WC: 2017 Team Canada - Part II

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
A loss in the shootouts in the gold medal game is good enough for me. This was a good tournament from the guys especially since we had a fairly weak defence and weak goaltenders. Pickard was great though, played well and give us a chance in every game.

All in all, didn't get the gold, but the guys played well and pushed a very strong Swedish team to the edge. IMO, we outplayed them even though it was close.

Yeah, while I'm disappointed about losing in a shootout I'm still happy with the Silver.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
I absolutely agree with this. That 2015 team was one of the best EVER - amazing high speed, high skill hockey while maintaining perfect balance and discipline. That sort of domination I last saw with the Soviet Union... And 2016 team was not far behind. This year's Canada is quite a bit more "ordinary" in the sense that it really doesn't control the puck as much and is more conventional and slower for many stretches of the games. But they have flashes of brilliance too.
Completely agree. I'm still in awe at the 2015 team, perfect execution from start to finish. There's no way we can repeat that regularly, we'd have to be back in the Soviet Union times to have that year after year.

Just came to say that Marner is awesome.
Yeah, I was excited to discover how Marner would perform at the international senior level and I wasn't disappointed.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
They played about as well as could be expected I think so no real complaints, who knows who would have won in real Hockey time?

We lost in a shootout, it's no big deal.

It was a good team and they played as hard and about as good as they could today.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
2013 was a coin flip as well

Yes, but this was a well earned coin flip. The 2017 Canadian team being tied with the 2017 Swedish team after 80 minutes is acceptable given the rosters. The 2013 team being tied with the 2013 Swedish team is absolutely not acceptable. The 2013 Canadian team was much more talented than the 2017 Canadian team, and the 2013 Swedish team was much less talented than the 2017 Swedish team. The 2013 team really was a wasted opportunity.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I'm pleased with the tournament the boys put in. a few players were a disappointment, but overall, Gold Medal games is all I ever ask for. If Hockey Canada and the boys deliver that, then we'll win more than we lose. Tournament was a success.

Already starting to put together my dream roster for next year to be posted at the conclusion of the WJHC in January.

I do hope Duchene *whatever team he is on in October, Nate in Denver and ROR in Buffalo are all unavailable come next May and leading their teams on lengthy playoff runs. Not that I don't want them on the team, I admire their commitment to the jersey, it's just time for them to be pursuing Lord Stanley in May...others can step up.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm pleased with the tournament the boys put in. a few players were a disappointment, but overall, Gold Medal games is all I ever ask for. If Hockey Canada and the boys deliver that, then we'll win more than we lose. Tournament was a success.

Already starting to put together my dream roster for next year to be posted at the conclusion of the WJHC in January.

I do hope Duchene *whatever team he is on in October, Nate in Denver and ROR in Buffalo are all unavailable come next May and leading their teams on lengthy playoff runs. Not that I don't want them on the team, I admire their commitment to the jersey, it's just time for them to be pursuing Lord Stanley in May...others can step up.

Agree with this.They have done their time at this thing, it is time they get a chance to see what they can accomplish in the pursuit of the Stanley Cup which of course no matter what any European hockey fan will tell you is the bigger and more special trophy . It is time for new guys to play at this thing and make their mark.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Yeah, they've proven themselves. Duchene was not particularly good this tournament but his acceptance rate is almost unparalleled in Hockey Canada history. O'Reilly has been a great contributor recently and always pulls his weight. MacKinnon needs to get some quality NHL reps before this Colorado stink taints him. The roster this year was just what I like - young but still good enough to realistically compete. Hope to see something similar next year.

For me, it's now onto the WJC. I've managed to make myself more optimistic for this upcoming tournament than I was a few months ago... hopefully not just based on wishful thinking.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yeah, they've proven themselves. Duchene was not particularly good this tournament but his acceptance rate is almost unparalleled in Hockey Canada history. O'Reilly has been a great contributor recently and always pulls his weight. MacKinnon needs to get some quality NHL reps before this Colorado stink taints him. The roster this year was just what I like - young but still good enough to realistically compete. Hope to see something similar next year.

For me, it's now onto the WJC. I've managed to make myself more optimistic for this upcoming tournament than I was a few months ago... hopefully not just based on wishful thinking.

Any reasons for the optimism?

I doubt even Patrick will be there. Maybe an underdog team and the mentality it can bring is good though?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Any reasons for the optimism?

I doubt even Patrick will be there. Maybe an underdog team and the mentality it can bring is good though?

Even though this is a weak draft, a fair number of Canadians have climbed the rankings in the last few months. It looks better than it did in January. No one other than Finland looks to have a particularly good draft this year, so Canada should have the edge in 18 year olds. 19 year olds aren't that impressive, but we knew that already. Of course, all of this can be mitigated by NHL decisions.

julkki

Oct 27, 2015
Calvin Pickard is brutal.

This comment is like from a standard stupid hockey fan. The only player that one is somewhat capable to follow during the game is the goalie. Well, limited capacity is limited capacity. Pickard didn't lose the game for team Canada.

That was an awesome game that could have ended both ways. Shootouts are the brutal way to end this kind of games.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Even though this is a weak draft, a fair number of Canadians have climbed the rankings in the last few months. It looks better than it did in January. No one other than Finland looks to have a particularly good draft this year, so Canada should have the edge in 18 year olds. 19 year olds aren't that impressive, but we knew that already. Of course, all of this can be mitigated by NHL decisions.

Hart should be back right?

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Yes, as much as I love watching ROR go into beast mode when he puts the Canadian jersey on, as a Sabres fan I'm more than ready to see him in a playoff series.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Canada? 2013 had better top end talent

HMMM

Devan Dubnyk
Mike Smith
Michael Garnett

T.J. Brodie
Brian Campbell
Brenden Dillon
Dan Hamhuis
Jay Harrison
Stéphane Robidas
Luke Schenn
Justin Schultz

Matt Duchene
Jordan Eberle
Claude Giroux
Taylor Hall
Andrew Ladd
Ryan O'Reilly
Matt Read
Jaden Schwartz
Wayne Simmonds
Jeff Skinner
Eric Staal
Jordan Staal
Steven Stamkos

Stamkos13=Marner16
Staal13= Sheifle18
O'Reilly16 better O'Reilly13
Simmonds 16 better Simmonds 13
Skinner 16 better Skinner 13
Dillon =Demers
Lee better L Schenn
Pareyko better Schultz13
Giroux = Giroux
Barrie better Campbell
Point better Read

Same level rosters)

Last edited:

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
That was like...Canada's 'D' team....and they probably should have won Gold still if not for that crappy shootout format. :laugh:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Hart should be back right?

Yep. Goaltending should be fine. Several defencemen back (though I'm hopnig that they seriously consider cutting Bean if he isn't much better) and decent forward depth depending on NHL additions. Michael McLeod really stepped up after the WJC, and Canada should have at least one of Vilardi/Glass, who seem pretty good. I like Suzuki from this draft too. A lot will depend on NHL decisions with regard to Jost and Steel.

HMMM

Devan Dubnyk
Mike Smith
Michael Garnett

T.J. Brodie
Brian Campbell
Brenden Dillon
Dan Hamhuis
Jay Harrison
Stéphane Robidas
Luke Schenn
Justin Schultz

Matt Duchene
Jordan Eberle
Claude Giroux
Taylor Hall
Andrew Ladd
Ryan O'Reilly
Matt Read
Jaden Schwartz
Wayne Simmonds
Jeff Skinner
Eric Staal
Jordan Staal
Steven Stamkos

Stamkos13=Marner16
Staal13= Sheifle18
Dillon =Demers
Lee better L Schenn
Pareyko better Schultz13
Giroux = Giroux
Barrie better Campbell
Point better Read

Same level rosters)

Your comparison is far too selective. In 2013 Canada added Subban for the elimination games, and he was better than any defenceman on the team this year. Barrie isn't worth considering in 2017 due to his injury. Hamhuis was a legitimate top pairing defenceman in 2013. 2013 Stamkos was also definitely better than Marner, and 2013 Giroux was definitely better than 2017 Giroux. Hall was a better scoring winger in 2013 than any winger on the 2017 team, and Eberle has always been good internationally. The 2013 team was comfortably better than the 2017 team. What is annoying though is that they went to the shootout against such a weak Swedish team.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
HMMM

Stamkos13=Marner16
Staal13= Sheifle18
Dillon =Demers
Lee better L Schenn
Pareyko better Schultz13
Giroux = Giroux
Barrie better Campbell
Point better Read

Same level rosters)

Stamkos was the Art Ross runner up, Staal was 6th, Taylor Hall 9th, Giroux 14th, Ladd 19th. Plus Subban who led defencemen in scoring (played the QF)

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
HMMM

Devan Dubnyk
Mike Smith
Michael Garnett

T.J. Brodie
Brian Campbell
Brenden Dillon
Dan Hamhuis
Jay Harrison
Stéphane Robidas
Luke Schenn
Justin Schultz

Matt Duchene
Jordan Eberle
Claude Giroux
Taylor Hall
Andrew Ladd
Ryan O'Reilly
Matt Read
Jaden Schwartz
Wayne Simmonds
Jeff Skinner
Eric Staal
Jordan Staal
Steven Stamkos

Stamkos13=Marner16
Staal13= Sheifle18
Dillon =Demers
Lee better L Schenn
Pareyko better Schultz13
Giroux = Giroux
Barrie better Campbell
Point better Read

Same level rosters)

2013 Giroux was top 3-5 centre in the NHL, today's Giroux is far from this position. Giroux & Stamkos together in 2013 were lethal duo, it is a shame that they lost to Sweden in QF. Giroux&Stamkos formed better line than any of this year's lines. And behind this duo, they had players like Ladd, Hall, Duchene, E. Staal (all of them PPG players back then). O'Reilly, Skinner were already great & established players. Read, J. Staal were great 2-way forwards who were able to significantly contribute offensively. Read had some damn good years in Philly.

Although, defencemen which they selected in 2013.... a lot of them were not ideal fits for large surface...Robidas, Harrison, Schenn, Dillon... neither of them was really able to support forwards in the offensive zone, and they are not fast skaters. Subban played only 1 game back then. It was all on Schultz, Campbell, Brodie & Hamhuis (only 3 games). + Brodie and Schultz were not that great back in 2013, imo. It was somewhat 'questionable defense' and half of this defense, was not good enough for this tournament.

When you look at this year's defense... ALL of them are either great or pretty good & fast skaters. It makes up for big difference on large ice.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
We won silver which is always good. Congrats to the whole team. As to Pickard he had a good tournament, could be another guy who, once he gets out of Colorado, will be a great player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad