2017 nhl redraft 1-15

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Heiskanen and Makar play on good teams and have proper supporting structures in place. With NJ playing as badly as they have and with their defensive system being heavily criticized by many of those who watch the team, it's hard to say how the two defenders would look if they switched places with Hischier. They are both wonderfully talented players, but they aren't "Hynes" kind of players. Neither are physical and both would be hung out to dry by the system game after game.

Go watch Hischier in the World Championships. When the shackles are off he's much better than he can show now where he is being asked to play a defensive role many nights. NJ played PIT recently and had to defend a late game one goal lead. With Zajac on the bench, they roll Hischier out for the d zone draw against Malkin. Watch NJ play and watch the centers constantly over play defensively.

Put Hischier on COL and I'm guessing he's doing much better from an offensive standpoint. I don't see Hischier ever having the offense of Petterson but until you show me the defenders on the NJ dumpster fire team it's hard to really evaluate their play in a similar context to Hischier.

Just my thoughts. All of the top four and wonderful in their own way and I'm guessing each fan base is happy with the player they have which is the most important element to me.

I've heard this "good team vs bad team" argument so many times before it's not even funny. Did Pettersson have huge support and superb team last year? Well lets see, Vancouver finished 23th, being one the worst teams in the entire league. Did it stop Elias from scoring on a near PPG rate in his rookie year? Nope. In fact he made his team better, much better and without him they'd have done even worse. Perhaps, just perhaps if Hischier had a similar impact then New Jersey might not be a bottom dweller right now (it's not like the team has zero talent).

There are plenty of players who've done well in the World Championships, but haven't brought that game in the small rink. I don't see the significance to the argument why that would place him on the same tier with Pettersson, Heiskanen and Makar. Perhaps he develops in a different pace and eventually catches up, but that's a whole another story. As of today those three are the ones that would be going in the top 3 (in no particular order). We'll have plenty of time to see if that order changes in the future.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I've heard this "good team vs bad team" argument so many times before it's not even funny. Did Pettersson have huge support and superb team last year? Well lets see, Vancouver finished 23th, being one the worst teams in the entire league. Did it stop Elias from scoring on a near PPG rate in his rookie year? Nope. In fact he made his team better, much better and without him they'd have done even worse. Perhaps, just perhaps if Hischier had a similar impact then New Jersey might not be a bottom dweller right now (it's not like the team has zero talent).

There are plenty of players who've done well in the World Championships, but haven't brought that game in the small rink. I don't see the significance to the argument why that would place him on the same tier with Pettersson, Heiskanen and Makar. Perhaps he develops in a different pace and eventually catches up, but that's a whole another story. As of today those three are the ones that would be going in the top 3 (in no particular order). We'll have plenty of time to see if that order changes in the future.

Taylor Hall stinks this year in NJ. When he gets traded watch him play really well. I understand your point but a young non-physical defender would be miscast misused and mistreated by the coaches with the system the team plays. Unless Heiskanen and Makar can play defense and goalie at the same time they’d be on for numerous goals against. Then they’d be called out for not playing physical and any time they make any mistake they’d be blamed by the coach while veterans making worse mistakes do so without consequence. Then they would be benched because they wouldn’t be playing to their best according to the coach - punishment for not playing physically. When they return to the lineup their great passes would be squandered by Hall who is shooting about 3% on the year. They’d be so frazzled head lose confidence and start playing not to make mistakes. But I have no doubt they would look elite in NJ this season in that environment.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Always worth talking about, but for me it’s to early for a redraft. Valimaki and Vilardi are two guys I could see being top ten based on their skill, size, and IQ. However, both have dealt with major injuries over the past couple of years. Elvenes is another I could see being top 30 once it all shakes out. To many variables at this point and lots of these guys are barely 20.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Always worth talking about, but for me it’s to early for a redraft. Valimaki and Vilardi are two guys I could see being top ten based on their skill, size, and IQ. However, both have dealt with major injuries over the past couple of years.

Neither of these players goes in the top 30 of a re-draft, largely due to these major injuries and the ~1.5 years of development time that they've missed/are slated to miss since the 2017 draft.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Neither of these players goes in the top 30 of a re-draft, largely due to these major injuries and the ~1.5 years of development time that they've missed/are slated to miss since the 2017 draft.

At this moment I agree that neither should due to injury. I just feel they both have the talent to be there in a couple years. Two years is way to early to redraft. The 2015 draft is still shaking out a year ago no one would have had Hintz or Cirelli top 30 now both are slam dunks.

Reactions: Wings4Life

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Yeah it's probably just your bias. Liljegren (a defenceman) is currently outscoring Poehling in the AHL this season, and would go ahead of him in a re-draft, similarly to the actual 2017 draft.
We all know looking at stat line is the best way to evaluate prospect, specially with an immense sample size of 20 games. Context, what is that? Past performances, awards, play style I don't even care!
Just joking, I can see an argument for Liljegren being ahead. However, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary the many times I saw him. Saw some very good flashes from Poehling at many levels, not just in terms of goals or assist. I think he has a higher IQ and better physical tools and that's why I like him better.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
1. Pettersson
2. Makar
3. Heiskanen
4. Hischier
5. Patrick
6. Necas
7. Glass
8. Frost
9. Thomas
10. Chytil

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
You may be right, but you will have a hard time convincing me that you've watched Hischier play and aren't just going on stats.

There is a big difference between a PPG player in EP, and a .65 PPG player in Hischier. Sure, Hischier does a lot of other things well, but so does EP, they both play pretty well rounded games. Not to knock Hischier, but I don't think any GM would take him over Pettersson, Makar or Hesikanen at this stage.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
There is a big difference between a PPG player in EP, and a .65 PPG player in Hischier. Sure, Hischier does a lot of other things well, but so does EP, they both play pretty well rounded games. Not to knock Hischier, but I don't think any GM would take him over Pettersson, Makar or Hesikanen at this stage.

While you are almost certainly correct, EP isn’t the same player on NJ. He’s sitting some nights for an unwillingness to play with enough physicality to satisfy the coach and no one is burying his passes. He’s immensely talented but I don’t know if Wayne Gretzky would play well In NJ right now.

Reactions: BCNate

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Being a 'class act' and 'underrated' doesn't magically make him a better player than someone who is clearly a step ahead.

Nobody said that, that's entirely a different point. I'm a devils fan and I'd rank the top:

1. Pettersson
2. Makar
3. Heiskanen

..yet I wouldn't want devils to trade Nico to any of them. I'm too mentally invested having watched all his games from the start, I'm sure many fans can relate. In fan's perspective sometimes having the right players is more important than having the best players.

Reactions: My3Sons and d rake

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Just for fun...

1. Petey
2. Makar
3. Hischier
4. Heiskanen
5. Glass
6. Patrick
7. Necas
8. Chytil
9. Suzuki
10. Thomas
11. Jokiharju
12. Brannstrom
13. Rasmussen
14. Frost
15. Comtois
16. Kostin
17. Mittelstadt
18. Liljegren
19. Foote
20. Vaakanainen
21. Hague

EDIT: forgot Brannstrom

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Was curious to see how the 2017 draft is looking in the top 15 and who is looking like a bust. If you had to rank the top 15 right now. From the draft:
1. Hischier
2.Patrick
3.Heiskanen
4. Makar
5.Pettersson
6. Glass
7.Andersson
8. Mittelstadt
9.Rasmussen
10.Tippett
11. vilardi
12. Necas
13. Suzuki
14. Foote
15. Brannstrom

Mine:

1. Hischier
2. Pettersson
3. Heiskanen
4. Patrick
5. Mittelstadt
6. Tolvanen
7. Vesalainen
8. Glass
9. Necas
10. Makar
11. Rasmussen
12. Vilardi
13. Chytil
14. Jokiharju
15. Tippett
16. Andersson
I know these rankings might be weird, but I think this is where they are in terms of value as a player right now. There are a lot of other players that are in the convo too, like Thomas, Lind, yamamoto, Frost, Poehling, liljegren, Hague and Timmins that could make the top 15 swell

Now that you mention it...I think this one is more vinegar that wine looking back! ;-0

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Makar/Heiskanen are clearly the top 2 with Suzuki and Pettersson as a distant 3/4 and then a cluster of players after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad