a best-on-best tournament. I have no problem to admit that I "hope" and "believe" they will do well, and that this isn't the goaltending I was hoping for. And I understand the concerns, because the goaltending is certainly below-average from a canadian point of view. Still, I am hopeful they will do ok. Let's not act like they can't stop the puck because they're only backups in the best league in the world.

I share the thought that the goaltending is by no means the best though. And I certainly understand your point of view and it's perfectly understandable. Still I believe we will be ok in that department.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
How is the quality of other teams' forwards not relevant?? Of course it is. Pickard or Johnson won't be going against elite forwards that often as they would in a best-on-best tournament. I have no problem to admit that I "hope" and "believe" they will do well, and that this isn't the goaltending I was hoping for. And I understand the concerns, because the goaltending is certainly below-average from a canadian point of view. Still, I am hopeful they will do ok. Let's not act like they can't stop the puck because they're only backups in the best league in the world.

I share the thought that the goaltending is by no means the best though. And I certainly understand your point of view and it's perfectly understandable. Still I believe we will be ok in that department.

I didn't say that it isn't relevant, I said that your post in response to someone rightly noting that Canada's goaltending is weak - that you are sure that the goaltending will be fine - is not justified just because you don't consider the other offences special. Mediocre defences have picked mediocre Canadian goaltending apart many times at this tournament, even in recent years. We all hope for the best I imagine, but no one knows how it will play out, and recent history indicates that it could be an issue. Something like Talbot last year is the best case scenario.

While True Hockey Fan did a good job with updates, which were appreciated, I am curious about how Lee did. I know he scored, but aside from that. I am curious if he is a legitimate option for Canada, especially because the team doesn't have a particularly good PP defenceman. If Canada can get someone good after the second round of course he (or someone else) could be bumped in favour of the new player.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I didn't say that it isn't relevant, I said that your post in response to someone rightly noting that Canada's goaltending is weak - that you are sure that the goaltending will be fine - is not justified just because you don't consider the other offences special. Mediocre defences have picked mediocre Canadian goaltending apart many times at this tournament, even in recent years. We all hope for the best I imagine, but no one knows how it will play out, and recent history indicates that it could be an issue. Something like Talbot last year is the best case scenario.
Yeah I know, and I'm rather saying that it will do "ok enough" for us. I of course agree with the general premise that the goaltending is nothing special. I just believe it will do ok. Of course I can't be literally sure of it, in the way of looking at the names on paper and saying - yeah, everything's absolutely fine - but I'm confident in the overall team's abilities so it shouldn't be a real weakness on the ice imo.

While True Hockey Fan did a good job with updates, which were appreciated, I am curious about how Lee did. I know he scored, but aside from that. I am curious if he is a legitimate option for Canada, especially because the team doesn't have a particularly good PP defenceman. If Canada can get someone good after the second round of course he (or someone else) could be bumped in favour of the new player.

From my point of view, for what I remember, he was solid, both defensively and offensively. Maybe someone can say more. I remember a Swiss player going alone on Johnson and Lee making a defensive play on him. He was also fine on PPs. Meaning that he didn't stand out, but he definitely wasn't a liability or something. Solid game overall imo.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
From my point of view, for what I remember, he was solid, both defensively and offensively. Maybe someone can say more. I remember a Swiss player going alone on Johnson and Lee making a defensive play on him. He was also fine on PPs. Meaning that he didn't stand out, but he definitely wasn't a liability or something. Solid game overall imo.

Interesting. I am interested to see what happens with him. I am not against having a better Europe based defenceman around as a guide of sorts for the young defencemen, particularly if there are no big additions after the second round of the playoffs.

Chris Lee is in Canada's roster.

Did you see this stated somewhere? This tweet from Hockey Canada:

Kind of indicates that Lee might be on the team, since they thanked Card for joining the team for the exhibition game but not Lee.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Interesting. I am interested to see what happens with him. I am not against having a better Europe based defenceman around as a guide of sorts for the young defencemen, particularly if there are no big additions after the second round of the playoffs.

Kind of indicates that Lee might be on the team, since they thanked Card for joining the team for the exhibition game but not Lee.

Did you see that Cape Breton won the Telus Cup? first team from the Atlantic provinces to win it.

Nice!!

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Did you see that Cape Breton won the Telus Cup? first team from the Atlantic provinces to win it.

Nice!!

Yes, of course. I laughed when Ron MacLean, he of Cape Breton roots himself, noted on how many "Macs" were on the team during Hockey Night in Canada. I'm not from the west, but good for the boys.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yes, of course. I laughed when Ron MacLean, he of Cape Breton roots himself, noted on how many "Macs" were on the team during Hockey Night in Canada. I'm not from the west, but good for the boys.

lol, yeah.

If it's a team from Cape Breton, Macs and lot's of them are to be expected.

I am from the west side of the Island.

Did not know Macleans family came from there in days gone by, of course with a name like Maclean it isn't a long shot.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
lol, yeah.

If it's a team from Cape Breton, Macs and lot's of them are to be expected.

I am from the west side of the Island.

Did not know Macleans family came from there in days gone by, of course with a name like Maclean it isn't a long shot.

His father is from the northside and I think his mother is from somewhere outside of industrial Cape Breton. I remember MacLean on tv telling a story about his grandfather, who had the most Cape Breton name imaginable - John-Dan MacDonald. I remember that name specifically because the reason for the name "John-Dan" is pretty obvious given his provenance and made me think of older relatives with similar names.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Lee better then ahl level Card.

LEE best defensman in all KHL.

I hope Lee will be added.

for example Giordano been added in 2008 canada roster like best KHL D

large.jpg

Last edited:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
His father is from the northside and I think his mother is from somewhere outside of industrial Cape Breton. I remember MacLean on tv telling a story about his grandfather, who had the most Cape Breton name imaginable - John-Dan MacDonald. I remember that name specifically because the reason for the name "John-Dan" is pretty obvious given his provenance and made me think of older relatives with similar names.

Didn't get to see any of the game yesterday...haven't checked out the TSN highlights just yet either, but will get to it this morning...

but encouraging for a first skate in weeks for these players.

I really hope a few St. Louis players join in on the fun, Parayko especially.

Couple of solid additions to this team, then we should be okay to win a couple of elimination games.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Didn't get to see any of the game yesterday...haven't checked out the TSN highlights just yet either, but will get to it this morning...

but encouraging for a first skate in weeks for these players.

I really hope a few St. Louis players join in on the fun, Parayko especially.

Couple of solid additions to this team, then we should be okay to win a couple of elimination games.

Jaden Schwartz ????
In 2013 this boy arrived after 2 round:)

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Marner's face in this has crossed the uncanny valley for me.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Chris Lee looked very sharp in yesterday's game, and looked like he belongs... No problem with him being on Team Canada. Can be only good to have a player with those Euro experiences on the team.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

:laugh:

There is two John Dan Macdonalds in the community of a little over one thousand where I grew up.

Good stuff.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
TV Sched for Friday

Russia v Sweden TSN 1 and 4 10:00 EST

Finland v Belarus TSN 3 and 5 10:00 EST

Czech Rep v Canada TSN 1 3 4 and 5 2:00 PM EST

I don't see a listing for the USA v Germany game on any of the TSN channels.

a little disappointing. I'd like to switch back and forth from the Canada to U.S. game.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
TV Sched for Friday

Russia v Sweden TSN 1 and 4 10:00 EST

Finland v Belarus TSN 3 and 5 10:00 EST

Czech Rep v Canada TSN 1 3 4 and 5 2:00 PM EST

I don't see a listing for the USA v Germany game on any of the TSN channels.

a little disappointing. I'd like to switch back and forth from the Canada to U.S. game.

Russia-Sweden would be more interesting I think, but i guess the U.S game would be worthwhile in terms of scouting them a little to see what they have.

Looks like i will miss all the games this year due to work so getting the scoop here in the evening is paramount now. I hope I get some rain days to be able to watch one or two.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Russia-Sweden would be more interesting I think, but i guess the U.S game would be worthwhile in terms of scouting them a little to see what they have.

Looks like i will miss all the games this year due to work so getting the scoop here in the evening is paramount now. I hope I get some rain days to be able to watch one or two.

working from home was the golden ticket. It was a relaxing few years, but starting in August that all changes. Will be moving south of the border for a few years, but within driving distance to my favorite NHL team.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Had never heard of this Chris Lee guy so decided to do some snooping around about the guy.

Never even played major junior, and he's no spring chicken either, the guy is 37. Ain't a big guy either, 6 feet 185.

Oh well, he scored a goal yesterday anyway. Big opportunity for this guy, bet you he never dreamed he would be on Team Canada at a tournament like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad