Speculation: 2017 Off Season Discussion V - rt calls his shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Troll the fans hard:

Keller, Strome, Crouse, and Fischer in Tucson.

Domi-Stepan-Duclair
Perlini-Dvorak-Rieder
Nook-Richardson-McGinn
Rinaldo-Cousins-Latta

:sarcasm:

This made me realize how thin our depth is. Even if Tochett picks the fan favourite lineup for opening night things could get ugly with a few injuries.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I would wager that Anderson can score goals in this league and contribute to an NHL power play. I don't think the same can be said for Martinook. His scoring prowess is underrated but I don't think it's on Amderson's level and Nook certainly won't play on a PP in the NHL. I think he can develop into a good to excellent NHL PKer, however. He's versatile enough to play all three positions up front including center, which should add significantly to his value.

To me, while the value might be close to sideways, the fit is potentially beneficial to both teams. Columbus could use a defensively responsible bottom six center. Arizona could use another RHS with PP potential. It's tough to be too attached to Martinook when you've already got Cousins and Richardson and Crouse and Rieder. Not to mention McGinn. Nook is a solid player and a very useful part of this team but he's not filling a hole, and Anderson would.

Columbus just paid a pretty penny to convince Las Vegas to take Karlsson. However, that also included a cap dump and may have been just as much about protecting their goalie as it was about protecting Anderson. And anyway, Martinook is essentially the player you'd get if you combined Anderson with Karlsson. He's basically the half way point between those players. Columbus didn't give up nothing when they lost Karlssson. He was a piece they valued. I think they'd value Martinook too.

To me, this trade makes all the sense in the world on paper. Of course that's only if Columbus wants to do a one for one. More likely is they want to combine Anderson with draft picks and prospects for a much more effective player than Martinook. They probably want something approaching a premier level player and Anderson could be a part of the package for a guy like that.

Sorry, but I keep Martinook. He is the type of player the Coyotes need.

I'd offer Duclair. No way Torts is gonna like him. Lazy floaters tend to be in his doghouse pretty quickly. Can't lose that trade.

PS: I really don't know why everybody wants to trade Martinook. About the last guy I'd trade.

Why are we even talking trades at the moment. If Duclair bounces back, which I think he will, that kind of trade could haunt us for years. There is no reason to panic at this time of the year. Let's just slow down and bit and see what happens at the training camp. Haste makes waste.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Domi Stepan Duclair
Perlini Dvo Fischer
Crouse Strome Merkley
Martinook Richardson Reider
Cousins McGinn

Too much to hope for?

Not bad. Just that Duclair, Crouse and Strome should start in Tucson. I'd also like to dump McUseless somewhere secluded.

Domi, Stepan, Rieder
Perlini, Dvorak, Fischer
Martinook, MacInnis, Merkley
Cousins, Richardson, Latta
Gaudet, Rinaldo

Top6 should be pretty much set in stone. Bottom six looks rough...some of them should/will start in Tucson. It would make sense to sign a few FA's or trade for some younger punts. Size and righties would make sense. If Merkley doesn't make the team, which is likely to happen, then they need to acquire a serious righty forward. No way around it.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Merkley needs pro time in the A.

Maybe but that would be a fun team to watch. Merkley is the only guy in that lineup that I think should be a question mark to grab a spot. Fischer might be the best right wing we have right now, Crouse proved he belongs last year and it's time for Strome to step up.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Domi Stepan Duclair
Perlini Dvo Fischer
Crouse Strome Merkley
Martinook Richardson Reider
Cousins McGinn

Too much to hope for?

So you already casting off the Coyotes new shiny toy in the name of Keller?

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
So you already casting off the Coyotes new shiny toy in the name of Keller?

Maybe Keller for Merkley. I know size isn't as important as I tend to think it is but he looks like he needs to add some. He looks so small out there but I guess he's not that much smaller than Marner. He certainly isn't Garland small.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Not bad. Just that Duclair, Crouse and Strome should start in Tucson. I'd also like to dump McUseless somewhere secluded.

Domi, Stepan, Rieder
Perlini, Dvorak, Fischer
Gaudet, Rinaldo

Top6 should be pretty much set in stone. Bottom six looks rough...some of them should/will start in Tucson. It would make sense to sign a few FA's or trade for some younger punts. Size and righties would make sense. If Merkley doesn't make the team, which is likely to happen, then they need to acquire a serious righty forward. No way around it.

I see MacInnis replacing Richardson next year. Duclair will be on the roster and Crouse already proved he's NHL ready. I really hope Strome proves you doubters wrong this season. And we definitely don't need any more scrubs. The clones should follow their leader to St. Louis.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Domi, Stepan, Rieder
Perlini, Dvorak, Fischer
Gaudet, Rinaldo

I really really really like MacInnis, probably more than most, but I think Strome beats him out for a spot. With Richardson gone next year, MacInnis will step right in. I don't think Latta, Rinaldo and Gaudet will see much NHL action if any this year. Every year we have a surprise or two at training camp so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Maybe Keller for Merkley. I know size isn't as important as I tend to think it is but he looks like he needs to add some. He looks so small out there but I guess he's not that much smaller than Marner. He certainly isn't Garland small.

Size alone isn't important. But you need to be strong on the puck and size also can't be an excuse for not playing against the puck. I'm not necessarily against small players. Brayden Point for example is brilliant. Nobody expected him to make the team last season but he's done it all for the Bolts. Great both on and against the puck. What I don't want is a Gaudreau or Marner who need a bodyguard and offensive zone starts in order to survive in the NHL. All those points they score are just hot garbage considering what it takes to carry a player like that.
I want Keller in the NHL when he's as ready as for example Point and not before.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I see MacInnis replacing Richardson next year. Duclair will be on the roster and Crouse already proved he's NHL ready. I really hope Strome proves you doubters wrong this season. And we definitely don't need any more scrubs. The clones should follow their leader to St. Louis.

I agree. Let the rebuild continue.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Crouse could of course play next season but it's in everybodys best interest to give him a full AHL season. Same with Keller. He could probably score a few PP-points in the NHL next season but that would hurt him in the long run. Like I said. I don't want Marner vol.2...

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I really really really like MacInnis, probably more than most, but I think Strome beats him out for a spot. With Richardson gone next year, MacInnis will step right in. I don't think Latta, Rinaldo and Gaudet will see much NHL action if any this year. Every year we have a surprise or two at training camp so it will be interesting to see what happens.

I'm with you on MacInnis. I liked him a lot last year and he looked even better in rookie camp this year. I hope he's able to put up some numbers in Tucson. Him replacing Richardson next year looks almost too perfect. I'm hoping the surprise is Merkely. Would be nice to have two RHS wingers make the every day lineup.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Size alone isn't important. But you need to be strong on the puck and size also can't be an excuse for not playing against the puck. I'm not necessarily against small players. Brayden Point for example is brilliant. Nobody expected him to make the team last season but he's done it all for the Bolts. Great both on and against the puck. What I don't want is a Gaudreau or Marner who need a bodyguard and offensive zone starts in order to survive in the NHL. All those points they score are just hot garbage considering what it takes to carry a player like that.

I would gladly take Marner or Gaudreau. I love watching Point play, but I would take the other two any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Crouse could of course play next season but it's in everybodys best interest to give him a full AHL season. Same with Keller. He could probably score a few PP-points in the NHL next season but that would hurt him in the long run. Like I said. I don't want Marner vol.2...

I think it's safe to say everyone but you would be doing back flips if Keller put up a Marner vol.2esk 61 points next season.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I would gladly take Marner or Gaudreau. I love watching Point play, but I would take the other two any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

You'd have to take them for free of course but you really shouldn't take them over Point. I'm really surprised Babcock allowed this to happen. Probably too much pressure in Toronto but Marner should not be in the NHL at this point. He's about as one dimensional as Gaudreau who needs not one but two babysitters. Take Monahan and Backlund away and the kid gets destroyed every single game.
Point on the other side can play in any role no matter what. At the end when Tampa tried to rescue their season Point was their top Center playing 20mins per game. He was their go to guy on both PP and PK. He did no matter what. He can play in a shutdown role and he can score. Marner and Gaudreau can play on the PP and 3vs3. With a bit of luck they don't gather too much minus if you give them loads of offensive zone starts against weak opposition alongside two babysitters:laugh:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think it's safe to say everyone but you would be doing back flips if Keller put up a Marner vol.2esk 61 points next season.

Look. I get it. The NHL is all about scoring. But those kind of players are never gonna win you anything. Might get you a few points during the regular season but that's it. A one dimensional player is always gonna be a handicap...even more so during the playoffs. A one dimensional player is never gonna lead you to a cup...even if he scores 80 points per season.
Again. I want Keller on the team when he's ready to look after himself, when he's ready to play in all situations without being a liability.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Ideally:
Domi - Stepan - Duclair
Perlini - Dvorak - Fischer
McGinn - Strome - Keller
Martinook - Cousins/Richardson - Rieder

OR

Domi - Stepan - Duclair
Rieder - Strome - Merkley
Martinook - Richardson - McGinn
Cousins

Keller can be first call-up (if he's ready)

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
Domi - Stepan - Duclair
Crouse - Martinook - Rieder
McGinn - Richardson - Cousins
Strome

Nook is a better NHL center right now than Strome or Cousins, and he's also the perfect guy for Strome to force to the wing. If he can't, bring up Keller after two weeks and see if he can steal Duclair's job. If not, rinse and repeat.
I don't think Crouse belongs in the A, he's NHL level but has bottom 6 hands. That's all I've ever seen from him and I don't see time in the A changing that. Leave him on the forecheck from hell line with Nook and Rieder.
Fischer is ready and actually has top 6 hands, Duclair is more questionable as a top 6'er to me than Fisch.
McGinn, Cousins and Duclair can take turns watching while Strome and Keller audition.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
Interesting stats - Duclair

I know Duclair had a tough year, but I never though he wasn't out there trying.

Was looking at the numbers:
Duclair = 58 Games - 5 G, 10 A, .26 Pts/G 13:17 Avg/Icetme
McGinn = 72 Games - 9 G, 8 A, .24 Pts/G 13:10 Avg/Icetime
Doan = 74 Games - 6 G, 21 A, .36 Pt/G 15:02 Avg/Icetime
MrtNook = 77 Games - 11 G, 14 A, .32 Pt/G 15:40 Avg/Icetime

As bad as Duclair was - McGinn was worse in Pts/Gm. Doan and Martinook weren't much better with 2 more minutes of ice time
per game.

I would really like to see Duclair excel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad