D Justin Barron (Halifax Macs) 1-4-5 in 9gms

G Nolan Boyd (Dartmouth Steele) 2.48 GAA .920 SV%

G Stewart Bagnell (Dartmouth Steele) 2.00 GAA .930 SV%

F Gavin Hart (Pictou Weeks) 6-5-11 in 11gms

D Hunter Martin (Pictou Weeks) 0-5-5 in 9gms

wein

Jul 2, 2013
Teams that have a good chance to pick early are

Baie-Comeau with their own 1st, they also have Gatineau's 1st but GAT won't finish at the bottom of the standings.
Blainville-Boisbriand has Sherbrooke's 1st. Sherbrooke should finish at the bottom.
Drummondville has its own pick and Quebec's so they have a really good chance to get two early picks.
Rimouski has 3 1st, their own, Victoriaville's and Cape Breton's. If Dubois doesn't return to CB, it should be a nice pick for Rimouski.
Halifax has its own pick.

So far the two worst teams are Moncton and Gatineau. So who is the presumptive first overall pick right now? Is it Parent, Poulin or someone else?

talentfinder

Nov 1, 2016
Alexis Lafreniere could challenge the top 3 , averaging 2.70ppg right now in bantam AAA. St-Eustache will be fun to watch next season. His teammate Legare is really good too, they usually play on the same line. Both top scorers in the LHEQ.

I think Newhook Budgell and Mercer could all be easily in the top 10, newhook is a pure scorer , Budgell has complete 200 ft game with Hockey IQ that is off the charts. Mercer is skilled and very smart and can fly. I watch a lot of NS hockey and these three are better than anything we have to offer here

mkBruinsfan

Nov 1, 2016
Anyone have any input on the newfs after the monctonian? Brendan McCarthy from the blizzards had a good step in his game , only other think I noticed is that Tim Noble Jack Keough and Kent Gillingham all looked a lot better than the other 2000 born drafted newfies that were there.

twhit46

Feb 25, 2015
BAR + MTL
I do a lot of Q-Area games, and I've been back to Ontario to see Newhook. Verbally committed to Boston College a few days ago, but he has a legit top-10 skill set.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Atlantic rankings are out on the site, top 5 for free and top 25 for subscribers

https://www.hockeyprospect.com/2017-qmjhl-draft-top-25-atlantic-region-prospect-rankings/

Do you think QMJHL is starting to worry that so many of Atlantic Canada's top prospects are heading towards USA/NCAA routes?

'97s lost Cam Lee
'98s lost Michael O'Leary & Morgan Barron
'99s lost Shane Bowers & Adam Dawe
He's technically OHL property but a Nova Scotian nonetheless, '00 Wyllum Deveaux and Peter Diliberatore is committed to Quinnipiac & Nick Abbott to Canisius.
'01 lost Newhook and Budgell is rumored to be NCAA bound. You also have Lynden Breen committed to Maine, Ethan Phillips committed to Quinnipiac
'02 is likely to lose Jacob Quillan

Super early but indications have been that Joshua Lawrence (02) and Peter Reynolds (03) are both looking NCAA as they both ply their trade in USA Prep Schools.

I don't remember NCAA pushing this hard for Atlantic Canadians and I don't remember this many Atlantic Canadians leaving

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Do you think QMJHL is starting to worry that so many of Atlantic Canada's top prospects are heading towards USA/NCAA routes?

'97s lost Cam Lee
'98s lost Michael O'Leary & Morgan Barron
'99s lost Shane Bowers & Adam Dawe
He's technically OHL property but a Nova Scotian nonetheless, '00 Wyllum Deveaux and Peter Diliberatore is committed to Quinnipiac & Nick Abbott to Canisius.
'01 lost Newhook and Budgell is rumored to be NCAA bound. You also have Lynden Breen committed to Maine, Ethan Phillips committed to Quinnipiac
'02 is likely to lose Jacob Quillan

Super early but indications have been that Joshua Lawrence (02) and Peter Reynolds (03) are both looking NCAA as they both ply their trade in USA Prep Schools.

I don't remember NCAA pushing this hard for Atlantic Canadians and I don't remember this many Atlantic Canadians leaving

It slowly becoming a trend in Atlantic Canada, i think the league should be worried a bit by it. The Q doesn't have the depth of WHL or OHL, when they lose a top talent like Bowers or possibly Newhook / Budgell it hurt the league more compared to OHL or WHL.

Another trend is kids from Atlantic Canada leaving early to play prep/midget outside of the province, Newfoundland has been hurt a lot by this.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
It slowly becoming a trend in Atlantic Canada, i think the league should be worried a bit by it. The Q doesn't have the depth of WHL or OHL, when they lose a top talent like Bowers or possibly Newhook / Budgell it hurt the league more compared to OHL or WHL.

Another trend is kids from Atlantic Canada leaving early to play prep/midget outside of the province, Newfoundland has been hurt a lot by this.

Do you have any idea what the driving force is behind these trends?

Immediately I would think that the language barrier would have kids wanting to avoid Quebec just like some Quebec based kids don't want to move to Atlantic Canada but it seems like a lot of the kids I named were drafted by Atlantic Canadian teams.

Then I remember hearing a while back that some Quebec-based teams were scraping their Atlantic Canadian scouts and basing their Atlantic recruiting just off the showcase tournaments like the Monctonian or Gatorade Challenge. I don't know how true that is though.

What I'm left thinking is that maybe Maritimers are starting to see the USHL/NCAA route as a better option than the Q? :cry:

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Do you have any idea what the driving force is behind these trends?

Immediately I would think that the language barrier would have kids wanting to avoid Quebec just like some Quebec based kids don't want to move to Atlantic Canada but it seems like a lot of the kids I named were drafted by Atlantic Canadian teams.

Then I remember hearing a while back that some Quebec-based teams were scraping their Atlantic Canadian scouts and basing their Atlantic recruiting just off the showcase tournaments like the Monctonian or Gatorade Challenge. I don't know how true that is though.

What I'm left thinking is that maybe Maritimers are starting to see the USHL/NCAA route as a better option than the Q? :cry:

The level of play for sure. If you were say a top 10 player in Canada but came from an Atlantic province, you'd probably rather a higher level of competition. As good as the competition as gotten out east it still isn't on par with Prep school or Ontario etc.

Some other examples of players leaving young in the past are Brad Richards, Brandon Gormley, and Liam O'brien to go out west to prep school. All returned to the Q but could have easily chosen the NCAA route.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
The level of play for sure. If you were say a top 10 player in Canada but came from an Atlantic province, you'd probably rather a higher level of competition. As good as the competition as gotten out east it still isn't on par with Prep school or Ontario etc.

Some other examples of players leaving young in the past are Brad Richards, Brandon Gormley, and Liam O'brien to go out west to prep school. All returned to the Q but could have easily chosen the NCAA route.

You're right, top players leaving for prep schools has been common for quite a while, add Crosby and MacKinnon to your list. The difference now, those top players are committing to NCAA programs.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
You're right, top players leaving for prep schools has been common for quite a while, add Crosby and MacKinnon to your list. The difference now, those top players are committing to NCAA programs.

I was using examples of guys who stayed in country, but yeah if we add the states the list grows even bigger. Josh Lawrence, the highly touted '02 NB prospect is now playing in the states as well.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
I watch Clarke and Kehoe win the irving cup last year and don't make your list, they are top defenders and should be 1st rounders

You're entitiled to your opinion and while we respect it , we've fared well trusting our scouts over the years. We were told on these same boards how dumb we were ranking Sam Girard where we did. He was invited to team Canada camp today.

Last edited:

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
We released our Midget espoir rankings post La Baie tournament this week (Top 5 for free and the rest is for subscribers)

https://www.hockeyprospect.com/2017-qmjhl-draft-midget-espoir-top-25-rankings/

1 William Rouleau F 5’10†148 Typhons Quebec
2 Olivier Tremblay D 6’2″ 172 College Francais Rive Sud
3 Danny Dio Ciccarello F 5’11†180 Lac St-Louis Tigers
4 Felix-Olivier Chouinard D 5’10†159 Cyclones Quebec
5 Tommy Dumont F 5’7″ 150 Beauce-Appalaches

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
I watch Clarke and Kehoe win the irving cup last year and don't make your list, they are top defenders and should be 1st rounders

I really like Kehoe as well but lets be serious, he's not first round material, especially in the company of the top quebec kids and some of the top defenders like Bellamy and Barron just to name 2 and those two might not even go in the first round.

And if my math is good, the top 25 Atlantic picks would be --about-- the 6th round so its just the top of the list.

Kehoe will likely get drafted, i just think that the top 5 rounds might not be where he's at, and yet its early really, lots of hockey for those guys to play yet and prove themselves, no great player will go unnoticed by anyone. If you really like his play go support his team at the rink and cheer him and his teammates on.

I dont subscribe to that list so I cant say if its accurate or not but in general those guys seem to know who the top guys are with pretty good consistency so it would be very strange to miss on Kehoe like that.

nbhockey21

Dec 3, 2016
Dec7th

Everyone will know where the kids stand after Gatineau.. the scouts will see both Atlantic and Quebec together.

nbhockey21

Dec 3, 2016
In NB the top kids are
Forwards. Defence
Stewart. Hebert
Breen
Jacob. Belemay
Mactonish

mkBruinsfan

Nov 1, 2016
After watching some nlmmhl games the only notables i really see from NL still currently playing in NL in no specific order are

Brendan Mccarthy
Tim Noble
Jack Keough
Kent Gillingham
Greg Kehoe
Kyle Petten
Drew Bennet
Riley Petten

I know I included four 00's but I think they have been better than half already drafted from what I have seen so far in the atlantics and probably have decent shots at going middle to late rounds. As for 01's Brendan McCarthy From the blizzard I think should be a 4-6 round pick and Riley Petten has impressed me in net, though small with a bad record I have seen a few games where he has been absolutely peppered with 50-60 shots and giving up around 4 goals a game.

nbhockey21

Dec 3, 2016
Here is my take I have coached or coached against these kids

Potential 1st rounders from the maritimes are

Newhook
Budegell
Breen
Peach
C Stewart
Barron

And speaking with scouts it depends on where they want to go..college or Q that will move kids up or down

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00