Speculation: 2017 TDL/Draft/Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If you include the Fiddler trade, we got a 4th, 6th, and depth defenseman for 3 players who weren't going to be here next year. I'm okay with that.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Shero chat is up on Facebook live now, it was around twenty minutes long.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Shero was brutally honest in his facebook live session. Granted, the questions were biased in his favor, but he didn't have to be as forthcoming s he was.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Please give some summary of that

He said there are no easy shortcuts given the state of the franchise. Team will be largely built through the draft, especially when the old way wasn't working.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I still have no clue how we actually got a 4th for Fiddler, guy lost it.

Nashville doesn't have much depth up the middle and they're familiar with him, so they probably overvalued him. The Preds could potentially have gotten good value with the Parenteau deal though, so it kind of washes out.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
It's time to get better next year. As we both agreed when having this conversation a few days ago.

If we finish in the bottom 3 in goals for and no improvement in points, it's time that Shero needs to start taking at least a little bit of criticism. As I've said, that's still a year away. Not blasting Shero just yet, but there MUST be an improvement in some areas next season.

But icing an awful bottom 6 and more importantly, icing Ben Lovejoy as our #2 next year should not be the goal or an option.

And has there really been a lot of turnover at the bottom of the roster? DSP has been awful this year and will likely be here next year, Josefson will probably be back and get his 49589495th chance to be the 3C. I never complained much about Parenteau and Quincey. Quincey was a #6 defenseman that was used as a #5 at most.

You assume entirely too much. You realize that its March 1st?

You assume that Lovejoy will still be our #2. The chance of that is there, but there's so much that has yet to happen.

You also assume that DSP will be here. Is it a stretch that he gets taken in the ED? Is it a stretch that he is still here but we get a player to play above him? If DSP is on the 4th line, thats hardly anything to get worked up over. He can be effective if hes in the right role. Josefson is a player we probably need to move on just because he can't stay healthy, but he's also cheap and he has shown the ability to be effective. I'd not be disappointed if he's brought back.

There was only so much Shero could do this trade deadline. We didn't have valuable expendable assets. There's still a helluva lot that is happening. This year is a real crapshoot because of the expansion draft. It changes plans and alters business. Our cap space is no joke. There are more opportunities to get players for immediate improvement in the very near future. Many thought we were going to be a potential playoff team this year, it's not happened, but we're not far removed from that analysis with a few moves that are within reach, but we're not in the time period that gives us the best option for that yet.

I do agree that if we're still stagnating a year from now, then maybe Shero deserves to start to feel some heat and have his moves questioned to the Nth degree. Last year was an aberration because so much of what he did worked out. That was never going to happen with every move. We are still in a position to attract UFAs b/c of the financial position we're in, we're likely going to draft a very capable player and if we are in a position to pick in the top 3, that means a guy who could be here immediately and have an impact. This year the emergence of Miles Wood and Jon Merrill seemingly turning a corner CANNOT be discounted moving forward. The expansion draft will open opportunities to poach players cap strapped teams can't afford. There is a lot of options moving forward. Lou left us in a position that was NEVER going to be easy or a quick fix.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I have to listen, but what I'm gathering is Shero doesn't want to brute force this team into the playoffs with the Andrew Ladds of the world. He wants a homegrown team with lots of cheap young talent.

Of course that doesn't mean he won't spend on one or two big UFAs at some point to finish the team off, but he won't go nuts on UFAs to take us off the bubble either from what I gathered.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I have to listen, but what I'm gathering is Shero doesn't want to brute force this team into the playoffs with the Andrew Ladds of the world. He wants a homegrown team with lots of cheap young talent.

Of course that doesn't mean he won't spend on one or two big UFAs at some point to finish the team off, but he won't go nuts on UFAs to take us off the bubble either from what I gathered.

Exactly.

Our youth is what is going to take us to the playoffs, not some veteran UFA that's carrying the team.

I do think the situation is different for the defense though with the lack of quality prospects behind Santini.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Exactly.

Our youth is what is going to take us to the playoffs, not some veteran UFA that's carrying the team.

I do think the situation is different for the defense though with the lack of quality prospects behind Santini.

I agree, but even on D it depends on the player. If you see Shatty as a long term solution, you go after him. But you aren't going to over pay for someone like Alzner.

He isn't going to go fill the roster with expensive plugs. Cheap plugs sure since they are easy to get rid of, but not expensive, immovable contract plugs. I doubt he is a big fan of being stuck with Camm for two more years

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
, but he won't go nuts on UFAs to take us off the bubble either from what I gathered.

Nor should he. That's a recipe for disaster. It didn't even work pre-salary cap and getting in the playoffs for a round or two is silly if we're going to plummet shortly thereafter. Look at us, Detroit, and Colorado in the late 90s/early 00s. Those teams were supplemented with UFAs and strong acquisitions when they had assets to move. Even now, a Cup can't be bought. Sure, you can buy a player who may put you over the top, but the core is always homegrown. We have some strong pieces already in place that need supplementing, not trashed and burned because we're not getting immediate results.

It's more important now to trust the process. Think of this team 2 years ago, compared to now? We're on the right track. Bumps in the road are going to happen and not every move is going to be franchise altering.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I agree, but even on D it depends on the player. If you see Shatty as a long term solution, you go after him. But you aren't going to over pay for someone like Alzner.

He isn't going to go fill the roster with expensive plugs. Cheap plugs sure since they are easy to get rid of, but not expensive, immovable contract plugs. I doubt he is a big fan of being stuck with Camm for two more years

It really depends on the rest of the year and the lottery.

If we fall pretty hard and get lucky in the lottery with a top forward (Hischier/Patrick), I think Shero rolls the dice and aims for the playoffs next year. Not saying sign a guy to a rash long term deal, but look to make add at least one top four defenseman via free agency.

I think if we can another prospect in a "McLeod tier" (which is pretty much everything after probably Middlestadt), I think it'll be another year like this one.

It's coming soon though for Shero to aim at playoffs.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

If we fall pretty hard and get lucky in the lottery with a top forward (Hischier/Patrick), I think Shero rolls the dice and aims for the playoffs next year. Not saying sign a guy to a rash long term deal, but look to make add at least one top four defenseman via free agency.

I think if we can another prospect in a "McLeod tier" (which is pretty much everything after probably Middlestadt), I think it'll be another year like this one.

Even then though it depends. He seems very wary of UFAs and giving out big term. It depends on the player as he didn't seem to have an issue making sure Palms got paid.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ

I don't think our incoming prospect matters that much in terms of his viewpoint on aiming for the playoffs. Taylor Hall has never played in the playoffs and locking him long term matters. All Hall has known his entire career is rebuilding. I think the defenseman add is a necessity regardless and I believe Shero thinks that way as well. If we are able to bring in a Shattenkirk or another quality D-Man that may become available, we will be aiming for the playoffs next year whether its Nolan Patrick or Owen Tippett drafted.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Not the best day Colorado fans.

The uncertainty continues for them.

I don't mind it. Made more sense to wait until the draft when more teams can fit Duchene/Landeskog under the cap. Plus it might help if once they know their draft slot. I imagine they might proceed differently if they know they're getting Patrick/Hischier or if they're getting Liljegren/Vilardi.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Nor should he. That's a recipe for disaster. It didn't even work pre-salary cap and getting in the playoffs for a round or two is silly if we're going to plummet shortly thereafter. Look at us, Detroit, and Colorado in the late 90s/early 00s. Those teams were supplemented with UFAs and strong acquisitions when they had assets to move. Even now, a Cup can't be bought. Sure, you can buy a player who may put you over the top, but the core is always homegrown. We have some strong pieces already in place that need supplementing, not trashed and burned because we're not getting immediate results.

It's more important now to trust the process. Think of this team 2 years ago, compared to now? We're on the right track. Bumps in the road are going to happen and not every move is going to be franchise altering.

Shero has added a lot of good prospects over the last two drafts, and it will make the team much better in the long run.

He is going to have to get creative with the D since we don't have much in the pipe, and they take a long time to develop (something people constantly forget when they throw Severson on the bus). I don't think that means he gets into bidding wars for the Alzners of the world.

Shatty is a different story.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Shero has added a lot of good prospects over the last two drafts, and it will make the team much better in the long run.

He is going to have to get creative with the D since we don't have much in the pipe, and they take a long time to develop (something people constantly forget when they throw Severson on the bus). I don't think that means he gets into bidding wars for the Alzners of the world.

Shatty is a different story.

Again, nor should he. Alzner is a guy who you go for when you're upgrading your 3rd pair, not when your defense is bleeding regardless of pairing. I'm not worried about Severson.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra

He said two years ago was the was not the direction the team needed to go and the past is the past regarding our cup teams and 2012. He told the owners there is no other way to do this, there are no shortcuts, we have to get younger, more assets, and continue building along these lines.

He reiterated that the direction we were going was not the way and we're in a good position now that we're not a team with a bunch of 31, 34 and 35 year olds with only 4 picks heading into the draft anymore. He also said you can't build a team through free agency only supplement it or when you're a player away to make a difference. Continue with developing our young players, accumulating assets and draft picks and take advantage of opportunities when they present them like Hall and Palmieri.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't think our incoming prospect matters that much in terms of his viewpoint on aiming for the playoffs. Taylor Hall has never played in the playoffs and locking him long term matters. All Hall has known his entire career is rebuilding. I think the defenseman add is a necessity regardless and I believe Shero thinks that way as well. If we are able to bring in a Shattenkirk or another quality D-Man that may become available, we will be aiming for the playoffs next year whether its Nolan Patrick or Owen Tippett drafted.

I'm just saying if you have one more solid forward prospect to pull from, it's a lot easier to start adding pieces.

Right now we have Zacha/McLeod as our two dynamic forward prospects going forward; Zacha being in his own tier. There's a decent-sized group of JQ, Blandisi, Wood, Gignac, Bastian, Anderson, Speers that all developing nicely toward middle-six players. The rest I think is more of the whatever we get from them is an added bonus.

If you can add one more guy to that Zacha/McLeod group and one closer to Zacha's level, you're looking at a good combination of quality and quantity there, especially with Hall, Henrique, and Palmieri all 26 and younger. You can look forward and feel comfortable at the guys you have there.

That being said, you look at the defense and there isn't much aside from Rykov. To me, if I'm comfortable about my forward prospects, I'd want to add some stability there rather than just the rotating door of cheap fill-in options like Quincey, Schlemko, Moore, Lovejoy. You'd want to create a defensive group that is reliable behind all your young forward prospects.

I also would say that if Shero decides he's comfortable with the forward group. Then it goes to trying to add reliable depth options on short-term deals like Carolina did with Stempniak. Again, try to get upgrades on the rotating door of waiver fodder forwards Tlusty, Kennedy, Fiddler, Parenteau, etc. Obviously don't go out and sign a guy like Lucic long-term, but I think you look to add a reliable player like Trevor Lewis to stabilize your bottom six or a versatile forward like Jannik Hansen that you can trust moving up and down your line-up. (Neither of these guys are UFAs, but just examples of players).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad