Speculation: 2017 Offseason Thread - Part II: Drafts Galore

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
This is a tough place to be because none of these d-man being kicked around are ideal. They all have warts, which is why they are available.

I don't know enough about several of the names being tossed around to rank them, but I am committed to my position on Team Do Something. Despite the worries about these guys, I have to think several of them can still come in and improve the D.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
I can't for the life of me embed a tweet but Bob McKenzie tweeted that Methot is thinking about staying in Vegas and not wanting to move now.

We shall see.

Timani

I can't for the life of me embed a tweet but Bob McKenzie tweeted that Methot is thinking about staying in Vegas and not wanting to move now.

We shall see.

For the best, I say, unless it is a reasonable trade.

B Smith would be my first choice, and then if Dallas cannot find a good match for trade, I might choose to wait until a better opportunity presents itself, even if that means into the season. I'd obviously rather not do that, but if that's how it goes, at least the Stars have a better idea of what they have with the current guys and how they play in Hitchcock's system.

There would be an outcry to do something from many people though, and I don't know if they could hold off that long. In the end, I say they make at least one move for a Dman, I just don't want to get locked into 5 years of Alzner or trade too much for Methot, even though he'd probably be fine.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah ... that does not say he's thinking about staying in Vegas. That's saying he has no desire to play for those teams on his list.

If we're reading the tea leaves, that's saying someone like Montreal or Toronto was hoping that the thought of staying in Las Vegas was so bad, he'd re-consider going to their team.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
While I actually agree that I'd prefer Smith over Methot, it did occur to me that 90% of Nill's bad deals are in free agency, and I can't think of a trade you would say, "That was terrible. What the hell was he thinking?"

I remember looking at his trade list recently, and the worst I can remember actually was still a smart financial trade. The worst hockey trade, moving 1 year of Gonchar for 2 years of Moen not only opened up a permanent spot for Klingberg, but you acquired a part time player for much less money. It was essentially the trade version of a buyout.

The worst trade is obviously the Russell trade, but that has to be evaluated with the fact that it was a pretty typical deadline deal. At the end of the day, you still gave up a big bag of suck for a bag of suck ... other than the 2nd round pick. Again though, not making a trade, in hindsight yeah you'd rather not, but at that time would have been looked at even more poorly.

All of this is to say, regardless of the names, I tend to be more comfortable when he's wheeling and dealing assets than he is contracts.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
While I actually agree that I'd prefer Smith over Methot, it did occur to me that 90% of Nill's bad deals are in free agency, and I can't think of a trade you would say, "That was terrible. What the hell was he thinking?"

I remember looking at his trade list recently, and the worst I can remember actually was still a smart financial trade. The worst hockey trade, moving 1 year of Gonchar for 2 years of Moen not only opened up a permanent spot for Klingberg, but you acquired a part time player for much less money. It was essentially the trade version of a buyout.

The worst trade is obviously the Russell trade, but that has to be evaluated with the fact that it was a pretty typical deadline deal. At the end of the day, you still gave up a big bag of suck for a bag of suck ... other than the 2nd round pick. Again though, not making a trade, in hindsight yeah you'd rather not, but at that time would have been looked at even more poorly.

All of this is to say, regardless of the names, I tend to be more comfortable when he's wheeling and dealing assets than he is contracts.

I think the common thread is that he often has leverage in these trade situations, and when he doesn't as in the Honka for Talbot affair, he walks away. Boston was set on moving Seguin and we had Erikson and Smith, Spezza would only come here, Chicago had to move Sharp's contract. When the player has leverage in the form of the free agent marketplace, he doesn't do so hot.

________

Feb 6, 2006
The biggest advantages of Smith vs Methot is age and not having to give up assets for him.
Stars would be paying for Smith's age 28, to 32/33? His decline will be less at the end of that deal as he's already a great skater, vs what Methot will experience as his skating declines. Stars would be getting 3-4 years of Smith's peak.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I would like to say that Schlemko for a 5th 2 years from now may be the dumbest part of expansion. Could have had Joel Ward or Jannik Hansen and moved em at the deadline for a 2nd easily. And TVR + 7th gets a 2nd. What the heck is happening?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I think the common thread is that he often has leverage in these trade situations, and when he doesn't as in the Honka for Talbot affair, he walks away. Boston was set on moving Seguin and we had Erikson and Smith, Spezza would only come here, Chicago had to move Sharp's contract. When the player has leverage in the form of the free agent marketplace, he doesn't do so hot.

You're making my point. Part of making smart trades is walking away from bad ones. He doesn't seem to walk away from bad contracts though: Gonchar and Niemi. It would obviously be great to have Talbot, but realistically, not at the cost of Honka.

That Talbot trade gives me hope for Methot. Which ever insider today indicated that Dallas wasn't taking the bait on the high cost of Methot is also a positive sign. I'm just saying that if Methot ends up in Dallas, you'd at least expect it wouldn't be a massive overpayment give his history.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
Yeah ... that does not say he's thinking about staying in Vegas. That's saying he has no desire to play for those teams on his list.

If we're reading the tea leaves, that's saying someone like Montreal or Toronto was hoping that the thought of staying in Las Vegas was so bad, he'd re-consider going to their team.

What are you talking about? It actually DOES say that...

I guess I can't read.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Don't hate Methot unless we give up our 2nd 1st. Would rather go the Smith route but I don't think Methot is the end of the world

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
I would like to say that Schlemko for a 5th 2 years from now may be the dumbest part of expansion. Could have had Joel Ward or Jannik Hansen and moved em at the deadline for a 2nd easily. And TVR + 7th gets a 2nd. What the heck is happening?

I suppose the Schlemko thing is a product of Vegas having to take so many defencemen, but a fifth two years from now seems like an awfully easy price to pay. I bet Sharks would have paid that to keep him.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
You're making my point. Part of making smart trades is walking away from bad ones. He doesn't seem to walk away from bad contracts though: Gonchar and Niemi. It would obviously be great to have Talbot, but realistically, not at the cost of Honka.

Yes, you're right here and it seems that more often than not, Nill will walk away from a bad deal. While I would have preferred a run for Talbot or Jones, I don't think the Niemi contract was ridiculous for the track record he had at the time, however.

That Talbot trade gives me hope for Methot. Which ever insider today indicated that Dallas wasn't taking the bait on the high cost of Methot is also a positive sign. I'm just saying that if Methot ends up in Dallas, you'd at least expect it wouldn't be a massive overpayment give his history.

It's an interesting question now, because there's definitely pressure on Nill to have a winning year and he has assets to parlay into something. It'll be interesting to see if he can find leverage as he often does, or if that dissipates with the need to find a D and a top RW in a short amount of time.

I'm sure Nill knows Methot would be an improvement on what he has, but he's also probably looking at the prices Vegas has received on other deals and hedging his bets that he can bring the ask down a bit.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I suppose the Schlemko thing is a product of Vegas having to take so many defencemen, but a fifth two years from now seems like an awfully easy price to pay. I bet Sharks would have paid that to keep him.

They chose to take that many, they didn't have to. IIRC all the option spots they had beyond the required number of forwards and goalies went to defense. There's a tweet about the owner saying they took too many and had to switch one to a forward after they realized their mistake.

They drafted so many bad players they cratered the market themselves in mere hours.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
What are you talking about? It actually DOES say that...

I guess I can't read.

It specifically says, "sense seems to be he'd rather stay in Vegas than alter his list."

That means he submitted a list of 10 teams he would not accept a trade to. The fact the he was selected by Vegas in no way has motivated him to relax on that list. Vegas has 19 NHL teams they can trade with. They can't trade him back to Ottawa, they already own his rights, and he has a no trade of 10 teams.

Again, the reports were that Montreal and Toronto are on his no trade list prior to expansion, and this latest report from McKenzie ONLY says that he'd prefer to play in Vegas over whatever teams he included on his list.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I mean, if TVR is a second, how much could Methot cost? I would give the 39 pick for him and maybe a B prospect or some future 5th rounder.

If he is willing to stay in Vegas, sounds like he likes warm climates and low taxes....how could he not want to come to Big D?

Otherwise, I bet Nill goes with Smith. What are folks saying about Smith as a D? 28 vs 32 and supposedly a better skater is all I know.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Dude .... Friedman said 4 years at $4-$4.5 million is what he thinks Russell gets. That's nuts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad