Speculation: 2017 Offseason Thread - Part II: Drafts Galore

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I have a feeing Dallas is trying hard to get Hamonic...no rumors or anything, just a feeling in my gut.

Price is high, and Isles are clearly in win-now mode. I don't know what win-now piece Dallas could offer among their forward group unless it was maybe Spezza with money retained. Now, don't think Hamonic is worth Spezza. He's just really the only piece I could see as useful to Isles to win now.

These two don't feel like good trade partners. Probably need a 3rd team involved, and that's rare.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

If this is accurate, are they looking for a LD for Honka? Maybe they were fine with Lindell-Klingberg ...

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Josh Bogorad on BAD Radio... asked about Heiskanen making the team this year

I mean .... it's at least a possibility. It's a massive jump from Liiga to NHL, but when you look at how he performed in the Liiga playoffs where he's essentially the #1 D on a top team in the league .... it would be silly to say it's impossible.

That said, you can't go in to 2017 with a spot for him. He has to force a trade. That has to be a Janmark type situation. I don't mean leave Oleksiak, Nemeth, Pateryn, and Heiskanen to fight for one spot. I mean you get a guy, Smith if that's who you want, Methot, Hamonic ... a legitimate defender.

Then, if in the off chance Heiskanen blows everyone away, you make a trade to make a spot. I'm fine getting him in the AHL immediately to see if he could replace Hamhuis in 2018-19, but you shouldn't really plan on him being an NHLer this season. He should have to force you to not cut him or send him down.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

If this is accurate, are they looking for a LD for Honka? Maybe they were fine with Lindell-Klingberg ...

I also would like to have 4 better defensemen than Hamhuis. Not sure we can (or should) make that happen right this minute.

Josh Bogorad on BAD Radio... asked about Heiskanen making the team this year

I'd rather not push him and Honka at once but if he's good enough then do it. We still need to add an experienced left shot if he does and that is what makes me want to wait for him to be the natural Hamhuis replacement.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Almost 5PM....gotta think if Nill was pushing for a Methot trade it would be done or a discarded idea by now, no? Unless they wait until draft day tomorrow because picks are involved......

Another day tomorrow for us to waste internets watching......

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
The worst trade is obviously the Russell trade, but that has to be evaluated with the fact that it was a pretty typical deadline deal. At the end of the day, you still gave up a big bag of suck.

There's no sugar coating that one. It was a terrible trade the moment it was announced and not just because of the number of assets moved but because he was so terrible in Calgary, not to mention at other stops, that Nill had no business being interested in the first place.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Hockey season doesn't start until October so no. I don't imagine there's a hard 5 PM deadline today.

________

Feb 6, 2006
Almost 5PM....gotta think if Nill was pushing for a Methot trade it would be done or a discarded idea by now, no? Unless they wait until draft day tomorrow because picks are involved......

Another day tomorrow for us to waste internets watching......

Stars are in talks with a lot of teams for defenseman, there's more defenseman on Vegas then just Methot.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
The sweet spot for a move is from now till our second pick tomorrow, since 29 and 3 are our highest value trade chips.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
I think Heiskanen is too good a talent to pass up at 3, just have to take him.

Hoever if we do trade it, I dont think we can trade the pick away until pick 2 is made tomorrow, in the off chance Patrick or Hischier are passed on by NJ/PHI and are there at 3 then taking one of those centres sets us up down the middle for 10 years.

Assuming Patrick/hishcier goes 1-2. My preference would be draft Heiskanen at 3, and use either pick 29 or 39 to find away to get a vet like Methot.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I mean .... it's at least a possibility. It's a massive jump from Liiga to NHL, but when you look at how he performed in the Liiga playoffs where he's essentially the #1 D on a top team in the league .... it would be silly to say it's impossible.

That said, you can't go in to 2017 with a spot for him. He has to force a trade. That has to be a Janmark type situation. I don't mean leave Oleksiak, Nemeth, Pateryn, and Heiskanen to fight for one spot. I mean you get a guy, Smith if that's who you want, Methot, Hamonic ... a legitimate defender.

Then, if in the off chance Heiskanen blows everyone away, you make a trade to make a spot. I'm fine getting him in the AHL immediately to see if he could replace Hamhuis in 2018-19, but you shouldn't really plan on him being an NHLer this season. He should have to force you to not cut him or send him down.

1st pair in the AHL to start, when injuries hit give him a shot as long as he's played well/great.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
This year.

I've been thinking before that he could be full NHL ready in 18-19.
But you never know.

I ask because I thought he was either in Finland or the NHL in 17-18. I think it's a lot to expect he can play in the NHL right away.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I ask because I thought he was either in Finland or the NHL in 17-18. I think it's a lot to expect he can play in the NHL right away.

He can play in the AHL, and he has said he hasn't decided where he plays. He'll listen to teams wishes.

His agent won't recommend AHL, reason being stupid why play in the AHL over Liiga :shakehead

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm bummed Forsberg is part of the Saad trade. I think he has a chance to be a good backup, and I think he'll flourish in Chicago behind Crawford.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
There's no way DAL doesn't make a move for a D. Dreger just tweeted Nill is trying, and told the person who tweeted at her "define skill".

So there's that. Sounds like he might be going after a depth D is that's Dreger's response.

Try harder Nill.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Russo says Scandella might have been traded. Team was asking for a 1st round pick. Virtually no chance it's Dallas I would assume, but give the names out there, he's probably best case scenario at this point.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
We're not gonna do a damn thing

That's not the worst option. When we see a trade that he should have pulled off, I'll be angry with you. That said, with prices this high, there's not a trade that's happened he should have/could have been in.

The only trade so far that they could have been in on was Hjalmarsson, and Dallas' comparable would have been Julius Honka and Jason Dickinson. There shouldn't be one person who would have been happy with that cost for Hjalmarsson, and it likely would have cost Dallas more since they're the same division rather than same conference like Arizona.

So we all really want to get a D in here, but we all have to be realistic this team can be good next year. They're no where near make a deal at all costs though, especially with a guy like Smith sitting there in free agency who you might get free and clear.

I don't think it's going to happen, but if Dallas makes the 3rd, 29th, and 39th picks in this draft, I'm not going to be sad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad