2017 qmjhl draft

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Question for Mark, or Jerome, or whomever would like to give some insight:

How does what Lafreniere is doing so far this year compare to #1 picks in the last number of years? His current ppg as a U16 player in QMAAA is 4th all-time behind Lemieux, Daigle and Turgeon so is he one of the best we've seen coming out of the province at this age?

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Question for Mark, or Jerome, or whomever would like to give some insight:

How does what Lafreniere is doing so far this year compare to #1 picks in the last number of years? His current ppg as a U16 player in QMAAA is 4th all-time behind Lemieux, Daigle and Turgeon so is he one of the best we've seen coming out of the province at this age?

He's the best prospect that i scouted in midget since i start with HP in 2012-2013. His PPG is insane compared to those guys when you think of the era those guys played back then when there was a lot more goals scored. If you get a chance to see St-Eustache play go for it, there fun to watch. Gatineau tournament will be streamed all week long on the league site and rds.ca i believe.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
He's the best prospect that i scouted in midget since i start with HP in 2012-2013. His PPG is insane compared to those guys when you think of the era those guys played back then when there was a lot more goals scored. If you get a chance to see St-Eustache play go for it, there fun to watch. Gatineau tournament will be streamed all week long on the league site and rds.ca i believe.

Awesome, thanks for the info I'll definitely be checking it out. Haven't had a chance to see a full game of his yet so it'll be great to see him in action.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
How did the Atlantic prospects compare to the Quebec prospects in Gatineau?

Cole Harbour had a real tough time at the tournament, doesn't change much in regards to Peach and Francis. Both good players.

Valley didn't have much outside of Gallant, their games in the tournament were not pretty.

Saint-John team wise didn't had lot of success but Bellamy and Johnston did well imo.

Moncton did well, gave everything they had vs a good CEB team on friday just to lose in the last minute of the game. They work hard and it showed giving fits to some of those Quebec teams. Stewart, Jacob and MacIntosh all had good moments during the tournament.

I'll have more in our tournament report

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
TR Win Challenge again . Best coaching staff in this league . Frederic Lavoie is a fantastic coach . I think HQ and HC love him .

Great class for foward . Yes Lafrenière is WOW . This kid have 53 pts in 23 game , and is a late , not a player born in first month of the year . Is young and he have also the size . Too fast for Midget . His skilzpackage is full , great vision and some ability to score too .

nbhockey21

Dec 3, 2016
Thanks for the thoughts about the players. when does the first full list for the Q come out?

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
I think hockeyprospect make a top 25 after the competition with Team QC U16 , so after christmas . Complete list by HP and CSR are before draft

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Thanks for the thoughts about the players. when does the first full list for the Q come out?

First list with Quebec and Atlantic kids will come out next week (Top-50), it was supposed to be this week but with the LHPS all star game this weekend and the Bishop School College showcase we decided to wait until next week to get extra viewings on some kids we saw less this year.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
December top-50 is out https://www.hockeyprospect.com/2017-qmjhl-draft-december-top-50-rankings/

RANK PLAYER POS HEIGHT/WEIGHT TEAM LEAGUE
1 Alexis Lafreniere F 6'0" 169 St-Eustache LHMAAAQ
2 Samuel Poulin F 6'0" 180 College Esther-Blondin LHMAAAQ
3 Jaxon Bellamy D 6'3" 176 Saint John NBPEIMMHL
4 Jakob Pelletier F 5'8" 147 Seminaire St-Francois LHMAAAQ
5 Xavier Parent F 5'8" 156 College Esther-Blondin LHMAAAQ
6 Alex Newhook C 5'11" 170 York Simcoe Express ETA-Ontario
7 Justin Barron D 6'1" 179 Halifax NSMMHL
8 Christopher Merisier-Ortiz D 5'10" 155 St-Eustache LHMAAAQ
9 Bailey Peach RW 5'10" 160 Cole Harbour NSMMHL
10 Jeremy Jacques D 6'0" 171 Magog LHMAAAQ

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Is Dawson Mercer unranked because of lack of viewings, or is he just not a top 50 prospect in your eyes?

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Is Dawson Mercer unranked because of lack of viewings, or is he just not a top 50 prospect in your eyes?

A bit of both i would say at this moment, prep kids in Canada are a bit tougher to evaluate. Level of competition is not the best and when i saw Mercer he didn't dominate. However he did really well at the Saint-John showcase in October per one of our Atlantic scout so he's in a wait and see approach right now. Biggest event for him in my opinion will be the Gatorade challenge where he will played for his home province.

nbhockey21

Dec 3, 2016
A bit of both i would say at this moment, prep kids in Canada are a bit tougher to evaluate. Level of competition is not the best and when i saw Mercer he didn't dominate. However he did really well at the Saint-John showcase in October per one of our Atlantic scout so he's in a wait and see approach right now. Biggest event for him in my opinion will be the Gatorade challenge where he will played for his home province.

when you are looking at the kids that are 20-35 are they all close in level? where does it start to separate?

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
when you are looking at the kids that are 20-35 are they all close in level? where does it start to separate?

sorry it took so long to reply, i was in world junior mode for the past 2 weeks. What i can say amongst our staff, it started to varies from scouts around after the top-15. Each of our scouts had mostly the same players in the top-15 (in different order though). And yes kids from the 20-35 range are close, one team could have x player 35 and another team has him 20. it's usually the same thing every year.

For those with subscriptions with us, our report for the Gatineau tournament was published today, 94 players are profiled in the recap. https://www.hockeyprospect.com/2017-qmjhl-draft-recap-of-the-2016-ccm-challenge/

mkBruinsfan

Nov 1, 2016
Thoughts on Josh Farmer? Heard great things about the kid. Outstanding attitude, great hands, and comes from a great family. Can't see this guy being missed in the top 10.

- Gio

I don't mean to be rude, but just trying to be realistic, you just can't be serious saying a top 10 player? I've watched a few games most recently against the st johns maple leafs and he is not a notable player, some players have different play styles and points are not everything but even as a support player 0g in 2a in 28 games just don't cut it. He probably will not get get drafted. The most realistic expectation is just to encourage the player to continue to play, work hard and develop as a player.

Jordan Belfort

Jan 13, 2016
Anaheim CA
Anyone heard of Andy Dufresne? Heard a lot about him...very skilled apparently. Haven't seen him
Live though.

Last edited:

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Anyone heard of Andy Dufresne? Heard a lot about him...very skilled apparently. Haven't seen him
Live though.

I haven't seen him play hockey but I'm pretty sure he served time in Shawshank Prison and was close friends with someone named Red.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad