Celtics/NBA 2023-2024 NBA Playoffs: Round 3 - (1) Boston vs (6) Indiana

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
The reason he gets very little credit is because he's coaching one of the most stacked rosters the league has had since Durant left the Warriors and they keep losing games in the same way. I don't blame Mazzulla for the crunch time scoring problems but the rest is a coaching problem. Even the national media doesn't give him a lot of credit.

It's not just that they sometimes lose when teams get hot. Since Mazzulla became coach, they basically lose once every 2-3 games in the playoffs because his defense stinks at defending the perimeter even though he's had some of the best defensive guards and wings in the entire league on his roster. 27 playoff games he's coached, 11 losses and teams shooting 46% from 3 in those 11 losses. That's really bad.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I don't expect them to lose this series. I blame the coach for not changing up the game strategy from 3s to more FG. That said, the Celtics' defense was not good, and again, I can say that Tatum struggled to score. Yes, all Celtic players struggled, not named Pritchard, with the FGs, forget scoring the 3s, and yes, they had a good night from the FT line. So, no defense and scoring trouble spells loss. Is it going to happen again, probably but it better not happen more that twice a round—Celtics in 6.

Reactions: shelbysdad

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The reason he gets very little credit is because he's coaching one of the most stacked rosters the league has had since Durant left the Warriors and they keep losing games in the same way. I don't blame Mazzulla for the crunch time scoring problems but the rest is a coaching problem. Even the national media doesn't give him a lot of credit.

It's not just that they sometimes lose when teams get hot. Since Mazzulla became coach, they basically lose once every 2-3 games in the playoffs because his defense stinks at defending the perimeter even though he's had some of the best defensive guards and wings in the entire league on his roster. 27 playoff games he's coached, 11 losses and teams shooting 46% from 3 in those 11 losses. That's really bad.
Wow it’s crazy that the other team has good shooting stats in the games they won!!! Wow!!! What do the opponent shooting numbers look like in their wins + overall over that stretch?

And again zero credit for the development of guys under his watch, zero credit for any wins, all the blame when they lose. Simply put it is silly, you can excuse it all you want but that’s just what it is. It’s unfair. Wow they give up 3’s when they lose, just like every other team in the league. Great! Thats the game these days! Do you act surprised when teams blow 10 point leads in half the games played on any given night too? Losses in the NBA are on the players and it’s usually on your star players specifically.

For the record winning 60% of your games against playoff teams is actually good

Last edited:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I don't expect them to lose this series. I blame the coach for not changing up the game strategy from 3s to more FG. That said, the Celtics' defense was not good, and again, I can say that Tatum struggled to score. Yes, all Celtic players struggled, not named Pritchard, with the FGs, forget scoring the 3s, and yes, they had a good night from the FT line. So, no defense and scoring trouble spells loss. Is it going to happen again, probably but it better not happen more that twice a round—Celtics in 6.

They seem to lose like that every year the whole Tatum and Brown era.

Reactions: Maine Fan

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
Wow it’s crazy that the other team has good shooting stats in the games they won!!! Wow!!! What do the opponent shooting numbers look like in their wins + overall over that stretch?

And again zero credit for the development of guys under his watch, zero credit for any wins, all the blame when they lose. Simply put it is silly, you can excuse it all you want but that’s just what it is. It’s unfair. Wow they give up 3’s when they lose, just like every other team in the league. Great! Thats the game these days! Do you act surprised when teams blow 10 point leads in half the games played on any given night too? Losses in the NBA are on the players and it’s usually on your star players specifically.

For the record winning 60% of your games against playoff teams is actually good
I am old & I need a banner for my peace of mind...lol

Reactions: Maine Fan and CDJ

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Tatum has played well even when his shot isn't falling but i liked how aggressive he was tonight. Brown also had a sneaky game, felt like he was quiet but he dropped 28 and only missed four shots all night.

I give Mazzulla a lot of shit but he's right about the way fans and the media treat Tatum. Guys like Shai or Edwards are the shiny new toys and people seem to forget that Tatum is better than both of them. I really like Anthony Edwards but some of overreaction to him is insane, prisoner of the moment stuff and for some reason Tatum has to get torn down and mentality questioned to prop up Edwards as this alpha.

Reactions: pgm16 and CDJ

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Good news is that although he made zero in-game adjustments in two straight game 2 debacles, Joe Mazz has had answers in the subsequent game 3s.

Big improvement over last year. At this pace by year four his stubbornness will have abated enough for him to make adjustments in the first half of games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad