2017 qmjhl draft

mkBruinsfan

Nov 1, 2016
Put this in another threat but probably belongs here better, just someone's insight on the NFLD players for this years draft.

Someone posted this on the :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:. I have it copy and pasted down below. Any thoughts on these NL guys? 4 st johns leafs players are listed there and to me it makes some sense. The SJML is a top team in the Atlantic region and beat cpw 4-1 and gave moncton a 6-4 game which they probably should have won except a few crappy goals against. And these teams have a good amount of already drafted players and some high end rated guys for this years draft yet the leafs have 1 drafted guy, just wondering who you have ranked from them.

As I said before I recently moved to NL so I've seen a lot of the guys from there, after the atlantics I feel comfortable of the guys who I think will get drafted this year from there, I think it's going to be a very good year from NL I know they had like 10 guys drafted in 2013? I think so I'm actually expecting slightly more.

1.Alex Newhook -if he goes
2. Brett Budgell
3. Dawson Mercer
4. Brendan McCarthy 5'11 155
5. Kyle Petten 5'7 1/2' 168
6. Mark Rumsey 6'0 190
7. Greg Kehoe 5'10 140
8. Kent Gillingham 5'9 1/2' 185
9. Tim Noble 6'3 170
10. Jack Keough 6'0 180
11. Michael Oliver 6'2 165
12. Andrew Rose 6'2 175

on the fringe : Reagen Seymour

Noble and Rose were big Risers in the atlantics for me, Gillingham had apparently decided to play through a bad hand injury therefore I'm not counting the atlantics for or against him, So I keep him where I had him entering the tournament.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
1. Rimouski
2. Sherbrooke
3. Moncton
4. Halifax
5. Val-d'Or

Anyone want to take a stab at a quick mock draft for the order we have now?

Edit:

I'll give the top 5 a try and would like some input from those who have followed a bit more than I have this year:

Rimouski - Alexis Lafreniere
Sherbrooke - Samuel Poulin
Moncton - Jakob Pelletier
Halifax - Xavier Parent
Val d'Or - Jaxon Bellamy

Sidekick

Mar 20, 2013
Wait, the Q puts playoff teams in the draft lottery with non-playoff teams? that's ridiculous.

You should either get the benefit of playoffs (young guys getting experience, 2 or 3 extra home gates) or you should get a 1 in 2 shot at the first pick.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Wait, the Q puts playoff teams in the draft lottery with non-playoff teams? that's ridiculous.

You should either get the benefit of playoffs (young guys getting experience, 2 or 3 extra home gates) or you should get a 1 in 2 shot at the first pick.

Thats how its been for years, but i'm glad they changed it. It deters teams like Moncton from being the embarrassment of the league

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
1. Rimouski
2. Sherbrooke
3. Moncton
4. Halifax
5. Val-d'Or

Anyone want to take a stab at a quick mock draft for the order we have now?

Edit:

I'll give the top 5 a try and would like some input from those who have followed a bit more than I have this year:

Rimouski - Alexis Lafreniere
Sherbrooke - Samuel Poulin
Moncton - Jakob Pelletier
Halifax - Xavier Parent
Val d'Or - Jaxon Bellamy

1 and 2 are as good as gold in my opinion.

I think Moncton grabs the NB D-man Bellamy myself.

And I think HFX probably goes forward too. With Nico probably not coming back, Fortier will be gone by the time they go for the mem cup. All they'll really have is Groulx, Durandeau as top 6 guys in my opinion. They could use another top forward.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
1 and 2 are as good as gold in my opinion.

I think Moncton grabs the NB D-man Bellamy myself.

And I think HFX probably goes forward too. With Nico probably not coming back, Fortier will be gone by the time they go for the mem cup. All they'll really have is Groulx, Durandeau as top 6 guys in my opinion. They could use another top forward.

Yeah I could see Moncton taking Bellamy. Not sure who I'd want out of Pelletier or Parent, might lean toward Pelletier.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Is Newhook for sure going NCAA? Or is he another Bowers situation where he'll only go to a few teams?

Cause I could see Hali trying to woo him into coming to the Q

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

It really is a poor system when you only have two teams missing the playoff

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Is Newhook for sure going NCAA? Or is he another Bowers situation where he'll only go to a few teams?

Fairly certain he's pretty set on NCAA. If Cam works his voodoo and convince him then he'd be the guy I want at 4th overall.

Sidekick

Mar 20, 2013

Why?
It's a development league, it's good to have as many players as possible play in different situations (reg. season, playoffs)

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

There are 18 teams and they have to play four rounds of playoffs. (18-2) / 4... That's simple math.

Also, playoffs mean more money for teams and more experience for young players.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

If they aren't sure with Newhook, they'll still have Parent and/or Pelletier as options. Both are better than Groulx or Durandeau.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
If they aren't sure with Newhook, they'll still have Parent and/or Pelletier as options. Both are better than Groulx or Durandeau.

Durandeau I agree with, I don't think either are better than Groulx. They may go on to put up slightly better numbers in their Q careers, that's certainly possible, but I don't think they project to be better players overall.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
There are 18 teams and they have to play four rounds of playoffs. (18-2) / 4... That's simple math.

Also, playoffs mean more money for teams and more experience for young players.

I understand that I am talking about the lottery. Should just be a flip of the coin like it used to be. Not sure why they had to complicate it. Tanking is just a way of life in the CHL.

BillionGates

Apr 18, 2017
Canada

From what I understand he is going to be in the USHL next year. I would be extremely surprised if Halifax or any team can convince him. A simple Shane Bowers situation all over again. It's becoming a huge trend for Altantic Canadians to jump ship to the NCAA and it's only going to continue to grow.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
From what I understand he is going to be in the USHL next year. I would be extremely surprised if Halifax or any team can convince him. A simple Shane Bowers situation all over again. It's becoming a huge trend for Altantic Canadians to jump ship to the NCAA and it's only going to continue to grow.

He committed to a BCHL team, why would he go to the USHL?

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

Its like Bowers situation, except Bowers said he wouldve came to the Q if drafted by Halifax or Saint John.

And like another poster said he is commited to the BCHL not USHL

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
Why?
It's a development league, it's good to have as many players as possible play in different situations (reg. season, playoffs)

It's anything but a development league. They bench the bottom 6 or the bottom 3 almost every game. You cannot develop if you only play 5 minutes a game.

Cutting the bench during playoffs is fine, but not in the regular season.

Midget AAA is the same mentality with some regions.

BillionGates

Apr 18, 2017
Canada
He committed to a BCHL team, why would he go to the USHL?

Sorry. The Victoria Grizzlies of the BCHL. I thought you needed residence of the province you wish to play for in the CJHL before age 18? They must have mixed in some type of deal to convince him to play there ---- it seems like an odd place for BU to send their players, when the majority of them are NTDP or USHL.. I would have thought penticton or chilliwack could convince him, not that I hate Victoria at all..... it's beautiful ❤️

Why would he go to the USHL you ask... because it's a great league and better than the BCHL. Can't really argue that if you look at their commitment rates and NHL draft picks.

BillionGates

Apr 18, 2017
Canada
Its like Bowers situation, except Bowers said he wouldve came to the Q if drafted by Halifax or Saint John.

And like another poster said he is commited to the BCHL not USHL

Good point. Ironically Bowers actually reentered the draft in 2016 and was taken 2nd round by Saint John. Too bad because by then he was probably set on NCAA route and familiar with Waterloo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->