Speculation: 2017 TDL/Draft/Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Wake me when the high priced trash with the NTCs are moved.

Good luck with that when guys like Vanek who had no NTC/no extra years on his contract only fetch a stupid third round pick back. The only good thing about today is this narrative about trading Camm for anything consequential can die now. At this point they're better off keeping him anyway, hoping he rebounds next year THEN considering a trade.

None of the other players with NTC's are 'trash' though.

devlzfan

Aug 28, 2007
Farmingdale, NY
I always remember the Nieuwendyk/Langenbrunner for Arnott/McKay trade not being announced until about 4:30. Somehow I don't think we're looking at that this year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I always remember the Nieuwendyk/Langenbrunner for Arnott/McKay trade not being announced until about 4:30. Somehow I don't think we're looking at that this year.

Well with Twitter and social media getting the word out quicker I don't think there'll be any 4:30-5 PM outstanding deals anymore. You're not calling the league office phone and waiting for an all clear.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Good luck with that when guys like Vanek who had no NTC/no extra years on his contract only fetch a stupid third round pick back. The only good thing about today is this narrative about trading Camm for anything consequential can die now. At this point they're better off keeping him anyway, hoping he rebounds next year THEN considering a trade.

None of the other players with NTC's are 'trash' though.

Yep, this hopefully puts to bed any delusions of grandeur about Cammalleri fetching anything of merit anytime soon, at least not this year with this damn expansion draft.

Face it, this team has VERY FEW expendable parts at the moment. Most of the players being talked about in fantasy trade proposals are more valuable to us than another 3rd round pick. We're still in a great position in respect to cap space that will allow us to be big time players in the offseason and we still have a chance of securing a special player especially if we win one of the top 3 picks in the lottery. There's a lot to be optimistic about even if the team is garbage right now.

There's no reason to think that Cammalleri is absolutely finished. He could be, but he could also bounce back. This entire team is largely having a bad year.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Don't get why people are upset. Its hard to get assets when you have none to give. Pareanteau and Quincey are whatevers. And obviously mangement is rather indifferent about Scarlett. Also remember there was a pretty nifty handicap on Parenteau with the waiver dealio.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
pap trade……meh, whatever…

quincey trade…..why take on the extra year of contract…unless this guy is a pick up for the e-draft

iginla trade…..i can imagine him agreeing to waive his ntc only to hear from sakic….ugh…..nobody wants you, the best we can do is a bubble kings team

so much for his cup chase dreams…….long shot vs no shot in colorado i guess

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I was just telling my coworker about that one.

I was set to graduate college in 2002 and I was planning on getting myself an Arnott jersey as a gift to myself. Deadline passed and then that trade got announced. The internet wasn't what it was now and there seemed to be some confusion about it. I remember there was some speculation that it might not have made the cut off.

I was in a computer lab doing a group project and was completely worthless the rest of that day. That trade was like a punch to the stomach.

I always did want that jersey though, and got it for myself a couple Xmas's ago.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I'm going to assume they're done and no one's telling us that. Anyway, a bit of a disappointment, but I never expected much for Parenteau. Prout is better than he appears but still seems like a 7th D on a team that already has 3 of those. With Scarlett gone and I assume that Mozik will probably go elsewhere this off-season, the Devils did need to beef up their right side depth, but Prout's expensive for what he brings, which isn't much - the only advantage to him is that his deal is over next season.

Helgeson going to Albany is a win and hopefully he's played his last game as a Devil. I like losing as much as anyone but at some point you have to stop using players who definitely can't play at the NHL level.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
I'm going to assume they're done and no one's telling us that. Anyway, a bit of a disappointment, but I never expected much for Parenteau. Prout is better than he appears but still seems like a 7th D on a team that already has 3 of those. With Scarlett gone and I assume that Mozik will probably go elsewhere this off-season, the Devils did need to beef up their right side depth, but Prout's expensive for what he brings, which isn't much - the only advantage to him is that his deal is over next season.

Helgeson going to Albany is a win and hopefully he's played his last game as a Devil. I like losing as much as anyone but at some point you have to stop using players who definitely can't play at the NHL level.

The pro scouts had to see something in Prout to be alright with getting him over a pick.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
@NJDevils now5 seconds ago
More
We'll have no other transactions for the day. Stay tuned for a 5:30PM @facebook Live with #NJDevils GM Ray Shero! #NHLTradeDeadline

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I think people were hoping for something positive and hoping some GM was going to do something stupid and take Cammy for a first...

In reality, Shero has 10 picks in 2016 and he's positioned the Devils to protect the right people in expansion.

At this point, with the season lost, I'm more interested in seeing Miles make improvements, seeing Coleman get a run of games, and seeing Santini develop.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Which is why I'm skeptical that Hynes and Shero really care that much about a possession game, especially Hynes. Their usage of Moore, Lovejoy and even calling Helgeson up for more than a practice, really has me skeptical that a possession game is a priority to Hynes. Combine Kalinin taking 70% of his starts in the D zone and then using DSP (a horrendous defensive player) in some questionable situations upon the departure of Kalinin.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Which is why I'm skeptical that Hynes and Shero really care that much about a possession game, especially Hynes. Their usage of Moore, Lovejoy and even calling Helgeson up for more than a practice, really has me skeptical that a possession game is a priority to Hynes. Combine Kalinin taking 70% of his starts in the D zone and then using DSP (a horrendous defensive player) in some questionable situations upon the departure of Kalinin.

You keep harping on this, but Helgeson had a one-way contract this year and so far he's played 121 minutes at the NHL level. You make it sound like they try to get him in the lineup all the time but the reverse is true - they called up people and played those people over him. Excited to find out who you complain about for 500 posts next season though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You keep harping on this, but Helgeson had a one-way contract this year and so far he's played 121 minutes at the NHL level. You make it sound like they try to get him in the lineup all the time but the reverse is true - they called up people and played those people over him. Excited to find out who you complain about for 500 posts next season though.

You just said so yourself, at some point you have to stop using players who definitely can't play at the NHL level....

You can't tell me any of the players I complain about are good, especially when you just complained about Helgeson yourself and hoped he's played his last game as a Devil.

And since he's only played 121 minutes, why are you so happy that he was sent back to Albany anyway?

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Honestly the Prout acquisition isn't anything to get upset about, his salary is insignificant and he's going to be the 7th/8th choice defender. I'd rather someone like Prout be a healthy scratch 50+ times a year than a prospect who actually needs playing time to continue their development.

He'll probably end up on waivers at some point next season anyway.

It clearly wasn't a strong selling market; Parenteau and Fiddler may have only brought back a 4th and a 6th, which on paper is nothing to get excited about, but let's not forget that our 5th round pick in last years draft (Rykov) now looks to be one of our most promising defensive prospects.

It never hurts to have a few more rolls of the dice, this years draft is only 'weak' in the sense that the top of the first round doesn't contain any sure fire elite talents (unlike the previous drafts with Matthews, McDavid, Eichel) other than that it's no stronger or weaker than any other year, there's going to be plenty of interesting players available in rounds 2-7, so hopefully Shero & Castron can have another strong draft.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
At the very least Prout gives us an extra RHD, so if one of the others gets hurt, we don't have to force a LHD to play the right side.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
You just said so yourself, at some point you have to stop using players who definitely can't play at the NHL level....

You can't tell me any of the players I complain about are good, especially when you just complained about Helgeson yourself and hoped he's played his last game as a Devil.

And since he's only played 121 minutes, why are you so happy that he was sent back to Albany anyway?

I'm not using Helgeson's position as the 10th man on the depth chart to promote the idea that the Devils don't care about possession. Either way, it's an exciting time, lot of turnover at the bottom of the roster - which guy will it be next season?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not using Helgeson's position as the 10th man on the depth chart to promote the idea that the Devils don't care about possession. Either way, it's an exciting time, lot of turnover at the bottom of the roster - which guy will it be next season?
It's time to get better next year. As we both agreed when having this conversation a few days ago.

If we finish in the bottom 3 in goals for and no improvement in points, it's time that Shero needs to start taking at least a little bit of criticism. As I've said, that's still a year away. Not blasting Shero just yet, but there MUST be an improvement in some areas next season.

But icing an awful bottom 6 and more importantly, icing Ben Lovejoy as our #2 next year should not be the goal or an option.

And has there really been a lot of turnover at the bottom of the roster? DSP has been awful this year and will likely be here next year, Josefson will probably be back and get his 49589495th chance to be the 3C. I never complained much about Parenteau and Quincey. Quincey was a #6 defenseman that was used as a #5 at most.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad